Page 232 of 233 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233 LastLast
Results 23,101 to 23,200 of 23253
    CB of the East
    ^^Oh, I hate that beat the flat game. I usually try it for slow leaks and I almost always lose.

mtbr member
    ^^looks like a nice ride bedwards. I miss the transition from land onto the ice or is the lake unsafe by now?

Bad luck woodway. Good you made it to the office without much hassle and good that you have that nice warm dry bikeparking with bikestand in the garage! In my company it is already difficult to get a dry place for the bike outside...

Damp this morning but dry. Was up early today and started shortly after 6 this morning so enjoyed the quiet empty roads. Made the first short detour on the way home today, added only 1.5km/1m but a change of scenery is always nice.

Enjoy the weekend!

CB of the East
    Hey dutchman, Damp and dry. Hmmm. Opposites do attract.

The lake is still holding well but I just did a short real time video. I might get a few more crossings and then spring is inevitable. It is well above freezing in the afternoons. My wife brought her cross bike and I'll take the fatbike home in the car. Win-win.

Happy Weekend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Hey dutchman, Damp and dry. Hmmm. Opposites do attract.
    you are right. I meant that it was damp, foggy, grey, cloudy or similar but no drizzle or rain. Clear enough now I hope ?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    you are right. I meant that it was damp, foggy, grey, cloudy or similar but no drizzle or rain. Clear enough now I hope ?
    Clear to me Dutchman!

Last night on my ride home I had wind, rain, hail and sun all in under an hour! Welcome to springtime!

mtbr member
    Bright, sunny and dry and just above freezing here this morning. Beautiful day for it. Clocks went forward saturday night so commute is starting earlier, sort of. Already loving the lighter evenings though, yesterday was lovely. There was actually another bike in the rack this morning, first one since at least November. Pinched my spot though.....
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

CB of the East
    Yeah, I knew what you meant too. I was just giving you a hard time.

Dentist appointment this morning so no ride but I did bring the bike with me. The last below freezing temps in the forecast are for tomorrow morning so I'm pretty sure that will be my last winter trail commute. But I've said that before.

mtbr member
    Thanks woodway. No prob bedwards I get it

Slipspace how is the new bike doing?

No commute for me on the bike but on an A319to southern france to the other plant of the company. Coming back wednesday evening. Planning to ride thursday. Friday and monday are easter public holidays here, so only 1 ride if I make it thursday.

Will read your daily adventures here though. Evenings are boring since the hotel tv shows only french tv and my french is, well, "very basic".

mtbr member
    30 was a bit chilly this morning on the way to work but 50 on the way home called for a little detour to add a couple miles

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Luxuriously smooth ride without the studded tires today. Still some ice patches due to the snowbanks melting, but they did not cause any problems for the cross bike. 14F this a.m,. and over 40F by the time I left. The extra light is awesome too - I forgot the battery for my helmet light (Monday!) but it did not matter.

mtbr member
    Hey Dutchman, new bike is lovely thanks, I should have done it ages ago. It is so much stiffer than the old steel Raleigh. I knew that was flexy but just not how much! Lower gear is good, i'm certainly not any slower but my legs don't ache so much as they did. Maybe some cockpit adjustments to make, maybe a shorter stem, but we'll see. I still need to final trim the guard stays though. Enjoy France, even as a business trip, but I bet your French is far from basic.

Seems every one is getting some big temp swings morning to evening, yesterday here just above freezing for the ride in and about 11C for going home.

maybe 4C and wet this morning. I decided to go with shorts which worked out ok. Roads are covered in mud from the tractors. Last night the mud was in lumps, mostly flattened by the cars but kind of like reverse potholes in places. The rain has left some of that behind but just smeared the rest across the roads. Messy!

CB of the East
    Maybe the last winter trail ride? I got up early and shared it with rollingrunner.

The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Great pics as usual bedwards.

Nice bike kyle_vk!

That's a big swing in temps, MTBX. This time of year it's not unusual around here to see morning temps around 35F/1.6c in the morning and 65F/18C in the afternoon. You almost have to bring two sets of clothes!

43F and raining when I left this morning. Had a nice tailwind. Easy commute.

mtbr member
    Bus driver told me to get on the cycle path last night. I had two problems with that,
    1) I had right of way on the road and was clearly visible (lights on and the jacket at the bottom of the post. I was just waiting for him to say he didn't see me.
    2) THERE IS NO CYCLE LANE THERE!! Doofus!

Gloomy again this morning, 4C / 40F. Not raining but did overnight so was wet, I got lucky though, it's chucking it down out there now.

