Page 233 of 605 FirstFirst ... 133 183 223 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 243 283 333 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,825 of 15113
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    It was raining about an inch an hour for the ride home, so I got soaked....(no rain gear).

Then it snowed at +2C....

Just an inch build-up.

Rode in on the slicks this morning....I stood up on a spiral ramp over the LRT tracks...rear-end went out and I went down on my shoulder...

Should stayed sitting....
    That sounds like a bad night all around, hope your shoulder is not hurt too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

For some reason, I haven`t been able to insert images for about a year now. It used to work for me, and I see it still works for other people. Anybody else no longer able to manage it?

There`s more snow in your picture than we had all "winter"!
    Do the gators and the moose get along well together, or are they constantly fighting it out?
    I only tried that image method a couple weeks ago, but no dice.

All our gators get along with the moose fine, but on Weds. nite the Gov tried to chase 4 bears away from his birdfeeders while dressed in less than the bears, and got charged, barely making it back in the house safely. I think I'll send him pajamas.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    For some reason, I haven`t been able to insert images for about a year now. It used to work for me, and I see it still works for other people. Anybody else no longer able to manage it?
    When the image does not show up using the [IMG] [/IMG] tags, it's usually a permissions problem with the image. The image has to be at the end of a publically-accessible URL...you may be able to see it, but you have to make sure that everyone has permission to see it.

weirdo
    In case anybody is interrested, I just noticed that Harris has Schmidt E6 secondaries on closeout for $80. Tempting, but I`d better pass.

Schmidt Schmidt E6 Secondary Headlight - harriscyclery.net

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was almost hit by a minivan yesterday. Some kind of delivery service. I was riding along in a bike lane about to pass the van on the right going up a hill (not a good idea, I guess), and when I'm right next to him, he starts moving into my bike lane! At first I think he's just an idiot, but before I can react he keeps moving right. I was able to squeeze by just as he turns into a driveway that I didn't know existed. When I looked back and his car was inches from my rear wheel. I never paid attention to the driveway before because while there is a ramp in the curb, 10' later there is a tall fence that extends the length of the block, so it never even registered with me that someone might turn there.

I stopped and yelled at him, and he seemed genuinely embarassed/apologetic and said he didn't see me. I sort of felt bad for yelling at him but I also don't. I escaped shaken up but otherwise unscathed, though I think I have an even more cynical view of drivers vs. bikes now.

I think I need to work on making some obnoxiously bright daytime running lights now. I have a set of Reelights, but they are mounted at hub level, so not very visible. They are also not very bright. I could run one of my rear flashers like the Superflash Turbo during the day, but I don't like to drain the batteries, and it's a small extra thing to remember to turn it on and off all the time. I'd like to build some lights that run off a sizeable (but not heavy) rechargeable battery that automatically turn on when I'm moving. I also want them to have a large lit area (about the size of car headlights/tail lights) for best visibility as I've found small blinking LEDs are not very noticeable from a car.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I got tapped by a bus on Friday. I was waiting at the lights and the bus pulled alongside to turn left. The driver mumbled something out the window at me. I said I couldn't hear him so she shook hi head as if to say "don't worry" so I left it at that. Next thing I felt a bump from my back wheel. The bus had a long back end and as it turned around the corner the tail hit my wheel. Thankfully it was just a light touch!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
    I stopped and yelled at him, and he seemed genuinely embarassed/apologetic and said he didn't see me. I sort of felt bad for yelling at him but I also don't....
    I wouldn't - he passed you at one point I'm guessin - at least you were in his mirror at one point.

