Page 230 of 230 FirstFirst ... 130180220226227228229230
Results 22,901 to 22,995 of 22995
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post

Maybe start by driving half-way to work and riding from there for a couple weeks, then extend your ride as you get fitter?
    This exactly. Biking is just like anything else, right? If you try run a marathon directly out the gate, you'll end up just hurting yourself and hating running.

Start slow, build slowly, then you'll be all good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post
    if you look at the map, you see i'm pretty close to the 49th avenue trailhead and I ride Nayles and Shang-ri-la.

I struggle on parts of Nayles, and the idea of commuting was (1) get out of a car (2) get lighter for Nayles.
    I've never ridden Nayles. It looks like it'd be closer to my inlaws' place. I have mostly stuck with John Brown and Vortex while I'm down there. I was kind of disappointed last year when I didn't bring a bike. I always enjoy riding in FL as long as I stay away from the spiders and don't end up puking because of the humidity.

too be fair, if it's "78" during the day and "44" when I wake up, that's 34 degree swing.
    We get temp swings like that here too, although those temps are more like our Spring. Preparing for that type of swing can be tricky. Arm/knee warmers are great for that kind of weather. Wear them on the way in with mid-weight gloves. Ditch them on the way back and wear regular gloves.

mtbr member
    Hi Jelako,

+1 on the "start easy" start Just start off easy and build it up over time. This way you also get to know which kit is good for certain weather.

-6C here this morning and it was absolutely gorgeous. No wind, clear sky and dry as a bone, so no icy spots at all. We had a sunny bright day and the ride home was basically the same. And 2 more days of that coming, yay!

Moderator Moderator
    We didn't get above freezing here, so we got snow instead of rain, and 5-8" forecast for tomorrow at a 1-2" per hour rate. Good thing I save on some gas when I ride because my plow bill is killing me this year.

I have to agree, 1-way or part-way (park and ride or bus if available) bikecommuting is a great way to break into it without killing yourself. Also, if you can minimize what you carry that will help too.

mtbr member
    Jelako, I think you already have the ideas from those wise on the subject so good luck with it. It does get easier.

Dutchman, Cold and dry is good! I like riding in that sort of weather.

I rode yesterday, right around freezing, dry and snowing, Ground wasn't frozen so it didn't lay but all in all a nice day for it. Today I looked out the window, it had snowed overnight leaving an inch at most but was raining. I just really didn't fancy riding in the slop and getting soaked tbh.
    2018 commutes - 13 days, 260 miles

mtbr member
    Freezing rain
    this morning--
    I drove

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Warm and dry this morning, 45F when I left for the office. Good ride in but my bike has developed a squeak that is driving me batty. I'm going to do my best to ignore it till the weekend when I plan to strip the bike, clean and lube. I've been riding in wet, gritty conditions all winter and it's time.

mtbr member
    13F (-11C) at my house this morning. Working at a client in the valley, so there were ups and downs in temps as I made my way up hill and down dale(?) - the entire route crosses from west to east an ancient glacial moraine that goes north to south, so lots of up and down. In the downs the cold air just sits and waits for a fat sweaty guy on a bike to come barreling through - then it pounces and freezes the sweat soaked clothing solid. Good times.

45F - Can't wait for 45 so I can bust out the shorts!

mtbr member
    So I broke my lowest temp record this morning. It was -8C from last winter, this morning my speedometer showed -9,2C / 16F. It was calm and sunny. I was sweating and warm when I got to work, so the clothing has some reserve in it The bikerack was quite empty though today. The speedometer is quite accurate since I can compare it to the airport weather report where I work. On the way home I ditched a layer which was quite good, it was -2C only.

The next days will be a little less cold it seems. I now understand people rather have it this cold than above freezing and rain. I really liked it.

I do have an odd issue though. My shifting cables freeze when I start going. This itself is not strange when there is water in the cables which can freeze. My bike is outside all night though and when I leave, it works. After 5 minutes, everything solid ?? WTF??
    Will bring a 8mm wrench tomorrow. When it happens, I take off the Rohloff gearbox to see if it is really the cables or if the shifting mechanism is frozen - without the gearbox you can change gears with the 8mm wrech, a multitool pliers or something. Very curious.

Slipspace, your bike is ok again? or still on 1 brake and creaking BB?

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Freezing rain
    this morning--
    I drove
    That reminds me of a Haiku, but it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    45F - Can't wait for 45 so I can bust out the shorts!
    Word! 45 is definitely shorts weather.

It's not quite shorts weather here. I headed out without checking the temperature. At lunch somebody mentioned that it was single digits this morning. I must be getting immune to it because I would have guessed closer to 18F. Sorry dutchman, I beat your record and didn't notice .

