Page 231 of 237 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235 ... LastLast
Results 23,001 to 23,100 of 23688
    mtbr member
    Some pics of the way in this morning:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sE8vglaEEUO6U51J2

CU CD

CB of the East
    Snow Ride take it easy! (In the tune of Foghat)

Moderator Moderator
    Ended up commuting on the fatbike yesterday despite the temps in the 30's and pretty clear roads. The front wheel on the cross bike wasn't turning. I thought it was the dsic brake but it turned out the hub failed! I was going to blame riding in the rain etc., but the shop says a shim is missing and that probably caused it, so I will get a warranty replacement.

I am trying to lose a few pounds, so I rode the whole way home instead of doing the park-n-pedal. That last 3.5 miles up 1000' is definitely tougher. Had a nice ride Sunday on the back roads in the snow. It changed over to sleety stuff, so only about an inch was left.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    That is quite a snow commute Dutchman. I have a feeling winters not done with you yet bedwards...

I'm enjoying my week of vacation. I've gotten out for a couple of XC ski workouts around my house. Heading down to central Oregon to meet up with friends tomorrow. Safe commuting everyone!

How was your commute today?-img_20180226_091217752_hdr.jpg

CB of the East
    I don't know, it has been pretty warm. Enjoy your vacation.

I took the trails in this morning and most of them were a 1st gear slog through crunchy snow. I did find a small section that was packed but I had this guy blocking the WHOLE road. Things commuters have to deal with, sheesh.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 02-27-2018 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    We've been pretty warm here. Today was the coldest in a while, and it was only like 33F. We had a ton of rain last week and there's substantial flooding. Nothing to speak of where I live, but I'm happy for the sunshine so far this week. More rain in the forecast...

mtbr member
    Hm the road in your movie looks even worse than mine bedwards.

So the roads were partly clean and partly crap today. On the way home I lowered the airpressure a bit and it turned out to be a very good thing, grip and braking performance got better.

Tomorrow the coldest temps so far are forecasted: -13C/9F. I dont know if I can ride, will probably have to bring the kids to school and my wife to the dentist directly after. Depending on how bad it is, I might have to stay home tomorrow. Would be a shame though, I have everything ready to go.

I have a question to you guys riding in similar temps: Do you wear ski goggles or more normal glasses? I was tempted to buy some simple goggles with an uncolored lens. In the end I didnt and I am still wearing the Swisseye F16 with the yellow lenses:
    https://www.swisseye.com/en/sports-g...s/product/f-16
    The thing with the swisseye is that they dont keep off the wind enough in freezing temps. Also they fog up when I stop somewhere and when they fog up, they stay like that. So once they fogged up, I might as well take m off and stow them in my pocket...

Would that be better with cheap ski goggles?

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Hm the road in your movie looks even worse than mine bedwards.
    No, that was the best part of the trail. I was glad to have it packed after slogging through the rest at 4mph.

I wear these. They are cheap and very fog free. They only fog at temps well below 0F with lots of steamy effort. They don't' seal perfectly on my face but they are a goggle style.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Pyramex-I-F...70_&dpSrc=srch

mtbr member
    Thanks bedwards. I ve been looking at the swisseye sandstorm already, that one looks similar: Details - Swiss Eye International GmbH

I think the problem is that my breath is comng from behind the buff and then fogging the lens on the inside. So I need glasses that have foam to keep my breath on the outside. I will order them and when they arrive, it is probably not so cold anymore but I'll keep them for later.

Anyone has other ideas?

Woodway: nice picture, makes me a bit jealous...

CB of the East
    I swear by this style face mask with mouth and nose vents. If I use a turtle neck style buff over my mouth I will get fogging.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Gator-Sport...70_&dpSrc=srch

mtbr member
    So I just ordered both the sandstorm and some cheapo ski goggles off ebay for comparison.

I have a balaclava with an opening for my mouth but still I have somw fogging. I am probably a difficult case ( as usual )

Moderator Moderator
    Nice skiddah bedwards, I was hoping for a moose though! I think my glasses with foam are from Wiley X, clear lens. You could also browse the motorcycle section. I get a bit claustrophobic in goggles and don't like the loss in visibility either.

CB of the East
    I've only seen one moose around here and I was on my road bike at the time. There are TONs of deer around this year though. There must be 50+ along my route. Lots of little ones. I think the mild winter is boosting their population.

Here are a few more pictures from the last 2 days. Some already posted here, some new. The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

We've got another 50F day forecast. I wish it would go back down to 0F like March 1st is supposed to do. At this rate I will be riding around the lake with plenty of winter left.

mtbr member
    Oh man what a day. My wife got an inflammation in her jaw under a wisdom tooth the last days and it got so bad, that she is in the hospitel for surgery now :'-( Luckily I have a flexible job so I can work from home the next days and friends are taking care of the kids during the day.

So I am getting used to -10C in the morning. Snow is hardpacked now, but on almost the complete route has at least a track available so it is pretty rideable. On the way home it was -5C but with a nasty 20mph easterly wind.

