Page 232 of 429 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332 ... LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,600 of 21410
    Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Cool, we are riding from the parking lot, up and over to Willow, then to Wasilla on Saturday, you should come!

mtbr member
    I'll think about it. The up part freaks me out a bit. I had to walk a good portion of the bit of of the Fishook I was on. The snow was a bit unconsolidated and, well, I'm seriously out of shape, it appears. What time does the ride start?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    10, we always have to walk up to the summit, but most of the time we can ride the rest of the way, some years we do have to push our way through depending on how much snow has fallen and how much wind has pushed the snow around.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Haha, yes- a weather surprise!
    ...Quite a surprise this morning when I crawled out! Could have used an extra pair of socks and my warmer gloves, but did fine other than that.
    Neat trip, nice scenery. That's a cold start in the a.m.! Did you still make some breakfast/coffee, or were you able to pack up and roll to warmer environs?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    ...More high winds today!

"Rain developing. Highs in the 50. Across town...north wind 10 to 20 mph becoming southeast 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 55 mph in the morning...then diminishing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Along the hillside and South Anchorage...southeast wind 20 to 35 mph with gusts t0 55 mph diminishing to 15 to 30 mph in the afternoon. Along Turnagain Arm and higher elevations...southeast wind 45 to 55 mph with gusts 75 to 90 mph decreasing to 40 to 55 mph during the late morning."
    Yikes! Hope you guys didn't blow away up there!

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

The ride home was awesome. I flew across town to the parish where my 5 yr old was practicing for a Christmas thing. After that, we hooked up the new trailer bike and trekked the 7.5 miles home. It was a great time to spend some one on one time with him, since it's difficult with two younger siblings. We got a few stares, a bunch of smiles, and a friendly wave from a police officer.

we spotted a Bald Eagle while leaving the parish. Their recovery in this area has been phenomenal.

And here he is showing it off to his brother after we got home.

Tradere Scriptura Magister
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Well I survived race day on Saturday. First "super-d" downhill race (on my hardtail of course)... achieved my goal of beating someone on a full suspension bike Based on time I would have been 9th of 14 or so in the open class...wound up 2nd of 17 in the 'sport' class.
    Nice hardtail handlin', CB, commuters represent!

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody for sharing. Loved the silhouetted rider with evergreen borders, Rodar. Brother relating his experience is another nice one, Tex.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well, my wife warned me this morning. Winds blasting Vegas (like every where else it seems) with 25-35 mph sustained and 40-55 mph gusts. She tells me it might be a good day to drive. I tell her nonsense cause I'm on the geared bike. Certainly not new to geared bikes, but this was my first commute on one. 30 miles round trip. With wind to my back I sailed to work in less than an hour. She calls me at lunch and asks if I want her to pick me up. Nope, I say confidently. I'm riding gears today. Well, I guess I thought gears sliced through the wind or something. I was wrong. Sustained head winds the entire way home. Two hours to go 15 miles. Knock out first 11 miles in an hour and fifteen minutes. Closer to home I get the harder the wind blows and the colder it gets. Forty-five minutes to go the last four miles. Winds were that bad. I am beat. Time for a warm shower.

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Well, my wife warned me this morning. Winds blasting Vegas (like every where else it seems) with 25-35 mph sustained and 40-55 mph gusts. She tells me it might be a good day to drive. I tell her nonsense cause I'm on the geared bike. Certainly not new to geared bikes, but this was my first commute on one. 30 miles round trip. With wind to my back I sailed to work in less than an hour. She calls me at lunch and asks if I want her to pick me up. Nope, I say confidently. I'm riding gears today. Well, I guess I thought gears sliced through the wind or something. I was wrong. Sustained head winds the entire way home. Two hours to go 15 miles. Knock out first 11 miles in an hour and fifteen minutes. Closer to home I get the harder the wind blows and the colder it gets. Forty-five minutes to go the last four miles. Winds were that bad. I am beat. Time for a warm shower.
    I feel for ya man. Same thing here....but I drove today lol

