Page 227 of 227 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227
Results 22,601 to 22,689 of 22689
    mtbr member
    I haven't checked in here recently either. Not much going on, although this morning I had an interesting situation. I was preparing to turn left onto a side street where there was a car stopped at the stop sign that was creeping out into the intersection a bit. I was signalling my turn, and pulled directly in front of the car where the driver could see me to stake claim to my spot. While I was waiting for an oncoming car to pass, the car to my left crept out into the middle of lane. The oncoming car laid on the horn, and the other car looped behind me awkwardly and into the right turning lane. The driver of the oncoming car, who come to a full stop, and I were both like "What the crap just happened?"

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hope everyone had a good holiday and is surviving cyber monday.

I took the whole week off the bike last week, first time in months. It was good but I was happy to be back on the bike again today. Pretty uneventful ride. Wet roads but not raining. Temp in the lower 40's. Standard late fall/early winter fare...

Nice to see mtbx, brianmc and s0ckeyeus check back in.

mtbr member
    Same here. Usual mix of 10-15kts wind and rain every 2nd-3rd ride, with temps hovering between 3-7C. Repeat every day.

Nice to see lots of people posting again!

Moderator Moderator
    Brrrrrr 9F all of a sudden.

CB of the East
    ^^14F here. Darn cold on a road bike. At least it was pretty calm.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Rain and 45F here today.

One of the intersections I go through does not detect my bike wheels to change the light. I either wait for a car to come along or sneak through against the light.

This morning I was happy to get passed by a car just before the intersection but was dismayed when the car stopped before the road sensor that triggers the light. I rolled up next to the woman driving and said and motioned: "pull forward so that the light will change". She just stared at me like I was a raving lunatic.

Anyway, I gave up trying to get her to move and just crossed at the next break in traffic. She might still be sitting there for all I know.

CB of the East
    LOL, I've had mixed results with trying to command cars too. How can they not know this? Luckily, I think most of the road sensors around here are getting replaced by cameras. At least that is my guess. Lights that didn't sense me before now do even on a carbon bike which doesn't offer much of a target to sense. This morning there were 2 cars in the left turn lane about 1000' ahead of me when the light turned green. SPRINT TIME. I made it.

mtbr member
    Woodway you always ride on such busy roads? ^^ I always try to avoid roads that have traffic lights, simply because there is too much traffic there.

9F that is cold indeed suddenly mtbx!

7C/45F here today, 15kts winds again and rain on the way home. Had the windstopper pants on but it held the rain off luckily.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:54 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    All the sensors on my various routes detect my bike except that particular one. this reminds me to send another note to the city to adjust it.

Dutchman, the roads that I ride on for the most part are not too busy, but it's unavoidable that I have to cross some busy streets.

My commute for my last job included 18 miles each way of bike path with only a mile of road on either side to/from the bikepath. The bike path flat and not too crowded and I would crank up to 20MPH and cruise without worrying about cars. It was heaven and I miss it.

mtbr member
    I have an annoying light on my way home. I got the city to paint a stop bar and turning lane arrows on the road, but they put the stop bar too far back. If drivers don't pull all the way up to the stop bar, the light never changes. I don't know how many times I've been sitting in that line of traffic waiting and waiting.

Since I can't trip that particular sensor with my bike, I pull way up past it to allow the car behind me to trip the sensor for me. When drivers don't pull up far enough, I have to turn around and signal for them to come forward. Inexplicably, a couple drivers seem to have misinterpreted my hand motions and thought I was just being weird or threatening or whatever. I don't know how to make it any more obvious without holding up a sign.

CB of the East
    ^^Yup, wave them up and point at the ground. Some people just don't like being told what to do by a lowly cyclist. Because we are obviously inferior because we aren't in a car (at that moment).

We've got a 1 day warm up which was nice. My legs feel like dead stumps for no apparent reason which is not nice.

I just noticed that I'm a little over 5000 miles for the year. Respectable but quite a bit lower than last year and the one before. I might get a few hundred more in before the end of the year but that's about it.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^Nice mileage bedwards!

Grabbed my bike this morning only to see that the back tire was flat. Grrr. While checking it for whatever caused the flat, I noticed that while the tire only had about 3000 miles on it, there were quite a few cuts and pits in the tread. So I just mounted up a new tire. I like to get at least 4000 miles out of a tire, but this was my 3rd flat in as many weeks and that's always a sign to swap out for new rubber.