I was seeing deer all over the place this morning which is normal but pretty close to work one came out of the woods just in front of me and took off down the trail just ahead of me. 20 feet closer and it would have been a tackle! Oh, and the trails were very nice but that's over now since they are already under 4-5" of snow with up to 12" total.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I really did appreciate the replies and advice. The end cost of an eBike is a huge hang up in my house, but man do the following rides really have me focused on getting the super commuter:

My ride home on Tuesday:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1395185621

After not being on a my bike for months, riding into work (14 miles), working a full day, I still rode home and only dropped a "minute" from my morning commute, but over 45 minutes from last summer:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1048012832

The big difference was that, I was not completely "wrecked" yesterday. I was sore, but I wasn't completely useless. I took yesterday off and then rode to work today:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1397441186

I shaved off 11 minutes from Tuesday, in the "rain" (it's more of a mist).

There is no question if I lost weight and trained, that I could do this on my X-Cal, but man does having access to an eBike and the ability to commute both directions twice in the same week inspire me.

It really is a lot of fun to ride the ebike, but also the ability to maintain cadence for the overpass over I-75 and the two "points of elevation" on the other side, is what I think makes the biggest impact.

Someone mentioned something to the degree of not throwing money at the situation, and by and large I really agree with that, but man...it's going to be in the back of my mind. The Trek Super Commuter met and exceeded every expectation I had.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^I can understand the siren song of an ebike Jelako, but if you stick with riding and it grows into a habit (as it has with many of us), you'll gain a lifetime of fitness that you won't get with an ebike. Can't put a price on that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    you'll gain a lifetime of fitness that you won't get with an ebike.
    It's only 4 rides in the span of 2 separate days, and in no way do I intend to be confrontational at all. That stated, "fitness" in terms of health and heart rate, even though I was on an eBike and had pedal assist, I still maintained my heart rate at 134 BPM average with a max of 156 BPM. I am not running a cadence meter, but I kept from my studio cycling days, I was able to do the old put your hand on your leg count. ;-) On the climb over I-75 and the two "points of elevation" - I never dropped below 65 RPM, which last summer I had to actually walk my bike to the crest of the I-75 overpass. On both "points of elevation" I didn't drop below 70 RPM. Even on the "downhill" portions, I still never exceeded 110 RPM (I don't like the freespin/wild spin feel). By and large across the entire trip, my goal was to attempt to maintain 90 RPM.

The eBike was fascinating to me because of the 4 modes: ECO|Tour|Sport|Sprint. On my ride to work Tuesday, I kept it in ECO with the exception of the I-75 overpass and the two points of elevation--then I went up to Sport. "Fresh" I never went into "Turbo". On my ride home Tuesday, I was "fatigued" and started out in ECO but very early moved to "Tour" to maintain cadence. On both "points of elevation" and the I-75 cross over, I did in fact go into "Turbo" so that I wouldn't fall below 65 RPM.

Now admittedly, on the long stretch home and knowing I wouldn't have battery issues, I did play with "Turbo", but I tried to maintain that "90" rpm without going over "100" rpm.

Same for this morning, I knew my legs were not as fresh as Tuesday so I started and maintained "tour" but if I found myself going over "90" rpm, I did push a higher gear. When I hit the bridge and points of elevation, I did go into Turbo.

My Battery is still in good shape, so my ride home tonight my goal is to stay in Tour, but have Sport/Turbo available to use.

My point is though, in terms of "Fitness" (again, this is the 3rd ride "ever"), my heart rate and cadence are stabilized. The eBike, no question is assisting, but because I have a knowledge of heart rate and RPM, the eBIke isn't a "pedal scooter" that I'm getting zero/minimum fitness benefits from. Additionally, as my level of fitness grows...the eBike would just be as good or arguably "better" for long term fitness in that you have both the pedal assist AND your gears as resources to assist in RPM and Heart Rate.

In no way do I want that to come off as confrontational. At the same time, I think "eBike" in and of themselves have a stigma. Right now, I couldn't do round trip 28 miles on my X-cal. I could do it on an eBike, twice in one week and easily could do three times in a week (unfortunately, I have to turn it back in tomorrow). Once my level of fitness grew, there is no doubt in my mind I could do the full trip on "eco" and still get as good of a workout (Heart Rate and RPM) as "any" other form of cycling, because in the end you're still moving the pedals. It's on the rider to ensure that their heart rate is in the proper zone and pushing the biggest gear possible while maintaining the appropriate RPMs.

mtbr member
    I'm not a big fan of e-bikes, but commuting is one area where I think e-bikes are fine, for the most part. Still, there's no reason why you couldn't duplicate those Strava numbers, after a little bit of training, on a regular bike while pedaling 80-90+ rpm.

mtbr member
    The ride in was nice. 19F with a very light fog. The trees are still covered in ice. With the sun peaking out, everything looked like a dream world.

CB of the East
    (unfortunately, I have to turn it back in tomorrow)
    But you already made it your Strava Profile picture!