Beamed from my dumbphone

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Did you still make some breakfast/coffee, or were you able to pack up and roll to warmer environs?
    Ate too much pizza last night, had no interest in breakfast. If somebody had offered to make me a cup of coffee, I would have been very grateful, but wasn`t about to go putzing around and do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Well, I guess I thought gears sliced through the wind or something. I was wrong.
    I bet it would have been a lot longer than that if you didn`t have those gears!
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Enough said...
    How was your commute today?-p1020915.jpg
    That's not really the indoor temp - the transmitter wasn't working so I set it outside.
    Record low in Montpelier VT for today too (18F)

CB of the East
    Great pics and stories all.

So let me get this straight, CB and Rodar live near each other and have never met but CB has met Rodar's truck.

And, wow, 16 out in October. It was around 24 here but some spots felt colder.

RollingRunner and I hit the trails this AM. Pitch black when we left the house but pretty light when we got to the trails head. Almost light enough to get a good picture of Bambi. Almost.
    How was your commute today?-p1020050_crop.jpg

mtbr member
    .....Record low in Montpelier VT for today too (18F)
    What part of Texas is that?
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    53*F and dry this morning. Just right.

Bedwards Of The West
    The storm Rodar got to experience the start of is still hanging out... warmed up a little though. Rain all night, rain for the ride this morning. We need it bad, so it's a good thing. Very, very dark this morning. Heavy cloud cover and the rain making the headlight weak made it hard to even follow the white line on the side of the road when there was oncoming traffic. Why won't people dim their headlights for a bike?

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    So let me get this straight, CB and Rodar live near each other and have never met but CB has met Rodar's truck.
    More or less, yeah.

And those whitetail deer back there are so weird looking! It's like a stuffed animal with the back ripped off.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Nice whitetail Bedwards!

mtbr member
    Good ride this AM. Strangely, no wind in the Valley, but windy in Anchorage. Trying some new gear combos - figured it was wet and nasty yesterday and I have had a pair of REI Taku shell pants laying around for a while - might as well try them out. A bit baggie for my tastes while on the bike, but even with temps at 48F in Anchorage, I was pretty comfortable because of the large side vents. I really wish it would have been raining, though, as that was really why I was testing them out.

Beautiful sunset last night.

How was your commute today?-10548040324_889e56e4c3_b.jpg

Taken from my back deck while grilling up some of these for dinner.

How was your commute today?-10548175483_3a4120363d_b.jpg
    Yes, that is Copper River Red, the best tasting in the world -caught it myself and it was good.

CB of the East
    Hey Block those do look good. I'd call them done just about where they are. If you don't mind, freeze some solid, pack them in dry ice and send them out to me priority mail. OK?

The whitetail just look normal to me. I see them most trail rides.

weirdo
    33 and damp, snowflakes falling straight down and melting instantly on contact. Need to go fetch some groceries for dinner tonight. Salmon sounds really good for some reason?

Wow, Texan- I didn`t see the eagle last night. Now I don`t know how I missed it. Cool!

Record low in Montpelier VT for today too (18F)
    Little Bo Peep to the rescue!
    And those whitetail deer back there are so weird looking!
    ...and that one is standing still- imagine when it starts bouncing and grunting! Yeah, weird.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Frost this morning. Cold in the toes most of the ride in even with my heavy wool socks. I guess these cycling shoes are better ventilated than my Merrells from last winter. I guess I'll try doubling up the socks tomorrow.

Bedwards Of The West
    I am so used to the mule deer that we have that anything else looks a little odd. Same boat as bedwards...if I don't see a few on the commute it's a weird day. I do see some antelope when I head out of the hills towards the desert though. Those are some sweet looking critters...almost look like an African thing.

