Page 228 of 236 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232 ... LastLast
Results 22,701 to 22,800 of 23583
    CB of the East
    Fatbike through the trails. Man that was tough. We were supposed to get a dusting but got 3" of powder. That on top of 1" Friday & 1" Sunday really buried the marginal tracks I was riding last week. Not t mention that my fatbike seems to be consuming about 80 extra watts of power for no reason. New wheel bearings should be in my mailbox!!!

I unscrewed my valve stem to lower the pressure for the super soft conditions and the whole core came out and blew into the powder. Crap! I managed to find it.

At least I got to see a nice sunrise out in the trails.
    How was your commute today?-20171219_070207e.jpg

mtbr member
    Lucky you bedwards. So, do you carry a pump as well to put some pressure back on when you leave the trails? Or ride on soft tires until you get back home?

I know lezyne has pumps that you can screw on the valve and have a pressure release button to let air off. Maybe that would be a solution for you?

And let us know how your low temp grease works out. I myself dont have the opportunity, the rohloff already is running on winter oil alp year and the.front dynamohub can not be serviced, or at least is not made to be serviced like normal axle bearings.

Eugene are you ok again?

CB of the East
    I carry a pump and I own one of those lezyne pumps that I have to rotate back into my pack now that I am riding mostly low pressure. I definitely needed the pump after the valve core incident. Normally I can't be bothered to stop and add pressure when I exit the trails unless it is really low. I just grunted along at 10MPH today until I got to work.

My sealed axle bearings aren't made to be serviced but I'm going to give it a shot. I'll pry the caps off the old ones and see if I can wash whatever is in there out. If I ruin them I bought an extra set. The old ones feel smooth but stiff. Who knows, maybe they are just installed too tight and when they get cold the tolerances shrink.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Eugene are you ok again?
    All fine just was sick a bit, I guess that's what you mean?

Supposed to drop to at least freezing in the coming 2-3 days, I'll ride to work tomorrow, then enjoy a few days off work and hit the mtb trails all weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Moderator Moderator
    Ok already a few days old but the pics are nice!! And I hope the dog is allright now MTBX?
    It's looking like a few teeth will have to come out, they are still bothering him despite the painkiller. Overall he is in good spirits, but it is very sad to see him unable to even hold a frisbee (a favorite thing) or eat a greenie bone. Thanks!

Great pic bedwards! We got an unexpected amount of snow yesterday too, which chnged to rain at lower elevations. I was not unhappy that a friend haad asked for a car ride.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Wow, bedwards, between the low temps, sticky bearings and wayward valve stems you have having some great times! I also occasionally have those valve cores come out on me. I had one for a while that would come loose when I unscrewed the plastic dust cap - no matter how hard I tightened it down. Finally swapped out that tube.

I have serviced "sealed" bearing on my mountain bikes after really wet/muddy winter rides and found them packed with grit that made it past the seals. As long as you are careful with the seals, should be no problem.

dutchman, hope your cold is getting better.

MTBX, I feel bad for your pup. What a crappy experience for him. Hope he is better soon.

We are back to rain and mid-30's to mid-40's here. I got absolutely poured on yesterday. today was just some light drizzle.

mtbr member
    Hi woodway, yes i am better but probably in the bus tomorrow, but plan to ride friday.

Mtbx, hope the dog gets well soon. must be quite a trauma.for him when I read correctly. My parents also always had a dog with which we had some accidents so I know what its like..basically as with a relative..

Bedwards: good luck with those bearings.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for the kind words for the pup, luckily they live in the moment, and he does not seem traumatized by those terrible moments in the trap.

I've been off the bike this week, hope to be back to it after Xmas travels.

CB of the East
    Thanks, Everything is ready to install and just waiting for the time to do it. Tis the season to be busy. I did order 2 new ceramic ones for the rear which I stuck in the freezer as soon as I got them. They spin when cold just fine.

Today was my first lake crossing of the year. Coincidentally(?) it is also the first day of winter. The lake was good but the trails on that side hadn't been packed so I just took the roads. I'd pumped up the tires real good on the fatbike and it wasn't that cold (15F, funny how that changed to the warm temperature) so the bike was rolling OK.

Happy Yule everybody.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    25F and clear this morning. I was on black ice patrol but only saw one small patch.

Happy Solstice everyone...tomorrow will be longer than today!

I'm curious how much daylight all of you have where you live today? Here in the Seattle area, we get 8 hours, 25 minutes and 30 seconds (time between sunrise and sunset). Tomorrow will be four seconds longer!

You can easily lookup your location here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/

CB of the East
    We have way longer days than you. But tomorrow will only be 2 seconds longer.
    21 7:13 am ↑ (123) 4:07 pm ↑ (237) 8:54:20
    But it doesn't seem that long. Maybe because I am at work all of those hours. Even though the day is getting longer the sunrise is still getting later until Jan 6 so my effective time out in the light is still getting shorter.