Chain started to rattle today. Will probably need thorough cleaning and lubing after a week of salted snow...

Oh yeah and I was listed for a Specialized Testival on Saturday around here but cancelled my appointment today...sure somebody else will be happy about it.

mtbr member
    Nice pics bedwards! Those first 2 are the best Ride here...etc

and the second one looks like somebody forgot a frameset in the woods.

CB of the East
    Oh man what a day. My wife got an inflammation in her jaw under a wisdom tooth the last days and it got so bad, that she is in the hospitel for surgery now :'-( Luckily I have a flexible job so I can work from home the next days and friends are taking care of the kids during the day.
    Oh, I just went through that with another tooth fall 2016. The pain got so bad on Sunday that I was looking for painkillers that we had around for a previous dog surgery or something. I had just ridden a century the day before. I went in to have it checked out on Monday and they sent me to the oral surgeon immediately to get it pulled. 3 months later it started again and they had to pull the one next to it. So tell her I sympathize!

Thanks on the pics.

Make this nice weather stop! I'm enjoying my frozen lake.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  25.4 KB

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I have to agree, tooth pain is the worst! I hope she feels better soon, cyclingdutchman!

bedwards, great pix and that is a lot of deer to see!

No ride for me today, had to leave early for dog class. I did get to pick up my Terra already with the replacement hub, awesome! Sounds like a fluke, Mavic reported it was the first one that had to be warranteed, but we'll keep an eye on it. Mechanic did not think it was due to riding in all weather. If it goes again, I will of course HAVE to upgrade it.

mtbr member
    Liking the pics Bedwards

Dutchman, I hope your wife is on the mend!

First ride today for a couple of weeks. Last week everything stopped for snow. Other areas of the country still have it bad, they're on about helicoptering supplies in to some places.

ROads are clear around here in general, temps have been well into the positive Cs. That said there were several sketchy patches on the backroads I use. I got held up by cars slowing and waiting for others to pass etc but had no safe way round them so the journey was longer than anticipated. One stretch was still very snowy. I thought I'd ride what I could and walk the rest. As I walked a section I was not sinking in too far but then it got mid thigh deep suddenly. Decided not to walk the rest of this and go around. I was already late...

The handle bar looks high because I sunk, the bike didnt

How was your commute today?-snow-2018-small-.jpg
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

CB of the East
    Wow Slip, that is some deep snow for your area! How much did you get? We're expecting a foot on Wednesday.

I did the fatbike race up Mt Washington yesterday. Commuter Strong here. I took 8th overall in the fatbike division.
    The Candid Cyclist: I Don't Think I Need To Do That Again...

Of course it didn't stop me from riding in this morning. I tentatively took the lake which was holding well but I think once it gets buried in snow in a few days it will be over. The trails this morning were fantastic!

mtbr member
    I'm glad to see i'm not the only one whose ride is affected by snow. We've gotten maybe a foot an a half all told from the recent bouts of snow. This isn't in and of itself enough to stop my riding generally. In town things get back to ridable quite quickly and even on the first day or two after a snow event there are side roads and alternate routes. However, I'm finding that it is the situation in the valley that's making me chump out and drive - The multiuse paths are all parallel to the highways in the valley. These generally do not get plowed or groomed. Moreover, they get blasted by all the overthrow from the plows so, while the road may have gotten a total of 1.5 feet through these events, the bike paths are packed with at minimum 2 feet and most of it is heavy, wet, salty crud that is impossible to ride through regardless of bike. Heck, people don't even try to walk through it.

I could ride the shoulder, but that does make me nervous, particularly directly after a snow event when the shoulder is quite snowed in.

Anyway, I hope to get back on the commute train tomorrow. I'm getting a bit wimpy in my old age...

mtbr member
    ^^ You're right, that's the most snow we've had for a long time, at least 10 years but probably more like 25-30 for the depth. I guess we got about 18-24" here in Norfolk. The North East and South west of the UK got it worse after us, mostly due to the drifting, and are still suffering.

Don't remember seeing snow like it before, basically the temps were cold and the flakes just didn't stick together, I guess you guys would call it powder? That's essentially what is in the pic, the field is almost bare after being blown by the wind, which hit 40mph or so, and just blowing it into the sheltered spots, generally the roads, that's what really caused the problem even now, 5 days after it fell. Normally when we get snow it's just around freezing and is wet and sticky.

Great race report too, aside from the pain and cold etc they seem like fun! Congrats on the PB and to the missus for the Podium

Blockphi, the overthrow on the MUP sounds delightful! Don't blame you for opting out.

mtbr member
    Quite an adventure bedwards! Nice pics too on your blog.

Snow will disappear soon enough slipspace. Temps are upto 10C here too all of a sudden.

Missus came home again and is getting better and better. Thanks for the good wishes everyone, I am sure it helped.

I didnt ride today and probably will not for the rest of the week. Have to drive the kids around and in between trying to work in the plant or homeoffice. Roads were clear but without spikes it was not doable anyway on the sidewalk or MUPs.