Ditto on the coolness of the eagle. I saw a couple several times this summer at the lake I frequent. Amazing. Yesterday I took the trail home and had my 2nd or 3rd encounter with what I assume is the same owl (yes, remember the owl ). This is one big dude. I come across him at a side-hill portion of the trail, and he leaves his perch when I come around the corner and sort of parallels me flyind next to the hill for a few seconds... Great Horned Owl for sure...wingspan has to be in the 6 foot range. Scares the poo out of me.

mtbr member
    I have to get more pictures on my commute. Everyone is always posting cool pictures and I never see anything cool.

Took today off from commuting, had to go to UPS to ship the Fulcrum 5's and brakes I took off my road bike plus ship back a pair of PI rain pants that were sent to me in the wrong size. The wheel boxes were a little big to ride 10 miles with and lug up 5 floor to my desk. I am mountain biking after work though.

Bringing the new Kona Jake the Snake frame to the LBS tomorrow to have the headset BB adapter installed (PF30 frame, GXP BB). New wheels will also be in tomorrow, which means it'll be ready to pick up and assemble by the weekend!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    28 F for the 18 miles to work. Nice and brisk, keeps the fair weather riders off the MUP. Almost time to break out the nokians.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ This little blast of snow we got inspired me to get the Nokians installed on the spare wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    ...which means it'll be ready to pick up and assemble by the weekend!!
    Looking forward to seeing the Jake... I came *this* close to buying one of those frames a few years ago.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Another one of those cold weather acclimation training commutes getting ready for winter. Shorts, LS, summer gloves. 35ish. Go to fast, wind chill makes you cold, go to slow, your not working hard enough to stay warm. ;p

Funny, I BBQ'd salmon too! Russian River Red, caught at my cabin. Yum!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I bet it would have been a lot longer than that if you didn`t have those gears!
    Had I been on my singlespeed, I'd have probably walked the last four miles and gotten home at six. . .so longer for sure.

No commute today. Didn't even want to look at a bike today after yesterday's horrendous commute home. Ready to go for tomorrow morning though. I will get a better feel for how long my 15 mile commute home will take as there is no wind in the forecast. I'm thinking an hour and a half (bumped up fifteen minutes from my original guess of an hour and fifteen minutes), as it's all up hill and I'm far from a speed demon. Also have to factor in a few big hills that I'll be spinning at six miles an hour on and many, many traffic lights that'll slow down my average time as well.

mtbr member
    Wind, wind and more wind. Sustained 20-25mph, gusts >45mph, all headwinds fir my ride yesterday. It evened out once I got into the trees but once back on the exposed highway it blew. More of the same today but at least I rode with a tailwind home. This was about the same time as I broke out the studs last year but I'm waiting for the second storm to jump.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I did the most cage-y thing ever today. Got to a place where the trail crosses a road. Looked left, looked right, no cars coming, slowly roll across the road. Totally didn't even see the person on a bicycle riding down the road. Cut her off in slow motion (both of us). Yelled an apology and basically fled down the trail.

Sigh.

Weather predicts winds of 20mph sustained/50mph gusts later this week. So that'll be fun.

Moderator Moderator
    Little Bo Peep to the rescue!
    Ibex Bo Peep cap ruled! Cozy, and no worries of it shifting above the ears. Although when I decided to tie the ties under my chin given the chill, I then forgot to clip the helmet strap The Bo Peep also got a style compliment from a 20somehing upon arrival at work.

Bedwards Of The West
    Nice hardtail handlin', CB, commuters represent!
    Missed this...thanks! There was just enough flat/little climb stuff that I made up for being slow in the techy stuff. Fun day...happy to be in one piece.

Huckin' trails

No snow yet, but the -3C this morning was more than enough to decide to mount my new custom front 26x2.25 studded tire on my commuter. Paired with front disc brake, I hope to be able to tackle some off-road fun without the danger of braking pads freezing from when I was using v-brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

weirdo
    I flatted on the last block of my ride home tonight. At home, I found a new twist to flat tires. The bead wire has started snaking out of my tire and looks to be what punctured the tube (I know it tore the tube when I snagged it during the removal process. It really sucks because it`s an expensive tire (Big Apple) and is nowhwere near its half life yet, but I`m not sure if I`ll be able to trust it again. Has anybody else had that happen, especially with a tire you really hated to throw out? Did you try clipping and taping or what? Was the repair successful?