CB of the East
    That is a pretty cool site. I was just playing around with it a little more and realized that at "High Noon" toady the sun is at a whopping 23 degrees.

mtbr member
    9:23:40 and 2 seconds longer tomorrow here. Where I was born and lived until 1980 it is 8:59:40 and 3 seconds longer tomorrow, and where I lived for two years and my wife was born and raised, 8:42:56 and two seconds longer the next day. The extra 20 minutes either end of the day are quite noticeable when we visited her folks at Christmas.

mtbr member
    Hi Folks, thought I'd pop in and say hi, this is my last working day for this year. I wish you all a very merry xmas and a happy new year. See you in 2018
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Yeah, Maine seems so far North until you look at the map and realize that Seattle is even further north!

I'll remind you of that at the Summer Solstice when we are enjoying longer days!

(when Duthchman shows up, he'll put us both to shame...)

Merry Christmas to you slipspace!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    when Dutchman shows up, he'll put us both to shame...
    Tadaa and here I am but not putting to shame anyone, why should I?

Wait until Blockphi chimes in

That is a cool site. I also checked that map and Hamburg is around the same height above the equator as the Hudson Bay southern shore! So we have only 7h:27m:38sof daylight today and 2!! seconds more tomorrow. But still !!going in the right direction!! And I am surprised that I am so far up north, probably because it is not that cold here. Around 8C here and staying above freezing for the next week. So a "white Christmas" is seldom here. And that is because we are in the warm gulfstream that is coming up along Great Britain, then cooling down and turning left around Iceland and going back cold along the Canadian and US Coast. Never looked closer at that kind of thing until now. So this commuter forum is also good for general knowledge and education

No commutes this year anymore. Bus tomorrow and then break until January 4. Driving over to the Netherlands after Christmas for a week, maybe I will ride around on my mom's e-bike. They build some nice new bicycle paths along the north sea that I would like to try out.

Slipspace: Nice to hear from you. Wish you and all merry christmas and a prosperous new year (with lots of biking time!).

mtbr member
    PS A nice pic of the world ocean currents is here:

http://www.esys.org/wetter/golfstrom...n(wiki)-hq.jpg

CB of the East
    Yeah, Maine seems so far North until you look at the map and realize that Seattle is even further north!
    I think the difference is that even though Maine is a little further south it doesn't have the wind that generally blows somewhat West to East blowing "warm" ocean air into it. Same argument for Hamburg.

We are all set for a white Christmas with snow tomorrow, freezing rain on Saturday and snow on Christmas day.

Wait until Blockphi chimes in
    I almost chimed in for him since he never posts here anymore. OK, I will
    10:14 am ↑ (143) 3:41 pm ↑ (217) 5:27:50

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I almost chimed in for him since he never posts here anymore. OK, I will
    10:14 am ↑ (143) 3:41 pm ↑ (217) 5:27:50
    Blockphi for the win!

I'm riding again tomorrow and may work one day next week and will most likely ride.

I hope you all enjoy your holiday and look forward to all the fun we will have here in 2018

Moderator Moderator
    21 7:13 am ↑ (123) 4:07 pm ↑ (237) 8:54:20
    But it doesn't seem that long. Maybe because I am at work all of those hours. Even though the day is getting longer the sunrise is still getting later until Jan 6 so my effective time out in the light is still getting shorter.
    I hate that lag of sunrise time as the days get longer. It looks like our sunrise does not get any earlier until Jan 10. Dayight in Montpelier VT is 8hrs 51 minutes.

We have a winter storm warning through Saturday, it doesn't look good for traveling. I may enjoy a white Christmas at home. Have a safe and happy holiday bikecommuters!

CB of the East
    I took the lake route today. It may be my last chance since we are due to be buried under some kind of snow/ice/sleet/grapuel and maybe even ooblek over the next few days. Hopefully it there will be enough on the ground to get the snowmobiles interested so they get out and pack it down. So far it is just too deep bike but not deep enough to sled. About 6"

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ooblek: Had to look that one up. Nice one bedwards.

Hope you and MTBX stay safe in the coming storm.

37F and rain this morning. Not a heavy downpour but that thick soaking rain that seems to displace all the air.

I'm planning to leave work early today and take the long way home: The State Department of Transportation opened a new ped/bike path over the SR520 bridge on Tuesday. The SR520 bridge happens to be the longest floating bridge in the world and the opening of the path has long been anticipated in the Seattle area. So I am going to ride out over the new SR520 bridge and then back over the I-90 floating bridge (the second longest floating bridge in the world).

https://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2017/...mmunities.html

Merry Christmas everyone!

CB of the East
    woodway, maybe we need a picture of the longest floating bike path in the world. you know, when you get a chance.

Hellooooo.... Everybody must be on vacation.

Not me. I skipped the ride yesterday because Christmas was a long day of everything including a snow storm and things were still getting cleaned up yesterday morning. I finally got back on the bike this morning, the first time since Friday. And damn it was cold. I took the lake route and had high hopes for the trails but they were too soft to be any fun at all.

I did re-pack my rear hub with some low temp grease and it was rolling really well until I deflated the tires to attempt the trails. The lower pressure really slows it down on the road. I was only a few miles from work by then so I just grunted through it. No way I was going to stop longer to re-inflate at zero degrees.

mtbr member
    It was 11F on the way in with a decent amount of wind. It felt pretty cold out there. I need to get used to it fast because it's going to get colder the next few days.