Concerning commute miles I never had such a bad start in the year ever. As far as I know I managed only 1 full week of riding and had already 2-3 weeks of no riding at all. Some day it will get better - it cant get worse

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

I did the fatbike race up Mt Washington yesterday. Commuter Strong here. I took 8th overall in the fatbike division.
    The Candid Cyclist: I Don't Think I Need To Do That Again...
    Awesome job, team bedwards! Please congratulate rollingrunner for me!

mtbr member
    Uneventful journey on the way home and this morning. I did stop last night to snap a pic of the drifts though. Road has been cleared, it's right by the city highways dept It's just these accumulations that are left now really

How was your commute today?-snow-2018-2-small-.jpg

Can't we all just ride?
    1/4" of fresh snow, 29F, winds constant at 25 with gusts to 43 right in my face. Hmm...
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Those are some impressive drifts Slip!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Awesome job, team bedwards! Please congratulate rollingrunner for me!
    Will Do! Speaking of RR I left early to do the ride in with her this morning. She was hesitant (not going to) cross the lake on her own but I convinced her to take the trails. The lake was fine this morning but I'm getting more tentative every day. The snow ice on top softens during the day.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^We had an ice fisherman fall through today. He made it to shore, but it took hours to get his scared buddies off the ice.

No work today, town meeting day, where Vermont townsfolk get together and discuss the issues, budget, etc. in an open forum, and still vote by the ayes and nays. I took a nice 18 mile road ride with some hills and nice views of the White Mountains; the dirt roads are terrible right now, my car almost ended up in a ditch a mile from my house while I was going 10-15 mph - the ruts are horrendous and there is still frost underneath the mud. One town held their town meeting at the Long Trail brewery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-town-meeting.jpg  

searchin for Animal Chin
    Dang y'all winter commutes are are exciting! I've been slacking lately but rode today and had a little action at the end.

How was your commute today?-20180306_064709.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    Last night I had a really pleasant ride home, other than my ass hurting my my calves cramping up. I know it's just par for the course for having not ridden in so long. I did take a great pic over the Brazos pointed toward downtown, though. I'm hoping that soon I'll be able to pick up a small camera that can do a better job than my cell phone to get some better pics. There's so much cool stuff to see, I'd hate to not take the opportunity.How was your commute today?-20180307_001650.jpg
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    It was 60F on the ride home yesterday. This morning, it was around freezing and snowing. Go figure.

CB of the East
    ^^We had an ice fisherman fall through today. He made it to shore, but it took hours to get his scared buddies off the ice.
    I think there is a message in there somewhere. I looked up the story. That is some dark rotten ice they were out on. I could tell that ice wasn't safe by the low res picture.

Burning cars and lit up bridges!

I only saw a few deer as usual. They don't show up too well on the video. My SD card was full before I made ti to work too.

mtbr member
    Looks nice TNF!

Eugene, was that an accident or did the car get on fire by some mechanical failure?

Nice video bedwards. Looks like a roe deer running across the trail in front of you, right? And what camera did you use for the recording? A GoPro?

And MTBX: Wow a town hall meeting in a brewery - must be relaxed people in that town hall

Thanks everyone for the tips on the glasses with foam padding. Both the cheapo ski goggles and the swisseye sandstorm arrived last weekend and today I got to the test. Temps are back to normal, just above freezing, light rain, foggy and cloudy. Snow is gone already so it is grey and dull and boring outside again...last night with the full moon, it was brighter outside during the night than it is now during the day :-/

Anyway, the swisseye sandstorm is a winner! No fogging at all, not even when standing still in front of a light. When I changed it for the usual swisseye f16, it was totally fogged up after 3 breaths. So a clear winner there and a new favorite for me for colder temps. It doesnt have changeable lenses though so I will have to be pretty careful with them - for 27 I dont expect any wonders on resistance to scratches...

CB of the East
    It is a Contour camera. Yes, one deer crossing and then a group of them a little later. White tail deer around here. The camera has a wide angle lens so unless they are really close they are hard to spot. I figured out that it is cutting off at 1 hours because I only had a 4GB SD card. That's why it stopped just short of the race finish. I found a 8GB one kicking around this morning.

If I remember I'll check out the sandstorm goggle when I need to replace mine. Although I could get about 3 pair of my goofy looking ones.

mtbr member
    Ok I didnt know that brand.

I'll be wearing them regularly from now on and I will be happy to share my experiences later this year. But when you get such cheap ones, why not? I did not really find anything very much cheaper and the stuff from the DIY store around here is usually junk, so I didnt even try there.

