Page 228 of 631 FirstFirst ... 128 178 218 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 238 278 328 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 15770
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    Broke another spoke this week so I won't be hitting my first 100km week.

I'm going to take the wheel back to the shop and see if there's a warranty claim in it. Four spokes in 7 months is a bit off.
    I find once you break your first spoke its time to swap them all out, they are getting stretched to their limits. I true my rear wheel once a week to try and stay on top, nothing better than a tight wheel. There is more tension on the drive side so they usually break first.

Newfangled tomorrow should be a fun day ;-)
    My car has a Park

MTB, Road, Commuting

Sick of the wind

Sick of the wind

Sick-Of-The-Wind

My 12 mile commute has felt like 24 almost every day for weeks.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Sick of the wind

Sick-Of-The-Wind

My 12 mile commute has felt like 24 almost every day for weeks.
    Yeah, I hear you. The wind was at my back on the way to work which was nice, however it picked up to a breezy 30 km/h right at my face on the way home. It's funny being in the second easiest gear spinning my a$$ off while riding in the drops, only to do 22 km/h.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

weirdo
    I go in early today, while it`s still light out, so I get to choose a Daytime Only bike to ride . It`s going to be Dork Bike II, the folder, because I need to work a bit on fitting struts to the front rack- might have small cargo capacity by this weekend. In the mean time, I have to hold the front of the rack up with a length of clothesline.

Bedwards, your pictures sure make me feel like going out for a ride! And not a ride to work.
    Is that a Crosscheck? Oh, and if its any consolation, it`s been windy here for weeks also, and windy again right now. At least the mornings have often been wind free.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatroXcuatro View Post
    I find once you break your first spoke its time to swap them all out, they are getting stretched to their limits. I true my rear wheel once a week to try and stay on top, nothing better than a tight wheel. There is more tension on the drive side so they usually break first.
    Yup, the Specialized reps are getting the LBS to rebuild it under warranty

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    At work I snagged a SRAM 980 11-32 cassette on Chainlove for $41 shipped on impulse. Will this work in place of my Shimano Deore cassette?

It won't ship for few days. Should I keep it or have them cancel? I'm still on my first chain -- how long does a cassette last?

I have a Shimano LX/105 chain that I plan to install in the near future. Since I've put SRAM chains on Shimano drive trains before, I am guessing the cassette should be ok.
    I`m curious too, and was waiting to see what the consensus was. How long do the rest of you get from a cassette? Is there a way to know visually or by measuring something that it`s time to change it, or do you just wait until it acts up?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I`m curious too, and was waiting to see what the consensus was. How long do the rest of you get from a cassette? Is there a way to know visually or by measuring something that it`s time to change it, or do you just wait until it acts up?
    I haven't kept track mileage-wise, I just try to check the chain and if a new one doesn't work well despite adjustments etc. then you have to spend more money. I had to get everything but the big ring last year on the MTB, and you could also see the wear, hooked shark-toothiness and nubbins-ness . It was more pronounced on the chainrings, like you were concerned a tooth would break off, but some on the cassette too.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Old Method:
    Step 1: Ride chain until it is near failure
    Step 2: Replace chain
    Step 3: Ride the bike and find out that it is skipping all over the place
    Step 4: Order New cassette

New method. I bought a chain wear checker
    Step 1: Check chain and find it it time to replace
    Step 2: Procrastinate until step 1 above.

Roadar, yes, it's the new CC.

mtbr member
    After the 70's and 80's afternoon rides, this morning's 45 after dropping a vehicle off for service was refreshing. It was calm! I got so used to pushing headwinds, I did not realize how much the omnipresent wind circa 20+ mph was affecting my speed. I may also be getting healthier as I get the heavy metals out.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Kind of funny...on my way home yesterday, I hit my commuting human powered land-speed record and shortly after (about 0.5mi from the house) got a flat in the rear tire.

Moderator Moderator
    Back on the bike after a few days of yellow lab-sitting duty. We took some nice walks on the trails that are not open to bikes yet. I had one scare when he jumped (?) into the black lagoon, an old quarry with dark spooky water and steep sides. He hit the ice at the bottom and broke through it with a surprised look on his face, but was able to dogpaddle back to shore. I looked around the perimeter of the small quarry and said how the heck is he going to get out of there? But before I called the Fire Dept, he scrambled out on the first try up the same slope he went down. He was a bit stinky from the stagnant water but otherwisse OK.

!/4 snow overnight and temp about 25F. Took the MTB on the road route this morning.

mtbr member
    Well after over a year of living ridiculously close to where I work, I finally decided to begin commuting today. I used up every excuse in the book from "it's too cold" to "I don't want to get up earlier" and I found that none of them were valid excuses. It was about 43 degrees for my 1.2 mile ride (yes 1.2, not 12...) and took me 5 minutes. The air was so brisk and refreshing. I ended up getting to work a half hour early but I wanted to see how quickly I could make it in case I was running late someday. Next I plan on taking a detour and making the ride closer to 10 miles. Feel free to criticize me for not commuting sooner, I deserve it!
    Are you a Happy Mutant?

weirdo
    So, did you like it, MotoX? It gets to be addicting.

