Page 229 of 428 FirstFirst ... 129179219225226227228229230231232233239279329 ... LastLast
Results 11,401 to 11,450 of 21374
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Has one of my scariest moments to date on my way home last night. Was coming down a hill, probably going 26-28mph. I had the right of way, there was a cross street ahead that had a stop sign. There were pickup trucks waiting in each direction, not moving. When I got about 50' from the intersection, one of the trucks went. I locked up my brakes going almost 30 then the truck slammed on his brakes in the middle of the intersection when he saw me. No way I would have stopped in time if he didn't slam on his brakes, pretty sure there would have been quite a collision. He had a perfectly clear view of me coming, so he just must not have been looking. It was about 5:15 at that point, so I didn't have my lights on since it was perfectly bright out. I did have my yellow jacket on. I think I'll be using my flashing headlight and taillights on my way home starting today.

mtbexplorer, great pics! Nice to see other people's routes.
    You may be doing this already, but on those kind of hills I would also "take the lane", as it makes you more visible, you can see cars pulling out earlier, and you have more "escape routes" in case of emergency.

Thanks for the pix compliments everyone. I want to see the photos from the recent contributor (on a different thread) in Paris.

CB, that sounds like a "I was being careful", "how dare you pass me" honk.

mtbr member
    Speaking of interpreting honks, I got one the other day that left me puzzled. I had only just left my house and was maybe a half mile into my commute. Was in the bike lane traveling through my 'burb. 6:15am, dark, pretty darn cold, two blinking tail lights both on and in proper working order (I stopped to check after the honk.) MEEP MEEP MEEEEPPPP from behind. Car passes me and it's no one I know. I figured it was either a, "It's cold, you're a dumbass" or "It's cold, you're awesome" honk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    One of the slowest left hooks I have ever seen. I guess he did not realize I'd hit 30 or so by the time I got to him at the bottom of the hill and he was only just out of my lane though he started out when I was half way down and over 20 mph (no I did not slow, I had an out and I had two vehicles coming up behind me (30 zone where some do a lot more).
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Had one of my scariest moments to date on my way home last night. Was coming down a hill, probably going 26-28mph. I had the right of way, there was a cross street ahead that had a stop sign. There were pickup trucks waiting in each direction, not moving. When I got about 50' from the intersection, one of the trucks went. I locked up my brakes going almost 30 then the truck slammed on his brakes in the middle of the intersection when he saw me. No way I would have stopped in time if he didn't slam on his brakes, pretty sure there would have been quite a collision. He had a perfectly clear view of me coming, so he just must not have been looking. It was about 5:15 at that point, so I didn't have my lights on since it was perfectly bright out. I did have my yellow jacket on. I think I'll be using my flashing headlight and taillights on my way home starting today.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    You may be doing this already, but on those kind of hills I would also "take the lane", as it makes you more visible, you can see cars pulling out earlier, and you have more "escape routes" in case of emergency.
    I think taking your lane helps and I know my lights help, but my driver failed to see me and how fast I was approaching even after he pulled out. Not sure he even saw that it was too close for comfort. The good news is that we do seem to educate some of the partially attentive drivers. Space cadets aren't on our planet, so be careful out there.

CB, that sounds like a "I was being careful", "how dare you pass me" honk.
    Yep. How dare you blow by me when I was being excessively cautious and make me pass you again. If that is the worst thing that happened to them yesterday, maybe they should have a pickup pull out in front of them? Just sayin'...

mtbr member
    PBS had this special last night:

Video: Making Stuff Faster | Watch NOVA Online | PBS Video

The streamliner went by him at 50 and holds the record at 82 and some change. They had footage of him and I looked for Rodar but was unsure if I saw him steady the machine at the end of the run or not. Still I like seeing cycling on the screen as it makes it more mainstream and less weirdos versus us.

Stopping for red lights and stop signs would be problematic. It needs mirrors, a leg access door or retractable training wheels and drivers are really going to underestimate your speed.

BTW Straz I have buried a bike at an excess of 25 mph into the side of a car. Not recommended. Car 1: Bike 0. Die Hard or at least Die Another Day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lots of cool pictures and video clips. Liked the pictures of your trip too Rodar.

Good commuting week thus far. 4 for 4. Feels good after my miserable commuting week last week. Might be buying a bearded dragon (a lizard from Australia and common in the reptile trade) from a coworker tomorrow after work so a drive day might be in my future.