I dont know if I will ever wear the skigoggles. They look bulky and they smell. Have it hanging outside at the moment to let it air out. Maybe next time when temps dip to -10C again. Probably in another 10 years...

mtbr member
    BTW slipspace, finally a pic of your complete bike. Looks like it has seen a lot already and is still going strong. Like that front fender too! The longer the fenders, the tougher the cyclist I have concluded over the years. So.I build extra long fenders on my bike too

mtbr member
    Pretty nice ride in this morning. Had to ride the highway a good portion of the ride, but no biggie. Now that the light is coming back in the mornings (for the rest of this week, anyway) I'm not as nervous. Tomorrow will probably be working from home, but planning to bike on Friday as well. Time to start ramping the riding back up as the weather should be improving, more light, and a car that needs a lot of work that I can't afford right now (wheel bearing, timing belt, accessory belts, and, ideally, head gasket.)

searchin for Animal Chin
    Eugene, was that an accident or did the car get on fire by some mechanical failure?
    Accident, the car rear-ended another little car. I couldn't believe the drivers were just standing there at first, right next to the fire wow! I was going to ride over and tell them to get the f away but they walked away and took cover, geez!

mtbx I bet we'd all be better off if all gov't officials hashed it out at a brewery instead of a fancy congressional hall!

Moderator Moderator
    No word yet on the results from the town meeting held at the brewery, maybe they are still there!

No commute today, eye doctor appointment this morning, so I will give my public service announcement to wear your sunglasses for any outdoor activities, to reduce the risk of early cataracts.

The nor'easter was supposed to be in full swing this afternoon, but the snow is behind schedule and I think less than forecasted. Maybe 6" overnight/tomorrow is my guess. Looks like more by bedwards.

Morning update: some parts of VT really got dumped on:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-snapshot.jpg  

Last edited by mtbxplorer; 03-08-2018 at 03:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Dang y'all winter commutes are are exciting! I've been slacking lately but rode today and had a little action at the end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180306_064709.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	1186271
    Holy crap! Action indeed... I note the lack of snow in your picture and want to register my envy at your geographical location...

I've been away from the commuting for quite some time - not so much slacking, as sick, super duper busy, sick again, then sick kids, then more sick...

Besides which, this winter has been a rear hum-dinger with snow like you would not believe. Plus the multiple freeze / thaw / refreeze cycles we have had make cycling a real adrenaline sport...

It is now mid march and we still have snow on the ground - my garden is reduced to a series of trenches between the mounds of the white stuff. Cool for skiing, but not so for the cycling.

My commute in today was with my power meter on - I just wanted to see how far I've fallen off the wagon after six months of poor sleep (thanks to the little guy teething and generally being a little guy - he is nine months old now!), all that rich Christmas food, two rounds with the cold, one bronchial / throat infection, one round of winter vomiting bug and one sinus infection... The news, well, it isn't so good.... Where before I was holding 250+watts for 30 mins easy, I am now struggling to hold 150... But each pedal stroke is a joy! Today I was cold, tired and loving every minute of it. Even on studded tyres!

Which is good, since I need something to cheer me up - I got made redundant on Monday... Luckily I negotiate deals for a living so my severance package is ok - I get paid more or less out the rest of 2018 - so now I just need to dust off the old CV...

mtbr member
    MTBX - At least your politicians (and voters) are honest enough to acknowledge how things really are done by working out of a brewery. Most of ours seem like they couldn't organise a pissup in one though tbh..

Dutchman - the bike has seen a lot, probably 5-6k of riding by me over the last couple of years in it's current guise, although on drops for the first year. No doubt it was someones pride and joy at some point but it got badly mistreated somewhere over the previous 25 years, certainly before I picked it up for 20. Glad you like the mudguard extension, it's a section of plastic milk carton zip tied onto the mudguard
    It will be retired soon though, it has had enough. I'm waiting on the approvals to come through, but a new bike will be on the way soon. Not the one I linked to a few pages back.

Bedwards - Love the commute!

Car yesterday, waaay overslept somehow. Bike this morning, stiff souwesterly in my face most of the way. My normal route is still blocked with drifts but most places are just left with the water.

How was your commute today?-after-snow-small-.jpg

mtbr member
    Ghost!!! Good to hear from you man! We must have posted at the same time Sounds like it's been a rough winter for many reasons. Way to go on the redundancy pay though, that's quite some cushion. Good luck with getting back to fit again. Look forward to your progress.

CB of the East
    Good to hear from you Ghost! Spring is coming and those legs will come back.
    The nor'easter was supposed to be in full swing this afternoon, but the snow is behind schedule and I think less than forecasted. Maybe 6" overnight/tomorrow is my guess. Looks like more by bedwards.

Morning update: some parts of VT really got dumped on:
    We only got about 6" so far. The southern part of the state got hit a lot harder. I'm glad to not have 32" but that could have been a fun way t end winter.

Still enough snow that I am in the truck.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Back from my vacation in Central Oregon. Did some downhill and xc skiing and showshoeing. Nice time. But I picked up the crud towards the end and it got progressively worse. I took monday and tuesday off the bike and then rode yesterday. Big mistake as I nearly coughed up both lungs. So I'm taking the rest of the week off. Will hit it again next week.

Hope you all back east are OK in the Noreasta!

searchin for Animal Chin
    Ghost good to here from ya! See you on strava once in a rare while lately welcome back!

Drove the truck today and will drive the truck tomorrow too. Because stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks guys! Im only working at this place one more week, so I need to get all the bike commutting in that I can manage. I wont have a commute to ride!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Mostly over my illness and back in the saddle this morning. 43F and clear, easy ride in this morning. Supposed to be close to 70F for the ride home tonight! Then back to the typical low 40's and rain for the rest of the week.