Did you check out the Copenhagen wheel link I posted? There's a dealer in Floral City so you could potentially try one out. You already updated your existing bike for commuting so all you need is the motor. The battery is a little smaller so you may need to recharge it at work. It has different levels of assist too. https://www.superpedestrian.com/supp...sistance-modes. I also noticed that they have a 30 day satisfaction guaranteed return period. I've never actually seen one of these. I'm just trying to find some middle ground between $5000 and not bike commuting.

No bike commute for me today, snowstorm cleanup.

mtbr member
    Hey Bedwards and all, I know some of you guys are beating me by far on the low temp record. I was just trying to explain that it is a new low temp record FOR ME. I think you guys understand and I bow full of respect for you guys that ride in -20C or even -30C

So this morning temp dropped to -9.5 on the speedometer along the way so that is again a record FOR ME but just barely compared to yesterday. Again only -2C on the way home...

Took an 8mm wrench with me today but of course, shifting didnt freeze up today...

Tomorrow will be the last glorious day. Saturday its getting cloudy, Sunday wind and rain with temps above freezing will kick in :-/ and we are going back to the dull grey windy wet usual winter weather here. Bah.

CB of the East
    Ha ha, I'm just giving you crap. I know plenty of people that won't go out below 60F. After that cycling season is over.

-9.5C!! Woot Woot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Ha ha, I'm just giving you crap. I know plenty of people that won't go out below 60F. After that cycling season is over.

-9.5C!! Woot Woot!
    This morning my teamleader and a collegue from 2 offices away came to check up on me and to ask if I rode. I said that I did and that I LOVED it

mtbr member
    Not too bad this morning. 7F/-13C at my place. No wind. Working in the valley again today, so fairly steady temps the whole ride in.

It's taking me about 41 minutes to do the 6.93 miles from my house to the client's site on the fat bike with little to no snow cover. Granted there are a handful of traffic lights, but it feels like I am taking longer than I should be... That's an average of 10.24 mph. Maybe it is more the fact that I am riding a route that I used to only ride as a for fun ride and never rode with loaded panniers before.

Probably best not to think on it too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You guys posting about your temperatures sure do make us Florida residents look like *HUGE* sissies.

I wore short sleeves in "mist" but when the sun came out it was in the 60s.

mtbr member
    I bet you guys get the high temp record in summer!! Everything over 25C in summer is seldom here and over 30C ist just as seldom as the low temps we have now. So dont worry, your time will come

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    I bet you guys get the high temp record in summer!! Everything over 25C in summer is seldom here and over 30C ist just as seldom as the low temps we have now. So dont worry, your time will come
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather ride in the cold generally speaking, than in extreme heat. There are only so many clothes one can take off in public and stay out of jail...

mtbr member
    May 2009

It was glorious... can't wait for the ride home.

mtbr member
    ^^ Happy guy there!

First commute today in over 2 weeks for me. Caught a real bad cold that knocked me out of work a few days and it just lingered and lingered. We had a record month for people being off sick. Went for a couple mtb rides but couldn't ride 100 ft or so without blowing a slimey stringy snot rocket

Feeling much better now, temps are nice, I think it's springtime in Vegas already! And as far as riding in the cold, I'll take the heat any day. Lots of water and sunscreen!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    Slipspace, your bike is ok again? or still on 1 brake and creaking BB?
    It is mobile pending deciding on a new ride hopefully. Took the freewheel off and apart to clean it out. Then I realised how worn the teeth were and decided it was just fit for scrap really. Did well for a Dicta really, must have done 4-5k miles with only 1 rebuild to clean and grease. No spare 18 tooth so put on the 17 tooth Shimano one I have. Was intending to work up to that for summer but keep me mobile. Means I'm now SS on something like a low 80s GI (52/17 on 622/28 tyres). Nothing doing with the crank, it still cracks. Jury rigged the front brake, not pretty but it works. Even long term I doubt I'd change it tbh.
    How was your commute today?-dsc_0138-medium-.jpg

I've been much more of a wuss with the ice than you, there has been plenty of black ice on the country lanes, even had my AWD Subaru skidding about which convinced me driving was the right thing

Rode today which was a good choice despite the rain as the main roads were rammed due to multiple accidents (mainly as people are stupid) and failed traffic lights.

Nice pic minusprime

Moderator Moderator
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather ride in the cold generally speaking, than in extreme heat. There are only so many clothes one can take off in public and stay out of jail...
    I agree, the heat is rough! Although here in VT public nudity is not illegal, just disrobing in public. Hence the annual naked bike ride, and occasional story like this Sunscreen, VT law protect naked man in Burlington

CB of the East
    Looks good minimusprime! What part of the world is that?
    As a guy you can get pretty close to zero, LOL.