CB of the East
    That was about as cold as I need it to be. -5F to -15F depending on which thermometer you happen to be looking at. My wife said it the car was reading -15F when she pulled into work.

Speaking of my wife, she really liked the carbon fatbike I got her for Christmas. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/dude/dude-cf-8-0-us. It is an impressive bike for the price and weighed in at under 25lbs.

This was the first day I took the snowmobile trails. They were passable but not really that fun. The snow is powder that is too cold to pack.

mtbr member
    Thats impressive bedwards. Both on temp and bike!! That canyon bike looks good aond its probably partly made in germany.

As far as I know canyon could always be very competitive on the price because they only sell via the internet and in the concept store in southern germany which is basically a showroom in the corner of the factory. Everything is bought in asia and assembled in germany. At least in the beginning those guys must have been very visionary, otherwise they couldnt have registered the address canyon.com

And my wifes first mtb was a canyon too

So good luck with the bike and let us know how she thinks about it after a few rides!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    woodway, maybe we need a picture of the longest floating bike path in the world. you know, when you get a chance.
    Well I did not stop to take any pictures, but I found one on the interwebs that was taken a couple days before I rode. It was a good ride.

520 Trail: Capitol Hill Eastside commuters can now walk, skate, and bike to work | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-520pedestrianpathopening-49.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sydney has started already, we are now in the afternoon and although others are still in bed,

I'll say it first: HAPPY HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR fellow commuters and loved ones. Free your mind and your legs will follow

I am looking forward to another year of commuting!

I'm #87!
    Free your mind and your legs will follow
    That should be a sign in every bike store. It is so true. Happy New Year cyclingdutchman!
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Happy New Year everybody. Great phrase Dutchman! Sweet ride for Missus Bedwards, that looks good.

First ride of the year for me and first commute in ages. I have gotten so fat!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Too darn cold for me today. -2 in Columbus Ohio....Crap

36mile round trip commute.

Last week rode 4 days
    12deg
    2deg
    4deg
    14deg

I give - bring back global warming!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Too darn cold for me today ! -2 deg here in Columbus, Ohio...

Rode 4 days last week ( 36m round trip )

12deg
    2deg
    4deg
    14deg

I'm bagging it today...no way my toes would make it.

I want global warming back!

mtbr member
    Coldest commute of the year! I guess since it was also my first commute of the year, that doesn't necessarily mean much. But it was 1F.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Happy New Year everyone.

First ride of 2018 in the books - 29F, clear and I was on ice patrol but luckily the roads were in good shape.

Bedwards, nice bike, you are a good husband

I'm looking forward to 2018 too, Dutchman!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Coldest commute of the year! I guess since it was also my first commute of the year, that doesn't necessarily mean much. But it was 1F.
    Mad props to you for riding in those temps, s0ck...

CB of the East
    Well I did not stop to take any pictures, but I found one on the interwebs that was taken a couple days before I rode. It was a good ride.
    Good enough.
    Happy New Year everyone.

First ride of 2018 in the books - 29F, clear and I was on ice patrol but luckily the roads were in good shape.

Bedwards, nice bike, you are a good husband

I'm looking forward to 2018 too, Dutchman!
    Yes, happy new year. woodway, if you adjust your temperature report to remove the space between the "-" and the "29" that is about what it is here (-22F actually). I threw the bike in the car and carpooled in. I'll ride home when it has warmed up to a nice enjoyable 6F.

Thanks for the props on the bike. If anybody is in the market for a fatbike I think this is the best deal out there. She's got a few rides in and loves it. We already sold her old Framed Minnesota 2.0 and maintained n+0 bikes. Between us we only have 20.

My Year End Review: The Candid Cyclist: 2017 Year End Review

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Yes, happy new year. woodway, if you adjust your temperature report to remove the space between the "-" and the "29" that is about what it is here (-22F actually). I threw the bike in the car and carpooled in. I'll ride home when it has warmed up to a nice enjoyable 6F.
    Wow. I rode in at 15F once and thought I was going to die. You guys who ride in single digits and below are badasses!

Nice write-up and a good year. I especially liked the fatbike race report, and I can understand why the X-country guys beat you to the top...but you did not catch the snowshoe'rs? Did they just start too far in front?

CB of the East
    Only an handful of snowshoe'rs beat me to the top. Most were behind.RESULTS

OK, almost time to hit the trail. It's 8F out. I'm sad that I'm excited that it will feel warm.

mtbr member
    Damn, you guys get some cold!

You've had a good year Bedwards, interesting reading.

Windy this morning. Maybe about 6C or so but the wind was at about 45+ mph apparently. ranged from cross to head on. First 3 miles were ok, I was in the burbs so lots to disrupt the wind. Next 2 miles were gusty but the verges, hedges and trees are high. Last 5 were really hard. Mostly flat open fields. Thankfully the farmer considers the wildlife so there are some hedges. Definitely a day to make sure my pedalling was efficient, pedal all the way around, quads, calfs and hamstrings. Wind will drop by home time but I could probably just coast home if i left now.

mtbr member
    Riding in the cold sucks worse after doing strength training the night before. Riding a singlespeed makes it even more fun. It was a bit warmer this morning, but still a chilly 5F. We might actually get near freezing this afternoon.