Dry ride today. Low 40's.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Just looked and I will cross 3000 miles for the year on my way home tonight. It's a long way from the 7000 to 8000 miles/year I used to do commuting to my last job, but an improvement from last year when I was working from home fulltime.

If my current situation holds next year, I'll probably do between 5000 and 6000 next year. At least that will be my goal.

CB of the East
    That is down from your recent years.

I was looking at all the cuts on my tire after my flat last week. When it was flat the cuts seemed bigger an more ominous than when it was holding air again. The flat was from a fine metal shard so I can't blame the cuts. It's only got 1000-1500 miles on it but it's getting a little square and it is a more performance oriented tire so that's about all I expect from the rear tire. The front probably has 6000 miles or more on it. It's the same tire that was on the bike when I bought it used.

mtbr member
    Tbh I dont even try to communicate with drivers other than signalling a turn by stretching out my whole arm.

IIRC I was at 9500kms last year, now approaching 15tkm so that would make 5500km for the year which is ~1tkm more than usual. Except for the 350km of touring we probably made more small family tours during the weekends. Its nice to keep track but its still a hobby. But.commuting by bike every day becomes more and more a way of life for me where the fun of riding counts most.

Good day today, 5C calm AND dry. Seldom for this time of year. Probably freezing tonight, might be slippery in the morning. Time for the conti wintercontacts to payback the investment!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Which tires Dutchman? When I google winter contacts I get automotive tires.

I've been running 25c Conti GP4000s II's year-round for years, but this site has convinced me to move to 28c tires for better comfort and lower rolling resistance (using up my stock of 25c tires first):

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...0s-ii-23-25-28

A colleague has been raving about Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. Again looking at the tire test on the site above, it appears that the Marathon Supreme only gives up about 3-4 watts compared to the Conti tire, but provides much better puncture resistance:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...n-supreme-2016

I might need to consider this tire for winter riding. Anyone have experience with it?

CB of the East
    These I'd guess: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...8aAqaLEALw_wcB

You're getting 3000-4000 miles out of a lightweight, low rolling resistance tire? My tire that is about done at about 1000+ miles is a Pro4 Service Course. i seem to square them off pretty quickly. I think weight has a lot to do with it. I'm 170lbs. Not big but not small.

~ B A D A S S ~
    2c and raining...
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

CB of the East
    ^^Lucky you, you get to test Rule #9.

~ B A D A S S ~
    to be honest rule 9 is pretty much 80% of the days here. today it rained so much I almost shat myself just looking at it. then it was kinda headwindy 5m/s for 70% of the ride, and kinda cold too. i wore top to toe gore tex. but i used to live in northern norway where it was raining 10 times as much, 10 times as intense and was fukn freezing even when it was warm so this is like "actually quite good summer weather" for me now.

NO ONE ELSE RODE today. I saw no one! but I did. i guess the posers stayed home today. it wasnt that bad really, as soon as you get over that mental thing that its raining like you were ina swimming pool and windy and justy get on the bike, then it goes almost as fast a regular.

Even though I wear sievi gore tex boots, swix gore tex mittens, diadora gore tex jacket and gore tex pants, my hands still get wet as fuk, but not rain wet it seems. but wet. I'm still wet when I get to work. But not from the rain. And I'm not cold. so i guess this stuff works semi good at least.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

CB of the East
    Yeah, I don't mind riding in the rain if I'm not cold but I hate dealing with all the wet crap and the much longer dressing and undressing process. I still haven't found shoe covers that keep my shoes dry for more than 15-20 minutes so they are damp for days. I'd much rather ride a few degrees colder in the snow.

But today it is 42F and the rain has stopped.

oh my TVC 15
    30F on the ride in and 53 on the ride home. Always love the combination of heavy tights and lobster claw gloves followed by fingerless gloves and shorts. It makes dressing for conditions the crap shoot we all know and love. Still, I expect some 10F winter days where I'll wear layers of tights and gloves in the morning with the winter boots only to swelter on the ride home with temps in the mid to upper 40Fs.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I meant these:
    https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...inter2-premium

They come in 37/42 mm only I notice so I am not sure if they will fit your needs....since you are talking 28mm? IIRC mtbxplorer is running those as well.

Moderator Moderator
    Rude-level right hook yesterday, causing me to slow nearly to zero. He he must have been really low on gas.

I've had Marathons, but I don't think they were Supremes. Mine were rugged but felt klunky.