About 48-53 for the ride in all week and 73-79 for the ride home. Pretty agreeable riding weather, except for being a little cooler than seasonal averages in the morning.

Moderator Moderator
    One more, from the way home. The fountain (planter) in the foreground has an old plaque saying it's from the Humane Society - it was for horses (and dogs below) to drink from.
    How was your commute today?-p1020779-768x1024-.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Also, anyone have any good ideas for hauling a pack of diapers without panniers or a rack? Looks like a one handed slow trek for me.
    Hmmm. Duct tape them to a backpack? Use Duct Tape to add shoulder and waist harness to turn the package into a backpack/papoose? New meaning for Huggies! Use a trailer you can later use for the mini-me? Pamper your pampers, so to speak? Make an interesting helmet extension? Gotta Luv it.

Sorry if you think these are crappy ideas or the humor Depends on trade names.

Mine is now 24. Sometime in the future you will look back with nostalgia on these days. Hauling in the pampers is better than hauling them out.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Today was nothing short of glorious. I caught every green light, the weather was just right, and the fully exposed moon gave plenty of ambient light so that even on the darkest sections of my commute, I could still see all around.

As for the diapers. I grabbed a small pack and stuffed my backpack. I'll pick up the larger box this weekend.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    When I have to carry a box of diapers with no rack I plop them on top of my handle bar, right hand on top of the box so I can brake with the front wheel.

Works for short distances, but I had to ride 3 miles like that and it kinda sucked.

local trails rider
    anyone have any good ideas for hauling a pack of diapers without panniers or a rack? Looks like a one handed slow trek for me.
    Depends on the size of the pack.
    People carrying stuff while riding one handed usually looks pretty sketchy to me.
    Any way to strap it on your back?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Bedwards Of The West
    I don't like to toot my own horn, but I feel obligated to point out that I did pretty well at this event this past summer:

How was your commute today?-picture3.jpg

I've been wearing it the past couple of days as inspiration. Wound up riding home after dark last night...pretty big (full?) moon last night, and it lit up the forst pretty eerily on both sides of my dirt road...much slower going UP the dirt road than it is going down in the mornings. I kind of creeped myself out.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Someone made a comment on how relatively flat my locality is. Lots of 1-3% grades and winds rarely below 10-20 mph, though. The Wisconsin Glacier made it flat and river and creek valleys form the "hills". About 3 mies south the glacier stopped and it becomes gently rolling. Last night at sunset I found a view just north of the airport (one small hanger and the limp windsock are visible). These demonstrate the big sky country not too impeded by trees, buildings, and grain elevators, and it was a pretty sky regardless:
    How was your commute today?-img_0494.jpgHow was your commute today?-img_0500.jpg

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ nice. According to Strava, I just topped 100,000 feet of elevation gain for the year. I didn't really start recording stuff until late April though. That would be tough to do there. Looked up my fast friend for perspective...he just topped 227,000.

jrm
    mtbr member
    holy shlt, lots of driver aggression on display this morning due to the BART strike. Almost got it t-boned from 2 left hand turn drivers but the ultimate was the wrong way driver ...****in A folks

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Haven't had a commute since Tuesday. Tapering for Sundays Marathon. Seems best though, it looks like the Waxing Moon is making a lot of crazies out there. I've been reading the latest posts like it's a horror story, biting my nails and looking away! Yikes! Glad everyone is ok!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ nice. According to Strava, I just topped 100,000 feet of elevation gain for the year. I didn't really start recording stuff until late April though. That would be tough to do there. Looked up my fast friend for perspective...he just topped 227,000.
    I don't normally use Strava but you got me curious so I created a Strava loop for my round trip commute and came up with a daily elevation gain of 1041 @170 days this year gives me about 177,000. I can think of 3 weekend rides that had more than 5K each so I think I'm in the 200,000 foot range. So, I've climbed 38 miles this year, no wonder my legs are feeling tired.

RollingRunner has some other fun news that she hasn't seemed to share yet.