CB of the East
    Slip, those winds sounds brutal! Can you even ride in a 45MPH crosswind? We're supposed to get up to 65MPH gusts in tomorrow's blizzard.

I'm getting used to these cold temps. By the time I got home last night it was 0F and this morning's ride ranged from 0F-8F and was pretty comfortable. There's no way I'd want to do it on a single speed. I use that low gear baby! The trails are getting pretty good. Too bad it will all be buried by Friday.
    How was your commute today?-img_20180103_074430_396.jpg

mtbr member
    the wind speed was only from the forecast so who knows really but I was sitting at a funny angle. One stretch had the nose of the seat hitting the back of my thigh where I was out of the saddle leaning into the wind... It has calmed down a lot out there thankfully.

It's just clicked in my brain again that you guys are talking about near or sub zero Fahrenheit temps, so around Minus 20 centigrade or so!! That would be some record low around my way that's for sure.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Wow, 45MPH crosswind, hard to ride in a straight line.

29F and clear here. Ice Patrol. I thought it was cold but bedwards probably would have been riding in shorts and no shirt.

^^ Nice pic!

Moderator Moderator
    It's been too cold for me to be interested in riding, record lows and record extended cold snap here in VT. Tomorrow 5-6" snow plus 35mph wind, so that is a no go. Then back to the deep freeze, HIGHS Saturday
    5 to 12 below (zero F). I get some exercise snowshoeing with the dog every morning.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    It's just clicked in my brain again that you guys are talking about near or sub zero Fahrenheit temps, so around Minus 20 centigrade or so!! That would be some record low around my way that's for sure.
    LOL, yeah. Let me put it another way. It was -30C here the other morning. It is amazing what you get use to. It was 3F when I got home last night and I thought it was still warm out. It was 8F when I left this morning and I was super overheated when I got to work.

MTXB, we're got the same forecast with a little more snow, a lot more wind but the high will be 1F on Saturday. I think it will be an inside kind of day. We try to get the dogs out on the weekends but it will be too cold for them.

I test rode my wife's new fatbike in today. Nice bike but too small for me. Carpooling home mid-blizzard.

CB of the East
    Speaking of the weather. Here is my favorite forecaster. MTBX, Vermont gets a special mention on this storm.

This is NOT safe for work, kids strictly religious or anybody else that is likely to be offended. But OMG is it funny. It also pretty accurately describes the weather we have had lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y784K9AXlks

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^Noreasta - is that how you pronounce it back there? Love it.

Stay safe and warm bedwards and MTBX!

Warmer today, 37F when I left the house. Partly cloudy, no wind. Pretty nice riding conditions. bedwards you would have been riding in shorts and no shirt for sure

mtbr member
    M.I.L. has a balmy -22 F feeling like -41 now. Was -31 F Jan 2. I lived there 2 years which may explain brain issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzK46eXTYq0

mtbr member
    Nice forecast We would not be prepared for that!

-30C that's gotta be arctic weather. I'd quite like to experience it, but not here, the general populace goes into doomsday prepper mode if there's a couple of inches of snow, or the shops are closed for the holidays tbh.

Stay safe folks.

Drizzle on the way in this morning. Pulled a muscle in my neck somehow, ride home might be interesting not being able to shoulder check.

mtbr member
    Every morning commute this week will have been single digits. We haven't hit the freezing mark in like 10 days, which is extremely rare around here. Next week is looking to be much warmer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My first blizzard commute, and it was awesome!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

searchin for Animal Chin
    ^^ nice Classy!

Hope you guys in the NE stay warm, def some crazy stuff going on out there. I can't believe you're still riding, big balls and big ovaries! Or frozen ones anyway haha!

Commutes are over this week for me, have to take the Jeep in for a collision estimate tomorrow, someone put a big ole bash in it last weekend while I was parked at the trailhead.

Weather just fine here.

mtbr member
    ^^ looks like fun Classy!

By the time I left last night the wind had picked up again, mid 40s mph again, I was not expecting that! Fortunately for my neck it was more or less coming in from a 120deg arc from my rear. Considering my lack of mobility and complete lack of form I really had no business being able to go fast enough to spin the SS at the high RPMs i felt I was managing, but I'll take it.

Rough night last night due to neck pain so drove this morning. It's much improved though.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice pic Classy! Enjoyed the forecast Bedwards. Hoping the neck continues to improve SlipSpace. Wicked wind is drifting the snow terrible today. The official snow totals are unimpressive, but the wind puts it everywhere you don't want it and packs it really dense. Windchill warning through Saturday. Next week looks better, supposed to hit the 20'sF.

CB of the East
    ^^Noreasta - is that how you pronounce it back there? Love it.
    Well, that's not how I pronounce it unless I am Meanin t' talk like a Mainah. There are others though (and I'm related to some of them) that sound like that all the time. I'm surprised that some people that don't have English as a first language could under stand some of it. Although if you can make out one word that starts with F you could get half of what he said in that video.

Classy, Fun color combination with those On-One floaters. Although those riding conditions look like they are approaching really really slow to stopped especially going up hills. Awesome might be a stretch.