Accepted a lift home after a beer with a friend - diet AND exercise fail!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    You're getting 3000-4000 miles out of a lightweight, low rolling resistance tire? My tire that is about done at about 1000+ miles is a Pro4 Service Course. i seem to square them off pretty quickly. I think weight has a lot to do with it. I'm 170lbs. Not big but not small.
    I weigh 185, so bigger than you Yes the tires square off, but I tend to push them until the wear indicators or increasing flats tell me that it's time for a change.

I still haven't found shoe covers that keep my shoes dry for more than 15-20 minutes so they are damp for days.
    I ride in the rain as much as anyone, and can recommend these:

https://www.showerspass.com/products...nt=27453845701

If you ride with cleats (I do) it's easy to cut a hole in the bottom for the cleat.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    You riding an e-bike Dutchman? These would be too big and heavy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I've had Marathons, but I don't think they were Supremes. Mine were rugged but felt klunky.
    I tried Marathon Plus's a few years ago and hated them. I felt like I was riding in sand. Sold them after one ride on them.

The Bicycle Tire rolling resistance site has me tempted to try the Marathon Supremes, although I see the skinniest they come in a 32's.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    42 and cloudy here this morning.

Went down on some wet leaves. Rolled onto them at a slow speed and was on the ground faster than I could react. Hurt like a SOB. I seem to be OK although my forearm is still hurting.

mtbr member
    Good luck with your arm woodway! Were the leaves frozen or just wet?

No e-bike, I am riding an 18kg touringbike with the 42mm version of the wintercontacts. On a 19mm inner width rim, they measure even 43mm wide and very high so they have quite some volume. Probably to be able to ride with lower pressure when necessary.

I use vaude capital plus shoecovers every day. Keep my shoes dry after 35min of riding in rain, havent tried longer but I doubt they will suddenly leak after half an hour. Using them for 3rd winter in a row now. The seam at the bottom lossened up last winter, sewed it myself and reinforced it with cordura. Is holding since then.

3C and foggy today. Maybe some freezing rain during the night so might take the bus if it is too slippery. Will decide tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 1 Week Ago at 11:50 PM.

CB of the East
    Thanks woodway. I think you recommended those before but it was right after I bought a pair of Castelli Diluvio that had great reviews for being waterproof and i wasn't ready for another failure. I hope the arm is feeling better.

On my way home last night there was a broken down car in the bike/breakdown lane. It was after dark so I had to stop to wait for a break in traffic to take the lane. Instead, the driver flagged me down to help push them more out of the road. The owner of a nearby house was also out helping too. He had one of the thicker Maine accents I've heard in the southern part of the state. The car owner was smoking a cigarette while trying to put some gas in the car. She looked like she might only have a small heroin problem. Gotta love Maine!

This morning's ride was much less eventful.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Leaves were just wet and they were covering some painted lines in a parking lot. I always try to avoid the painted bits when wet because they are slippery. As I was so harshly reminded...

I took some ibuprofen and the arm is feeling better. I suspect I'll have a nice raspberry on my hip. Have not gone down in several years and I hope it's several more years before it happens again.

Smoking while gassing up the car? I would have politely gotten onto my bike and ridden away

CB of the East
    I use vaude capital plus shoecovers every day. Keep my shoes dry after 35min of riding in rain, havent tried longer but I doubt they will suddenly leak after half an hour. Using them for 3rd winter in a row now. The seam at the bottom lossened up last winter, sewed it myself and reinforced it with cordura. Is holding since then.
    I just saw this. Those look really good too. It looks like I'd have to order them from your side of the pond. I had a similar pair that was too big and the smaller size was $80+ I like the full Velcro back because it looks like they would be quick to get on and off.

mtbr member
    bedwards, doesnt sound like someone you'd like to meet after dark....

Take care woodway. At least no damaged clothes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice to see all the activity here and that most of you are staying upright on your bikes...

I'm mostly working from home, but haven't skipped riding at all. Temps in the mornings have been hovering around 40F which is fine by me. Had a random thought this morning and wondered if any of the other regular commuters I would see almost every day have noticed my absence. There were 4 or 5 other commuters I could usually count on for a friendly wave on my way to work.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Well done keeping up your riding formula.

Dutchman, I was initially worried that I had ripped my jacket, but I checked it over when I got to work and all is fine. I had a good ride home (no falls!) but I found I was skittish anytime I was near leaves. I'm sure I'll get over that as the pain fades

mtbr member
    I can ride, no snow or rain and above freezing so all looking good.