Rainy commute this AM, nice commute this PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yup, it's true! I have my first ever new road bike! I've been riding my Father-in-Laws hand-me-down Raleigh until two weeks ago when bedwards1000 took me to a bike shop, fitted me for a bike and let me have a test ride. Big Love! I'm having a blast riding it, but can't seem to figure out how to post a photo. It's shiny and it matches my shoes 2013 Scott Contessa Speedster 25. You can be sure I'll be riding it next week while in marathon recovery.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice pix, BrianMc!
    Rollingrunner, it seems like you just have to keep clicking "go advanced", "upload pix""add pix" "select pix""insert inline" "done", and I may have missed a few clicks! Also they can't be huge or you will get a "red" error thingy.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    holy shlt, lots of driver aggression on display this morning due to the BART strike.
    Again? Didn`t they just strike last year?

Whoa, a full marathon, RR? Yikes! Good luck and have fun. Hope you copntinue to enjoy the new ride. As far as pics, I bet you can find a knowledgeable and willing pic poster to walk you through a time or two.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I don't get to see much wildlife, but my cute little porcupine buddy was out again.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Awesome pics BrianMc and Mtbx!

I'm going to brag just a bit...I am well over 300,000 feet for the year. I really like to climb and am proud of that number. Drug rodar up 4K of those feet too! (loved your write-up on your trip rodar - nicely done!)

Be safe everyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I noticed last night on the way to work that I have a weird creak, rubbing noise coming from the rear wheel, only on right hand turns.WWheel is true and brakes dont rub so I was stumpped. Till this morning when I was trying to find the problem.
    Turns out I have tension issues on the non-drive side spokes. They must not have been relieved and one has actually become finger loose. The others have light tension compared to the other side, so ill see what I can do about it this weekend

Edit

So what happened a half hour after I posted this? I ran my bike through a patch of FRESH concrete, hadnt even begun to set, so I sank in it like mud. Luckily it was only one sidewalk square, but REALLY?! they couldnt think of I dont know, putting a SIGN and maybe barricading that spot?

They had a huge spray canister right next to it so I assumed they had sprayed it down with something like maybe a sealer, or that it was water run off from the construction on the building. Nope, fresh concrete, all over my new to me bike.

Had to stop and clean off whatever I could from the rims, tires, and brakes so I didnt mess them up. I just now finished cleaning the rest of it off now that im home. Luckily the stuff just turns to powder so nothing stuck except for some on the tires. And every nook and cranny on one of my pedals.

I also fixed the loose spokes and got rid of the creak, but im not good at truing rims so I did throw it off slightly. No more creak though. Gonna take it to the LBS when I get paid next week to true it for me. If im lucky maybe hell do it for free, since its his old bike and all.

Why does editing erase all my returns and makes my post one block of text? I edit, save, post is one big block, then I have to edit and add all the returns again.
    Last edited by m4xwellmurd3r; 10-19-2013 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    How was your commute today?-scott_contessa_speedster_25_womens_2013_-_road_bike.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingRunner View Post
    Yup, it's true! I have my first ever new road bike! I've been riding my Father-in-Laws hand-me-down Raleigh until two weeks ago when bedwards1000 took me to a bike shop, fitted me for a bike and let me have a test ride. Big Love! I'm having a blast riding it, but can't seem to figure out how to post a photo. It's shiny and it matches my shoes 2013 Scott Contessa Speedster 25. You can be sure I'll be riding it next week while in marathon recovery.
    FIFY Very nice.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member

That sucks about the sidewalk! On part of my commute, I have to jump on the sidewalk (they're tearing to the road, and I'm not good on gravel). Well, last week they decided to tear up a section at the end, but not the curb, so it goes: concrete-6in drop-6ft worth of dirt-6 inch cement wall.

Great way to scare the bejesus out of someone at 0545.

Tradere Scriptura Magister
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    rode by the LBS today to grab some brake pads. Seen this new addition to the shop and it was whispering to me. " take me hoooome". lol
    How was your commute today?-1395222_718980618115300_918987027_n.jpg
    I was honestly suprised how it rode. I expected it to weigh 10000000 pounds and turn like a tank. It was lighter than i thought and decently handling.

They had a new Kona WO setting next to it. Now that bike weighed a ton and rode like crap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thursday night after work, parts runs- one direction for a wheelset, back across the city for a fork. Ended up doing 2 1/2 hours in icy rain in my shorts and no waterproof clothing whatsoever.
    Near-hypothermic by the end, had to get angry and hammer the singlespeed as hard as I could to bring my heartrate up and heat myself enough to compensate for the water and windchill.

Recovery pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-hypoian.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    ^^ That would be lethal at my age. Hope the soup does the usual wonders.