The storm's come and gone. I couldn't ride today because the trails are buried as is the view from my office window.
    How was your commute today?-20180105_090110.jpg

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quite a view bedwards!

Nice pic Classy!

Slip, hope the neck heals fast.

It was a balmy 45F and raining when I left the house this morning. Uneventful ride to work.

Have a good weekend everyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wind chill was at -11F (40mph winds today) when I woke up, so I pulled up the covers and went back to sleep. Working from home isn't helping with my overall bike miles at all...

mtbr member
    Heya!

Forster, Slipspace, thanks for the credits on my remark how to expand your mind. Actually, its rule #6

You guys in northeast of the USA and Canada have quite something to endure currently. Those temps are really horrible and it seems no end in sight yet? Fatbiking not possible Bedwards Can imagine people not being able/wanting to ride there currently...

First commute in 4 weeks for me today. Long time ago since was off the bike for so long. My severe cold lasted two weeks in December in the end, then was Christmas break and yesterday I took the bus because of the wind and a birthday cake I had to take along to the office for my collegues.

So the rides were good. Dry, nice tailwind on the way in and the wind calmed down so I didnt need to push it too hard on the ride home.

CB of the East
    formula4speed, sounds like a good plan.
    You guys in northeast of the USA and Canada have quite something to endure currently. Those temps are really horrible and it seems no end in sight yet? Fatbiking not possible Bedwards Can imagine people not being able/wanting to ride there currently...
    The end is in sight but it falls after this weekend. Fatbiking isn't possible until the trails get packed. With the amount of snow we got there should be plenty of snowmobile activity over the weekend (if the cold does't keep them inside) and the trails should be good to go on Monday. By then we should be back to normal winter temps with lows in the toasty single digits and highs in the 20s.

I've never heard the birthday cake excuse before. Maybe I'll use that one on Monday. Nah, I'll ask my wife to bring it in.

Happy Friday!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone is well. Been absent from the commutes due to the weather. It has been just too cold here to ride for me. We got at least 8" of snow almost 2 weeks ago, and it is still covering some side streets, MUP, my complex parking lot etc. Temps have been in the single digits for the high now for almost as long. Windchills are consistently in the negative. Last night when I drove home from work, my car said -8F as the actual temp. Windchill put it at -14F and it was very windy. There is a break coming starting Sunday where we will see some temps in the 30's and maybe even 40!

Meeting a guy Saturday to buy a used indoor trainer because I feel like a sloth because there are no miles being put on any bike. Set a goal of 5000 miles again this year, and damnit, this is gonna happen!
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gave myself a destination this morning, wanted to ride to a bridge over a river to see if the river has frozen over because I've never seen it freeze. 17F temps, unknown conditions for riding with the snow and cold so I grabbed the fat bike (right choice). Conditions were mixed, the MUP was actually mostly cleared, but the last 2 miles or so were a few inches of snow that were chunky from being walked on and frozen over.

Made it to the bridge, water was 90% frozen over and it was beautiful in the morning light. Should have packed a camera. Still it was nice to just enjoy it for a few moments before turning around.

CB of the East
    How was my commute? Slow. The trails have had some traffic but it's been so cold that it doesn't pack hard. And the lake was even worse. Most snowmobiles take different tracks across the lake so none get very packed. There was some walking. In the end I left home at 6:30 and got to work a little past 8:00 after a heck of a workout. Average speed: 6.0MPH. On a positive note we are headed to a stretch much warmer weather. Too warm actually. Thursday through Friday will be well above freezing and the trails will be too soft for another reason. Oh well.

mtbr member
    30s and raining = no bike commute for me. My sister was in town and borrowing the car last week, but she flew out yesterday, meaning I had a car to drive and avoid the nasty weather. Even though it's above freezin, some of the rain is freezing on the roads due to below-freezing pavement temps. It's kind of weird, really. I'm willing to brave single digits, but cold rain is miserable.

mtbr member
    It was, hm, let me say "refreshing" here this morning: -6C. Not exactly cold as you guys have had it. And it was beautiful. FINALLY no clouds and almost no wind. Ride home was around 0C but a nasty wind picked up, so it felt worse in the end.

Higher up in this thread, somebody wanted global warming back. So I read an interesting article today in which it was explained, that global warming changes global wind patterns, which leads to more arctic air being blown to the northeast of the north american continent. So the local climate there gets the opposite of warming: it is expected that such periods of extreme cold will occur often as global warming continues.

I wrote this as an explanation not as a political statement or judgement or whatever. People can decide for themselves if they believe it or not anyway

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    30s and raining = no bike commute for me. My sister was in town and borrowing the car last week, but she flew out yesterday, meaning I had a car to drive and avoid the nasty weather. Even though it's above freezin, some of the rain is freezing on the roads due to below-freezing pavement temps. It's kind of weird, really. I'm willing to brave single digits, but cold rain is miserable.
    No weird at all. Cold rain soaks through and makes you much colder than snow! I'll ride in 30F snow any day over 35F rain.

