Page 229 of 607 FirstFirst ... 129 179 219 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 239 279 329 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,725 of 15164
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    This global warming thing is complicated with record March tornados in the US, and now these spring storms in the Great White North. I have Irises budded and likely in flower for Easter! I prefer ice storms to tornados and neither if I have a choice.

Actually something interesting is happening....

The glaciers have been retreating around here since the last ice age...

But I have noticed two new sections of Neve (snow that has lasted through at least one summer) and we have a record quantity of snow this year that hasn't started melting out yet (also late).

I am betting that both new Neves will be larger than last year....Also I am betting that at least the top of the ice fields and glaciers are also increasing rather than decreasing for the last few years anyway...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am proud of myself. Not only did I get my bottom bracket out, I managed not to ruin my frame in the process. I used a little metal saw to cut two grooves in the bottom bracket, stopping just before I hit the threads. Then I used a hammer and a screwdriver to extract that middle section. Then I pried part of the bottom bracket up and was able to pull it out with a pair of pliers. I probably should have taken the bike to the LBS to get the threads chased, but this bike is kind of a beater and not worth the money. The threads were gunked up, but not in terrible condition. I cleaned them up and was able to get the bottom bracket back in. Everything should be good to go. I won't swap the components back over until I get the new chainring I ordered.

Moderator Moderator
    Great photos cuatro & newf - awfully wintry for April, though! Hang in there

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    haul kid haul kid haul kid
    wife today says "I'll take him!"
    hrmmm... maybe take the 56x16 geared gardin?
    gawd i love speed.
    oh, plus it's kind of purple with purple pedals and today's the wear purple for Rwanda day so there ya go, socially conscious at high velocity.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Actually something interesting is happening........Also I am betting that at least the top of the ice fields and glaciers are also increasing rather than decreasing for the last few years anyway...
    If the melting Greenland ice sheet shuts down the Gulf Stream conveyor, then an ice age may occur for lack of tropical heat transfusion into the northern hemisphere. Apparently the last ice age had similar CO2 levels. Someone suggested that ice ages start with more snow, later snow, and earlier snow. Not to worry. The Mayan calendar ends us anyway,,,

BrianMc

weirdo
    Snowed this afternoon. Maybe a little less than in Edmonton, but still enough to leave a wet skim on all the roads. AND I rode my folder to work (another in early day), no fenders yet. I would never imagine 20 inch slicks were capable of slinging so much water so far! The roads are now undoubtedly dry along my whole commute route because every drop of water that was formerly on them has since found its way to my ass. On the bright side, I`m almost finished with a small front rack for said Friday. In another month or so, I`ll do a hub/rim swap between my spare 26 inch dyno wheel and one of my 20 inch non-dyno front wheels, add a cheap round Lumotec that`s been in a box in my shed for ages, and I`ll have night vision for either of my two 20s. Whoo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    If the melting Greenland ice sheet shuts down the Gulf Stream conveyor, then an ice age may occur for lack of tropical heat transfusion into the northern hemisphere. Apparently the last ice age had similar CO2 levels. Someone suggested that ice ages start with more snow, later snow, and earlier snow. Not to worry. The Mayan calendar ends us anyway,,,

BrianMc
    The Mayan calendar didn't account for leap years so technically it's already sometime in 2013 according to them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    used clipless for the first time today, I fell over 3 times

weirdo
    Who had perfect bike commute records last year? One of you perfection attainers was cheering me on (though mine was already blown) towards the end of the year, and I thought it was Bedwards, but he says otherwise. Seems to me that it was one of the extra northern folks with a long RT.

Quote Originally Posted by carlflow View Post
    used clipless for the first time today, I fell over 3 times
    Three times? That`s about par for the course as far as first rides with clickies go .
    By the time I got it down pat I ended up going back to flats. Anyway, welcome. You`ll get the hang of it soon enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Almost hit a bicyclist riding the wrong way this afternoon with my work truck. Came out from between two parked vehicles -- barely missed him since I couldn't move to the side.

The wind was throwing me all over during the afternoon commute.

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Who had perfect bike commute records last year?
    I came close. The only times I didn't was when I was traveling for work and had to bring luggage, so I would take the train. I think I also missed a couple days with a calf muscle strain from playing innebandy (floor hockey).

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I`m curious too, and was waiting to see what the consensus was. How long do the rest of you get from a cassette? Is there a way to know visually or by measuring something that it`s time to change it, or do you just wait until it acts up?
    I got around 13K miles from my last cassette. Actually, the whole cassette was not worn out, just the cogs that I ride most. You can tell by looking at the teeth on the cogs, they will start to get a shark tooth shape. Signs of a worn cassette include chain skipping in high torque situations and generally crappy shifting, even with a new chain.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    No commuting for me this past week - my wife and I went to Asheville, NC for a little vacation time. After visiting the Biltmore Estate (which I will say was well worth the time), we rented bicycles and visited Dupont Forest for some fun riding:

We also went rented a couple of road bikes for a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The morning started off really beautiful as we climbed out of Asheville towards Mt. Mitchell. The riding was really nice...we agreed that we need to come back and do some loaded touring of the parkway.

We made it about 25 miles out of Asheville, climbing a little over 3000 feet in the process. We stopped at about 5500 feet in elevation and were enjoying a bite to eat, when we noticed nasty looking clouds coming in and started to hear the rumble of thunder.

At this point, we abandoned the idea of climbing higher and decided it was time to start back down the mountain. In hindsight, we should have sheltered in this tunnel for a while.