Those vaude shoe covers are quite an investment in the US I see. They are approx 50 here, with transport and the current exchange rate it could be justified, but still there could be cheaper alternatives.. that said, the complete opening at the back with velcro closure is very convenient indeed. I have had some half zipper models and dont want those anymore.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    42 and cloudy here this morning.

Went down on some wet leaves. Rolled onto them at a slow speed and was on the ground faster than I could react. Hurt like a SOB. I seem to be OK although my forearm is still hurting.
    Ouch, hope there is no serious damage and you heal up soon.

mtbr member
    First ice of the season after a little rain yesterday. It was a bit slick crossing a bridge and taking the turn immediately after, but that's it. No biggie.

I'm in the process of converting my older hardtail into a rigid all-purpose bike and part-time commuter. I transferred the crown race and cut the steerer tube last night. All I need is a star nut, and I'll be in business. I'll probably keep the existing knobbies on for now just so I don't have to buy another set of tires, but it will be kind of nice to have a more playful bike to fool around with.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    38F and spitting rain here this morning. Rode to work and managed to stay upright today. Still sore from yesterdays fall, but it appears there is no lasting damage.

Have a good weekend everyone.

CB of the East
    Sucked.

I took the fatbike out for my first trail commute in a while. A few miles into the trails I dropped the wheel between 2 rocks and double pinch flatted with 4 HUGE slits in the tires. Evey though they were big they were hard to find because I couldn't get the tire to hold enough air to figure out where it was escaping. At first I thought there were only 2. I would get them sealed up and get the tire pumped up enough to start to set the bead and one of them would let go. I used glue type patches the first time which I usually have very good luck with. They I tried some of the self adhesive patches. Same answer for all. After the 4th attempt at pumping the huge tire up with the tiny pump I gave up, called for a ride and hiked to the nearest road with my bike on my shoulder. With no pressure that combination of tire and rim doesn't seat enough to roll. It just becomes a rim, a tire and a tire flopping around separately on the bike.

It was enough to put me in a bad mood for the day.

mtbr member
    Sounds indeed sh!tty bedwards....sorry to hear that and at least you have the weekend to fix it properly now! Monday its game on again.

Glad you are ok woodway!

Good to hear from you s0ckeyeus.

Nothing to say about today. Calm, dry and above freezing. No snow, freezing rain, ice whatever. Forecast just tried to fool me, didnt work

I'd rather be on my bike
    Checking in for the first time in a hot minute. Commutes have been alright, today and Tuesday will be one of the last nice commutes for the year I think. Currently 50 F and sunny here for the ride in and a low near 40 F later tonight. After Tuesday, the temps drop, the snow is forecasted to start and my bike commuting will definitely slow way down. Probably will not risk as much this winter as it just isn't worth it. Reynaud's has gotten worse it seems and it just makes riding miserable. Just shy of 3000 miles for the year which is a bit lower than I wanted. Did a few centuries over the summer, commuted a bunch, did a few fun rides including late night solo rides on back country woods in the middle of summer.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Picked a great day to ride. Sunny and 52F in Michigan first week of December!! Ride in was uneventful minus a constant and annoying slight head wind. Ride home was 38F and a bit windy as well. Decided to cut through campus to see what was going on. Came across a total a**hat delivery driver parked in the bike lane outside of the library. Asked him to move. He wanted to argue with me. Never moved.

Got a new computer and light mount for my road bike. K-Edge mount for my Garmin EDGE 810 and a Light & Motion Urban 900. Pic - Click me! and it is pretty awesome. Been wanting to try out their lights and heard good things about the K-Edge mounts. Both are really nice made and the finish on that mount is really nice. Really impressed with the light so far and the fact that it lights up yellow on the sides and it is very visible at night.

One more decent day left this week on the bike I think. Cold is coming, and the snow mixed with rain. No thanks.

CB of the East
    Welcome back TenSpeed! Things have been quiet around here. "Click Me" didn't work but I'm sure it looks cool.

The commute in was about 20F but clear. It's amazing how slow riding in the cold is. The temperature is supposed to double for the afternoon although it will already be cooling off for the ride home.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Welcome back TenSpeed! Things have been quiet around here. "Click Me" didn't work but I'm sure it looks cool.

