Page 226 of 226 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226
Results 22,501 to 22,599 of 22599
    mtbr member
    Bedwards, I think that I said that and you answered that you rather rely on the flotation of your fatbike tires ;o))

So, dry but windy today with gusts of 35kts. Ride in took longer, ride home was faster and the round trip average was ... average so nothing special.

Slipspace is sending nice weather over here, 3 warm and sunny days as from sunday. Hope to make the most.of it - could be the last nice days of the year...

mtbr member
    Was a good week on the commuter, started taking a street instead of the trail on the downhill way to work. They've been repaving and restriping the street so it now has a defined bike lane and side parking instead of a crazy 4 lane free for all. Shaves a good 6-8 minutes off the ride in. Is it ok to talk about it being dark yet? I started work a little earlier lately and I love it, less cars, less noise, less peoples, less light. makes me mo happy in the morning!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    ^^^It's good to hear that you're doing well. I've really been enjoying the dark morning solitude lately also.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    This upcoming week looks like a good one for commuting. Temps in the high 30s/low 40s, dry. I just upgraded my bike to 1x10: 34t + 11-36. Since I was just riding in the 36t for all my commuting anyway, I decided to change. Eager to take it on the long ride. We'll see Monday.

mtbr member
    So despite the North West of the country getting the tail end of hurricane Ophelia (now storm class I believe) and 100+mph winds here on the east it bright, sunny, not really windy and we're anticipating highs of 23C!! Shorts and tee only required
    2017 - Target of 4000 commute miles. Covered maybe 1800 so far.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Was feeling really good this morning, legs felt fresh and I was just cruising along. Nice crisp fall morning, temps in the high 50s, low wind.

Then something clunked hard on the ground, took me a few seconds to figure out what happened. The mount for my bar mounted light decided to disassemble itself, sending my light flying onto the concrete.

At least it will still be light for my ride home and I don't have to rely on my helmet light alone.

mtbr member
    Late start today and rode with wife and kids to kindergarten. 13C already and very nice overall. Incredible 20C on the way home. Tshirt, helmet and go. 2 more.days of that are.coming apparently, yay!

oh my TVC 15
    Okay ride in minus the driver who gave me crap because I "cut her off" (after she parked in the middle of the pedestrian crossing at a stop sign). Best motorist quote ever after I said you have to stop at the stop sign, not in front of the sidewalk "Where does it say that?" reply "You mean stop? or at the sidewalk?. It says stop on that big red sign, it says before crossing the sidewalk in the law, the drivers manual, probably on the internet." On the ride home? Broke another spoke climbing. I don't think I've ever broken a spoke doing anything gut climbing.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Some motorists are so clueless. I hate the ones that try to be overly polite and wave you through intersections, etc. Appreciate the gesture but things would be more predictable if they would treat us like another vehicle on the road.

Bummer about the spoke. Repeated broken spokes are a sign of a bigger problem with how the wheel is put together.

Rain here today. Pretty much going to be the drill until next May

mtbr member
    Too much power on the pedals forster. Spokes cant handle the torque ;o))

Red sun and sky here today due to sahara sand blown overhere by storm ophelia. Maybe slipspace had the same, at least from the UK I heard some news about it.

Again a near perfect day today. 14C this morning and a nice tailwind. Easy day at work and nice ride home again. Dust in the sky blocked the sun so temps stayed at 16C so sunglasses stayed in the pannier.

oh my TVC 15
    Spoke issue is likely more an issue with the way I'm put together than the way the wheel was built. There is a torque issue at play though, they always break in a climb. Typically I break spokes that aren't DT and aren't natural stainless. The last one broke at the nipple, but every prior wheel broke at the j-bend. This wheelset is a low count/low budget set I'll put on a bike with a lighter rider. I've got a Blunt SL/XT wheelset I'll use, but that needs the rear wheel respoked (Handmade Wheels wheelset, but with those dang black spokes). Never had any issues when I weighted 165# in the early eighties and I had a lot more torque.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I hear ya Forster, I've been breaking a spoke every couple months, always on a climb where I get up out of the saddle and rock the bike. I try not to do that anymore, I just keep the bike straight up now. I also check my spokes every over day to make sure they are tight. I'd like to get a heavier duty rear wheel to support my 220# dad bod so I don't have to worry about it so much. But on the positive side I'm getting better at replacing spokes and truing wheels lol.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Nothing special yesterday and today. Nice days are over now, tomorrow afternoon rain is coming and from then on it will most likely rain a lot every day. So nothing special for this time of year either.

Kudos to the people having frost and snow already!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Red sun and sky here today due to sahara sand blown overhere by storm ophelia. Maybe slipspace had the same, at least from the UK I heard some news about it.
    Yes we did have that! Orange/red sky, really low light level. Not like dark though more like a solar eclipse. Was very weird.