This is my last commute ride for a few days, Dr appointment tomorrow and same as Dutchman, Friday and Monday are public holidays for Easter

Altura Nightvision Evo 3 - Picture doesn't do justice to how bright this is
    How was your commute today?-altura-night-vision-evo-3-waterproof-jacket-yellow-ev309009-1000-1.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Agreed, a doofus! Nice jacket, it even looks like it has convenient pockets, which can be ridiculously hard to find on bike stuff. It's like they think we never want to have keys or a wallet handy.

mtbr member
    Thanks, jacket is good, two hand/side pockets and a chest pocket, all waterproof. None on the rear although there is a built in blinky. Full mesh inner so it keeps the inevitable (for me anyways) sweaty materials sticking to me. 15,000 whatevers for waterproofness and breathability.

Spherical Earther
    Great ride albeit a little on the cool/damp side. Interesting conversation with a college student that just started riding. First words out of his mouth? "Please tell me your butt stops hurting after a while." All I can say is that opening line works better on the trail than in a bar or prison. Got to work and realized I have neither a belt nor a tie clip in my clothes bag. Hmmm. At least I remembered pants and a shirt.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Like the jacket slip.

Agree on pockets MtBX. I have a couple jackets and seem to always wear the one with the pocket in front. Its just so handy.

41F and rain on the way into work this morning. Pretty uneventful.

mtbr member
    Ride to work today was warmer than usual, +3 feels like -2 Celsius...into a 20 km/h headwind though.

Arrived to find that my building security had cut my bike lock off the bike rack.

Not pleased. Bike is sitting by my desk as a result.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Not too shabby this morning. Was a bit of a last minute decision to ride and I'm glad I did. I didn't really even need to come to the office, but could tell my wife was getting a bit sick of me being around the house all day lately. So rode to my valley client's office. 30F and snowing when I left the house. A touch of breeze in Palmer at the end of my ride, not too bad, but possibly picking up throughout the day.

A couple of good rides in the last week.

Saturday went out to Knik glacier with some coworkers. Yesterday after work got in a 10 milerer out at Moose Range. Good times.

How was your commute today?-ice.jpg

How was your commute today?-image2.jpg

How was your commute today?-20180327_153755.jpg

CB of the East
    ^^That ice formation looks like somebody parked their Gidget camper and it froze there.

Pockets are cool.

It was just barely above freezing this morning so I squeezed in another trail ride. I was not alone.
    Attachment 1189993

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    It's warm here, can't complain. After feeling slow Monday morning, I have been feeling faster and faster. The best part of my commute is when I feel like a low flying airplane or snowboarder. The worst part is waiting around at stop signs for drivers who got there first to actually trust me and take their right of way. I usually have to dismount and not practice track stands etc to convince them. That is a pretty good problem to have I suppose.

Wore shorts for the first time in months. Yesterday was the first day I wore my jersey and arm warmers instead of windstopper vest over med. weight wool base with arm warmers and long fingered gloves. The rain has ceased for a bit and back to Norcal sunny drought.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Maybe the last winter trail ride? I got up early and shared it with rollingrunner.

The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration
    gorgeous pics. I was just watching this yesterday, wondering about fat biking in the snow, I never dreamed of a commute, I suppose it is business as usual in your neck of the woods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_NTU8gS6IY

CB of the East
    Hey Skeggs, My front wheel stays on the ground a lot more than the guy in that video and there was barely enough snow there to call that snow biking. I did post a video of part of my commute last week. How was your commute today?

Today really really might have been my last day to cross the lake.

How was your commute today?-20180329_062227.jpg

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Open water, man I would be worried about falling through crossing a lake.

Blockphi, loved your pics, especially the 2nd one. Thanks for the share.

43F and dry this morning. Easy commute.

mtbr member
    Came home from my trip yesterday and rode today, despite 6cm of fresh snow this morning. It was thawing already when I left so that made for a slow and slippery ride. Made a short detour on the way home so rode 28km in total instead of the usual 23. It was nice this afternoon. 6C and the sun really starts to get warm. Off friday and monday due to eastern bank holidays here.

Blockphi, that 2nd pic is really calendar worthy.

Nice jacket slipspace. I have the altura night vision evo 2 jacket in red and I like that one too. It was not very well impragnated when I bought it. After I treated it with DWR myself it really got to like it. Vents are working well, nice comfort fit and enough pockets. The zips on the pockets are small though, I have size 10 gloves and barely can get my hand in the pockets. The grey area on your jacket are reflective areas right?
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Good ride this AM - 30 and calm. Actually broke out my summer shoes rather than the Lake MXZ's I wear in the winter - Giro Republic LX with retro reflectivity - which is really rather pointless in Alaska when I can wear these shoes ... It ain't never dark then...

Almost time to get the road bike out. If I can find some cheap 30mm studded tires I may give them a try as it is still quite icy in the mornings.