The commute in was about 20F but clear. It's amazing how slow riding in the cold is. The temperature is supposed to double for the afternoon although it will already be cooling off for the ride home.
    This forum hates me for some reason when I go to post a picture. Cannot link it because it doesn't show, or shows and then disappears. So I put up a direct link, and that doesn't work either. K, let me try this. https://i.imgur.com/8TpHXc3.jpg < ------ that should work. I don't know what is wrong but it is super annoying. Debating on a commute today. Rain is in the forecast although most of it missed us ever so slightly on the radar. Within 10 miles or so. Still bone dry out as of now. We shall see.

CB of the East
    ^^Nope. I just use the insert picture tool under the advanced post.

You guys are due for some early season cold weather soon aren't you?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    My initial click on your link did not work TenSpeed, but I refreshed the page and was able to see the photo. Pretty cool setup!

Bedwards, bummer about your tire last week. Hope that this week goes better.

No commute for me today, but will be back on the bike tomorrow and for the rest of the week.

oh my TVC 15
    It's amazing how slow riding in the cold is. The temperature is supposed to double for the afternoon although it will already be cooling off for the ride home.
    I find my biggest issue in the cold (assuming that traction isn't a factor) is warming up and keeping from overheating. When you're coasting after a long climb, if you get sweaty climbing, you pay the price for both evaporative cooling and wind chill. As far as warmer afternoons go, in the winter I'd take the same temp both way thanks. I hate having to pack lighter gear for the ride home or packing my heavier layers on the ride home. I switch jobs on Jan 2nd so I'm not sure what facilities I'll have available for parking the bike or changing. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Hey tenspeed nice to hear from you.

Very slow ride this morning and I have no idea why. It wasnt colder, wetter or windier as usual. Made it up on the way home again a bit but averaged 18.5 kph on the round tdip which is the slowest ride ever, when leaving out the 6 times I was plowing through snow or slush...will oil the chain a bit later this evening to see if that helps.

CB of the East
    ^^Yup, a hot core with cold clammy skin. It makes me glad we have good hot showers at work.
    Bedwards, bummer about your tire last week. Hope that this week goes better.
    I actually took it off and patched all4 snakebites in the laboratory (warm, clean) conditions of my house. AND added a saddle pack with the spare tube in it.

CB of the East
    Hey tenspeed nice to hear from you.

Very slow ride this morning and I have no idea why. It wasnt colder, wetter or windier as usual. Made it up on the way home again a bit but averaged 18.5 kph on the round tdip which is the slowest ride ever, when leaving out the 6 times I was plowing through snow or slush...will oil the chain a bit later this evening to see if that helps.
    I always blame it on air density if all else fails.

mtbr member
    I always blame it on air density if all else fails.
    Cool we had slushy air.here today

Moderator Moderator
    A late season BMX commute today. I usually take it off the road in winter, but it was dry and in the 20'sF, and I was jonesing for a flat pedal commute. It was fun. Construction on my last mile to work is finally done, so I save a half mile detour and have fresh pavement. The newly added bike lane (well, shoulder, uphill only) is minimal but an improvement. The bike rack at work is already empty, except for a couple of perma-bikes.

A pedestrian was killed by a hit and run up in the Kingdom here this weekend, she was seen walking on vid about 11 pm and not found on the side of the road until after 8 a.m. Ugh. The driver and passenger have already been found and charged.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^^Nope. I just use the insert picture tool under the advanced post.

You guys are due for some early season cold weather soon aren't you?
    We are unfortunately. It has been so nice here that I don't want to see it go. Was 59 F here today and almost had me commuting on bike. Rain was in the forecast but held off almost all night. Was raining and the temp was dropping when I left so the car was a good choice.

Was hoping to avoid uploading directly to the forum as it kills any quality of the original photo. So you still cannot see that link or what?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    30F and foggy here this morning. Took it real slow as I was worried abut black ice.

Bike room at my office has also emptied out MTBX. There was a perma-bike and two other bikes in there this morning when I arrived.

The perma-bike has me wondering why the owner left it? It's a decent commuter bike, and it still has a light and bike computer attached. It's been there so long that both tires are flat. I guess it's a credit to the honesty of the other commuters that it has not been stripped yet

mtbr member
    Nice too see this thread slowly coming back to life again.

Not much to report here. Lubed my chain but still slushy air today. Have to drive tomorrow anyway, will hopefully ride thursday and friday and then check the bike during the weekend. Might be just the grease stiffening up due to lower temps. I am always slower in winter, but the transistion is smooth and not so suddenly.