Managed monday to wednesday, car today and tomorrow

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Forster, I bow down to your superior power output

Nothing special here either, 40MPH wind gusts yesterday, pouring rain today. Fall has finally come to the Pacific Northwest of the US...

mtbr member
    Dry rides today. Rain played tricks on me on the.way home. Rain when I left my office. Came outside, dry ??? Strapped the rainpants on the rear rack for quick access but I didnt need it. Made a short stop along the.way to take a nice pic along the way: sun between the yellow/red coloured trees, dark sky with rainbow in the background. A lovely sight to.start the weekend.

CB of the East
    Hey all! Checking in. I was busy with truck selling and buying last week and didn't ride as much as usual.

I missed some of the perfect weather last week and have some rain coming in tomorrow. We really need it so OK. I can't remember the last time we had a soaking rain. Today was nice.

mtbr member
    Drizzle and 11C all day. At least the new water repellant seems to be holding. Not as good as new anymore but still working very well. If lasts until in.december I will be completely satisfied. Test ongoing...

And took the road all day. Unpaved section is partly totally muddy and partly repacked, but now its rattling my teeth out

oh my TVC 15
    Nice on the ride in, windy as hell on the ride home. 35 gusting to 50 tailwinds, crosswinds and head winds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine could have been very frustrating.

I had to get to a place to sign a document by 5 PM and knew it would be hammer time against 15-25 MPH headwinds. I arrived at the place 4:54 and the door was locked. A light came on and a guy opened the door apologizing just about the time I could have been quite frustrated by their locking up early. We were both impressed considering the distance, traffic, and for me knowing the wind.

ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Started late today. Commuted with my youngest son on the balance bike to kindergartenin a beautiful sunrise. Rode to work from there. No wind, fog and the typical autumn smell in the air.

Ride home was wet. It rained and somehow that makes people feeling invincible somehow. Suddenly people run across the street without looking when t rains. Had to hit the brakes when a cyclist that I was about to overtake suddenly took a left turn. Yelled at her to watch out while I was skidding across the street with my rear wheel locked up but she didnt even react. I guess she was earplugged and a typical darwin award nominee.

mtbr member
    Lucky escape bitflogger!

50mph gusts? Phew I think I would skip the ride forster. Might be the case thirsday here, I have the bus option at hand...

mtbr member
    Was I the only one on the bike yesterday?

Wet ride this morning, enough drizzle to have the raingear on. Took the unpaved route and it was very muddy. Had some leafs caught in the fender strut, when I wanted to take it away it turned out to be dog sh!t and I ended up rubbing my hands with a (real!!) leaf and washing my hand in the ditch. Yuck! It got dry halfway and took off the rainpants.

Ride home was good. Good pace, dry, 13C, stiff tailwind and a nice sunset. What else would a bikecommuter want?

CB of the East
    dutchman are you talking to yourself? That's Dogsh!t!

I've been able to ride every day this week. The rain missed us yesterday but we've got off and on POURING rain today. It's some of the only rain we've had in months so it's fine. Pretty windy too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I almost dodged the rain on the ride in yesterday, was raining right before I left, but it let up just as I was getting ready to head out. Rode as fast as I could hoping to beat the coming showers, was doing really well until I was maybe 5 minutes from the office and the rain came down hard.

Sometimes you win the race with the weather, sometimes you lose. The ride home was actually gorgeous though and we have mostly sunny and cooler weather for the rest of this week.

mtbr member
    Dutchman that sucks I usually get dog poop on my shoes not my hands, yuk!

Commutes are over for the week. Headed out of town, maybe I'll rent a e-bike on the beach lol.

And man my mup trail to work is getting bad, is stinks soooo bad in some places. poo piss homeless peoples dog whatevers, have been avoiding it and taking streets home. Feel like I could catch some ecoli from just breathing, exaggerating but that's the way it smells. Pray for rain to wash it all away!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I've ridden every day this week to. Got rained on today during the ride home. Nothing out of the ordinary. I took an alternate route home, I knew the route had a big hill but I did not realize the hill was 700' of climbing in a mile. WOOF. My pannier was extra heavy today with stuff I was bringing home from the office - I was gassed at the top!

Supposed to be sunny the rest of the week - yay!

CB of the East
    ^^Sounds like a hell of a hill! Sounds like it must be a 20% grade in spots.

Today is my third day this week on the rain bike. Also the third time this month on the rain bike. And only the 8th day on it since the beginning of July. We needed the rain! It feels heavier every time I ride it.

mtbr member
    Was it Merkx who said "it doesnt get lighter you just go faster" ?

Nice rides again today, since it was dry, little wind and sh!t around.