And pogies to go with that sheeper peeper, MtbX? I can see forgetting the helmet buckle because of the chin string. Does it seem like it would stay in place okay with the string amuptated?

I have to get more pictures on my commute. Everyone is always posting cool pictures and I never see anything cool.
    Maybe next week you`ll see a shiny new JTS on your commute. That would make for some cool pics to post!
    Even if somebody did forget to thread the BB shell

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I did the most cage-y thing ever today....
    I know how that feels. Don`t often get to blow it around other bikes while I`m riding, but I`ve been the bonehead cager myself, and always feel doubly bad since being a rider myself I know first hand that somebody might be out pedalling when/where least expected.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    And pogies to go with that sheeper peeper, MtbX? I can see forgetting the helmet buckle because of the chin string. Does it seem like it would stay in place okay with the string amputated?
    I pulled out the pogies but ended up braving it with my warmest gloves since it was so sunny and going up to the 40's later. The hat would stay in place fine without the strings but I think tying them keeps any cold out better, so I think I'll keep them. They did not interfere with the helmet strap once I remembered to click-it.

Sorry about the tire damage, that's a shame with so much tread left. I've never had that happen.

Straz, all pictures are cool. What has become routine to you is new and interesting to us. Plus pictures are easier to read.

mtbr member

Ride in was pretty typical. I'm realizing that I'm still in recovery mode from the trek I made with the 5 yr old on the trail-a-bike. It seemed like I just couldn't keep a decent speed, and had to keep dropping gears until.

Had a guy swing around me and cut me off on a right hand turn while he blared his horn. I should probably get a marine air horn so I can blow back. The typical arm waving and the dirty scowl just doesn't do much when it's 5:30 in the morning and they can't see you doing it.

My kid has a doctors appt this afternoon, so when I get off work I'll head that way and meet up with the wife. I'm looking forward to it, since there's an awesome bridge over the river that must be crossed. If I do things right, I'm able to hit about 28-30 mph on the decent. It'll be the highlight of my day.

Tradere Scriptura Magister
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

CB of the East
    Missed this...thanks! There was just enough flat/little climb stuff that I made up for being slow in the techy stuff. Fun day...happy to be in one piece.
    I meant to give you props on that too. Nice job. I frigging love my FS bike.

I flatted on the last block of my ride home tonight. At home, I found a new twist to flat tires. The bead wire has started snaking out of my tire and looks to be what punctured the tube (I know it tore the tube when I snagged it during the removal process. It really sucks because it`s an expensive tire (Big Apple) and is nowhwere near its half life yet, but I`m not sure if I`ll be able to trust it again. Has anybody else had that happen, especially with a tire you really hated to throw out? Did you try clipping and taping or what? Was the repair successful?.
    Worth a shot:
    Warranty Policy | Schwalbe North America

I took the long trail way in this morning...NICE! Not as cold as yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Light rain this morning. The good news is that it was 60F, which is about as warm as it's been on sunny afternoons. Drivers sucked. As I was coasting down the steepest hill on my commute, a driver pulled out in front of me (very slowly). My rims were wet and I was worried I wouldn't stop in time, but my brakes caught and I kept my tires from skidding. Then at the base of the same hill, I was turning left and another car (to my left) started pulling out into the intersection when I was almost directly in front of him...

mtbr member
    Good ride in this morning. Was chilly, right around freezing. Started unexpectedly drizzling when I was almost at work, still is, but it's supposed to stop soon.