Moderator Moderator
    Got a real close pass by a garbage truck yesterday on the narrow hill on the last mile to work. Made mental note of the plate and emailed the company about it, suggesting they review the footage if it has a camera. But first I checked if the truck was on our permitted transporter list - nope! They came in today with the paperwork and cash for a permit. I am still waiting to hear what the driver had to say about the unsafe pass. Apparently my spidey sense kept their compliance guy up all night. People at work joked that they must be gunning for me and probably all the trash haulers have a photo of me on my bike on the dashboard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Got a real close pass by a garbage truck yesterday on the narrow hill on the last mile to work. Made mental note of the plate and emailed the company about it, suggesting they review the footage if it has a camera. But first I checked if the truck was on our permitted transporter list - nope! They came in today with the paperwork and cash for a permit. I am still waiting to hear what the driver had to say about the unsafe pass. Apparently my spidey sense kept their compliance guy up all night. People at work joked that they must be gunning for me and probably all the trash haulers have a photo of me on my bike on the dashboard.
    That sucks. At least you're safe. I notice that the "professional" drivers are often the least able to drive around cyclists. In the last month of commuting I've almost been hit twice at intersections where I have the right of way and both times it has been by school busses.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Too bad about the close pass MTBX. But you got your revenge!

43F and dry this morning. Another uneventful commute.

CB of the East
    Woodway, this one's for you. I was going to take the same picture today for comparison but I couldn't lean the bike against the tree because it was a little wet under it.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ^^ Open water, man I would be worried about falling through crossing a lake.
    Today really really might have been my last day to cross the lake.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180329_062227.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	1190107
    Not Really
    How was your commute today?-20180402_063858.jpg

Spherical Earther
    Thankfully, I caught the thorn in my tire last night and didn't have to play "beat the flat", I did manage to nearly run myself over though. I'm riding the "it rained and snowed yesterday so the roads are crap" route which involves a 5 mile drive on both sides of a 9 mile commute. Loading my bike and backing out I realize that the windshield still needs scraping so I get out of my truck and open the back door when it occurs to me that the car is still in reverse. A few seconds of mad ninja skills later and everything is okay, but I backed about twenty feet before I got stopped. Otherwise the ride was "crisp" at 21F but not terribly fast. Old guy with a bad back syndrome. Did chuckle at the "nightrider" Trans Am with Kit lights under the hood.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Second day of April here in SE PA and riding through snow, slush and frozen rain. Tires were fine though. WTB Cruz 700x37.

How was your commute today?-img_20180402_081703969.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. At my house the wind was blowing 10 with gusts to 20 - no big deal. However, in Palmer, where my ride would end - steady 20 gusting to 40. No fun. Couple that with being sore from a 20 mile road ride (first of the year) Saturday and 24 miles to the glacier and back yesterday and I felt I had enough whine to justify not riding to work today.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Woodway, this one's for you. I was going to take the same picture today for comparison but I couldn't lean the bike against the tree because it was a little wet under it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180402_063858.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	1190735
    Two thumbs up bedwards. You are THE man!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Forster, good reactions and good stop!

mtbr member
    That looks way sketchy to me Bedwards but you know what you're doing (fingers crossed!)

I'll give you that one Blockphi

haha, good catch Forster, good recovery.

4 days off here with weekend and public holidays. As is usual with public holidays, it rained, a lot! About 10C and reasonably bright this morning, lots of water about unsurprisingly, but not a bad ride. New bike is filthy but I did clean and lube the chain yesterday

Moderator Moderator
    Let's hope bedwards isn't swimming to work today.

CB of the East
    Thanks for the concern and no worries. I made it across one more time and I'm on vacation after today so the temptation will be gone. The shores are opening up a lot. The trails are still fun riding with a combination of snow, ice, running water, pooled water, mud, frozen ground and free-range snow riding.
    How was your commute today?-20180403_062824s.jpg
    I took one more picture to complete the set this morning.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    4 days off here with weekend and public holidays. As is usual with public holidays, it rained, a lot!
    Haha, a joke here in the Seattle area: Two tourists stop a boy and ask: It's rained the entire time we have been here, is it always like this?, the boy responds: How should I know, i'm only six.

bedwards, I was hoping for photos of your new paddle-bike so you could cross the lake year round. That last pic sure is pretty!

41F, partly cloudy and dry today. Uneventful ride.

CB of the East
    ^^There is one spot between the bays of the lake where I might be able to wade across with my bike over my head. The only reason I haven't considered it more is because it is a private camp on one side. Of course it is the fastest moving water on the lake so it never freezes in the winter for me to explore the possibilities.

I pulled the last 3 pics together for comparison.
    The Candid Cyclist: To Cross The Lake Or To Not Cross The Lake

See y'all in about a week.

mtbr member
    Forster good that you managed to stay away from under your car!

Nice pics bedwards! Still glad that you are not on the ice anymore. I trust you know what you are doing but it didnt look very safe to me....are you wearing that flotation vest that you found last year? Or do you rather rely on the flotation of the fatbike tires as you said back then?