CB of the East
    Wow 70F!

We are due to get another nor'easter tomorrow but the winter trail commute is over until next year. It turns out that I still like riding on the road so that's good. I headed out today thinking it was in the mid 20Fs but was thinking damn it is cold. I got to work to find it was 18F. I'm about 20 minutes faster on the road which helped the first day back after the time change.

mtbr member
    Was overcast with occasional spots of rain this am. Everywhere is clear of snow although there is still some hanging around. Since we've been at probably 6C+ for the last week it's taken it's time. Went my usual route which had been block, it's clear apart from one patch that was still shin deep.

CB of the East
    Wow Slip, it is taking it's time getting out of there. Our last 12" storm has melted down pretty well but have no fear, the forecast is for 12-24" today. This will be our 3rd "Noreaster" in the last 12 days.

The snow was supposed to have shown up by the morning commute but it was perfectly clear so I took my bike when I was planning on carpooling in the truck.

It has started now and the bike is loaded for the trip home.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    As advertised it was 70F+ for the ride home last night. Sun was out and it felt like summer. First shorts ride since last fall.

Clouds moved in overnight which held the warmth in so it was still around 60F this morning when I rode into the office. But the temps will be dropping all day and rain in moving in so we will be back to more seasonal weather soon.

bedwards I seem to remember you predicting that winter was over for you a couple weeks ago...

CB of the East
    These are more spring storms. We often get storms like this in early April. It snows like crazy and then melts away. My winter commute is over. That's the most disappointing thing.

mtbr member
    I'm slacking but had a great ride after work yesterday - 40F and sunny as can be. Was overdressed in my riding pants and hoodie. Needed shorts!

ooppps, that was the wrong image. Here is the actual image from yesterday:

How was your commute today?-20180312_155647.jpg

How was your commute today?-20180312_155640.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-20170530_091519.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice pics Blockphi. Did you actually see a bear or are they still in their winter rest?

Sunday afternoon it was +15C, where it was -15C not even 2 weeks ago. Next Sunday morning is expected to be -5C again. No further comment to that....

Was off yesterday but with 3 kiddycommutes I made more than the distance of a one-way commute. Today was the first commute again in a week. 4C all day, foggy and damp but no rain and little winds. Snow has melted away completely already and lots of rain washed the salt off the roads. Strange to see everything in natural colours again instead of snow white. Looked better in snow actually, way brighter than it is now. 3 weeks ago, we had everything covered in snow and with a clear sky and a full moon, it looked brighter during the night than it does now in broad daylight...

mtbr member
    Nice pics Blockphi. Did you actually see a bear or are they still in their winter rest?
    Still sleeping for a few more weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Got slammed by 16" today, and another 3 expected. I was still able to ride and fortunately, since I had first tracks, I was able to ride through this very deep snow since there were no footsteps to throw off my momentum and bounce me around.
    It was very fun, and I am enjoying every snow day since the snow days are numbered!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classy View Post
    Got slammed by 16" today, and another 3 expected. I was still able to ride and fortunately, since I had first tracks, I was able to ride through this very deep snow since there were no footsteps to throw off my momentum and bounce me around.
    It was very fun, and I am enjoying every snow day since the snow days are numbered!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    First tracks!!!!! Always fun. Moreso when you are able to make those even on a skinny. Love that puffy, fluffy snow that is like riding through a cloud. So awesome.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Cool pics everybody! 73F on the way home today, with the time change have to remember to put on some sunscreen! Only 3 months 'til 100+

Bedwards I read in the news the northern US should get some northern lights action tonight due to solar storms, lucky you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    It's hard for me to imagine all that's required to ride in snow - that looks rough!

Monday I got caught in a downpour during my 5 mile commute. I had thought that I could dodge the rain, but by the end I got soaked to the point where my shoes were full of water. Luckily all my stuff was in a waterproof Topeak 10L Backloader bag that also worked as a rear mudguard. Not having a front fender sucked. My front tire kicked up a bunch of water right into my face.

I was looking at the Topeak XC1 front fender, but the reviews aren't stellar. Durability is questionable and it may not actually keep water from spraying me. I'd hate to spend money without solving the problem. Then I was looking at buying SPD sandals and all kinds of dumb rain gear. I'm not sure I really want to invest in riding in inclimate weather. Things will probably be dry by the time the stuff would arrive anyway...

then I can potentially waste money on thinner, high psi, 26" slicks... or maybe a rigid carbon fork... or...

mtbr member
    Love the photos Blockphi and Classy. Way to take on the elements Classy!

Uneventful rides here. The snow I mentioned from my ride in was totally gone on the way home. So different it actually made me question if I imagined it in the morning. Hardly shifted in 8 days and then goes in 8 hours. Thermal inertia thing maybe? Bright and sunny and about 4C this morning.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Rained hard on the way home last night and I flatted and had to change my tire in the rain - sucks.

42F and very light rain this morning, a nice uneventful ride.