I have no love for people claiming they did not see 'X' (mostly)
    The responsibility of maneuvering a 2k lb vehicle in public is non-existent in most drivers.
    It should be treated as one of the most important things you do all day (unless you are a brain surgeon, or a rocket scientist)
    uggh!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't think he ever passed me. He was stopped at a light, and I was coming from behind. 1000 feet later I was starting to pass him. By the time he decided to turn (he seemed confused about where he was going), I was right in his blind spot. But yes, he should have seen me coming from behind before I tried to pass him.
    Matt

mtbr member
    I think I need to work on making some obnoxiously bright daytime running lights now. I have a set of Reelights, but they are mounted at hub level, so not very visible. They are also not very bright. I could run one of my rear flashers like the Superflash Turbo during the day, but I don't like to drain the batteries, and it's a small extra thing to remember to turn it on and off all the time. I'd like to build some lights that run off a sizeable (but not heavy) rechargeable battery that automatically turn on when I'm moving. I also want them to have a large lit area (about the size of car headlights/tail lights) for best visibility as I've found small blinking LEDs are not very noticeable from a car.
    You might read this thread: A Light Reflection on Side Visibility

I aim the 1000 lumen apiece headlights out at 45 degrees for day visibility. My tail lights are over 350 lumens combined.

All the lights and hi-vis clothing will not be seen by drivers not paying enough attention to wielding 2 tons or more of deadly vehicle. I have found a parade-ground level shout has worked to avoid disaster, the AIrzound is great if you have time to use it. Brakes are a great answer in some cases. Beating on the side of a crowding vehicle is fine if it saves life and limb.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Oy, two close ones. Glad you both walked away unscathed.

RPK, were you between the bus and the curb, or over a lane with the bus on the "inside"?

...6585, if he never passed you, no rear light would have helped yesterday, but it might in the future. Can you just use rechargeables in the SF? My tail light is dyno powered now, but before I had that I also thought about hooking up an external battery to my old tail light by a jumper lead and dummy batteries. I`m not much on electronics, but I`m pretty sure there`s a way to wire up several batteries in order to get the same voltage as the one to three in a blinkie, but with much higher capacity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It was two lanes, I was between them at the head of the queue. The lane on the right was going straight with me and left lane was turning left.

I've put it down to one of those things I'm learning as a cycle commuter to be wary of.

Moderator Moderator
    Yikes, glad you both are OK.

RPK, I wonder what the bus driver said - obviously he saw you if he said something - probably "Watch this!" or "You better pedal like crazy".

...6585, scarey but true that most drivers don't check for bikes alongside them before turning, even when there is a bike lane. I guess you just educated one.

Nice day for a ride.....
    I just did my first commute to work last week, it was great, can't wait to do more. I have alot of respect for you guys / gals that ride everyday. Hopefully I can work myself up to it.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post
    I just did my first commute to work last week, it was great, can't wait to do more.
    Glad you enjoyed it- that`s the number one reason to do it for most of us!

Woodway, I don`t think it`s a permision thing that now prevents me from inserting images. Most of the ones I`ve tried lately have been from my own images hosted on other public sites and from work, where I don`t have access to my photo library. My Photobucket albums are all designated public, the ones on Crazyguy are viewable by anybody, and ones I`ve tried reposting from old mtbr posts don`t show up even for me, when I`m logged in. I kind of wonder if its because of an outdated browser. Experiment with my home computer:

EDIT: okay, it does still work from my home computer (where I really don`t need it), at least with small Ogres.
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 04-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Joyous summer like commute on the road bike. No Heavy clothes, no cold temps, no serious wind, 50 degrees warming to 80 later today. I remember that I can make it to work in about 35 minutes instead of the hour it takes in the worst case winter commutes.

I'm taking the afternoon off to do the first wave of garden planting.

(Repeat for tomorrow)

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ We're not quite there, but I did get to shed a layer... 40 this morning, will be 60 for the way home. I dragged myself out of bed 20 minutes early and took the Ogre on its first singlegrack adventure this morning. I got off of it in a cool section of pine forest trail to take a picture, and I almost couldn't find it again because of the camo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture2.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Wow. Glad you guys are OK! It's always scary having run-ins like that...especially when drivers are purposefully aggressive.

Didn't ride today...legs are still really dead feeling. Not sure what's going on at this point. Last week wasn't anything I haven't done before...

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Wow, just read back to find out what you were talking about.
    On Friday morning I actually counted cars... I had 4 pass me going the same direction as me, and 2 going the other way. 6 cars total for my 6 mile commute. I do not envy you guys who are dealing with busses and "real" traffic. I lived and rode in LA () for a few years, and I get the constant potential for carnage. Glad you guys are OK.

mtbr member
    No doubt. Fortunately, Episodes like that are very rare.