Woodway, in hamburg we always we have the best weather of all ->> to be in the office.

So we had the first day of spring here. It rained here all night but it was dry this morning with 8C already. Incredible warm, 16C!! on the way home. Round trip average was pretty good too, did ride some during the 4 days off. Those short trips around the neighbourhood with the kids added up to about 2 round trip commutes.

Spherical Earther
    Forster good that you managed to stay away from under your car!
    Hard to believe I can still move that fast wearing Lake 145 winter boots, but adrenaline is your buddy sometimes.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Agreed, that was impressive Forster! Beautiful pic bedwards, enjoy vacation! A local lake here in VT, Joe's Pond, has a big ice-out contest, you can win a few thousand dollars on a $1 ticket if you have the closest guess to when a cinder block will fall through the ice and trigger the clock. I believe the winning ticket is usually around the 3rd week of April, but I picked an early date this year, and the rain tomorrow may help my chances. I took Friday and Monday off, and did not get up in time to ride today; plus the dog took off on our woods walk, and catching up with him 1/2 mile away took time. I think that tracker collar tells him when I am getting closer.

mtbr member
    haha I like that Woodway.

That's warm Dutchman! Not quite got that here but it's working on it, wind is still mostly making it feel colder though.

Interesting sweepstakes there MTBX. Good luck with your guesstimate!

No idea on temp this morning but it was sunny so all is good.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I pulled the last 3 pics together for comparison.
    The Candid Cyclist: To Cross The Lake Or To Not Cross The Lake
    Nice video. It seems to me that it would suck if you got onto the lake, rode across only to find too much open water on the other side where you want to get off...

38F and rain here this morning. Supposed to rain the rest of the week. Springtime I suppose...

mtbr member
    Slowly I am getting convinced that it doesn't rain here so often as I sometimes think. At least, when I see how often Woodway is riding in the rain....and I think I actually seldomly have the hardshell stuff on. Mostly the Windstopper clothing is sufficient for some drizzle/dense fog. We do have a lot of days on which showers pass through, but mostly those are easy to avoid these days thanks to the weather radars and 5-6 showers a day make for a slim chance to get into one anyway. So thanks Woodway for making my commuter better than I thought

Nice rides again today. Wet roads but no rain anymore this morning, and dry on the way home. Again 16C today on the way home. Next weekend is apparently even warmer and sunny, hope to go biketouring or paddling.

Moderator Moderator
    A chilly 32F rain this morning, followed by a windy, graupel-filled (aka "styrofoam snow") return trip. 16 mph cross to rear quarter winds not too bad, but the 40 mph gusts! Got to my car at the park-n-pedal just in time, at the convenience store they were chasing down big metal signs and those heavy duty trash cans by the pumps. Power is still on at home, yay!

Enjoyed the video, bedwards.

mtbr member
    ^^ freezing rain, great, Yay for power!

Was colder than I thought this morning. Shorts was the wrong choice. Not sure on temp since my computer died, but I guess 3 or 4C. Was raining on and off with cold head to 3/4 wind.

It was at my back last night though. I passed a bunch of semi serious riders last, they were just bimbling along. They looked somewhat bemused as I yelled a hello and went past doing probably 100+ rpm cadence they did at least return the greeting.

Spherical Earther
    Brisk but uneventful. Always a good ride when nothing crazy happens.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    So thanks Woodway for making my commuter better than I thought
    I'm always happy to help a fellow commuter!

FWIW, our year here in Seattle is broken into three parts:

Rains a LOT: Nov, Dec, Jan
    Hardly EVER rains: Jul, Aug, Sep
    In between: All the other months

I think I read Seattle gets 150 days a year with measurable precipitation. But the days are heavily weighted to the winter/early spring months. Last year we went 55 straight days from mid-July to mid-September without any measurable precipitation at all.

It's been a somewhat rainy spring but as we get into May and June the rain really starts ramping down.

A chilly 32F rain this morning, followed by a windy, graupel-filled (aka "styrofoam snow") return trip. 16 mph cross to rear quarter winds not too bad, but the 40 mph gusts! Got to my car at the park-n-pedal just in time, at the convenience store they were chasing down big metal signs and those heavy duty trash cans by the pumps. Power is still on at home, yay!
    Ahh, a memorable riding day! Glad you made it home OK.

Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Shorts was the wrong choice. Not sure on temp since my computer died, but I guess 3 or 4C. Was raining on and off with cold head to 3/4 wind.
    Shorts seems like wishful thinking slip

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Brisk but uneventful. Always a good ride when nothing crazy happens.
    ^^ Agree 100%

43F and cloudy this morning. Roads were wet but no rain. Uneventful ride...

mtbr member
    The weather has been highly variable. It rained most of last week. This week is dryer and cooler overall, but temps randomly reached 76F the other day. Then we were hit by torrential rain, sleet, and high winds. The ride in was 29F. The ride home should be in the mid 50s. We're expecting snow Friday night.

mtbr member
    Woodway that sounds predictable at least. I extra checked the climate diagrams and it seems that here it rains most in summer, june until end of september. The rest of the year is not much less....