At work there are still.some hardcore commuters that are riding all.year round but the racks are significantly emptier as in summer. Easier to find a parking spot

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Everything stiffens up in colder weather Dutchman!

27F and clear this morning. Black Ice everywhere. I took is slow and stayed upright. I can't wait for the usual 45F and raining to return.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My hands got really cold this morning and I don't know why. Temps in the low 40s, nothing new, so I put on the same gloves I always do for those temps but after about 5 miles my hands were numb. Luckily I happened to have some heavier gloves in my bag so I just threw those on and all was well. Maybe it's the dampness in the air?

CB of the East
    Look at all the chatter here!

Tenspeed. I get the link but the page says there is an error for both of the links you posted. A refresh didn't work for me.

Apparently my back stiffens up in cold weather too. It has been twingy since this weekend. I can ride my bike better than I can tie my shoes but it takes me a minute or 2 to straighten up when I get off. Other than that, the ride was good. The forecast was for rain but it had stopped by the time I got home.

mtbr member
    Didn't commute for about 3 days til today, pretty chilly this morning about 40f I think. Had the bike in the shop to tru up the rear wheel. Was beyond repair this time, I stripped out some nipples I guess I'm not the spoke repair guy I thought I was lol! So just bought a new rear wheel, way more heavy duty than the cheap factory one that came on the $600 msrp bike. Can totally feel the difference, solid. New rubber on the rear too.

Keep the rubber side down for all you ice commuters!

btw I saw Ghost on strava the other day took a spill on the ice so don't feel bad!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Another cold, clear commute this morning. 28F when I left the house. I was on black ice patrol all the way into the office.

bedwards: hope your back loosens up!

F4S: My hands always get really cold when I first start out. It does not matter how heavy of a glove I put on. Once I climb the first hill and my core warms up, my hands warm up too. I've just learned to live with it.

mtbr member
    Doesnt sound good bedwards. Is this the first season or do you have it every winter?

Tenspeed, when I click your link I get 403 forbidden.

Eugene: Spoketensioning and wheel truing is something I do not do myself either. For that and things like bottom bracket, aheadset etc I always go the LBS and let them do it.

Woodway, I usually wear relative thin gloves too that keep warm as long as I keep pedalling. Since I live in a flat area I dont have the issue with cold hands too much...

Strong wind here today, 15mph gusts upto 45mph. It can be worse: Just add water. It rained all the way home while it was a headwind. At least I was prepared and I have learned to accept that I wont break my speed record. I just pedal a lower gear and need 3minutes longer.

CB of the East
    ^^It's not necessarily seasonal. My back is the weakest link. I moved some heavy tires around last weekend and even though it wasn't immediately apparent I'm sure that is what set it off. It's slowly getting better.

What is this "Spoke Tensioning" you speak of. If the wheel's true I leave it alone.

I was curious about my seasonal change of speed so I pulled in my speeds from a specific segment that I ride the most and plotted it against the date. The red line is a moving average. There is definitely a slowing starting in October. It probably isn't a fair test since the mid winter rides are on a fatibike. The gaps in time are when I am crossing the lake. It is a short 2% climb. I haven't pushed particularly hard on is since I set my PR with a wicked wind advantage. Data geeks enjoy.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

https://www.strava.com/segments/8052631?filter=overall

mtbr member
    I ride the same bike all year.so.should be.comparable. I dont have any statistics but I would say I average around 18kph in winter to 22kph on nice warm summerdays on the roumd trip commute. The only thing that I could think of is more drag due to more / thicker clothes and more wind in winter. Maybe also thicker grease or thicker air

Hope your back heals fast. Sometimes when I have that, I stretch it 3x a day: sitting on a chair, legs wide and bending over with head between the knees, stay like that for 30sec. Repeat 2-3 times. Or better: ask wife for a massage

NDD
    Baby boy
    Good to see most everyone who used to post in this thread a while back is still at it and doing mostly well, stiff backs and minor crashes aside.

I haven't commuted in a while. Commutes were too short to be worth it or too long on unsafe country highways to be feasible. Maybe one day, but for now, I envy you all. I hope to get back to it someday.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    Looking at that segment I was wondering, Suckerville? Who lives there?

NDD you can always pretend commute, just ride around for a while with a bag of stuff!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post

NDD you can always pretend commute, just ride around for a while with a bag of stuff!
    That's true! It'll be good training. I recently got a bike for gravel riding and hopefully touring. A Trek 920, drop bar mtb kinda thing. I ride after work and most of it is climbing up steep hills (for me) on gravel roads of varying quality.