Classy - Kudos to you for riding in that stuff. It does look nice and fluffy. Where are you located?

Skaughtto - A good front fender will not only keep water out of your face but will extend down the back of the wheel and keep water off your feet and out of your drivetrain.

Slip - with the sun getting higher in the sky its harder for the snow to stick around, even when it's cloudy (solar radiation).

mtbr member
    Classy that looks nice indeed

Skaughtto, you should really mount some fenders. Good fenders usually are very long, especially the front one. Check the front fender of Slipspace in his picture further above on this page. Mine looks about the same and the rear fender too, since I am pulling a trailer every once and a while and I dont want the rear wheel to shovel it full with mud (not to mention onto the kids that are in there....)

Eugene, sunscreen now already? Next week is supposed to be -7C again here...

Slipspace, you are right. Seeing that picture above which is just a week ago, it is hard to imagine that it is all gone already.

Nice rides today. Uneventful with dry, calm weather and ~3C. Liked it. Got a compliment from my manager this morning that I looked so "refreshed". After a month in which I could hardly ride, apparently you see the difference after 2 days of riding.

And speaking of riding, I made 800km / 500m so far this year...which could have been 1200km/ 800m already. Maybe I will be able to catch up later in the year. And if not, no problem

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ nice work Dutchman. I like how you incorporate your kid duties into your riding!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    First tracks!!!!! Always fun. Moreso when you are able to make those even on a skinny. Love that puffy, fluffy snow that is like riding through a cloud. So awesome.
    Skinny or fat, pushing through 16" of snow has never been possible for me and I'm not a 98lb weakling. There just isn't enough traction to get up hills with all that extra drag. And on the roads slipping into cars is problematic.
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Bedwards I read in the news the northern US should get some northern lights action tonight due to solar storms, lucky you!
    It's funny, I don't give credit to all the "Fake News" comments that get thrown around but apparently that was some. No, a Massive Geomagnetic Storm Will Not Hit Earth on March 18

Speaking of 16" of snow. I didn't ride yesterday or today. Not tomorrow either. Maybe, maybe Friday. Winter cold is supposed to return over the weekend so maybe, maybe the lake will lock up again. IDK, it's all up in the air now.

searchin for Animal Chin
    It's funny, I don't give credit to all the "Fake News" comments that get thrown around but apparently that was some. No, a Massive Geomagnetic Storm Will Not Hit Earth on March 18
    Oh I didn't get to see that fake news I was referring to today the 14th Huge solar storm set to slam Earth tomorrow | Daily Mail Online They mentioned northern Michigan and Maine. I've only seen the northern lights once and that was when I lived in Wyoming, didn't even know what it was at the time. Saw it in the news the next day, pretty rare that far south.

Tomorrow's my Friday I hope to ride to work, been feeling super tired lately for some reason.

searchin for Animal Chin
    And yeah sunscreen already, will have to get some extra to stash at work for the ride home!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Northern lights are cool. We get to see them every once in a while here in Washington State.

29F and clear this morning. Nice ride into the office. My legs are a little tired from basically being off the bike for two weeks.

Enjoy your ride Eugene before the real heat sets in!

mtbr member
    Eugene, I am still stashing cold cream at work

Thanks woodway. Actually the kids really like being underway with bike or trailer. We dont push them to ride, to go faster or further. And we always combine it with an icecream at the end if possible I think it also has to do with the fact, that a bike expands their radius and speed compared to walking. Furthermore they see more along the way than from the car while driving.

Dry today again but a nasty cold 20kts wind from the east, which was full head on on the first half on the way home. Today was one of the rare days, where I was faster on the way in than on the way home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Finally a dry day. Plus enough light to add a little single track.

How was your commute today?-5c11c6ba-b30b-4e31-ba8d-e5a2accaf89a.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

CB of the East
    No northern lights. It was snowing.

I did throw the bike in this morning and carpooled to work so I get to ride home.

searchin for Animal Chin
    ^ bummer on the northern lights!

Wood this is about my favorite time of year in Vegas, it actually rains once in a while and the temps are perfect.

Dutch what is cold cream? Is that like the opposite of sunscreen?

3 days off now time to hit the dirt!

Moderator Moderator
    Too busy shoveling to bikecommute. Measured 25" avg yesterday a.m. in my yard, and have gotten another foot since, although it consolidated some with warmer temps yesterday and is still about 25". Powder, but really dense. Of course that also meant snow slid off my roof onto my front entry and back deck, resulting in more shoveling just to be able to get in and out of the house. The local fatbike trails aren't groomed yet because it is too deep for the snowmachine - they are looking for snowshoers and skiers to help pack it a bit first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-snowkeep.jpg  

Can't we all just ride?
    Good commute but I kept having phantom shifting. Of course I just changed cables so it was the old "derailleur cable is almost a full shift too loose" deal.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    MTXB you're going to need a taller dog or shorter snowbanks.