I start to think about gloves though....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Not sure if it ever got to 20% but there was one stretch where I was in my granny gear, standing, and working so hard that I was wondering if I was going to have to get off and push

I've ridden my rain bike every day this week. Come to think of it, I have ridden my rain bike every day this year. I've ridden my summer bike every day this year too!

You ride with no gloves Dutchman?

mtbr member
    Hi woodway, yes without gloves asong as its not too cold. And I am thinking of putting on the thin windstopper gloves now that temps are dropping. They hold until freezing, below freezing I use thicker gloves and so far that has helped.

I do have a pair of fingerless gloves but rarely wear them. Sometimes in summer as UV protection.

mtbr member
    9C this morning and I was thinking about the gloves again on the way in...
    Rode with a collegue home and it was a nice change to have a chat during a ride. Overall it was a nice day although it turned windy during the day. Apparently a storm is passing through tomorrow evening and during the night.

I have a long weekend ahead since Tuesday is a public holiday here and Monday I took a day off. 4 days of time to wrench on the bike: Put on the Conti wintercontacts, clean and grease the creaking dropouts and clean, lube and tension the chain when putting the rear wheel back in. Brakepads need to be checked, brakes may need some cleaning, rotors as well.

mtbr member
    I had to use padded gloves in addition to the foam bar tape and larger softer riding tires to reduce neuropathy and numbness in hands and arms to the point of not being able to write. That appears to be part of my (now almost fixed) heavy metal toxicity. In the spring it will be nice to trial no gloves in nicer weather. I have double thickness bar tape and the non-belted Panasonic 28s ride well. I just need to get on the bike more.

~ B A D A S S ~
    so so.

it was raining like hell, and it started just after about 2 mins into the ride. my glasses fogged up and I just didnt care. I just kept on going.
    Wearing non rain clothes I got wet as fuk.

And then about half way to work I passed some c*unt blipping on a phone, I was going fast, then suddenly I feel a wire getting tensioned over my left arm. And I'm like muddafukkah, has some fukr put up a wire across the bike lane??
    then it snapped.

turened out it was that c*unts dog leash getting tensioned to the breaking point, the fukn dog was out in the ditches about 10m out and the c*unt didnt know where the fukn dog was obviously. because she was on her phone.

then she came running, saying i'm so sorry, I'm so sorry...

i stopped and asked her "are you fuked in the head"??
    then I asked her again "are you fuked in the head" in my language of course

there and then I conteplated to either
    1: spit here in the face;
    2: knock her out for crimes against humanity
    3: take the phone and fuking smash it right there. hard and repeatedly
    4: calling the cops and go through the process. I mean she was dangerous and neglegant to the extreme.

I ended up just leaving, but in retrospect I should have smashed her fuking phone right there, and taken whatever punishement that would have come from it (likely nothing).
    sometimes you have to teach people a lesson, and I failed to do this today. I will regret this for the rest of my life.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    No rides at all last week, while we had unseasonably high temperatures in the mid to high teens Centigrade....

Rode this morning, 5C, so glad of the leggings and thicker gloves. The hour changed at the weekend so it'll be my first dark ride on the way home since March I guess.

mtbr member
    Ride home was ok. Had a look at the action cam footage and the unlit roads show nothing except the distant house lights

This morning was ok again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My office is experimenting with letting everyone work from home, so this whole week is a test week with potential for it becoming permanent. So while I don't have my usual commute, I can just jump on the bike and do a loop to wherever I want before coming home to work. My morning miles are slightly up so far, and the scenery is better.

Hope I don't get kicked out of the forum...

CB of the East
    Holy Sh!t car bone take a deep breath and try not so start swinging at people. Good to see you back here!

I had to take the day off from biking yesterday. We had near hurricane force winds and trees coming down everywhere. It wasn't an actual hurricane but about 1/2 the state is without power, myself included. I was going to take the bike home but had to rush home to fight with the generator. They are saying it could be up to a week for some people to get their power back. I'd guess a few days for me.

Anyway, I got to take the bike in today. There is debris all over the roads and the gentle hum of generators from the houses that have them.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    So while I don't have my usual commute, I can just jump on the bike and do a loop to wherever I want before coming home to work. My morning miles are slightly up so far, and the scenery is better.
    I worked from home for two years formula and it was nice just being able to go out and ride a loop. But over time it was harder and harder to continue riding the same loops. I was very happy to take an office job where I ride to work every day - I found that I really missed having a purpose to my rides. Good luck with it, I hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Hope I don't get kicked out of the forum...
    Not going to happen!

bedwards - whew, sounds like quite a mess! Good luck with the cleanup.

Nothing much to report here except uneventful rides. Just the way I like them.

