Page 231 of 632 FirstFirst ... 131 181 221 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 241 281 331 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 15778
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm especially proud of the camo bar tape...really sets it off IMO Bummed to put the fenders on, but I'm going to have to...rain is in the forecast.
    +1 on nice bike. Torn between a monster cross Singular, the Ogre, or a fatbike as my next addition to the stable. No money but one can dream, right?

Painting the fenders, in the tan or sand color of the camo, or even camo would complete the aesthetic.

BrianMc

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Hope that helps, though somehow it looks like I just spit out a stream of not very helpful gibberish
    Helpful, thanks! When I saw your pics, I had visions of a folder bike that I could take with me on trips to ride mellow singletrack, but it sounds like it's most at home on gravel or paved trails/roads. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I just need to recalibrate my thinking a bit...

What does your Bike Friday weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    That sounds like a (long) great route! What do you mean by 29 X-29?:
    Sorry that should have been "Motobecane Fantom 29 X-9". Yeah it's a good ride and helps me knock off the pounds (from 310#'s down to @ 230#'s in 11 months). Only bad thing is we get some stiff breezes down here in S.W. Az and it's ALWAYS A HEADWIND!! no matter what direction I'm riding. Now that spring has sprung, it's nice to ride, even at 0600 am it's about 60-65F.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I Ride for Donuts
    got the fenders on the Ogre... Brian, good idea on the camo fenders... maybe camo duct tape? That would be easier than paint... I'll see if I can find the same pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture3.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    ^^The deer won`t see you comming until it`s too late!

EDIT: And then they`ll nibble those Big old Apples from the midst of their road kill

Moderator Moderator
    I had been eyeing a potential shortcut between two paved roads on my route, across the top of a flood control dam in E. Barre. I suspected it was not actually shorter but it does avoid the rotary and some down and then uphill through E Barre village. At first I thought it was fenced, but the chainlink is only to protect dodos from falling over the walls of the concrete spillway. It is a flood control dam only, it does not impound any water like most dams around here do. It is dry except for the normally unimpressive Jail Branch River running through it.

It worked fine, you could pedal around the pipe gate and itís not posted at all. On the far end you get to the spillway and chain link, and you get to do a short MTB down the rocky embankment, steep enough that I did not make it back up this a.m.

When I got home I googled it and it was quite fascinating, because it was originally built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) from 1933-1935, 84,000 cubic yards of rock, mostly done by hand! This was close on the heels of the flood of '27 that killed 85 people. In the winter, they worked at the quarry to get rock for the dam, basically following the same route I take to work. They rode the 3 miles in open trucks, and that was in the winter of 1933 when it hit 40 & 50 below (F). The camp for up to 2000 workers was located at a farm on the end of Reservoir Rd., also on my route (last pic).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p4101803.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p4101806.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p4101807.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p4101808.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p4111812.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    got the fenders on the Ogre... Brian, good idea on the camo fenders... maybe camo duct tape? That would be easier than paint... I'll see if I can find the same pattern.
    Nice bike....

I just don't get why they had to add the seat tube to top tube brace...

It should not be at all neccessary

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Dam nice photos MTBX! Thanks for sharing.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I had been eyeing a potential shortcut between two paved roads on my route, across the top of a flood control dam in E. Barre. I suspected it was not actually shorter but it does avoid the rotary and some down and then uphill through E Barre village.
    Long short cuts are cool

I thought I had found one yesterday. It would have added a few miles of woods riding and avoided a few miles of narrow, hilly, winding, no shoulder, poorly tarred country road. It started off as a maintained but gated dirt path but dwindled to trails. Unfortunately I couldn't find the outlet. So, back I went to the beginning and did the aforementioned roads. I'm going to have to do some exploring to see if there's a way through. This was posted near the entrance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-2012-04-10-18.31.36.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Nice bike....

I just don't get why they had to add the seat tube to top tube brace...

It should not be at all neccessary
    I have had the same thought. From a physics standpoint it doesn't make sense. I think they just liked the look. Probably in the design phase they were playing with gussets like it has on the downtube, and then thought "hey, we could put a whole tube right there. That looks kind of cool. It's already on the heavy side, why not?"

Moderator Moderator
    I have had the same thought. From a physics standpoint it doesn't make sense. I think they just liked the look. Probably in the design phase they were playing with gussets like it has on the downtube, and then thought "hey, we could put a whole tube right there. That looks kind of cool. It's already on the heavy side, why not?"
    On my MTB they added the same brace so they could move the top tube down on the seat tube and increase the standover, but they only had to do this on the smaller frames where the standover would otherwise be unacceptably high.

mtbr member
    I thought the same, but I wasn't sure about your sensibilities on using duct tape as a finishon your pride and joy. I thought I saw some somewhere. Looks like you can get a match here:

Camo Duct Tape

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    I punched a minivan this morning. He tried to merge into me. Left a big dent in his rear fender. Felt kinda bad, but it did keep me from getting hit. Inconsiderate driver has hopefully learned a lesson. And i hope the dent pops out.
    Dent versus mangled leg or dead is no contest. Andy of Yellow Jersey (bike shop) in Madison, WI, says slamming the roof of sedans is also effective and better than being squashed like a bug. My brother found slamming his fist down on the trunk of the car that jus cut him off and slammed on its brakes. Of course, that was after he crawled out form under the bumper. A rear fender kick might have avoided that.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Commute this morning was perfect. Just warm enough not to have to wear the jacket, nice and crisp air, beautiful clear sky. Legs felt great, average speed was, well, above average, just a great morning to be on a bike.