Yes dutchman, it's pretty obvious to everybody (but our "Genius" president) that we have had more Arctic Vortex weather patterns which pull the cold air down from the poles in the past few years.

mtbr member
    No weird at all. Cold rain soaks through and makes you much colder than snow! I'll ride in 30F snow any day over 35F rain.
    To clarify, the weird part was the way the pavement/ground cause the rain to freeze, not the outdoor temps like with traditional freezing rain. I agree though that rain in the 30s is one the most miserable conditions.

CB of the East
    ^^Oh, that is just weird weather stuff. We had the ice storm of 1998 exactly 20 years ago. The temp stayed below freezing but it just kept raining. The ice just kept getting thicker and thicker.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Januar...ican_ice_storm

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hey riding in 30 degree rain is the majority of my commutes this time of year

The three best things you can do for 30's and rain:

1. Invest in a really good rain jacket and shoe covers (gloves are gonna get wet no matter what, so always carry an extra pair for the ride home).

2. Don't over dress.

3. Keep moving.

I worked from my place in central washington today (long weekend basically). Will be riding tomorrow morning in 30's and rain

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today was the first day we have had above freezing in 23 days. We got freezing sleet last night followed by another 1-2" of snow. Still no commutes for the year yet. Did do a trainer ride on Sunday and Monday to get my legs going again. I never believed anyone when they said they would sweat on a trainer. It was a 55 minute training ride on YouTube from a group in Australia. It was 35F and sunny outside. Opened the window, put the fan on high aimed right at the bike, and let the room cool down. Wore clip in shoes, socks, gloves, and bibs with no jersey. Figured I would see what this is all about. At the end of the ride, the puddle of sweat on the mat below the bike was impressive. Felt like I was sweating more on that ride than a mid summer ride in the 90's. Absolutely shocked at how hard it was to do that long of a trainer ride.

The trainer I bought is kind of a crappy one, used from Facebook. It is a fluid trainer at least, but a lot of the comments on YouTube videos complain of the whole thing feeling like it leans to the left. Mine is no exception. The fact that it is on a mat, and then on top of carpet probably doesn't help. Will look into some sort of shim possibly, and check the feet to see if there an adjustment to make.

Sorry for the lack of commute talk.

mtbr member
    Rain freezing as it hits the ground

cold rain definitely sucks. We've been quite well above freezing here in the UK, well my bit certainly. relatively dry at commute times but there is still a lot of water around, the ground is pretty water logged. No commute yesterday, school run, but on today. Dark and gloomy but otherwise pleasant enough. I've now done more miles this year already, 70, than I managed in the last 6 weeks of 2017 I reckon, maybe longer than that.

Hope to keep it up and see my belly reduce.

I'm #87!
    39F and no wind today but I'm stuck driving. On the other hand, tomorrow with freezing rain predicted in the afternoon I'm probably riding. That's the breaks I guess.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    38F and rain today. Pretty uneventful commute. Hoping you east coasters get some relief this week. For those in Florida, Don't pick up the Frozen Iguanas...

mtbr member
    Long time, no post. Been biking, but not as often as usual and it's a bit of a saga, but I'll provide the Cliff's notes version here:

In January or February of 17 I injured my left knee while running and feel into the cycle of rest it, let it heal up a bit, and then go out and injure it again. Dealt with that through August when I went for a ride on the road bike. One of those rides where I went out in a bad mood and angry having just argued with the wife - so it was supposed to be a brief ride just to cool off, but ended up going much longer than planned. While riding a hairy stretch in town I had to crank down super hard to avoid being plowed over by a jacked up, black smoke spewing truck and felt it pop again. By this time I was 12.5 miles from my house. I could have called for a ride, but...

So - I get home and the knee is swollen up quite a bit. I rest it until the first week of September and the swelling doesn't go down at all. I get in to the ortho just after Labor day and they tell me to keep resting and icing and we get an MRI ordered.

By this time it is mid September and the MRI shows two potential meniscus tears.

We schedule surgery, which I have on October 16. Lateral and medial tears - really more like shredded. Also, the bone surface had to be smoothed out as the layer of cartilage there was torn and bunched as well.

So, that takes us to November when I'm able to get back on the trainer and ride indoors. That goes well so I do some outside riding.

December I do two bike commutes. Nothing to write about. Today is my first day back after a long Christmas break of lots of riding both indoors and out and...

It SUCKED!

15 degrees at my house with winds from the east at 23mph gusting to 39.

On the downhill section towards the bus stop, wind at my back, brakes applied to keep me from going too fast on the icy multiuse path, I hit a drift that was much deeper than it appeared and went down. Hard. On my left knee.

Get to town and it's not bad. 8 degrees F. No wind. The knee is a bit stiff, but not too bad. In fact, I really didn't even think about it. Until I got to the office and tried to walk from the bike rack to my office and... no bueno. It's nicely swollen and stiff and sore.

I kinda knew I shouldn't have ridden today because it was a bit stiff to begin with, but thought it would help it to get some miles in. And it probably would have if I hadn't of crashed.

Anyway. I'm back? Maybe. We'll see. Lord knows I need to re-lose the weight I gained during the time off the bike

mtbr member
    Whoa Blockphi good to hear from you but bad news....all the best for you!!