CB of the East
    Day 3 without power. I took the camp road home yesterday to see the damage. Trees down everywhere. They are predicting that people will have power on Saturday but I think a lot of people will be out a lot longer than that.
    How was your commute today?-20171031_173747%5B1%5D.jpg

The ride in was good, cold. I may have to skip the afternoon ride to get home and fire up the generator to keep the house warm and the food cold.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ We get big fall windstorms here in the Pacific Northwest too. I've been out of power for as long as two weeks. It really sucks (but a generator takes some of the sting off). Hope your power comes back soon.

Rain here today. Winter is coming fast.

CB of the East
    2 weeks is quite a while. I've used more gas in my generator in 3 days than I have commuting in 3 months!

mtbr member
    ^That sucks about the power Bedwards! It's good that you were prepared for it though with the generator. Is that a common thing in your area?

Formula4speed. I quite like the idea of that setup with home working. Not sure I have the discipline not to get distracted by other stuff though tbh.

Feeling it in my legs today. Third day riding but also ran 4 miles at lunch on monday and tuesday. Time sucks, I used to be quite a lot quicker, another couple of minutes on my 4 mile time would have seen me doing 5 and a bit 2 years ago, on a hillier course too.

Ride was good though

CB of the East
    Common enough. This time of year it's no big deal, maybe you loose your food but if it happens mid winter and all your heating and plumbing pipes freeze you're pretty screwed.

I coudn't be disciplined enough to work at home, hell, I'm not disciplined enough not to get distracted working from work seeing that I am posting here and all.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Working from home sounds alluring and all, but it comes with it's own set of issues:

- distractions, which you have all brought up. You really have to be organized about what you want to accomplish each day and stick to it.

- Lack of social interaction.

- Communication with your colleagues is more difficult. You need to get off slack/email and commit to spending a lot of time on skype/phone.

- Putting a wall between personal/work. Easy to do when you leave the office and head home. Harder to do when your office is home.

- Having the discipline to keep up your riding when the weather is crummy or some other distraction seems to be a priority.

I did it for two years and managed to find a balance. I'd do it again if I had to but for now I am glad to be back in a office environment. I hope it works out for you, formula.

mtbr member
    Dang that sucks about the power bedwards, good thing you're prepared, I've been through the frozen pipes thing in cold country before, nothing like a basement full of water and guitars floating around!

Commutes have been kinda fun lately, been avoiding the trails because they smell so bad in places, so I've been riding through some residential areas, just wandering my way home. A little white fluffy dog chased me for about 300 yards last night, fast little booger. A few nights before a German Shep was pacing back and forth in his front yard, I thought for sure he was going to jump the fence and come at me, but nope.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    I'd bet maybe 1 in a 1000 houses has any kind of generator around here but then it's a different environment. Most people wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.

Thanks for the reflections there Woodway, interesting stuff.

Sounds like it's a good job the dogs were that way around Eugene Cycling is an excellent way to go urban exploring though!

Not much to report here. Around the 5C marker and overcast mostly with reasonable winds.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Well, it rained pretty good today. Guess all the snowflakes decided to drive Usually the bike room at the office is packed. Today my bike was kind of lonely...

How was your commute today?-img_20171102_164449.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^ Nice facility. Glad it normally gets more use so is not threatened by elimination.

CB of the East
    Cool bike room. I park mine in the front hallway at work. I've done it so long that nobody seems to mind. The fact that my wife and I are the only ones that bike to work and we're both been here over 25 years probably doesn't hurt.

POWER is on! We were out for 3 days. Hopefully internet will be soon, that's been out for 5 at home now.

Today's commute was crazy warm for this time of year. I went back in and changed twice before I ended up in just shorts and a short sleeve shirt. ON A NOVEMBER MORNING!

I'm so glad it is Friday!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That bike room is sweet woodway.

I actually biked into the office today with the cargo bike to grab some stuff. There was some construction on the way in where they dug up the MUP, leaving a couple large gaps in the pavement I had to carry the cargo bike over. Bakfiets are good for a lot of things, carrying them over gaps in the pavement is not one of them.

mtbr member
    Hey Bedwards got the power back on now?

Nice Bikeroom F4S!! I am in a big company and the bike has to stay outside..after long discussions with the workforce reps they finally built some roofs over some bikestands, but when its windy, rain is blown right through.

And you can be glad that you have a modern bakfiets. The old original "bakfiets" (Cargobikes) from NL look more like this one:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/henryi...am/3843995808/

Finally on the bike today. Was off Monday and Tuesday and got sick on Tuesday. Had to stay home Wednesday, took the bus yesterday since I was still not feeling 100% ok but today, yes today I rode!!