I made a mistake today, I forgot to pack windstopper or hardshell pants. About halfway in this morning it started to rain but it my pants dried quickly at work. On the way home I got caught in a heavy downpour that soaked my pants. Fortunately my jacket held off most of the rain. Lesson learned: always be prepared!

Moderator Moderator
    This morning I got an apology from the drivers' supervisor from the garbage truck incident last week. They also discussed the incident with the driver and how it could be prevented. As an avid motorcyclist, they said the driver felt terrible to make me feel unsafe. Also, the safety meetings at all locations for April will focus on bicycle and pedestrian safety. I think it was a pretty good result.

mtbr member
    My friend was killed by a garbage truck in Davis, Ca. Truck made a right turn and didn't see him....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Oh geez, how terrible. So sorry for your friend and for your loss.

mtbr member
    No commutes for me at all this week. Laziness coupled with juggling four clients sometimes makes it difficult. I did get a chance to get out this afternoon for a road ride. I'm constantly amazed by how much fun it is riding that janky-arse $75 Craigslist special. There are certainly times when riding fast on the road is a good time. I don't think I could average 17.8 MPH for 20 miles on my fatty without killing myself!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    MTBX, what an unexpected conclusion to your story. I mean how often do you actually hear about a cyclist being apologized to for crappy driver behavior? Well done.

Dutchman, my pannier always seems to be crammed full of extra stuff. I ask myself why I bother carrying it around until I end up in a situation like you did and then I am happy I have it.

It was warm this morning, 51F/10.5C. Wet roads but no rain. I wore shorts. Supposed to be 65F/18C for the ride home - shirtsleeves!

Have a good weekend everyone.

mtbr member
    Mtbxplorer shows it is worthwhile to complain when that is possible, and ladijon's friend's death shows that it should be done whenever feasible. The life we save may be our own!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^True, Brian, I am really optimistic that the driver will change how he passes cyclists.

Cold rides the last couple mornings, 11 and 14F. I left the bike in the car 1 night after the rainy morning ride, and the next morning it did not want to reliably downshift. Since this was cured by the evening ride, I think the cable froze up and the derailleur spring could not overcome it. This is on the Orbea Terra that has enclosed and internally routed cables. My mechanic says that even condensation can cause it. I may consider an upgrade from the 105 derailleur to one with a MTB type spring, as I have avoided this issue on my MTB commuter, but he is checking the whole settup first. It also got super tensioned on the backpedal, to the point where, at a stoplight when i would reposition the pedal for the green light, it would kind of grind the gears. A few inches of snow last night but I accepted a ride to my car after hanging with a friend.

Spherical Earther
    I get that after wet rides too, usually it's little bits of gunk on cable between the cable and the housing. Unless my bike has one-piece housing, I usually shift the rear der into low, pull the cable while clicking the shift lever to high (without the wheels spinning) to slack the cable. Then I pull the housing from the ferrule and spray the cable while working it back and forth (to purge the crud). When I reassemble I rotate the housing 90 degrees so I'm using a new section of the inner liner (should have slightly less wear/more Teflon left in place.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Thanks Forster!

Spherical Earther
    Things that make you go Hmmm. Riding in today I noticed the downtube bottle holder was loose. Switched bottle holders and continued riding. At work, sure enough, the screws are loose but the braze ons are still solidly in the frame. Puzzler is, they were loctited less than four months ago. Is that an issue with titanium and blue loctite or is someone screwing (literally) with my bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Things that make you go Hmmm. Riding in today I noticed the downtube bottle holder was loose. Switched bottle holders and continued riding. At work, sure enough, the screws are loose but the braze ons are still solidly in the frame. Puzzler is, they were loctited less than four months ago. Is that an issue with titanium and blue loctite or is someone screwing (literally) with my bike?
    My eyeglass frame screws have about a 2-4 month hold with Loctite. One is staying longer this time. I blame it on temperature shifts.

mtbr member
    forster, maybe ask in the lyskeyforum if anyone knows the issue?

Nice ride today. Summer now arrived and I was out paddling over the weekend. 11C this morning and 22C on the way home with sun all day. 11 days ago I was plowing through the snow on my way to work, now I am riding in shorts, t-shirt and sandals. Both are fun

mtbr member
    Ahhh... a good commute for me this AM. Legs were a bit stiff after a 30 mile road ride on Saturday and a 10 mile slog in the rapidly melting snow yesterday that started out as a nice easy ride to stretch out the legs and ended up being more work than the prior day's ride.