OK, this is for you dutchman (and Jelako)
    Name:  image.png
Views: 158
Size:  13.1 KB
    I was hoping that somebody had blazed a trail across the lake. I might as well have hoped for a magic unicorn. So I walked it. Trying to make the walk as short as possible I cut through a summer camp to the road. Unfortunately that road didn't connect to the road I though it did... I did make it to some snowmobile trails that I don't usually take and they were semi-packed and at least passable. Things got better from there. Everything was slow but ride-able. It was cold but a beautiful day.
    vvvvv
    How was your commute today?-20180209_073352s.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Fantastic conditions this week for 187 km of commuting!
    Dry. Temps around freezing for fast forest roads.

I can‘t remember the last time I didn’t have a cm of mud caking my downtube!

How was your commute today?-2f44e46e-108f-4c20-8147-d0d253dee5ca.jpg
    Last edited by J_Westy; 1 Week Ago at 01:33 PM.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Great pic as usual bedwards. -11F? Wow. You and blockphi are animals.

Glad to see you back in the saddle Eugene.

Jelako, it's all good. Choose something you'll like/use and then ride, that's what really matters.

I'm working from my house in central washington today. I brought my commuter with me to strip and clean but before I do that I went out on a 32 mile jaunt up into the Wenatchee National Forest.

Teanaway River, running full:
    How was your commute today?-img_20180209_084412102_hdr.jpg

Nice country road, I saw five cars the whole ride:
    How was your commute today?-img_20180209_084546673_hdr.jpg

Views keep getting better:
    How was your commute today?-img_20180209_084726629_hdr.jpg

Made it up to the snow:
    How was your commute today?-img_20180209_090240019_hdr.jpg

End of the road, need a fatbike to go any further:
    How was your commute today?-img_20180209_091350717_hdr.jpg

CB of the East
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F44E46E-108F-4C20-8147-D0D253DEE5CA.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	1182216
    Time for a little chain lube there Westy! (The pot calls the kettles chain dry )

We don't have JeffScott here anymore with his -30F rides so -11F looks cold! It was actually about 15 degrees lower than they had forecast. It's almost up to freezing now. Those look like some good roads. Where is all the salt and sand on them? I'm almost ready for a road ride again, almost. Other than the temp this morning winter has been mild here lately. I'm thinking that it will make a comeback before it leaves.

mtbr member
    Nice pics in here guys!

Woodway, is that your new Ti commuter?

So I rode today. Again quite refreshing for my standards at -7C this morning, but I wore a thinner jacket and I was fine with that, so apparently I am already getting used to it. Shifting cables were frozen in again from the beginning and after I took off the gearbox, it appeared to be really the cables and not the shifting mechanism itself. So I'll just flush the outer cables with oil and put everything back together. Or not - it wont freeze anymore according to the forecast, so no pressure there...

Made a detour home to get my favourite cheese in the neigbouring village and clocked 30km/20m for today. The last stretch home was good, unpaved but just as hard as concrete :d

So this has been a good week. A new low temp record FOR ME and the first week this year, in which I rode 5 of 5 days.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Indeed that's my Ti commuter. But it's not new, I've been riding it for years and it has ~35K miles/~56k Kilometers on it. It's a great bike, comfortable, light and durable.

Maybe you need new cable housing Dutchman, with hooded ferrules to keep the elements out? Something like this:

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/hooded-ferrules

And good job riding this week!

mtbr member
    Thanks woodway. So its the commuter on which you broke a rack mount a while ago? I remember you were debating to buy a new one. Thats why I thought you have a new one already. But glad to see its still working!

Good that you mention those ferrules. Will have to dig deep in the parts bin but there should be something there. Just not sure if they are for brake- or shifting outer cables. If not I have the possibility to hop in the lbs here. I know I have new inner cables when needed too. I think I'll be able to get it.done Keeping stuff in the parts bin might seem odd since selling brings money, but having it when.you need it >> priceless.

CB of the East
    ^^And I'm sure a couple spare ferrules wouldn't fetch a huge price.

Well, the lake was a slush pit today and the trails were too soft to ride so I took the camp roads. This one was impressively icy! I wouldn't want to be going up that hill in a 2WD car.How was your commute today?-20180212_071354s.jpg

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks woodway. So its the commuter on which you broke a rack mount a while ago? I remember you were debating to buy a new one. Thats why I thought you have a new one already. But glad to see its still working!
    That is the same frame. I have been riding with rack kludged on with some cable ties while I decided what to do. But that decision was forced this weekend. Through a mis-communication between my wife and I, my bike was run over by our truck this weekend, breaking the frame beyond repair.

The details are too painful to relate

So I am making arrangements to have a new frame sent to me by the weekend. This week I am riding to work on my full-squish 6" travel mountain bike. I feel a little over-gunned and I am sure my bike will stand out in the bike room

Well, the lake was a slush pit today and the trails were too soft to ride so I took the camp roads. This one was impressively icy! I wouldn't want to be going up that hill in a 2WD car.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180212_071354s.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	1182614
    When I first saw the picture I thought it was running water. Wow, slick!