Close call, Xplorer! Glad SuperPup pulled it off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoX33 View Post
    Well after over a year of living ridiculously close to where I work, I finally decided to begin commuting today. I used up every excuse in the book from "it's too cold" to "I don't want to get up earlier" and I found that none of them were valid excuses. It was about 43 degrees for my 1.2 mile ride (yes 1.2, not 12...) and took me 5 minutes. The air was so brisk and refreshing. I ended up getting to work a half hour early but I wanted to see how quickly I could make it in case I was running late someday. Next I plan on taking a detour and making the ride closer to 10 miles. Feel free to criticize me for not commuting sooner, I deserve it!

When I first started commuting I had a three mile ride, then I moved and it was about four to five miles, now I am up to... wait for it... nine miles! (After another move) and I still basically follow the exact same route. But congrats on getting started and ride safe!

I broke a spoke on my ride home last night (The wheel was already pretty out of true) so I got to ride the SS 29er to work today. Pushing 36x16 gear with the big ass boat anchor Nevegels was lovely.

"I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    So, did you like it, MotoX? It gets to be addicting.

Close call, Xplorer! Glad SuperPup pulled it off.
    I loved it. My ride isn't scenic by any means since I just have to cut through a residential area to avoid the "busy" street. I live in a pretty small town but my clinic is on the main drag that goes to the high school so there are a lot of kids driving by in the morning. On days that it's nice and I get up early enough I'm going to do the bike path loop that is about 9 miles and goes around a little lake.
    Are you a Happy Mutant?

mtbr member
    No power for me this morning. No alarm, heat, plumbing, or elevator, so I might as well head in to work early.

A few blocks from home I bumped into a guy on a Mukluk who was trying to find a place that had power - so that he could get a coffee. He also warned me to watch out for the trees.

A few blocks later I hear a crack, and bang, and a scream. I turn around and a tree has fallen maybe 4' in front of a pedestrian, but she's okay. Saw a few more fallen/falling trees, and heard plenty of cracking.

The ride was pretty good, even though I was on my non-studded SS (which is why I normally am smart enough to not take the studs off until may ) But I'm looking out my window and it's not slowing down out there.

Moderator Moderator
    Yikes, newf, glad you (and the ped) made it. Those falling trees (and power lines) are scarey. Hope the excitement is over and the power comes back on before you have to ride home.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Doh! Not slowing down, or not snowing down? Looks to me like it`s definitely snowing to the left
    Good luck on the homebound trip.

mtbr member
    Looks to me like it`s definitely snowing to the left
    Midway across the bridge I did have to pull my mask up over my face, because the right side was getting sandblasted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Midway across the bridge I did have to pull my mask up over my face, because the right side was getting sandblasted.
    I hear ya, was worried about getting frostbite!
    By far my toughest ride of the year, had to push up the end of Keillor road, snow too deep and heavy, rear wheel was dragging while I pushed. The head wind was so bad when I left my house I contemplated turning around but then I thought newfangled is going to ride for sure
    Bike stands up on its own in this thick stuff. What a scenic day though, glad I didn't miss it.

image upload
    My car has a Park

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I hear ya, was worried about getting frostbite!
    By far my toughest ride of the year, had to push up the end of Keillor road, snow too deep and heavy, rear wheel was dragging while I pushed. The head wind was so bad when I left my house I contemplated turning around but then I thought newfangled is going to ride for sure
    Bike stands up on its own in this thick stuff. What a scenic day though, glad I didn't miss it.
    Edmonton gets it again...

It hit Calgary last night, and although it was supposed to be bad we only got 6 inches, and about 1 inch of pure ice on the roads....

Popped the studs back on and had an easy sunshiny ride in this morning...

mtbr member
    The head wind was so bad when I left my house I contemplated turning around but then I thought newfangled is going to ride for sure
    It was gorgeous out. And my ride is like 1/4 of yours (although I also have to ride to bikeworks tonight to volunteer)

mtbr member
    Newfang, cuatro,& Jeff. I swear it's not my fault! I did not take the snows off the cars until today.

This global warming thing is complicated with record March tornados in the US, and now these spring storms in the Great White North. I have Irises budded and likely in flower for Easter! I prefer ice storms to tornados and neither if I have a choice.

Possible frost tonight and tomorrow night may be our take on the blizzard.

Pretty pics, though.

Glad the pup wasn't much worse for the wash and wear, Mtbx. What springs to mind, is all's 'well' that ends 'well'. I suppose he just shook it off. Not part water spaniel? Anyway his exploration wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Sounds like a dog who let the quarry get the better of him.

Brian Mc

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Seeing all that snow makes me thankful I am in FL, even though by the time I made it to the office this morning I was drenched with sweat...
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    He was a bit stinky from the stagnant water but otherwisse OK.
    A stinky dog's usually a happy dog. (and an unhappy owner)

Wow snow! You guys can have it.

s0ckeyeus, our bottom brackets should talk. I just noticed last night that mine was backing out all on it's own. I've got to pull the cranks and hope I have the right BB tool for that bike.