And it was good. Quiet, clear dark sky with stars when leaving the city and slight fog above the ground. First ride with gloves and buff though..it was 4C. Visited the LBS on the way home got get breakcleaner and bearinggrease. Also got advice on how to try to eliminate the bearing play on my dynamohub and what they can do to change/fix parts before a new hub (economically seen, a new wheel) is necessary.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Today was crazy. I went outside to get my bike out of the closet and it was snowing! About 1" on the roads. We live at about 600 feet and I know from experience that if I can just get a couple hundred feet lower the snow will turn to rain. Traction was not too bad and as I nursed my bike into the transition from snow to rain zone, I flatted!

So now I'm getting poured on with rain/wet snow, my gloves off, changing the tube out. I got soaked and cold. Made it to work and a hot shower never felt so good.

Bike room is a nice amenity. It's got a tool stand and lockers. It's heavily used in the summer...there could be 50 bikes in there (it's a large office building and there is actually a 2nd room just like the one I took a photo of), but in winter not so much. My only criticism is that the pump on the tool stand ONLY fits schrader valves, despite 95% of the bikes sporting presta valves. Might need to talk to the management
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_20171103_144421.jpg  

How was your commute today?-img_20171103_144411.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    My only criticism is that the pump on the tool stand ONLY fits schrader valves, despite 95% of the bikes sporting presta valves. Might need to talk to the management
    Aluminum adaptors are light and cheap and using one adds only a few seconds to the occasional top-off. small price to pay for such a facility!

mtbr member
    Glad you're fighting fit again Dutchman. That is a beast of a cargo bike you linked to!

As said already, that is a good facility there Woodway!

0C this morning. car windscreens were frozen but roads seemed ok for the bike. Mostly they were but the country road near work was a bit sketchy in places, I could feel the rear end squirming on the iced over uneven road surface. I felt cold though, didn't sweat much was was handy as I was too late to shower, just a quick wipe over. Consequently I've been here nearly an hour now and still feel cold. More hot coffee required.

CB of the East
    Hey Bedwards got the power back on now?
    Power is on but still no internet, now over a week. Some friends just got power last night.

Woodway, that's enough of the S word.

It is crazy warm here again, 65F but is forecast to be 22F by the end of the week.

mtbr member
    Hey Bedwards is your lake freezing already? (Mind: No S word ) Good to hear you have power again. No internet is annoying but survivable (I hope at least, nowadays you never know...)

Woodway: Sheez a flat in the rain, that suxx big time. Do you repair the old tube or only replace it?

I started late this morning and rode via Kindergarten again. It was 2C but it must have frozen last night, since most car roof tops were frozen over. Blue sky, no wind so first time I remember to have the gloves, Buff AND sunglasses on Also first time this winter wearing the padded jacket.
    Ride home was at 3-4C in the dark and slightly foggy already. Glasses fogged up so stuffed those in my pocket after a while. Despite the light fog the stars were very visible in the sky. Very nice rides today.

CB of the East
    My wife was swimming in the lake not much more than a week ago. Usually that is over by the end of September but this year it was almost October. That can all change in a few days.

This will be the first ride home since we set the clocks back. It will be dark before I leave work. Hello Winter.

mtbr member
    ^ Yep, the hour changed here last weekend. Night riding home makes it all harder.

Kudos to your wife, I reckon I'd want a heated drysuit for open water swimming in Oct!

Ride home was cold. Although the actual temp was a few C above the ride in no sun to warm my poor old bones made it feel much colder! Hat, buff, gloves and jacket etc but I still felt cold. Got home cold but sweating... I'm doing something wrong somewhere.

This morning was back up to around 6 or 8C I think.

CB of the East
    I wimped out and took the car home yesterday. It was pouring and dark. It just felt safer. That meant that I had to bring the car back this morning because my wife didn't want to miss her ride in. I wonder how many households battle for who gets to get to work under their own power. Most people you can't talk into riding a bike to work.

The temperature this morning was about 35F cooler than yesterday.

mtbr member
    Yep the hour changed here too last weekend. Now suddenly dark very early in the afternoon.

Cold and foggy this morning. We had below freezing last night but it was just above 0C when I left. 5C on the way home but with a nasty south-eastern headwind it could have been better. Tomorrow temps are going to rise again.

CB of the East
    Hey Bedwards is your lake freezing already? ...
    Maybe soon.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  10.9 KB
    That's -8C for all you folks everywhere else in the world but the United States of Fahrenheit. We've gone from seasonably warm to seasonably cold in 3 days.

mtbr member extraordinair
    commuting every day like....
    How was your commute today?-gas.jpg

Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Thats quite a temp drop bedwards. How many nights with that temp does it take before you can ride on the lake? I still remember that one picture of that ice chunk in the low sun you posted last winter....

Stupendous man I know gas is cheap in the US but that cheap? Nice bike btw!