CB of the East
    Through a mis-communication between my wife and I, my bike was run over by our truck this weekend, breaking the frame beyond repair.

The details are too painful to relate
    Dude! I know you wanted a new bike but...WOW!

Are you going for another Habanero? It sounds like you need more than a frame!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Dude! I know you wanted a new bike but...WOW!

Are you going for another Habanero? It sounds like you need more than a frame!
    Yeah. Trashed my bike rack too. It was ugly.

I stripped the frame this weekend and surprisingly, all the other major components were fine. Fender broke but I needed new fenders anyway.

I'm getting a new Habernaro frame. I want to give a shout out to Mark at habcycles.com who is helping me out with a crash replacement. GREAT support. If anyone is thinking about a quality Ti frame at less than half the price of the name brand Ti frames, give Mark a call. I've been nothing but happy with my Habernaro frame and the support I have received.

mtbr member
    Not too bad this morning. 38F/3C at my place with a light breeze. Appears it is raining there now. The bus ride was a bit interesting. We were sliding around a bit as the whole route to town was beset with rain...landing on pavement with below freezing temps. Good times. In town it is 33F/1C with light breezes and the trails are in pretty good shape after a dusting of snow over the weekend.

CB of the East
    Every time Habanero comes up I consider replacing my Cross Check frame with one of their cyclocross/touring frames. All the bits and pieces on it are good but the frame is heavy and lifeless. But then I don't.

mtbr member
    woodway that sounds tough!!

Fat tires work on that blank ice bedwards^^?

Mainframe got a virus over the weekend so I had to bring the kids to school. After that I got caught in +1C, a 15kt headwind with wet snow. Yuck. On the way home I managed to dodge the showers but it was close. The good days are over....one more sunny day tomorrow and then we are back on the dark side.

CB of the East
    My fat tires are studded so yes. Non-studded are a little better on ice than skinny tires because of the large contact patch but ice is ice. Your weather sounds a little crumby.

mtbr member
    Oh man woodway that sucks about the bike! And bedwards that road looks like it's ready for luge or a bobsled run

Saw this in the middle of the trail on my ride home today.

How was your commute today?-20180212_162145.jpg

mtbr member
    Shame about the bike Woodway, like losing an old friend I imagine. New friend on the way though!

Bedwards, I understand the picture is but I'm not quite sure I comprehend what I see. That looks scary for a bike; or a car; or anything.

Eugenethejeep, is that Eugeniethejeep? Did she make it home?

Day off yesterday. Rode today, I would have anyway but no choice, car is sat in the garage with the gearbox sat next to it, mid clutch change waiting for the flywheel to be ground. Cold wind but otherwise bright and sunny. No lights required for getting here, first time this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Eugenethejeep, is that Eugeniethejeep? Did she make it home?
    Nah maybe I would have tried to drag it home if I had a rope, but I still had about 5 miles to go. Would have been tough sledding for sure!

CB of the East
    ^^Ha, that would be one of the more difficult things to get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Oh man woodway that sucks about the bike! And bedwards that road looks like it's ready for luge or a bobsled run
    Except it is convex and not concave. It hadn't changed much by the ride home but it isn't a problem with the studs and a little caution.

We got some cold weather so I'm back on the trails, Woot!

How was your commute today?-20180213_063747s.jpg
    Pre-sunrise

How was your commute today?-20180213_065621s.jpg
    Sunrise about 15 minutes later.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    New frame scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I'm taking the opportunity to replace a few bits that need replacing, so I'll have parts trickling in all week. My wife will be so happy

Since I was riding my mountain bike home last night, I decided to take advantage of some local singletrack. Managed to get about 5 miles of a 17 mile ride off road. I'm going to try to get a few more off road miles tonight.

How was your commute today?-img_20180212_171716909_hdr.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180212_171853446_hdr.jpg

This morning was clear and 25F when I left the house. Supposed to rain tonight.

CB of the East
    ^^Aw man! I was thinking our winter riding was going nice but I like the look or your trails!

mtbr member
    No ride for me today. Laziness I think more than anything. Have to go to a client's site and then back to the main office so it was just easier to drive. Maybe. We've been having freezing rain and just plain old rain here, so the roads are shite. The bike trails seem pretty good, though. I brought the bike in and, if time permits, I'll hit some trails before I head for home. If not, I'll either try to get some trails in the valley or just hit the trainer. Definitely plan to ride tomorrow... unless it is raining in the valley again. Rain at just above freezing is beyond my ability to endure anymore.

mtbr member
    Blockphi, couldn't agree more, rain at 1 or 2C is the worst.