Got everything for the new CX bike except the wheels, which should be here today. Here's pics of the frame. It will have SRAM Force shifters, derailleurs and crankset and Stan's Iron Cross wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-kona1.jpg  

How was your commute today?-kona2.jpg  

How was your commute today?-kona3.jpg  

How was your commute today?-kona4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Had to give the bike a miss, with the wind still blowing. Weird since down here it was supposed to have been done 2 days ago. I kept looking around for the big bad wolf.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    A good ride in this AM - kinda. So I got home last night and decided to put the Nate's on both the front and rear and to see if I could figure out why the one tire has so much of a hop in it. So I installed them, soaped up the bead to help the tires move on the rim a bit easier, and then pumped them up to 40 PSI (Not fun with a low volume floor pump - who knew it would take 15 minutes to pump those big tires up to that pressure) and then let them sit overnight. Came out to the garage this AM and let out air to ~19 PSI. No problem.

Went back into the house, got my coffee, played with the dogs, oggled the wife, then headed out the door. Front was flat. Argh...

So I pumped it up and headed out the door, figuring I just didn't get the nut tightened all the way down or something.

Nope. About half way to the bus I had to pump it up again. Then when I got almost to the bus stop I had to get off and walk because it was so flat I couldn't steer at all.

So, my ride in was spent swapping out the tube and getting it all pumped back up. Good fun, that. Bus driver was cool about things. As were the other passengers.

Last night I saw a huge bull moose on the way home.

How was your commute today?-10575946233_32058726af_b.jpg

I'm sure the home owner wasn't pleased in his choice of forage.

Bedwards Of The West
    That looks like a sculpture

I put my studs on the spare wheels the other night... they're on standby in the garage... noticed this morning that one of them is flat

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I meant to give you props on that too. Nice job. I frigging love my FS bike.
    I have placed my order and will be (re)entering full suspension bliss in 2-3 weeks... new Santa Cruz Bantam is on the way.

mtbr member
    I put my studs on the spare wheels the other night... they're on standby in the garage... noticed this morning that one of them is flat
    Tubeless?

Back above freezing this morning, but now that I've surrendered myself to wearing a cozy jacket I won't be giving it up again until April.

I've been riding my 29er exclusively for the past month because my other bikes weren't easily accessible. But yesterday I finally got back on the hardtail, and today was the street cruiser. Commuting on those bikes again is pretty natural, but after a month on dirtdrops it felt really strange to ride offroad with a "normal" bar.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Yesterday was only my second commute to work. It's about a 7.5 mile ride in or so, and for the most part, a combination of a dedicated bike/running path to a road with a dedicated bike lane which turns to two other roads with bike lanes. Approximately 1.5 miles from work, the bike lane ends, so I end up cutting through a neighborhood that I am familiar with. Little to no traffic, so I am pretty happy.

I never wanted to be a "roadie" or commuter for that matter. I only used to ride trails on my mountain bike. Ended up selling that and getting a Specialized TriCross for the simple ease of being able to walk out of my apartment building and ride, instead of loading up the bike, the gear, the car, and then driving 45 minutes to an hour to ride.

The weather in Michigan has been very nice so far, with a temp yesterday of 51 when I went in to work. 8 and a half hours later, and it was 40 when I rode home. The ride home was cold. I didn't bring the appropriate gear for the ride. Clothing was fine. Socks were too thin, and the cold air just blew right through my Shimano shoes. Glove choice was also poor, with the Specialized Deflect gloves blocking the wind, but not keeping my hands warm. Still learning what works and what doesn't. 51 and sunny is a bit warm compared to 40 in the dark with a head breeze.

What I carry and how I carry is where I am having the issue. Hoping to get some help from the commuters here. I work at a hospital, and I wear hospital scrubs. I take them home and wash them since the service we use washes them with this horrible soap that makes me break out in a rash. So I have scrubs that I roll up to save room, undergarments, fresh socks, athletic shoes, deodorant, basic necessities, etc. I also need to carry my dinner somehow. I don't want pannier bags unless absolutely necessary. Currently using a backpack, but I get the dreaded sweaty back, even in this cooler weather. I don't want to switch to flat pedals, because I am used to riding clipped in, and honestly, I look at the SPD's on there as a bit of a theft deterrent. I also have to carry my Kryptonite U lock. Someone at work leaves their U lock just locked to the rack, which is a pretty genius idea.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. I hope to continue commuting to work as much as possible, as long as the weather permits. I won't ride in the rain unless I get caught in it, or the snow. Cold temps don't bother me too much. Not sure about the summer and the heat. Pretty sure showers will be available if needed.