Woodways description of the weather sums it up for me too. Hardshell clothing almost always needs to be at hand. I have GoreTex gloves which are waterproof but I dont really like those. I also have waterproof Mitts but those are unpractible too - too long and too wide cuffs. So mostly I ride with my windstopper gloves and when they get wet, I dry them on the heating at work ( I wash them regularly too ).
    I am also often wearing Gore Windstopper clothing (mostly old, got it cheap) which works pretty well in light rain, because:

I started an experiment by putting new water repellent on 2 of my jackets on October 1. Now is 3 months later and the effect has gone down a bit but it still works very well and I would call it a success. It keeps off light rain / drizzle for a while. Not for hours, but for my 35min. commute it works.

Oh yeah the rides. Just above freezing with a nasty cold eastern wind of around 20mph.

Mental note to myself: Lock bike when arriving at work. I kneeled down at my rear wheel this afternoon with the key in my hand and wondered my lock wasnt there. Found it in my bag that stood next to my desk all day....

Moderator Moderator
    Hi blockphi, thanks for the report, but sorry to hear about the troubles. The temps were fine today, but the snow squalls were rough, making the roads a mess quickly - and I was driving (trying to kill this cough). Offered a ride to the bikecommuter I know. He declined and as I crept down the hill I think he was better off. Tonight at home my snowshoe trails are all drifted in (invisible), which makes walking the dog pretty comical. Choose wisely, and your boot hits the packed trail after a couple inches; miss the trail and you suddenly sink in several feet while the dog simultaneously pulls the leash.

Here is a nice coyote from my trailcam in the -9F
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-coyotejan2018.jpg  

CB of the East
    Welcome back blockphi! Sorry about he "mechanical difficulties. "

^^Whoa that's a big looking coyote! Pretty one too.

No bike commute for me to day. Last night was a 1:40 sufferfest through soft snow and a deep windblown lake. I really didn't have the will to do it again today. Too many rides like that and I might not like biking any more. Recharging...

trail gnome
    That's a big coyote. Perhaps a coywolf?
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    I hit the pavement pretty hard yesterday. Leaving the office, there's a roundabout that has recently been sealed. The pavement was wet and apparently slicker than I thought (or I possibly hit an oily patch). As I turned on to the roundabout, my rear wheel swung around and both tires slid out sideways. I caught my keys that were in my pocket right on my hip. Both elbows are scraped up and bruised as well as the inside of one knee and my ankle on the other leg. My bike slid another 4 feet or so, but the chain tensioner didn't appear to take any impact. After I took a moment to compose myself again, I started back home again.

To add insult to injury, the rest of the ride kind of sucked. There was more traffic than usual. I had to sit in a long line of cars waiting for a light a couple times. Then I got stuck behind a tentative driver who kept missing chances to get out on another road at a stop sign. I got home late and banged up, but at least my new bike trainer was there waiting for me to check out. Oh, wait. That didn't happen. The package seems to be lost in UPS purgatory and hasn't been delivered despite sitting in town since Saturday. At least my kids were happy to see me. Oh, wait. They were both kind of whiny the second I walked through the door. Great afternoon!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ wow, what a crappy day s0ck. It will get better.

Welcome back blockphi. Good luck with your recovery.

Sending warm thoughts your way, MTBX and bedwards.

Dutchman, I use this stuff to wash my breathable jackets and it cleans + revives water resistance. Not sure if you can get it where you live:

Hardshell DuoPack

39F and light rain this morning. Another uneventful commute.

CB of the East
    Wow s0ck that's a tough day. I've had a similar experience with new sealant. Hey, look at the bright side, at least you didn't get run over by a truck while you were down.

mtbr member
    Good commute this AM. Temps in the mid single digits and winds in the valley only gusting to 16 today. I'm still feeling my time off the bike, but it's getting better.

Got lucky myself this AM and avoided another crash. The winds yesterday scoured the ice and the packed snow on the roads, turning it all to a nice ice skating rink. Almost went down pulling my standard U-turn from the bus stop. Thankful I didn't. It seems like any time one crashes it kinda turns the rest of the ride sucky, as sOckjeyeus notes...

mtbr member
    Rides were good today. Temps above freezing, dry and just breeze.

I know nikwax too but the reviews on fibertec were better so I took that one. That doesnt necessarily need to apply to outside europe. Because of difgerent regulations it can very well be that there are differences in ingredients across the world.

Sockeyous you stay upright now ok ?!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    38F and pouring rain. I remembered Rule #9, geared up and pedaled to work.

mtbr member
    Rule 9 is the only rule that matters!

Pretty boring around here: 12F at the house with a light breeze. 10F in town with a light breeze.

I did see an interesting ride yesterday parked next to me. Not sure yet how I feel about it - the whole eBike thing.

How was your commute today?-20180110_122859.jpg
    How was your commute today?-20180110_122908.jpg
    How was your commute today?-20180110_122943.jpg

CB of the East
    That is pretty rad! I'm generally against the whole e-bike thing for myself anyway. But maybe it would power through this snow from hell we have here. We got lots of fluffy snow that has been compacted but not consolidated. The tire pushes through and breaks it apart. 50/50 chance of making it up a hill without spinning out. It's like riding through peanut butter. An e-bike probably would just make that worse or let me go fast enough to crash harder when the wheel washes out.