Temps was around 3C this morning but the wind was cold.full grey cloud cover, the sun must be up as it's not dark but it's real gloomy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Since I was riding my mountain bike home last night, I decided to take advantage of some local singletrack. Managed to get about 5 miles of a 17 mile ride off road. I'm going to try to get a few more off road miles tonight.
    Dang, it looks like you should go that way more often
    --------------

CB of the East
    Long way in! I was up early so I took a southern route across the lake that I don't usually take. Good thing I was up early since it took 1:40! Trails ranged from packed and fast to chunky and slow. I did stop for a pic since all posts are better with a pic.
    How was your commute today?-media.jpg
    Good Morning Woods

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice bedwards.

35F/1.6C this morning with some light rain. It's been fun on the mountain bike this week hitting trails on the way home. I squeezed another couple miles of trail in on the way home last night. But riding a full-suspension mountain bike 30 miles RT with almost 2200 feet of climbing is way more work than riding my Habenaro. I'm going to be tired by the end of the week!

New parts for the bike have been tricking in. My wife rolls her eyes everytime I gleefully open a box. She just does not understand, but I know all of you do

CB of the East
    ^^Wow that is a hilly commute each day. Yeah, you'll be tired. I get a little extra tired during these winter trail commutes. I might be looking for a carpool one for some of the legs this week since my wife is filling in on a compatible shift.

mtbr member
    Indeed very nice pics again bedwards.

Things get hectic here. Mainframe got a virus so monday and tuesday I worked only 9-15 to keep the homenetwork up and running without the 2 demolitioners getting on the loose. Had to take the next 3 days off to keep everything together at home, so no real commutes for me this week. Kids and I did commute to school and kindergarten yesterdaymorning and will do so tomorrow hopefully. #1 held up very well on the 2km/1.3m commute to school while riding on frozen slush https://youtu.be/oYjq41WIk0o

I have a slow start on the commute miles this year but I will hopefully catch up later in the year.

Stay safe guys.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 1 Week Ago at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    ^^screaming everytime you open a box woodway?

mtbr member
    Rough one this morning. Temps in the upper 20s/low 30s. The snow and overthrow from the plows on the bike path along with the temps made for horrid riding. Thus I rode the shoulder of the highway. Plenty wide, but no street lights, 7 am, icy, 60 to 70 mph traffic not use to seeing bikers on the road. Nerve wracking.

This afternoon should be better, hopefully. Probably will still need to ride the shoulder, but it will at least be light out.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Awesome video Dutchman! Love to see your little one all decked out for winter riding and just cruising along like a pro. Assume you both have studded tires?

Sorry about the crappy commute blockphi. Spring will arrive soon!

mtbr member
    Thanks woodway. So he has schwalbe little joe studded tires, I have continental wintercontacts. Works pretty well so far. Also priceless to see the other parents coming from their freezing cold cars because the engine does not warm up on that short stretch and making that face

Good luck with your build. Are you doing the build next weekend?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks woodway. So he has schwalbe little joe studded tires, I have continental wintercontacts. Works pretty well so far. Also priceless to see the other parents coming from their freezing cold cars because the engine does not warm up on that short stretch and making that face
    Ha, you need to make a video of that!

Good luck with your build. Are you doing the build next weekend?
    The plan is to rebuild this coming weekend. Pedal rebuild kit, new cable/housing, headset, bottom bracket, chain, bar wrap all have arrived. New fenders and the replacement frame are due tomorrow. Going to be a fun day on Saturday!

mtbr member
    Cool video dutchman, he's already got a rear rack on his little commuter!

No commute today had to stop off at the store for some Valentine's taco stuff.

mtbr member
    Snow storm kicked up on the way home today. Nice times. Made for a good ride. About an inch so far and it started snowing just a touch over an hour ago.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    35F and spotty showers this morning. Uneventfull commute.

Detoured onto singletrack on the way home last night. Fun stuff to ride. I'd love to try taking my Habenaro back in there once it's on the road, but I think I would be courting disaster.

How was your commute today?-img_20180214_171507622_hdr.jpg

CB of the East
    ^^It is so GREEN! So far the pictures you posted look flat enough for a road bike. But I've found that they always look flatter until you take the cross bike and then it is bumpy as hell.

Great video Dutchman!

Good commute home last night. The trails had softened some but they were still firm underneath so it was all good. I needed a rest break so I shuttled the car in today so my wife could ride the trails. It was reportedly good too!

There's a fatbike race coming up this weekend so I've got to rest a little bit.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^It is so GREEN! So far the pictures you posted look flat enough for a road bike. But I've found that they always look flatter until you take the cross bike and then it is bumpy as hell.
    It's not called the Evergreen State for nothing

That photo is looking down fairly steep downhill section. It's not the steepness I would be worried about with my crossbike, it's the rocky and rooty sections that are not pictured. When things dry out a bit, I'll give it a go.