Also was considering getting a cheap single speed for commuter use instead of locking my more expensive cross bike at work in a somewhat not that desirable neighborhood. Thoughts on the Aristotle from Republic Bikes?

Bedwards Of The West
    Not tubeless on the studs. They sit around so much I didn't want to have to worry about re-charging them...also, no real risk of goathead punctures when it's icy out

Moderator Moderator
    Welcome to commuting and the forum, TenSpeed!

Nice Jake the Snake, Straz. Two coworkers have them, but in boring blue and industrial gray.

blockphi, that is a massive moose, I am impressed.

Two Wheeled Terror

Good ride in this morning. Was chilly, right around freezing. Started unexpectedly drizzling when I was almost at work, still is, but it's supposed to stop soon.

Got everything for the new CX bike except the wheels, which should be here today. Here's pics of the frame. It will have SRAM Force shifters, derailleurs and crankset and Stan's Iron Cross wheels.
    Hey nice frame! Hope that yoy enjoy it. I've been looking at similar style frames but it is a long decision process for me. Its down to a couple of frames though. The Ruben by Traitor, Soma Crosscheck, or Cotic Roadrat. All seem like they could be fun bikes but I'm not sure which one I will end up with.

Commutes are getting colder here but at least going in the weather is nice. No complaints here and I haven't hit a coyote yet lol.

Beamed from my dumbphone

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It was "portlanding" on my ride in to day.

Portlanding definition: not really raining, misting, yet you don't get wet. In these conditions glasses are guaranteed no visibility.

Two Wheeled Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar3.14 View Post

Portlanding definition: not really raining, misting, yet you don't get wet. In these conditions glasses are guaranteed no visibility.
    Lol I have driven through that area on the interstate. This is the best definition I have seen.

Beamed from my dumbphone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar3.14 View Post

In Ontario, Canada, this is called "Guelphing" after Guelph. Being nestled between the Great Lakes makes this a too common thing in the Kitchener-Waterloo & Guelph area. Nice to know it shows up elsewhere. Rode for my BS and MS through a lot of that in that area.

weirdo
    Wow, it`s a bsuy morning here! Bedwards, thanks for the tip. since I`ve had the tires for over a year, I really didn`t consider filing a warranty claim, but I went ahead and did it after reading your suggestion. Even found the email confirmation for the purchase order last July! One way or another, I need a New Apple, so hopefully they`ll help me out with a rebate of some kind.

Big Winkle, Blockphi! If he were in my garden, he`d be welcome to all he could forrage- I won`t be the guy suggesting it`s time for him to leave now

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I never wanted to be a "roadie" or commuter for that matter. I only used to ride trails on my mountain bike. Ended up selling that and getting a Specialized TriCross for the simple ease of being able to walk out of my apartment building and ride, instead of loading up the bike, the gear, the car, and then driving 45 minutes to an hour to ride.
    Hahaha! Welcome to the "mtb-less mountain bikers" club. It sure is dark on this side, ain`t it? I started on this form as strictly a mountain biker, then that dark force pulled me slowly away and dropped me in nowhere land, nor a genuine roadie nor real a mountain biker. Thank God for mtbr Commuterland- the only home we really have!

Sounds like you`re heading the right direction for figuring out your methods. If you don`t want packpack or panniers, maybe a rack trunk would work for you. For a bit more space, you can even double-team that with a handlebar bag.

Welcome to Darkstar. Are you actually in a Portland (west?), or just have their weather?
    Recalculating....