I have to stop complaining, LOL. We have a January thaw and lots of rain coming in the next few days and then another hard freeze so that will change everything.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Nicest day of the year so far, huge temperature increase here. Currently 58F and everything is wet from a light mist in the air. No commute today as I am off. Snow and cold temps are back in the forecast starting tomorrow. Last week it was in the negative actual temps, and now it is almost 60. Mother nature, you cray.

searchin for Animal Chin
    1st commute this week today, it rained for 2 days straight and was cold yesterday so I feeling "meh" and drove instead, you guys are hardcore . It was a record here for days without any rain, 130 days or something like that. Good news now the trail I used to ride and quit because of the stank is all washed and clean!

That e-trike is pretty cool, I don't have any problems with the ebike commuter crowd, out on the singletrack trails is another story!

mtbr member
    It was near 70F yesterday. As of right now, it's 35F and raining with temps expected to dive into the teens and the rain turning to ice and then snow. Needless to say, I drove in today. People here generally suck at driving, but it's even worse when snow and ice are added to the mix. With any luck, I'll be able to get in a snowy mtb ride this weekend.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Warm this morning - 45F and a little light rain now and then. Might be close to 50F when I ride home tonight.

Eugene, see rule #9 - the proper term is "badass".

Have a good weekend everyone.

mtbr member
    No commute yesterday, wife drove me to work and picked up a used 26" wheel with Dynamo Hub in town yesterday evening for bike #2.

People still riding in the NE are even "hardcore badasses"

That trike looks pretty cool but I wonder how practical that thing is apart from riding. Takes a lot of space, heavy, needs a plug regularly...would like to try it once though.

Today it was 2C dark, windy, misty with drizzle. Not my favorite, but challenge accepted

have a nice weekend all of you!

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. Bunch of errands to run during the day and want to get back to the valley at a decent time rather than waiting around for the bus. Hoping the wind dies down so I can get a good night ride in tonight.

CB of the East
    I hate to disappoint but I had to run the truck to the shop today so I'm in a vehicle. It's pouring rain so I'm fine with that. It's supposed to rain more and then mix then freeze hard so the trails should be like highways.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Eugene, see rule #9 - the proper term is "badass".
    hardcore badasses, I like it! I guess I can be a rule #9 badass in the "inordinately hot" Vegas summer days here, but a wimp in the winter. haha!

I think I'm going to start stopping at this park about mid-way through my commute and do some exercises, there is all the usual stationary exercise equipment. Try to do some core type stuff, I need to start doing it but I loath the gym.

Class Clown
    my commute was good. a bit wet. last week it was almost 0F and blizzards, today 60deg and rain. goodbye snow, for now. i see the freeze coming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I guess I can be a rule #9 badass in the "inordinately hot" Vegas summer days here
    THAT is a statement! Since I live in a mild climate I am not used to extremes, no matter cold or hot. I think somewhere around 35C would definitely be my limit in summer. So you are a HOT BADASS

I'm #87!
    I skipped Friday because the temps were below my self-imposed limits (10F, 0F wind chill, no freezing rain, no lightening) at 1F with a -5F wind chill. As I was walking to work from the car I was feeling pretty good about that decision until I saw a guy on a cross bike riding without a hat or face mask on. For a moment I thought "man have I become soft" which then turned into "I'll bet that moron is only riding two blocks to work." The hardest part with the current workplace remains calculating the amount of clothes pretty exactly since I'm wearing suits now and don't have a shower. Far less forgiving of getting to work all pitted out than business casual clothes and a shower. That, and I don't have any sick or vacation days yet.

Class Clown
    Forster I've thought about this and would probably go ebike in that scenario. I have a locker room and scrubs to change into so no big deal showing up soaked in sweat or covered in dirt and salt. I couldn't imagine my rides in a suit though.

I'm #87!
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    Forster I've thought about this and would probably go ebike in that scenario. I have a locker room and scrubs to change into so no big deal showing up soaked in sweat or covered in dirt and salt. I couldn't imagine my rides in a suit though.
    I still ride in cycling clothes, I just change at work. Rule #1: never blog before coffee, between midnight and 0500 or during dinner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Crisp -4C commute on the fattie today. I'm lucky enough to have a 20 km route (one way) of which 80+% is gravel though the forest and I can add on some single track if time and light allows.

Still no snow in Franconia though...

How was your commute today?-4c53b60b-0086-43a3-bd87-c3b1df3b0309.jpg

How was your commute today?-3928abd3-a708-43fc-8911-b25c2fbc95d7.jpg
    Last edited by J_Westy; 01-15-2018 at 03:15 AM.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Moderator Moderator
    We got over an inch of rain in VT Friday, leading to some ice jams, flooding, and evacuations. My area was OK, but I did not ride. Luckily the rain changed to freezing rain and then snow, so now we have a nice fresh 3" or so over a hard crust, allowing you to ride or ski nearly anywhere. Now if we could get above 0F, but not above freezing, that would be really nice.

Members who have read this thread: 169