Most of my ride is a four lane road with a speed limit of 45mph, though most people go 55 or so on it. Many have it worse than me. I usually just take the lane and hope for the best

I wish I had some more off road options! Especially, because then I could easily justify an Ogre...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Saturday I rode 40 miles with light wind in 70 degree weather. Today it was 15 degree windchill and 35mph headwind. Not as enjoyable as my weekend ride!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Good advice on the lights. I've been planning on making some lights for a while, but I never got around to it. I started a thread with some good discussion a while back. I know more rear lights wouldn't have helped in this situation, which is why I want a good front light too. It needs to be bright but securely attached to the bike so no one swipes it (I wouldn't want to use any of my expensive night riding lights).

I considered getting an Airzounds horn, but I don't know that it would have really helped. By the time I was able to react, I was already passed the guy, and by the time he would have reacted to my horn, it would be too late to change the outcome. I can't really think of any situation where it would help to to have a horn, but if someone can give me a good hypothetical situation, I would consider buying one.

Also on a related note, I was driving around last night and over the span of my 5 minute trip I saw at 4 bikes with no lights, barely visible, with chains squeaking so loudly that I could hear them from my car as I passed. I think it's unfortunate that they either don't know why they should have lights or that they choose not to use them. These people are making us look bad, making it harder for drivers to navigate around bikes at night in the city.
    Matt

weirdo
    I went out yesterday for a ~4 hour road ride on my heavenly backyard loop. Mmmm... sunshine and light winds
    About 15 minutes out, I was repentant for leaving without gloves, but after an hour my fingers were toasty enough. Aside from nice weather, I lucked out and found myself in the middle of a colegiate race, which was pretty cool. Yesterday`s route started with a dirt shortcut directly from my neighborhood to a 25 mile long rolly, curvy road heading out of town. As I was geting close to the pavement, I saw a guy on a road bike toodling along in front of me, so I laid on the gas and caught up with him to chat. He explained that he was out to cheer on his son, and there were several groups of racers already on the road, only the second women`s group still behind us. A few minutes later, we saw the women racers comming up behind us and pulled off to watch them go by and cheer. Eventually, we met up with the other groups heading back after their turn around and did the same. It was kind of fun to watch from so close.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I do not envy you guys who are dealing with busses and "real" traffic. I lived and rode in LA () for a few years, and I get the constant potential for carnage.
    I feel for the poor riders with traffic AND ice!

I Ride for Donuts
    Cool. Do you ride the McCarran loop? I've wondered about doing that...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I almost couldn't find it again because of the camo
    Hey CB, that's a great pic, but I could not help but to think how much better it would be if only your ogre was in it...

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Cloudy 36F commute this AM, lots of Right Hook near misses, glad I commute defensively! No ice, but still lots of snow on the bike trails. Having to stick to the roads still...

mtbr member
    ...I want a good front light too. It needs to be bright but securely attached to the bike so no one swipes it ...I considered getting an Airzounds horn... but if someone can give me a good hypothetical situation, I would consider buying one.
    Only my dyno light on the errand bike and the bolt on double tail light on The Duchess are not QR and go with me. I also found that you need more power in the day than at night. I can go with half power at night, just fine. But half power in the day had a guy pull out on me.

The Airzound is a good preventative if you need to get a driver's attention (backing out of a drive, for example as they are apt to use the entire road here requiring a lawn excursion). It also prevented a lawn care pickup with trailer wiping me out on my last ride. They tend not to stop and take far too little time to look where they are going, and likely he was not used to the trailer. He started to pull out as I got to him, and I was ready for that, while he did not stop, instead he cut the corner more (I think he completely misjudged my speed and his slow acceleration with lawn chemicals on board. I sprinted for the stop sign of the 4-way ahead as he could not get that long a setup by and back in such a short distance and oncoming traffic would have been a problem. You have to anticipate the need for it, and have your finger ready to fire it, though.

BrianMc