But not knowing what was coming, we decided to push on thinking that we could skirt the storm. Wrong! About five minutes after I took this photo, a thunder cell came right over the top of us and Mother Nature absolutely unleashed a full package of wind, hail, rain, lightening and thunder all over us. We pulled off the side of the road and huddled, wet and shivering, under a rock outcropping for about 30 minutes, waiting for the worst of the storm to move off. It was quite a show, and we felt very small.

We were still about 20 miles from our car at this point, at about 4500 feet and once the skies brightened a bit, we decided to make a dash for it. The rain was coming down at a steady pace but we blasted down the parkway because it was better than huddling under that rock with water dripping down our backs.

About five miles from the car, we had another cell come over, but there was no cover at this point, so we just pedaled like crazy. I was trailing my wife, normally somewhat of a timid descender, and I have never seen her push so hard on a downhill. We hit 45 MPH at one point - nothing like the clap of thunder to spur you on.

We made it back to our car safely, but wet, cold and strangely elated.

Back to my boring commute on monday...can't wait

weirdo
    You`re killing us, Woodway! That`s some awfully tasty looking riding. Again.
    Carolina slickrock? Who`da thunk? How did you find the parkway as far as traffic goes? Drier luck next time

Thanks for the cassette info. To tell the truth, HG-type sprockets look shark toothed to me even when they`re new.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I was thinking of taking the weekend off but those photo's are making me think it's time to pull the mountain bike back out.

13,000 on a cassette?! How often do you change your chain? Every 200 miles?

The wind wasn't as bad yesterday. A manageable 10mph

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I encountered a psycho driver on my way home yesterday. A car a ways in front of me was at a light in the right lane with a right blinker on. Then the driver started backing up with the wheel cranked to one side. The car overshot the left turn lane and was hanging out into the left lane. After some questionable driving skills covering every possible lane, the car finally settled in the left turn lane (right blinker still on). Then the light turned green, and the driver just started going, even though we didn't have a green arrow and there was oncoming traffic. Luckily, the oncoming car braked and the clueless driver went on without a care in the world.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    @bedwards - I change my chain around 2000 miles, give or take.

@rodar - We rode on thursday and the traffic was no problem at all. Long stretches with no cars coming by - it was very quiet. When the cars did come by, they gave us plenty of room. I cannot speak for other parts of the Parkway, but around Asheville the pavement was really good quality. It was a pretty pleasent ride (until the storm came).

weirdo
    I now have cargo capacity on my folder
    It`s a small front platform, modeled after one I`ve been using on my commuter for a couple years now, except that this one can be quickly removed and folded up. The extra clamp around my steering riser stays on the bike when the rack comes off. Packing size is 8 x 10.5 x ~5/8.

In other news, tomorrow is my birthday, and it`s supposed to be a nice day, so my wife consented to a tandem day wherever I want. Now, to figure out where that`s going to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

The Brutally Handsome
    Nice rack, and happy birtheaster!

weirdo

Wrong tool for the job!

We did have a nice day yesterday, but a lot of it was rough. Sand and tandems don`t get along very well, neither do tandems with trail obstacles designed to keep motorcycles out. We`ve had to wind through those narrow stock gate things where they force you into a tight U-turn, and those were bad enough, but yesterday`s trail had two places where we had to portage up and over a fence via ladder .

Today I got in about three hours worth of local single track for the first time in a few years. Good thing I like comedy! I forgot how much work true mtbing is, and I hurt all over, but had a lot of fun and will probably go back for more sometime soon. No pics from the tandem ride, but I couldn`t resist snapping a few of the new baby in action.

Thanks, Sizzler!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Moderator Moderator
    We did have a nice day yesterday, but a lot of it was rough. Sand and tandems don`t get along very well, neither do tandems with trail obstacles designed to keep motorcycles out. We`ve had to wind through those narrow stock gate things where they force you into a tight U-turn, and those were bad enough, but yesterday`s trail had two places where we had to portage up and over a fence via ladder .

Today I got in about three hours worth of local single track for the first time in a few years. Good thing I like comedy! I forgot how much work true mtbing is, and I hurt all over, but had a lot of fun and will probably go back for more sometime soon. No pics from the tandem ride, but I couldn`t resist snapping a few of the new baby in action.

Thanks, Sizzler!

Wow, good thing it was your birthday! Sounds "fun"

Next time you MTB on the folder, snap a pic of other riders' jaws dropping!

mtbr member
    That is awesome, rodar.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Sweet pics rodar, and happy b-day!

I got in one last ride on sunday before I was back to work today. My wife and I went with friends to the central part of Washington State, just over the Columbia River to ride an area called Ancient Lake. If you have never been to Washington State, the difference between West of the Cascade Range and East of the Cascade Range is quite interesting - to the west it's "the Evergreen State" and to the east is shrub-steppe grassland.

Ancient Lake is a series of Coulees and Potholes that were formed when flood waters scoured the land during the Missoula Floods thousands of years ago. Being a bit of a geology geek, I love coming over to this part of the state to gawk.

We rode about 19 miles and had a great time. The trails were starting to get get loose and sandy from lack of moisture. That, plus the heat and the rattlensnakes keeps up from riding this area much past the end of April. Quite a change from the cool, moist, rooty forest riding we do here in the Seattle area.

Imagine the amount of water required to scour out a coulee this size:

Water-filled potholes:

Fast, fun trails below:

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Had my first non-daylight saving commute today. The ride in was good because it's a bit lighter for now. The ride home got dusky so I'll be breaking out the night lights I think.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    If you have never been to Washington State, the difference between West of the Cascade Range and East of the Cascade Range is quite interesting - to the west it's "the Evergreen State" and to the east is shrub-steppe grassland.
    No, it doesn`t look very PNWish. Actually, it reminds me a lot of southern ID. Is the waterfall that stars in the second pothole pic also hiding in the pic just above it?