Foggy again this morning, but a bit warmer. 4C in the morning, 7C on the way home.

CB of the East
    ^^A Lot! The average temperature has to stay below freezing and the lake has to "catch". If it is windy the water gets stirred and the layer of ice can't form. Even when it forms if we get some warm days it will break up and disappear. It's a science. I remember that last year I was crossing earlier than normal. A quick check on Strava shows that it was Dec 20th and it was -6F. The rides before that were a similar temp. We have a long way to go. I can wait.

The ride last night was good but chilly because I forgot a hat. I did ride to the polls to vote. I didn't get a ride in today because of vehicle complications. Hopefully tomorrow. Low riding week for me.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Today was crazy. I went outside to get my bike out of the closet and it was snowing! About 1" on the roads. We live at about 600 feet and I know from experience that if I can just get a couple hundred feet lower the snow will turn to rain. Traction was not too bad and as I nursed my bike into the transition from snow to rain zone, I flatted!

So now I'm getting poured on with rain/wet snow, my gloves off, changing the tube out. I got soaked and cold. Made it to work and a hot shower never felt so good.

Bike room is a nice amenity. It's got a tool stand and lockers. It's heavily used in the summer...there could be 50 bikes in there (it's a large office building and there is actually a 2nd room just like the one I took a photo of), but in winter not so much. My only criticism is that the pump on the tool stand ONLY fits schrader valves, despite 95% of the bikes sporting presta valves. Might need to talk to the management
    That is AWESOME! Where do you work? I need to work there.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Flatting in rain or snow sucks. So bad in fact that I add quite a bit of weight to my bike to prevent it. A guy could be in serious exposure risk in extreme cold, so I use Schwalbe Marathon tires AND Slime inner tubes, belt plus suspenders. My rear tire usually lasts 12,000 miles and the front I have on right now has over 21,000 miles, and Iím gonna say it - ZERO punctures. When I have changed tires due to wear I will sometimes find Slime residue, proving that it has worked.
    In extreme snow I put my fat tires (Surly Louís) on, and donít bother with the Slime, the tires are so gnarly so far I havenít needed it... Touch wood!

CB of the East
    Did you say 12,000 miles on a rear tire? Holy Moly! I might get 3000 miles on a decent tire like a gatorskin but that's about the max. Flats too. I use to have self sealing tubes on my rain bike but I flatted and couldn't get it patched. I didn't have any new ones in stock so it just has a regular tube. I may need to look at your combo because you're right. Flats in the cold suck at best.

Speaking of cold, it was about 20F here this morning but otherwise very nice. I rode in with my wife. It was all good!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    That is AWESOME! Where do you work? I need to work there.
    Key Building in downtown Bellevue.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixie View Post
    Flatting in rain or snow sucks. So bad in fact that I add quite a bit of weight to my bike to prevent it. A guy could be in serious exposure risk in extreme cold, so I use Schwalbe Marathon tires AND Slime inner tubes, belt plus suspenders.
    I've heard good things about those tires and may give them a try this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Did you say 12,000 miles on a rear tire? Holy Moly! I might get 3000 miles on a decent tire like a gatorskin but that's about the max. Flats too.
    I'm running Conti GP4000s. Pretty lightweight tire but generally they serve me well. I typically push them to about 4000 miles.

Rain again today. Typical.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did you say 12,000 miles on a rear tire? Holy Moly!
    Yes I did say 12K on the back, and 21K on the front! As far as I have been able to determine, there are no other tires that come anywhere close to these Schwalbes, but o be fair I will disclose that they are heavy, still and not the best in the wet (though far from terrible). Oh, and again, ZERO punctures! HAHA, I donít even worry about jinxing myself any more with these buggers! See the attached pic for the 21K tire, damn thing just wonít wear out!!

mtbr member
    Oh ok Bedwards, that is almost Christmas before the lake freezes. So a few weeks before we can get those nice pics again.

MrFixie: Which Marathons are you running exactly? There is a whole range of Marathons from Racer to +Tour. A while ago I came across a test in which the "classic" one (with the 3mm green guard antipuncture belt) came out surprisingly good with rolling resistance. And in addition to the marathon tire and slime tubes, you could also add a tire liner like Mr. Tuffy. I myself use Proline anti-platt but I am not sure if it is available somewhere outside Europe.

Slow rides today. 8C all day but the unpaved section is very muddy and its sticky too. I just spend 10 minutes pooling out the mud from between the fender and rear tire with a spoon. At least, it was all just mud . Taking the longer paved route tomorrow, since it is supposed to rain the next days again too.

CB of the East
    ^^At least a few. We have a few days of the unseasonably cold and then it is back to mostly above freezing even at night starting next week.

mtbr member
    I hear you bedwards, temps are going up and down here as well all year already.