On the road bike but need to make some adjustments - heel strike on the panniers and as I was leaving this morning I picked the bike up by the saddle with the panniers on and the seat moved so I keep sliding off of it.

But beyond that it was a great ride. 40. A light breeze. A little overcast, but I think it's supposed to get sunny and bright by this afternoon. Good times.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    48F and dry this morning. Started to sprinkle as I got to the office. Should be a wet one going home tonight.

I stripped and cleaned/lubed the bike over the weekend. Adjusted the front derailleur which was rubbing in certain gears and replaced the back fender which has been broken for a while and the rattling finally got to me. Riding this morning I had not realized just how loud that rattling had become...everything was so quiet and smooth!

mtbr member
    No commute for me today - five meetings at three different locations today. Good times. Had to post a quick note, though - and it probably belongs on the found any treasure on your ride thread - but...

On the way home last night I made a turn and started getting chased by this tiny little dog - the type that thinks it's much bigger than it really is. No big deal, I easily outpaced it. But as I was looking back to see where it had gotten off to I spied something along the side of the road and bust out laughing. A big black d*ldo. I'm not sure if it was so funny to me because it was bigger than the dog chasing me, the absurdity of being chased by a dog and seeing that on the side of the road, or the fact that it was just so unexpected - how and why does something like that end up on the side of the road?

Sorry, no pictures. I didn't stop to pick it up (ew...) though I should probably go back in my hazmat suit and get it and all the other assorted trash off the side of the road.

But I probably won't.

Have a good day everyone. Be on the lookout for strays

mtbr member
    Hahaha blockphi imagine you come home with that "look honey I found this on the side of the road" who would believe that?

Woodway I dont like it too when my bike makes noise. I can accept it for a few days but only when I know what it is and that it is no harm or anything.

Sunny today but chilly. 20C were forecasted but we got only14C with a 20kt wind. At least it was a tailwind on the second half so it was a quick ride home.

mtbr member
    Good find Blockphi. Could have gone differently, I can hear the tale in A&E now, '...yeah, I was being chased by this vicious dog and then this big phallus came out of nowhere and jammed the front wheel throwing me over the bars..'

No rides for me this week. Mon, Tues off and I have a client meeting for all day thursday with half a day travel either side.

mtbr member
    I had a guy test his luck passing me with an SUV coming the other way. The oncoming car swerved off the road onto the shoulder. Lucky for everyone, there was a shoulder. The road up until that point is narrow and is lined with honeysuckle bushes that push right up to the road. If we'd been a little further down, things could have gotten even more interesting.

As luck would have it, I caught back up to the car that had passed me, but I didn't feel the need to remind him what a dumb move he'd pulled.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    42F and light rain this morning. Pretty nominal commute. No swerving cars, little dogs or dildos. Just boring.

mtbr member
    Early today and chilly again. 7C and windy both rides. Made a short detour nevertheless, wont let the wind stop me

mtbr member
    A good ride today overall. Caught a flat about halfway to work, but beyond that it was uneventful. 41F and a light breeze.

mtbr member
    How was your commute today?-30073131_10155604860692956_5182680643101068923_o.jpgHow was your commute today?-30167272_10155604860702956_5661018345833556267_o.jpg

Nice ride in this morning- The bluebells are starting to pop, and I'll need to stop at the tire swing when the weather gets warmer

mtbr member
    42F and light rain this morning. Pretty nominal commute. No swerving cars, little dogs or dildos. Just boring.
    Sometimes boring is a good thing, though.

mtbr member
    LtDan: Our bluebells have just leaved out. A couple of weeks to flowers, I suspect.

Spherical Earther
    It's apparently officially Bicycling spring as I noticed a large number of Bicyclist out this morning on my commute. Of course Cyclist spring happened once about 30 years ago and the Cyclist haven't put their bikes in the garage for months at a time since then.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Seeing more and more bicycles around here everyday too Forster.

Had a close call last night. Took an alternate route home that involved a long, steep hill (15% grade at the bottom). It was raining and the asphalt was slick. As I closed in on the traffic signal at the bottom of the hill I could tell that I did not have enough traction to get stopped before entering the intersection. Every time I applied sufficient braking force to stop my wheels would start to lock up on the wet asphalt. The cross street is super busy and if I went into the intersection I was going to get hit for sure.

Figuring crashing into the ground was better than being crashed into by a car, I was preparing to bail over the curb when thank goodness, the signal changed to green and I was able to coast through the intersection. Whew.

Don't think I'll go that way again when it's wet.

38F/3C and very light rain this morning. Thankfully it was a boring commute.

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. Meetings all over the valley. And the same for tomorrow, but in Anchorage. I do plan to take a nice long ride after work tonight, though. It is wonderful spring weather right now and it would be a shame to waste a moment.

mtbr member
    5C but again a cold wind this morning. At least it warmed up during the day and the sun came out before I left so it was nice on the way home.