This afternoon will be the opposite, based on the occasional smattering of rain drops hitting my office window and the gusting winds (up to 41 mph according to weather.com) that will be right in my face 70% of the way. Looks like that cold front got here a few hours earlier than expected. Did I mention I didn't wear my jacket this morning?

Just wanted to complain a bit ...
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Frozen in the AM, a sloppy wet mess in the PM. Poor drivetrain...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    What does your Bike Friday weigh?
    Rodar - I found the weights on the BF website. I am all over that website - seriously considering N+1. The wife was not totally convinced until I told her I would get one for her too. I think she is almost there...

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    The wife was not totally convinced until I told her I would get one for her too.
    Good thinking .

If you order two at the same time, I believe you get some kind of self referal credit. Fire off an email to them- they`ll respond quickly. You probably saw they have used and returned bikes for sale on the site. Also, ask if anything special comes to mind because their customization prices don`t seem a whole lot more than the stock bikes. In my case, custom actually came out several hundred less because I went for V-brakes, plain seat post and 8 speed while the stock offering was BB7, Thudbster, and 9s. Oh, 27 pounds naked for my Llama with 1.5 tires.

weirdo
    IWhen I got home I googled it and it was quite fascinating, because it was originally built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) from 1933-1935, 84,000 cubic yards of rock, mostly done by hand!
    Those guys sure did some nice work- pretty much any old stone work can be attributed either to CCC or WPA, at least around my area. Probably a lot more stone work out your way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm going to have to do some exploring to see if there's a way through.
    With camera! Was your dead end over the same rocky creek bed type roads that you posted yesterday? I believe you when you said it was hard going on the cross bike, but it did make for a nice picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    And i hope the dent pops out.
    You`re a lot more forgiving than I am

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Long short cuts are cool

I thought I had found one yesterday. It would have added a few miles of woods riding and avoided a few miles of narrow, hilly, winding, no shoulder, poorly tarred country road. It started off as a maintained but gated dirt path but dwindled to trails. Unfortunately I couldn't find the outlet. So, back I went to the beginning and did the aforementioned roads. I'm going to have to do some exploring to see if there's a way through. This was posted near the entrance.
    That does look like good exploring! Having lived in the area, I was curious where it was and saw the topo map F&W posted. Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Morgan Meadow WMA No through trails showed up on there, but of course that doesn't mean much. The "meadow" looks like tough going though, it's a big wetland in the middle of the parcel. Have fun & good luck!

mtbr member
    Chilly commute today! Temperature on the bank sign said 27F and I believe it! Tired legs but the sunrise was gorgeous. Wish I had taken*** pictures to share.

Pretty cool that so many of you guys have some off road options on your commutes!

***Edit for spelling

MTB, Road, Commuting
    That does look like good exploring! Having lived in the area, I was curious where it was and saw the topo map F&W posted. Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Morgan Meadow WMA No through trails showed up on there, but of course that doesn't mean much. The "meadow" looks like tough going though, it's a big wetland in the middle of the parcel. Have fun & good luck!
    Yeah, I've been scouring the satellite and topo maps for trails. This morning I took the route around the back of it looking for a way in. I was within a few thousand feet on a trail in from the other side but didn't find a connecting trail. I'll have to go explore it on my mountain bike when I have more time. I did find another entrance on a different road but I don't think it goes through.

I turned my phone GPS on on my first trip in at the point I turned around. This is my track from the highest point.

No Rodar, the trails weren't quite that slippery. Most of the other ones weren't either. I'll have to bring the camera in and find that bog.

Today's commute was awesome! Took the long way as I mentioned and even a small trail spur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I feel like I cheated...

After riding my bike over and staying with the lady friend, I had less than a 1/2 mile to ride to campus this morning. One of the most pleasant commutes ever.

I also took another route home last night that added 5 miles to my ride, but I got to ride some nice gravel road that dumps out onto a paved MUP which is right near wear my neighborhood is. However, I trade construction for cars doing 50+ MPH, but hey, at least there is a bike lane!

Comfy in it's cube today.

"I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Second morning in a row that I've seen a guy commuting on a unicycle. I assume that he doesn't go too far, but it looks fun (and somehow it is so much less dorky/douchy than the segway commuter I occasionally see)

Last commute for me until late next week. Tomorrow is moving day, and Sunday is new puppy day!

I Ride for Donuts
    The Ogre is making snow in April a little more tolerable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

MTB, Road, Commuting
    New bikes make everything more fun. Even new tires on old bikes.

I haven't picked up my new puppy yet. Is "New Puppy Day" always the Sunday after Easter or does it change from year to year.