I'm not sure I like these road speeds in winter temperatures. My feet are still cold an hour after my ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I only get flats when it's cold outside. 32F (actually not that bad) and about 2.3 miles in something slashed right through my Schwalbe Marathon. Don't know what it was, but close a half inch wide and it went through the tread and the puncture protection. At least the Marathons mount easily enough even with cold hands.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Or one of those orange flags on a fiberglass pole.

I'm sure you all have had enough of winter about now

30F and clear on the ride in this morning. No wind and light traffic made it a nice morning to ride.

I'm going to try to get some MTB miles in this weekend. Have a good weekend all.

mtbr member
    F4S you managed to slice a marathon?? Not many people manage that...

Still caught in snowmageddon mtbx?

Temps around freezing yesterday and even more wind, about 20kts with gusts upto 35kts all day. Was leaning into the wind at some stretches. Temps will go down to -7C early next week but the wind will calm down. Windchill temp was down to -15C today. At least, the swisseye sandstorm is doing a good job. Love to have clear sight and feeling hardl any wind in my eyes. Makes riding much more comfortable.

Rode 4 of 5 days this week. Wife is healthy again, kids go back to school next week. Life is turning normal again after 5-6 weeks.

mtbr member
    Dutch what is cold cream? Is that like the opposite of sunscreen?

That is indeed something like that. Keeps your skin in shape instead of getting to.dry in cold temps. Mostly based on beewax.

Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure I like these road speeds in winter temperatures. My feet are still cold an hour after my ride.
    Toe warmers are a luxury worth the $.99. I put them on top of my socktoes, it seems more comfy.

True! It is still snowing and yesterday you could tell he was rethinking the "lead dog" thing. We were packing our trails on snowshoes and he did a u-turn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-uturn.jpg  

CB of the East
    ^^ LOL

I'm cheap. Toe warmers are a luxury for temps only below 0F. Today's 11 degrees didn't cut it.

But the last few days of it did freeze in the shores of the lake and give the main body of ice new life!!! I've probably got another bonus week of trail commuting! The trails were in good shape. All the wet spots were frozen back up and all the ice was buried under packed snow. Woot!

mtbr member
    Craptastic for me today. 35 (1.6C) and light rain in the valley. 39 (3.9) and heavier rain in town. I've said how much I hate riding in the rain at near freezing temps right? If not let me say it right here. I hate riding in the rain at near freezing temps. There's just no good way to do it. Moreover, the rain is turning the groomed ski trails to mush meaning that I had to jump to street sooner and got to deal with standing water...

I did, however, pick up a Patagonia Rainshadow jacket this weekend and, surprisingly, it works pretty well. I didn't wet out today, even on the back with tire spray.

That said, yesterday I did go for a ride in the rain in it and did wet out after just under 3 miles - most likely due to sweating heavily due to higher levels of output than today.

Other than that, I guess I'd say it was a good ride... because it was a ride when it would have been so easy to say "Naw, I'mma drive today..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    44kms of Fattie commuting is always a good day 👍

How was your commute today?-ca9d2772-a908-4097-ad3a-3de89c512ea6.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Well Blockphi with fenders and good hardshell clothing it can even be fun ;o))

Lucky you bedwards!

Sickness here all over again. Wife and #1 have stomach flue so I brought #2 to Kindergarten on the bike (-3C) and then rode to work. It was sunny and finally the wind had calmed down, so it was very nice on both rides. Could have brought the sunglasses!! But I forgot...4C on the way home, all well.

There was an Endura Ad here where you could win some stuff. I entered my email and I got an email with a discount code to save 20% if the total order exceeds 50$. If anyone is interested: The code is mtbr20 - a generic one for everyone who participates I can recommend the urban stretch pants (3x), the luminite rain (1x) pants and the urban jeans (2x). I just didnt figure out how to order from Germany, the German site only refers to dealers, you cant buy directly. Sent them an email, we'll see how it works out.

Moderator Moderator
    2F this a.m. and I did add the toewarmers, even with boots! Warmed up to 20F by the ride home, shed the knickers (that sounds wrong!) from under the shell pants, and removed 1 layer on top.

mtbr member
    Sucks for all of you still caught in the deep cold. Lowest temps for me recently have been in the 30s. We've had some weather in the 60s, but it's a bit of a roller coaster. Yesterday was warm, but today I'm hoping the precipitation holds off until I get home. The forecast make it look like we might be straddling the line between rain and snow right when I'm set to ride home.

CB of the East
    Does this look like it sucks? No, it was awesome!
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg
    Happy First Day Of Spring!

I'm enjoying the last days of winter riding. I go on vacation in a few weeks and when I return I expect summer. Skipping mud season would be fine by me.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice fattie J_Westy!

Bummer about your family Dutchman. Hope they are better soon. I don't need any biking stuff or I would try the discount code. Thx for posting.

I'm happy spring is here. It was cold this morning, 29F when I left the house, but clear and no wind. Nice morning for a ride actually. Will probably be in the mid-50's this afternoon. Rain later this week.

Enjoy your time off the the remaining snow bedwards.

mtbr member
    Colder one for me this AM. 20F at the house, 28F in town. I'm actually hoping this trend continues as I have a group ride planned for this weekend to ride to a glacier and if it doesn't freeze back down, we can't make the trip.