Was lucky today, rode in before the rain, went home after

Met a collegue on the way home, he managed to flat his thick fat marathon plus tour on the way home. Wanted to give him my spare tube, but mine has a car valve on it and his rim takes roadbike valves only (the thin ones). So I had to leave him behind in the dark. At least there was enough light and he had a very extensive repair kit, so I know he'll be allright.

Finally I rode 5 of 5 days this week again.

CB of the East
    Oh, this news of Marathons flatting just a few posts down from the one that said that they go a combined 33,000 miles without a flat. The world is a confusing place!

5 out of 5, you beat me. I'm at 2 and 2 halves. Good commute this morning but I'm going to shuttle a car home tonight. Which is fine because there is a freezing 20MPH headwind.

mtbr member
    Ooff 20mph ist nice at all.... I believe I havent had so much for a while. I managed to avoid the storm we had already this fall and for the rest it was relatively quiet.

And I managed to get that Marathon Plus Tour flat once as well. Technically even twice, but it had the same cause: Some glass shard was hidden in the puncture belt and came out only when there was weight on the tire during the ride. I found it after the second puncture, it was THROUGH the patch of the first puncture. That made me have a better look.

On the Schwalbe Website there is always a disclaimer. First it says big UNFLATTABLE, in small it says "Every tire can be destructed even this one" etc....

My collegue is in another office building but probably I will give him a call to see what the cause was.

mtbr member
    5 out of 5, you beat me. .
    I beat you?? Wow... You beat me on the total distance a year, number of bikes, centuries ( I rode 1 century in my life 20 years ago. In jeans, on a pink specialized rockhopper with green writing and knobbed tires. Didnt know better back then)

mtbr member
    I beat you?? Wow... You beat me on the total distance a year, number of bikes, centuries ( I rode 1 century in my life 20 years ago. In jeans, on a pink specialized rockhopper with green writing and knobbed tires. Didnt know better back then)
    Ouch! Yeah I got a Raleigh Super Course (2 x 5) in 1972 and rode it 35 miles two weeks later in blue jeans and T-shirt. I was lucky it was not worse!

Bedwards Of The West
    Hey there good people of commute land. Been too long. I'm still out here riding way less than I used to, working one job instead of two and thus riding about half the mileage of the past few years. It's glorious.

It's gettin' cold and when i broke out the "level 2" gloves I thought of you all. Whoop whoop. Keep it rolling.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Hey CB good to hear from you! I am still on the L1 gloves but they are sufficient for almost complete winter here

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not sure why I couldnít post this yesterday, but for those interested this is the 21,000 mile Schwalbe Marathon. I believe it is the older Ďstandardí Marathon, unsure if they are still available. I now use the Marathon Plus (35C) on my new machine. Only 700 miles on those so far, itíll be a while but I do have about 12,000 on one of those on the old mule. Itís getting low on tread though!

How was your commute today?-e0da63db-8d3b-4975-a994-1b61e821c4c1.jpeg

mtbr member
    I.dont know how it was built back then but it looks like the classic marathon with the 3mm green guard puncture belt. Its also the one that came out with surprisingly good rolling resistance in a test a while ago.

CB of the East
    Not that it is a competition. Wow, in jeans on a mountain bike. I considered doing it on my fatbike just to try to get attention and raise money for the cause. But it wouldn't be in jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Hey there good people of commute land. Been too long. I'm still out here riding way less than I used to, working one job instead of two and thus riding about half the mileage of the past few years. It's glorious.

It's gettin' cold and when i broke out the "level 2" gloves I thought of you all. Whoop whoop. Keep it rolling.
    Good to hear from you CB. I broke out the "level 4" gloves but I think I have more levels than you. (Fingerless, full, windproof, cold weather, really cold weather, double layer, mittens, barmitts. It was about 20F. My decision was good. I'm not sure about my decision to ride the road bike since there is snow in the forecast today. What? Probably should have looked at the forecast before I left for work.

mtbr member
    Actually it was more than a century, must have been over 200km, just for the heck of it No wonder we did it only once...

Close encounter this morning with a lorry. Started to overtake me then noticed there was opposite traffic. Stopped pedaling and put the right pedal up so that it was over the curb to get as close to the edge as I could. Yelled some not-so-nice words at the guy. My throat hurt for 10 minutes. For the rest it was ok. Windstill and solid -1C, clear sky with some early light on the horizon. Ride home was the same but 3C and the last light was in the west

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Wet and rainy this morning. Will be wet and rainy this afternoon. It's that time of year.

mtbr member
    Same here woodway. 1C yesterday, 9C today and rain this morning. Dry enough this afternoon to ride without the hardshells on.

Masscage (bus) for me tomorrow since I am heading into town in the evening. Hopefully back on the bike on Friday.