No flowers here yet and probably it will take some time since it seems to be dry the coming week. When it rains again everything will probably unfold in no-time. Looking forward to it.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    40F/4.5C this morning, raining (again). Plenty of flowers here. Plus tree pollen.

Happy Friday everyone!

mtbr member
    How things can change over night....

Yesterday, the forecast said rain this afternoon. This morning it appeared to have rained already and rain would start in the evening. So it "suddenly" rained during lunchtime, and it is supposed to start raining again in an hour. We'll see. Nobody needs a forecast that totally changes within a 4-5 hr timeframe.

Nice ride this morning, 8C and calm wind. The way home was typical for spring, in the sun and with a tailwind it was really nice, made a detour and the last part was against the wind which suddenly was quite fresh.

At least, I finally made a full week of commuting again.

Happy weekend everyone!

CB of the East
    I'm back! No ride for me today. Only 5 hours of sleep and I couldn't get a grip on the weather.

Catching up here was more fun than catching up on my work emails. Good stories.

Nice BBC story blockphi. If you could get a picture of the dog sitting next to the black object that would be great!
    Had a close call last night. Took an alternate route home that involved a long, steep hill (15% grade at the bottom). It was raining and the asphalt was slick. As I closed in on the traffic signal at the bottom of the hill I could tell that I did not have enough traction to get stopped before entering the intersection. Every time I applied sufficient braking force to stop my wheels would start to lock up on the wet asphalt. The cross street is super busy and if I went into the intersection I was going to get hit for sure.

Figuring crashing into the ground was better than being crashed into by a car, I was preparing to bail over the curb when thank goodness, the signal changed to green and I was able to coast through the intersection. Whew.

Don't think I'll go that way again when it's wet.
    I hate those moments when you realize that you have just crossed from in control to out of control.

I did get a day of mountain biking in the Dominican Republic. I'll try to pull a blog together with some pics over the weekend but here is a teaser.
    How was your commute today?-20180409_104251s.jpg
    TGIF. This working stuff isn't as fun as being at the beach with a mojito at this time.

mtbr member
    It was the first really nice spring day this year. I imagined all the fair weather commuters would be out. Saw some bikes locked up at the train station so people are starting to come out of their steel shells.

I was riding my usual route when I heard some noises behind me that could be bike noises. Turned around and it was a fellow commuter. Normally I don't see any bicycle commuters so I gave a nod and kept pedaling. At the slight uphill, I heard him getting closer and at the next light he went on the sidewalk and passed me. He barely seemed to be working hard at all so when I caught up to him I noticed he was on an ebike. Huge battery on the downtube. So I cat6'd him. Sorry, I just had to. The good side is that I got to work a lot quicker than I usually do.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    ^^ That's an awesome story!
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Haha. Before pedal assist ebikes got popular I'd sometimes get passed by people not even pedaling...shouldn't have bothered me, but it did!

Haven't posted here in a while...for the last year my commute has been 2 blocks downhill on a small town road. I only have to pedal if there's a strong headwind. It's nice, but I do miss my old city commute sometimes. It was nice to ride with other commuters for a bit, and feel like I'd accomplished something just by getting to work.

My "commute" to the grocery store has gotten longer though. Tough headwind on the way in today. Broke 35mph on flat on the way back, hauling a weeks worth of groceries and 20lbs of cat litter.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    Broke 35mph on flat on the way back, hauling a weeks worth of groceries and 20lbs of cat litter.
    That is some serious wind! Did you have a sail up? Where?

The weather here is friggin' awful. I had to take the winter bike because we've had freezing rain and the road shoulders are coated in ice. The almanac for this day says the average high temp for the day is 54F and the range is 41F-86F...It started at 28F and now is 32 mid-day!!! The forecast high is 3 degrees cooler than the record low.

It is a HUGE contrast to my riding last week. As promised here are some pictures of the ride. The Candid Cyclist: Mountain Biking in Cabarete with Maximo

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hey all! It's been a long time since I last posted. I've been commuting, just haven't had much time to tell about it.

This winter was cold but not nearly as much snow and ice as usual. Can't say that I'm super disappointed because every year it seems harder to turn those big, heavy, slow rolling Nokians!

I've set a goal for this year of 5000 miles. Sadly, I've had lots of travel so far this year that has made it hard to stick to my routine. Summer is fast approaching so I may be able to make up some of my missing miles. Still, I've managed to log 1266 miles to date.

Still riding my 1997 vintage Cyclocross bike most days and the Motobecane fitted with Nokians on snowy/icy days.

With the days getting longer I should be able to log a few extra miles on my way home.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Very cool bedwards. Nice writeup, pics and adventure!

mtbr member
    good to see some new faces around here

Nice trip Bedwards, and that bed was huge!! double double.