A reprise anther photogenic sunset last night:

How was your commute today?-img_0507.jpg

weirdo
    Working 7 PM to 7 AM tonight and tomorrow. After 1.5 rotations of swing shift, staying up all night is going to take me a lot of coffee.

I have a VDO altimeter on The Mighty Schwinn that records cumulative elevation. I change batteries and zero my computeres on New Years, now at 103k ft on that bike, representing 71% of my YTD total mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r View Post
    I also fixed the loose spokes and got rid of the creak, but im not good at truing rims so I did throw it off slightly. No more creak though. Gonna take it to the LBS when I get paid next week to true it for me. If im lucky maybe hell do it for free, since its his old bike and all.

Why does editing erase all my returns and makes my post one block of text? I edit, save, post is one big block, then I have to edit and add all the returns again.
    Good going, making the atempt at tensioning/truing your wheel. Do you have another bike or wheel available? If so, read up on the process and give it another shot- it takes practice, but nothing magical about it. If you`re stuck without a bike in the mean time, that`s anothers story.

I dunno about losing the return spaces. Though I have other weird issues come and go, I haven`t run into that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    Recovery pic...
    Soup = good
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Today was the first day in along time I kinda wished I had a cycling computer on the bike for my ride home this am. 45*, skies were perfect baby blue with no clouds anywhere in any direction, the sun rising on my left (and just a little too bright), and the moon still very visible on my left, no traffic to speak of, me full of energy (couldn't tell you why). I just hammered it all the way home. I'm not sure if I was any faster than normal, but it felt like I was laying a strip of fire behind me. Reminded me of when I was a kid on my bmx, on my way home after a great day. Probably wasn't going as fast as I thought I was but it still felt killer. For that 55 minutes I was 12 again.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    ^^ It's good to be an adult. I can pretend I am a kid again any time I want. Especially when I am on two wheels.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post

I'm going to brag just a bit...I am well over 300,000 feet for the year. I really like to climb and am proud of that number.
    That's phenomenal. What's your mileage, just out of curiosity?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I broke a spoke coming home Thursday. So I bused into work Friday (I felt horrible putting my bike on the bus rack like that I did.) But I didn't want to risk it getting worse by riding it. I took it to the shop after work, they fixed it up fast. I rode home. It was a good ride. And then the ride in Saturday was good. It was however, SUPER foggy. It made the ride in extra fun, cuz I couldn't see very much around me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Re: How was your commute today?

Took another look at my rim after a good night worth of sleep and found the offending spoke that was throwing the wheel off. I guess I missed a loose spoke the morning I tightened them. It has thrown the centerline off a bit but at least the spokes arent creaking anymore from a lack of tension.
    When I get a proper wrench ill see about truing it back to center. Its nice and straight, I think maybe only a hairs off in one spot, but no brake rub or frame rub (which is really easy, im running 2.5in wide tires on a 95 stumpjumper)

Anyways, tonight is a little warmer, which isnt good or bad, since it was a little chilly last week. I need to dig out warmer clothes soon before it gets down into the 40s and 50s at night.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

I got lazy this morning. We had some friends over last night, and we stayed up until 1 conversing while I went over their beach cruisers and made them rideable again.

I hang my head in shame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

I got lazy this morning. We had some friends over last night, and we stayed up until 1 conversing while I went over their beach cruisers and made them rideable again.

I hang my head in shame.

The wai I see it, you should be able to take a day off since you spent the night making more bikes rideable lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Kudos to those quickly fixing broken spokes. I've been commuting on broken spokes (two) for the last three weeks. In my mind it might be a bit of test (with a lot of laziness) to find out if there are any true consequences to this. Always heard to immediately park a bike with broken spokes, etc. So far no difference in handling really.

Off for a dr. appt. today. Back to commuting tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I had a stripped spoke on a bent front tire with my last bike. It was a wally world bike and I was so close to dumping money into overhauling it and making it a proper bike, then it got stolen. The only bad thing I noticed was the really gnarly speed wobble it had abover 12mph when I let go of the bars.
    It also seemed to add more rolling resistance but I dont know if it was truly or not. I suppose over time the rim could warp since the tension is so far off, but im not really sure.