FWIW: My Anti-virus program is going mad at mtbr.com at the moment. I read that the admins are already on it.

mtbr member
    Rough commute this morning. First, I had to carry my bike through about 1/2 mile of "death mud." Then, I ran into a sleet storm before I made it to my train. Oh well - its still better to stay active.

CB of the East
    Not the dreaded "death mud"!

My legs are unreasonably tired for the measly 72 miles I have ridden this week vs the 120 if I commuted both ways each day. I get the afternoon off for some more running around and then a break for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Not the dreaded "death mud"!

My legs are unreasonably tired for the measly 72 miles I have ridden this week vs the 120 if I commuted both ways each day. I get the afternoon off for some more running around and then a break for the weekend.
    Yep - I hate that stuff. Not only can you not ride through it, but, even if you try to push your bike through it, it clogs up the wheel and then, when you try to carry your bike, the bike is 5 to 10 pounds heavier because of the mud.

How was your commute today?-img_0050.jpg

mtbr member
    The cold temps and dark have been making the commutes more fun for me, also found a cool little park to do figure 8s for some more miles, half concrete half sandy dirt. Awesome sunrises and sunsets this time of year!

3 days without a post in this thread, has to be a record!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

CB of the East
    ^^Not a record but it isn't as active as it use to be. Sunrises do seem better in the cold weather.

I dropped the car at the shop and started to ride the rest of the way in. Flatted a few miles from work and wasn't excited about changing it at 22F. Called my wife for a pickup. She had already ridden in and was there a few miles away with a car. I jogged about a mile toward work with the bike where she met me. I hate flats in the cold more than I hate flats in general.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Wow, that's commuter heaven!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    3 days without a post in this thread, has to be a record!
    Activity in this thread (and many MTBR threads) is down. Is Facebook slowly killing MTBR?

Called my wife for a pickup.
    The shame of it. <shaking head>

Rode in the rain again yesterday, which is to be expected this time of year. From a climatology point of view, this is the wettest week of the year in Seattle. I have nothing to complain about, it's water, not snow and we had a fantastic summer.

I'm off today and the rest of the week. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the US.

mtbr member
    Activity in this thread (and many MTBR threads) is down. Is Facebook slowly killing MTBR?
    Nope. MTBR had a cryptomining virus which caused several Antivirus programs (inbcluding mine) blocking this site. I continued nevertheless after the first warning but was constantly redirected suddenly to all kinds of prize winning sites so I stayed away until now.

Nothing much to say here. Had first freezing temps last week, rain and wind this week with temps going up to 14C tomorrow and back down to around freezing next week.

Managed to almost get hit 3x yesterday within 5 minutes. First time I was almost righthooked, slammed the brakes, so did he. When I continued, had to slam the brakes immediately since somebody from the other side almost "lefthooked" me, then after 3 minutes I was crossing a pedestrian crossing where somebody managed to oversee me completely despite reflective pants, jacket, helmetcover, spokereflectors and reflective sidewalls....this doubled my nearmisses of the last 4 years within 5 minutes. Congrats German drivers.

I hope you did better the last days. Wish you happy thanksgiving. Looking forward to the new black Friday fights videos at youtube

mtbr member

CB of the East
    Huh, I haven't seen any signs of a virus but maybe it's because I run an ad blocker and this is one of the few sites left that doesn't force me to turn it off.

Black Friday youtube fights. Thanks for reminding me that there is something to look forward to in black Friday. Other than the obvious day off.

No flats on the way home last night!!!! I had to take a car today which is OK since it is raining.

Have a good T-Day all those who celebrate it and all that don't too.

Moderator Moderator
    Hi all, and Happy Thanksgiving hope you have been well, no way I can catch up! Not much to report, I did have my haircutter pull out in front of me, there was not a crash, but a close call, and I could see she recognized both her mistake and me. At my next haircut, right off she said "Oh my god, Barb, I almost killed you" and apologized. A coworker also admitted that when she passes me she is extra careful because "everyone at work would be really mad t me if I ran you over". I guess it is all about her, but I'll take it.

mtbr member
    Happy Thanksgiving to all whether you are celebrating it today, or not. Keep the rubber side down and may all pass you at a safe distance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not pleased to be taking care of a work emergency but pleased that I could get here via bike at around 41 degrees in sunshine. Going home will be mostly downhill with slight tail wind.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Incredible 14C here today but with a 25mph headwind :-/

Similar sticky mud here too bctj on my unpaved part. Fenders are clogged up and had to poke it out with a stick. Will take the paved route the next days/weeks.

Happy thanksgiving all of you. Trend is swapping over to europe too, at least for online.shopping so I might hunt some bikestuff too.

Members who have read this thread: 178