First ride in a week and a bit with holiday and work travel stopping me. "Spring has sprung, the grass has ris, I wonder where them birdies is" as someone said. Nice ride this am, sunny with a slight chill to the headwind but pretty damn good all in.

Moderator Moderator
    I planned to ride yesterday from my usual park-n-pedal lot, but it took 20 minutes to break through the ice on my car, even though I had warmed it up and blasted the defrost. Then an extra 15 minutes to creep the 4 miles downhill to town while holding my breath on the curves. By then it was too late, I only got to work 10 minutes early, driving. Used that to change out of bike clothes into work clothes. There were terrible winds in some parts of VT/NH; 3 tractor trailers blew over on the interstate, 1 onto a state police cruiser (no injuries). A few spring days would be nice.

mtbr member
    Nice ride yesterday on the way in. Weather forecast was wrong again, several showers passed through in the afternoon and I decided to leave in the rain, to come home in the dry. That worked but my pants was still wet. Jacket held off the most so I didnt get cold.

So I packed my rainpants for the rest of the week although summerweather is forecasted.....it was sunny, 5C and light fog this morning, was nice and refreshing. The rest of the week is supposed to be over 20C on the way home. Time to break out the sandals :d

mtbr member
    Whoa mtbx hope spring comes to you soon!

Bedwards that looks like an awesome trip and nice report. From outside, that cave certainly didnt look like you can swim in it!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I remember seeing a sign that said something like: "Winter is like an angry person who won't give up an argument and keeps storming back in to say 'and another thing...'". At least that's what it feels like this afternoon. Although not nearly as bad as MTBX (and probably bedwards when he checks in) have it. Around here we have the 4th wettest April on record and we are only half way through the month. It's been cold and wet and I am sick of it.

Ride this morning, 41F/5C and light rain. The insert on my left crankarm is coming loose so I'll have to run down a replacement crankarm (hope you can just buy one and not be forced to buy the whole thing).

Good to see z1r back and a couple new folks in the forum!

CB of the East
    ...it took 20 minutes to break through the ice on my car, even though I had warmed it up and blasted the defrost.
    My wife reported that our car was exactly the same yesterday. The roads weren't as bad but that's why I took the studded bike. Well, they weren't bad until later.

Good luck finding a crank arm woodway. Square taper? I might have a few kicking around, LOL.

The temps warmed up overnight to above freezing so I just took the rain bike, not the snow bike. The lake still has ice but it isn't fit to ride and the shores have all opened up. I expect it will go out by the end of this weekend. Spring is coming, High of 62F a week from today!!!

Bedwards Of The West
    Hi kids! Checking in from NorCal... it's January 105th today! 4 inches of snow yesterday, bone dry roads this morning for the commute in, 28 degrees. It's supposed to be 70 by the weekend... no frozen lake crossings (that's pretty awesome Bedwards) but I have been playing with the camera... not sure if any of you are in the facebook group "Look at My Bike Leaning Against Stuff" but you should be . Here's my latest creation. I also put 27.5" wheels and 3.0 "plus" tires on the Ogre. Oh man it's a monster now.

How was your commute today?-30572260_10214129885232675_110892022608429056_n.jpg
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 1 Week Ago at 01:52 PM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. Town and meetings and have to stop and get my daughter's wheels from my other daughter - had her studded tires on the other set of wheels so that she could swap them herself.

I am a bit sad today, though. zR1 got me thinking about my annual mileage. Last year I ended up, even with my knee surgery, at 2966.17 miles - 0 miles in September and 1.39 in October.

So far this year I have 772.36. Last year at this time I had 785 (well... by the end of the month)... So I guess I might actually be ahead of the curve this year. However, in 2016 I booked 1300.62 miles by the end of April. I don't think I'll hit that this year. Not enough commutes in my future to do that and I doubt I'll work up to much more than maybe one 40-miler by the end of the month with a sprinkling of 20's and 30's.

As long as I can end the year with slightly more than last year and no injuries I'll be happy. I think I might be getting to an age where a 5K year doesn't appeal to me as much as it once did. And I highly doubt I'll ever hit 10K in a year again.

mtbr member
    Hey CB nice to hear from you. Nice pic how long did the complete picture take?

Went spontaneously to a bar after work with some collegues. Had a beer and a burger then rode home. About 18C now between 7-8 pm and quiet roads. Good times!

Bedwards Of The West
    Thanks dutchman, I miss you guys. haha. blockphi, my mileage is downright embarrassing, don't feel bad. I'm getting like 25-30 miles a week, after several years of 80-90 a week. Life is good though.

The photo process was about an hour and a half. It's a bunch of exposures stacked though, not one long exposure. You can't get the foreground right on a super long exposure without serious risk of destroying the whole thing. Stacked exposures is way safer.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Members who have read this thread: 155