Im shocked how much a half hour makes in air temps out here. I got out at a bit past 7, its now 745 and it went from being "holy shit I need gloves" to "I dont want my hoodie on anymore"

Freakin desert. Besides that awesome weather.

mtbr member

I know when I kept blowing rear spokes before I upgraded to a stronger wheel set, it definitely had an effect on my rolling resistance. I wasn't able to coast but a small fraction as I should, and even in some of my easier gears, I was cranking harder than I should have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    See thats what im thinking too. Even though I went from a full suspenion wally bike to this rigid, rolling resistance shouldnt change if everything is lubed up properly. I have the same tires, and for most of the week, I ran this rigid at 40lbs, and it felt like it rolled better than my old bike at 60lbs. The old bike had rims so flimsy that I almost folded them in half when I put some weight on them to try and flex the wobble out. The rims I have now are a double walled rim and feel a lot stiffer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Strange temps today....Airport says 8C CBC down in the river valley says -3C....

Probably both are right....felt like -3C cause the ears got a bit nipped.

Some sort of inversion?

mtbr member
    A surprisingly lovely 12C/55F here this morning. Plenty dark though.

Moderator Moderator
    Brisker than we’ve seen recently, 32F at sunrise, and 34F when I left. Added the knee warmers and was quite comfy; for the ride home it should be in the 50’s, so I’ll be back to shorts for that. I have to run a couple errands at lunch, my friend has mice in her car and wants her mini Havahart trap back. I was having the mice lick the peanut butter off of regular traps somehow, but the Havahart works like a charm.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Brisker than we’ve seen recently, 32F at sunrise, and 34F when I left. Added the knee warmers and was quite comfy; for the ride home it should be in the 50’s, so I’ll be back to shorts for that. I have to run a couple errands at lunch, my friend has mice in her car and wants her mini Havahart trap back. I was having the mice lick the peanut butter off of regular traps somehow, but the Havahart works like a charm.

Tha is why we got a cat.

Bedwards Of The West
    Good ride this morning. Worst Monday at work in a looooong time. Really looking forward to the ride home. Sometimes I swear if I didn't ride to work I'd be a seriously horrible person to be around

mtbr member
    A fairly basic commute this AM. Not windy, so that was a plus. 41F, but it felt cooler than that for some reason.

Got my BB bearings changed over the weekend and the bike is running awesome now.

Also, found a link to my blog posted over at Fat-Bike.com. How cool's that?

I've made the big times now, boy-o! Guess I better step up the game with more pictures and fewer words... give the public what they want and all. Interwebz fame here I come.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Block, it was 33 on the East Side at 9am. Frost all over the grass, etc. I'd think it would feel cooler than 41 for sure. Your BB bearings sure didn't last long. Didn't you just get that raceface crankset?

Working from home today. I put in a 31 mile fatbike loop yesterday to make up for not commuting today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Good ride this morning. Worst Monday at work in a looooong time. Really looking forward to the ride home. Sometimes I swear if I didn't ride to work I'd be a seriously horrible person to be around
    Man I know what you mean. When I took the train to work for summer I was tired all night at work, and cranky all day after I got home to sleep.

Riding to and from works wakes me up for work, then burns out all that extra energy in the morning so I can sleep good at home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Block, it was 33 on the East Side at 9am. Frost all over the grass, etc. I'd think it would feel cooler than 41 for sure. Your BB bearings sure didn't last long. Didn't you just get that raceface crankset?

Working from home today. I put in a 31 mile fatbike loop yesterday to make up for not commuting today.
    I should have said it was 41 in the Valley before I left. I think it was definitely colder here in town.

Yeah, picked up the RF crankset back in March, I think. Lots of miles between then and now. It really seemed to go downhill when we started getting all the rain.

I'm bummed I'm not living in town anymore. I used to do the loop around town about once a month and remember crawling under the Seward bridges all winter before they started working on it. The link being complete is super exciting. I might just plan on heading home late on Friday and riding it after I get done working for the day.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Funny how its always warming in the valley. ;p

On friday, where would you start from? I might be able to find ya trail-side!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Also, found a link to my blog posted over at Fat-Bike.com. How cool's that?

I've made the big times now, boy-o! Guess I better step up the game with more pictures and fewer words... give the public what they want and all. Interwebz fame here I come.
    In case you weren't sure which blog on Fat-bike.com is blockphi's, this page looks/sounds familiar...
    Multimodal Alaska Adventures: Error has Turned Animals into Men...