This is new for me, so I'm working some things out. Like Pedro's Syn Lube always worked well but since they started working on the gravel roads around me the actual material is very loose and dusty so the chain pretty well gums up in about 20 miles of riding. Anyone commuting on gravel have any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
    dang

I'd rather be on my bike
    Cold commute today with the wind just penetrating every seam of my clothing. Cleared 3000 miles for the year which is a good number, but well below where I was hoping to be. Had an interesting short conversation with a UPS driver blocking the bike lane. He gave in and actually moved the truck after I had a statement that he had no response for. It was like a drop the mic and walk away moment. He knew he was in the wrong.

oh my TVC 15
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Had an interesting short conversation with a UPS driver blocking the bike lane. He gave in and actually moved the truck after I had a statement that he had no response for.
    There's the one place where the comment "I pay your salary" fits well. Don't think the number of cyclists ordering parts and clothing online is significant? Pretty sure UPS would issue an apology if there was a nationwide boycott of their service by any group of athletes based on that type of incident.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    NDD - seems like in dry and dusty conditions most people switch to wax based or dry lubes. I don't have much experience in those, so cannot make any recommendations, sorry.

Come-on Tenspeed, don't keep us in suspense, what did you say to him?

Coldest morning yet this week - about 25F and clear when I left the house. It was really slick and I picked my way to the office at a much slower speed than usual. I ready for it to warm up and rain, but the weatherman says we have another week of clear and cold on the way.

Have a good weekend all.

mtbr member
    Today was my lucky day. Dry rides but it snowed heavily for 4 hrs. during the day. Everything turned white except the roads. Temps dropped to just above freezing so it didnt get slippery. More snow and sleet is forecasted for the weekend and we will see how next week turns out wheatherwise.

Rode 4 of 5 days this week.

Have a nice weekend all of you!
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 5 Days Ago at 04:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Below freezing but dry this morning.

Yesterday was more of a fun day, my brother is visiting from out of town so I took my cargo bike over to give my nephew a ride around the neighborhood. I guess he liked it because he didn't want to stop.

Only downside was riding into the valley where my parents live, steep climbs to get in and out. The bike was probably 70 pounds and I have no granny gear with the 8 speed IGH and a 50 tooth ring up front, but I got my exercise in at least.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    First snow yesterday! Had to walk a little bit, need to swap on my winter rubber yet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'd rather be on my bike
    Minimal commuting for me this week more than likely. All of the snow melted into a sheet of ice through the complex and the trails leading out. Rode my fat bike on Saturday through the single track behind the complex. Ended up hitting a half hidden wet root and went down hard. Landed awkwardly on my back and for some reason my boot didn't unclip from my pedal and I tweaked my ankle a bit. It feels alright but I stayed off the bike today. Weather is supposed to be in the low 30's during the day and then freezing at night. That cycle of thaw/freeze will make the MUP unrideable for sure.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    The only place I have ever heard it called that is on Google Maps. There is really nothing there but a handful of houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Classy View Post
    First snow yesterday! Had to walk a little bit, need to swap on my winter rubber yet.
    WOW, I think you need to swap to more than winter rubber like a fatbike. That looks like a no-go for a road bike.

I had my first trip in with the studded tires this year. The shoulders were a mix of snow, frozen solid slush and ice. For the most part I took the lane but the studded bike was a good choice. We're scheduled for a mid-day storm tomorrow so I'll likely drive.

mtbr member
    It's been in the 20s here most mornings. Not bad commuting weather but we've been trending colder than normal for this time of year.

mtbr member
    First snow here too but not as bad as in classy's pic. I did almost fall though when I hit a chunk of slush that fell from a car's wheelbay or something. I was much slower than usual too but who cares.

It started to snow again at 4pm and will probably continue for 24hrs. The strange thing is that temps are staying just above freezing so it will remain slushy the next days.

mtbr member
    Short vid from this morning:

https://youtu.be/M83lTOcpRZE

CB of the East
    ^^When I first watched that I thought you were in a tunnel and the top of your fender was the light at the end of the tunnel. Then you looked up. My version was more exciting.

mtbr member
    Actually I tried to show that there was snow flying around

Will try to make a more interesting video next time!