Good luck on the fatbike race, I'll look forward to a blog post!

mtbr member
    Ha my 1000th posting

Nice trails indeed woodway. You must be a lucky man with such trails on the way to work!!

Thanks bedwards and good luck with your fatbike race! Show m who's in charge there!!

So I repeated the school commute today and riding the round trip twice adds up to 8km/5m. Including a detour it added up to about the same distance as the one way ride to work. Doing it again tomorrow

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. Working from home this AM and then have a client meeting on site, so'll end up driving to that. Will probably head out for a ride after that, but depends. We ended up with two or three inches of really fluffy snow last night, so some of the trails close to home might be good riding as they didn't have much of a base left underneath after the last warming event.

The trails I've been riding up towards the mountains are going to be a mess right now as they got much more snow and it appears it may be snowing up there right now.

Maybe I'll just hit the trainer and watch something on Amazon or Netflix instead...

mtbr member
    Great pics folks, I really should post more of mine.

Love the video Dutchman, your littlun is so confident! Good to see.

Wednesday ride home was grim, I was an hour late leaving, it was around 2C, dark, a cold wind got up to 40mph according to the forecast, maybe just the gusts, fortunately it wasn't a head wind, most other direction at some point though, oh and it was raining. Mostly I was ok with it tbh but glad to get in a hot shower.

No ride yesterday. Today bright, sunny, 0C, some ice (not much as yesterday was dry).

Good luck with the Fatrace Bedwards.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Well I had a little wreck on the trail going home last night. It happened in the exact spot where I took the photo I that I posted yesterday.

The trail is benched into the wall of a ravine and it drops about 100 feet from the top down to the creek at the bottom. It's steep in places, narrow and twisty. As I was riding down, I came around the corner to the stretch in the photo and a woman was hiking up towards me with an unleashed dog. The trail is narrow and drops off steeply to the left and I was considering options to stop and let the woman pass when the dog comes running at me (friendly) and ends up right down at my feet. I was so worried about the dog I forgot about that tree you see in the photo, clipped the tree with my handle bar and went over the edge still clipped in!

Lucky it's the Pacific Northwest and most landings are soft. I rolled once, and came to a stop about ten feet below trail level, still clipped in. By the time I un-clipped, gathered my wits, and hauled myself and my bike back up to the trail, the woman was long gone. She did not even stop to ask if I was OK (I was).

I even caught my tumble on Strava...see that little notch in my route? That's me going over the edge

How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

This morning was less exciting. 38F, raining and gusty winds. Kind of a crappy morning to ride actually. So I remembered rule #5, jumped on my bike and pedaled to work.

Have a good weekend everyone!

CB of the East
    ^^Glad you made it out with all your parts intact! It can go either way in a crash. And what the heck not even stopping after you didn't run over her dog. Most importantly, how's the bike! Have fun building this weekend.

Last night's commute was unexpectedly good. It was about 40F and I figured the trails would be mashed potatoes but they were mostly firm. The lake did have a lot of water on top so I got a really wet butt. We got rain overnight which did soften things up so I brought "The Tank" with fenders and studs across the lake and stuck to the roads. No wet butt this morning! I'm going to throw the bike in the car for the ride home.

The forecast is for cold weather tonight with some snow into Sunday which should set things up for a good race! Oh, and it is a long weekend too!!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^Bike is fine. Pride, not so much.

Hope you crush it this weekend.

CB of the East
    The conditions are shaping up to be a drag race. So far there are a bunch of local racers signed up so the pace will be up there. I'll settle making it through with my pride and no damages. Mrs bedwards AKA rollingrunner signed up for the short race. It should be fun and there is beer at the end.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    No ride today as it's a company holiday.

But I did finish my bike build, ready to rumble tomorrow:

How was your commute today?-img_20180219_112918941_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice bike woodway!

And congrats to bedwards and RR!

mtbr member
    I'm suffering over here. 60s in the morning. 70s on the way home. It's tough.

CB of the East
    No ride today as it's a company holiday.

But I did finish my bike build, ready to rumble tomorrow:

Name:	IMG_20180219_112918941_HDR.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	1183706
    It looks just like the last one but with fewer tire tracks...(too soon?)

The race was great on some tricky fresh snow. Read all about it here: The Candid Cyclist: Amundsen Fat Bike Dash 2018

We're in a warm spell. I actually road around the lake today not over it. 60F forecast for tomorrow. S0ckeyeus I will feel your pain!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Wasn’t meant to be today...

-8C. Flat at 8km. Broke the tire lever. 1km walk out of the forest so my wife could pick me up.

How was your commute today?-e43025cd-1413-4a62-ac03-74e995dc0f0a.jpg
    --------------

mtbr member
    Wasn’t meant to be today...

-8C. Flat at 8km. Broke the tire lever. 1km walk out of the forest so my wife could pick me up.