A bit slick in town. And a fair number of temporary ponds with a thin scrim of ice on top.

mtbr member
    Does this look like it sucks? No, it was awesome!
    Awesome in a wintery sort of way. I rode trails this weekend in summer gear. I'm over winter (unfortunately, winter isn't through with us yet).

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    30F and clear this morning. No wind. Nice morning for a ride. Supposed to be mid-50's again today for the ride home, then rain is moving back in.

Looks awesome bedwards!

mtbr member
    The rain transitioned to ice/snow yesterday just before my ride home. I haven't been running fenders recently and kind of regretted that last night. My feet/butt were soaked. The sleet nailing me in the face wasn't super pleasant either. It snowed all night. If it had been colder, we would probably be looking at a foot or so, but much of the snow fell before temps dipped below freezing. We have somewhere between 4-8" on the ground depending on where you look. The roads weren't too bad, but they are soupy. I drove in this morning.

mtbr member
    You and Your brood are not having a good year so far Dutchman. Good to get the littlun out again though.

Yes Bedwards that does look awesome.

No ride for a few days, First today since thursday I think. Sunny and just above freezing which was made especially nice by the fact it was NEW BIKE DAY! Actually picked it up saturday but work schedule meant I couldn't ride til today. Guards still being fettled when this was taken but only daylight pic I have. Rack to go on when it arrives

How was your commute today?-pinnacle-dolomite-1-small-.jpg

One of https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle...-bike-EV306255 for anyone interested

mtbr member
    Congrats slipspace!!! Looks very clean and stealthy. Many happy miles on it!

And where on earth did you get that effin long front fender?? I made one that long myself by gluing on a part of a 2nd fender.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Sweet looking bike slipspace. Single Speed! What kind of gear ratio are you running?

I'm guessing that the fenders are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-C...+bike+cascadia

I have them on my bike and they are great.

Class Clown
    Wind to my back riding in, twas glorious. Ride home was the opposite.

CB of the East
    ^^Usually the wind at the end of the day is stronger too.

NEW BIKE DAY! Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Yes Bedwards that does look awesome.
    The last 3 mornings have been similar. Let's hope the ride home today is awesome. It's been above freezing and my wife reported that it was more mushy than fun yesterday in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Thanks folks

Dutchman, Woodway - Guards are SKS Longboard LONGBOARD - SKS-Germany I got them from Evans with the bike. Not sure what size ranges they do though, maybe only 700s.

As I changed the tyres over from my old bike, I asked for them supplied not fitted. Didnt want the shop to fit them and then not be able to get the wheels in with the bigger tyres on. Stock were Kenda 700-26 (odd size right?) whereas I had 700-28 Marathon +. It is a tight fit under there in terms of diameter with the 28 tyres. bottom rear guard fixing has a very skinny bolt head.

Woodway - Yep single speed. With discs that severely limited my choice of bike, been looking a while but this ticked the boxes. Currently 68ish GI. I thought it might be a little spinny but not too bad so far, (old bike was around 77GI) but i'm gonna stick with this for the short to medium term. I think I will benefit from the higher cadence.

Today was probably double figure degC, first ride this year in shorts. Wind was cool, roads were wet from overnight but otherwise quite bright

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Slipspace - It's a sweet looking ride! Will be interested to hear about how you like that gear ratio. I've been thinking about building up a singlespeed for a change-up in my commute. But my commute is really hilly and I have been debating with myself on what the proper ratio would be. I think i'll have to run some trials with my regular commuter by dropping into a gear and not changing all the way home.

Speaking of commutes - 40F and light rain this morning. Supposed to be heavier on the way home tonight. Uggh.

mtbr member
    I checked those SKS Longboards and now I know why I dont have them: They are available in 32 and 45mm width only. I have the 53mm Bluemels on them. I didnt realise though that they are really that long. But good for you, it will keep your drivetrain and bottom bracket clean.

Commuted my son to Kindergarten today. He wanted to ride in the kiddy seat on the back, despite the drizzle and temps around 2C. So we rode and he didnt complain. The ride is only 6-7 minutes so not much time to get cold anyway. Drizzle on the way in, during the lunchwalk and during the way home. Spring is coming...

CB of the East

It's friday!

The mornings are still pretty good, the afternoons. Not so much.
    How was your commute today?-img_20180323_072742_262%5B1%5D.jpg

These videos all pretty much look the same but I'm posting in anyway...

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice pic and video bedwards! Looks like it was a beautiful morning to ride.

37F and cloudy for me this morning. Wet roads but no rain. I started getting that squirmy feeling from the rear of my bike about 0.5 miles from work. Stopped and aired up the rear tire and then jumped back on and started pedaling like hell to beat the leak. I ended up riding in the standing position to try and keep weight off the rear wheel. Did not quite make it - the rear tire went completely flat right in front of the office - ended up walking the last bit down into the parking garage to the bike storage area. Will run down at lunch to swap out the tube.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Members who have read this thread: 169