CB of the East
    LOL, no pressure. I've kind of given up on making videos. Even when it feels like you are doing something cool the POV bike video can be a little dull. But hey, I'll try too.

mtbr member
    Bar Mitts - what a lifesaver. The last few weeks, I had to stop and warm my hands because they were so cold. But, today, using the Bar Mitts for the first time, my hands were warm and toasty. What a great invention. I always think though - why didn't I think of that. I could have been a multi-millionaire. Doh!!

mtbr member
    Maybe we can start a contest on who makes the most boring bike video with mine making a good start.

No riding anymore for me this week. Fighting the toughest cold I have had in years. Called in sick for yesterday and today. Will go back to work tomorrow and Friday but will take the bus despite the snow thawed already away again and temps staying a bit above freezing day and night.

Ordered a christmas present for myself: A Gore Bike Wear Windstopper pants for 40% off. Currently I am often wearing such pants from Gorer RUNNING Wear but you notice its not made for cycling. No adjustable legs and no reinforcements in the saddle area. I hope it will fit just as good, normally I wear it over my normal office pants.

Keep going guys.

mtbr member
    It's salty out there. Our public works department seems to go overboard every year. My lips are chapped. I have a salty post-nasal drip and my mouth tastes like I just ate beef jerky. I should almost use a mask to avoid breathing in the stuff.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Dutchman - hope you feel better soon man. Good call taking it easy for a while.

S0ck - yuck...does the salt take a toll on your bike too?

FINALLY, a ride above freezing this morning...around 35F when I left the house. It was so nice not having to worry about black ice this morning. Ride was uneventful, clear skies and no wind to speak of. Rain is supposed to return over the weekend.

mtbr member
    S0ck - yuck...does the salt take a toll on your bike too?
    Yeah. It's even worse when wet. Luckily I ride a singlespeed most of the time. I lost a new chain on another bike last year after commuting in slush and forgetting to rinse it off. I didn't use the bike for a bit, and when I tried, I found the chain completely rusted over. I don't know why they spread so much salt around here.

oh my TVC 15
    Weird ride today. Eastern Nebraska in December with 45F temps at 6 am and 53F temps at 4 pm but my hands (in the same gloves) were colder riding into the wind on the way home than they were into the wind on the way in. Traffic wasn't bad either, only one jackass running a red light to make a right turn. He didn't seem to hear or at least didn't react to the water bottle hitting his truck bed. Those Camelbak water bottles can take a beating.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Commute in - 18F with falling snow at rates near an inch an hour, accumulation of 2+" on the ground. It wasn't bad, proper attire ensured that I remained warm for the ride. Roads were plowed but not salted so there was almost no slush. Fat bike on Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.8's handled it like a boss.

Commute out - 20F with blowing snow, accumulation of at least 7+" in most places. Roads were plowed, and again, not salted which was awesome. 0 slush meant that I could ride without getting sprayed all over my back and legs. Stopped once in a neighborhood to let some air out of the tires which was a HUGE help. The further east I got, the less and less the roads were maintained. It is a common occurrence when we get snow late evening/night like that. My foot deep commute on my old fat bike started like this. 1 mile cut through the park that I had walked because the MUP was completely impassable. Tonight I rode most of it and only had to walk the last 1/4 mile or so. The blowing snow and drifts made it just about impossible to pedal through so I gave up. By the time I got home, it was almost an hour of travel time, and there was some sweating being done. Hands were surprisingly warm, and almost too hot if that is even possible.

oh my TVC 15
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Hands were surprisingly warm, and almost too hot if that is even possible.
    Get that all the time. It's why I carry three pairs of gloves all winter and frequently change mid-ride. Hate being too cold, but don't like sweating up my gloves either.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Get that all the time. It's why I carry three pairs of gloves all winter and frequently change mid-ride. Hate being too cold, but don't like sweating up my gloves either.
    As a Reynaud's sufferer, this rarely happens. Mostly in 50F weather where I have worn gloves that are total overkill for the temps. No commute today, way too cold this am, and I am opening at the bike shop in an hour and a half. Hope the car starts. -3F currently.

CB of the East
    Sounds rough TenSpeed! At least you made it all but 1/4 mile.

The roads are still unpredictable lumpy frozen mounds of ice so I was going to drive or... see what the trails were like. I took the fatty through the back roads and made a gamble that I could get through the trails. If the trails are impassable it is a 3 mile RT to get back to the road that goes through. Hallelujah! Somebody had gone through with a 4-wheeler and packed it down. How was your commute today?-20171214_064931.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 174