Name:	E43025CD-1413-4A62-AC03-74E995DC0F0A.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	1183829
    Bummer. Get some Pedros levers. I've broken every other type I've tried. So far, Pedros have lasted.

CB of the East
    ^^Agreed. Pedro's levers are nice. I have yet to break the blue Park levers either. The one in the picture above looks like a Nashbar tire lever that snaps like a dry twig. I just throw those out when they come with the Nashbar bags.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Congrats bedwards! And double-congrats to rollingrunner for the win! Looks like a fun race on a great day.

I'll joke about the tire tracks on my frame soon, but not yet. The sound of breaking titanium is still too fresh in my mind

I use those Pedros levers too and the seem pretty indestructible.

25F and dry for the ride today. This is considered damn cold around here. So much so that when I went into the fitness club next door to the office to take my morning shower, guys were asking me "did you really ride your bike today?". I mean come on, it's not like it's -11F outside. Now THAT would be crazy

Bike was great this morning. Shifting was crisp and no rattles or creaks. Got to the office about five minutes faster than last week when I was on my mountain bike, with less pedaling effort...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ^^Agreed. Pedro's levers are nice. I have yet to break the blue Park levers either.
    I was looking at the Park TL-6.2 (at least for cold weather) since they are steel core. Are these the blue ones you’re referring to?

https://www.parktool.com/product/ste...-levers-tl-6-2
    --------------

CB of the East
    No I was talking about the cheap ones. https://www.parktool.com/product/tir...e%20%26%20Tire

mtbr member
    I was looking at the Park TL-6.2 (at least for cold weather) since they are steel core. Are these the blue ones you’re referring to?

https://www.parktool.com/product/ste...-levers-tl-6-2
    Just get the Pedro's. They are way cheaper than the steel core Park levers and have a lifetime warranty. I used them on a tire I eventually had to cut off the rim, and while they didn't get the tire off (metal motorcycle levers couldn't either), they didn't break. Plus, they will be lighter than steel core ones, and you won't have to worry about the metal tip. They are pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Good results for the pair of you there Bedwards, well done!

Sweet ride Woodway, I'll bet that was faster too!

No rides for me so far this week....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    18F, clear and dry this morning. Uneventful ride. Still smiling about being back on my regular commuter. It seems so easy compared to riding my mountain bike!

Commuter
    Nice ride, cold as hell in the morning and warmer in the afternoon at 25F. Couple of slick spots but not much traffic. Overall, not a bad 15 miles.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    No commute for me the past few days as I've been working from home, but today was so nice out I just had to get out and get some miles at the end of the day. Bright, sunny, fairly warm, and some decent conditions overall.

How was your commute today?-bike1.jpg
    How was your commute today?-bike-2.jpg
    How was your commute today?-bike3.jpg
    How was your commute today?-bike-4.jpg

CB of the East
    ^^Those conditions look mighty soft to me.

Last nights commute had temps ranging from 45F to 65F depending if you were in a valley or on a hill. It was amazing how different the temperature could be just a few hundred feet away. I was on a drop bar bike and riding around the lake, crazy!

Today I was back on the trails. I was worried that it would be too soft but NOPE! The opposite in fact! The trails were a ribbon of ice through the woods. I laid it down on the lake like my studs didn't exist. When I got unclipped my bike was blowing away from me. Super slippery ice, weird.

mtbr member
    I tried the commute yesterday but the snow eventually came up to my knees and I had to bail out. Yep - I'm excited for Spring.

How was your commute today?-dscn5254.jpg

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    A rare commuter bailout for me today. It started to rain last night when I was raiding home and that rain turned to snow overnight. While the amount of snow was light (maybe an inch) the initial rain had turned to ice underneath and it was just too sketchy to ride. I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd time in ten years of bike commuting that I had to bail. Got chauffeured to work by my wife this morning, so it's not all bad!

CB of the East
    ^^But did you bring your bike to work to ride home?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^But did you bring your bike to work to ride home?
    Unfortunately no. I wanted to, but she had to go to a doctor appointment and was in a hurry to leave which left me no time to get my bike loaded into the car. Bummer because it is turning into a nice sunny day and the temps are going to climb above freezing so it would have been a great ride home.

mtbr member
    No commutes at all this week, been super cold (for here anyway) was actually 28f this morning. They said it was going to snow but it didn't darnit! I'm becoming a fair weather commuter and I don't like it. Need to HTFU I guess! Springtime is right around the corner I hope.

Commuter
    Freezing rain today mixed with snow and freezing rain forecast for tomorrow so no riding for me.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Back on the bike today. 19F when I left the house. I was on black ice patrol but the roads were dry. Supposed to start snowing this afternoon, I'll have to keep an eye on it and maybe bail early to beat it home.

I'm off next week, heading to central Oregon for a week of downhill/cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.

Members who have read this thread: 154