Page 225 of 225 FirstFirst ... 125175215221222223224225
Results 22,401 to 22,423 of 22423
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Respectable commutes today, great average mph for both rides. 19.0 on the way in and 18.6 on the way home. Ride in was a short blast from the bike shop so it was much easier. Gonna take my dog with me to the bike shop tomorrow so that should be a good time. He doesn't mind riding in my bag which I thought would bother him since he can't see anything.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Woodway, Dutchman - thanks for the pointer i'll try and check out the spoke tension, they all make the same noise when you tap them though.

Tenspeed, sounds like an interesting doggy bag

Same situation here as Dutch, not hurricane but gale force winds had me in the car this morning.
    2017 - 1018/4000 commute miles

Pcyclo
    TS you have a dog?? From just reading I thought you are always out riding/working somewhere and only come home to sleep....

SS: car is good. After checking this morning, I took the bus. If the forecast is right ptobably on the bike again tomorrow.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Minor run-in with a driver last night...she was in a line of cars waiting for a light and was shifted over and blocking most of the bike lane (she was looking at her phone). I yelled "HEY!" at her before I squeezed by so she would know I was there. We ended up next to each other at the light and she let me know she did not appreciate me yelling at her. I explained that since there were two of us in the bike lane and only one of us was on a bike I needed a way to get her attention. This little piece of logic had no effect...

Looks like first real rains since early June are coming next week. Good thing I never took my fenders off...
    Last edited by woodway; 5 Days Ago at 04:13 PM.

Get on your bike and ride
    Similar run in twice this week. First guy pulls into the bike lane without stopping for the light and gets pissed when I don't want to stick around and listen to him explain how hard it is to see cyclists on the bike path (even though it's been there, 9' wide for 20 years). Guy today is turning left off an arterial street and pulls in front of me, noticing that I'm in the lane he brakes to a complete stop right in front. I presume he stopped there so I could hear him tell me that he didn't see me, but I went around and ignored the conversation. Honestly, by that point the only thing I wanted to hear was my wife pouring an IPA. Rough day at work. Makes me wonder why I'm still working in retirement (I get the oxymoronic nature of that statement).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Do I have a dog?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_20141120_141039828.jpg  

The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Pcyclo
    TS *sweet*

Rode today. Windforecast was down to max gusts of 50kph today which is acceptable and it turned out to be even less. Did have to clear the way twice though, there was 1 thick branch of around 6-7cm hanging over the way at first and later a heap of smaller branches/twigs. Those last ones I could have gone around it but I thought it would be better to put them aside instead of swerving around it the next days (or even weeks...)

In general I had the impression that the storm yesterday wasnt so bad but in the news it appeared that somebody died in town at a construction site where something was blown over. So nothing to joke with, glad I took the bus.

Local outdoorshop has big sale currently, bought two Endura Cycling Jeans last week and have been wearing one this week. Good fit, stretchy and seam-free in the saddle area. Although not a requirement for me, hideable reflectors are on the jeans as well. Bought a Vaude Yaki zipoff pants (padded innerpants included) and 2 marmot longsleeves as well, all 50% off #bargain

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    ...Honestly, by that point the only thing I wanted to hear was my wife pouring an IPA. Rough day at work.

Still some amazingly nice days around here. I offered to shuttle the car in this morning so my wife could ride but brought a mountain bike for the trip home.

This weekend is an organized century ride. By this time last year I had done 10 or so self supported centuries. So far this year - zero.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Don't feel bad bedwards, I've done 0 centuries ever. And if you've taken all the elevation you climbed and then subtract 0 from that, that's about how much I've climbed, because it's really flat here.

I keep telling myself I'll ride a century one day, either organized or solo, just to check it off the list.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Local outdoorshop has big sale currently, bought two Endura Cycling Jeans last week and have been wearing one this week. Good fit, stretchy and seam-free in the saddle area. Although not a requirement for me, hideable reflectors are on the jeans as well. Bought a Vaude Yaki zipoff pants (padded innerpants included) and 2 marmot longsleeves as well, all 50% off #bargain
    Good finds Dutchman. You can never have enough cycling clothes in my book.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    This weekend is an organized century ride. By this time last year I had done 10 or so self supported centuries. So far this year - zero.
    Somehow I think you'll survive...

After doing some self-supported centuries over the past few years, I cannot bring myself to do organized ones anymore. There is just something so sweet about being out on your own for a long ride with nothing to do all day but turn the pedals over at whatever pace you choose...

mtbr member
    Good purchases Dutchman. Never heard of Cycling jeans before. Had to google to see what they were like

All the best for the Century Bedwards. I suspect you'll breeze it.

Ended up biking yesterday. Went out to the garage to ride in and my 16yr old lad was still there trying to get his motorbike started. I had a go, dropped some easy start in it but still not running. Ended up giving him a lift to work and then onto mine. Couldn't sort it last night (bloomin 2 strokes) so ran him in this morning. Would've liked to bike, it was glorious, but poor kid was in a snafu otherwise. I know what I'll be doing this weekend though...

CB of the East
    Thanks all, I'm not too worried. I took the heavy rain bike so I wouldn't be tempted to ride fast today . That and it may rain. I saw a decent rainbow through the trees on the way in.

I like the self supported type but the camaraderie of a big group ride with a bunch of people that may be pushing their limits is fun. The next Century I have in about a month is The Dempsey Challenge. Since Patrick Dempsey is involved around his hometown it gets a lot of press. People come out and line the streets to cheer you on. Or try to get a glimpse of PD when he rides by. He often stops to talk to people.

Pcyclo
    Thanks for the compliments guys. To be exactly, those Endura pants are called "urban jeans". I also have already 3 of their "urban stretch pants" those look no different than the pants that come with a suit. Should have the pants thing covered by now. Hopefully no new purchases necessary the next years. Oh before I forget I bought their Illuminite rain pants as well, my old VauDe started to come apart after 9 years...

Nice rides today, early start when it was still pretty much dark and made the cheese-detour so made 30km today.

Bedwards: Good luck for your century. I am sure you'll make it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I have apparently upset the bike gods in some way as they have smited me with a series of flats.

Got one at the end of last week, guess I missed whatever knicked the tube because after patching it the tube held air over the weekend but I get to work today and a couple hours later it's flat again.

No problem, go back over the tire and find the suspected culprit. Remove small tube stabbing object, apply new patch, reinstall tire.

Pump up freshly patched tube...BOOM. Tube fails at the seam.

I hope the bike god anger has subsided, because I'm running out of ways to fix any flats for the ride home.
    They burned some car tires in a protest here recently & I've been getting flats from the tiny pieces of steel belt wire. At least they're slow leakers.

mtbr member
    Nice sunny ride in today, It has been a wet weekend though so lots of standing water. I ordered a Bontrager Recharger track pump ( https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrage...-pump-EV199462 ) which arrived friday. Seems like a good bit of kit alhough it is my first track pump so have no benchmark for comparison. Pumped the Marathon pluses to 100 psi for the commuter, I doubt I ever get that high with the hand pump, and felt really fast this morning.

How went the 100 Bedwars? Good average speed on the strava

CB of the East
    Is a track pump a floor pump? And if so, you've never had one? You might add 1-2 MPH to hour commutes, LOL.

The ride was "Wicked Good"! We had a group of 6 and did most of the ride at a nice conversational pace. I did blast off with another guy to see if I could PR a climb up Evens Notch. I managed 10th (or 11th depending on which particular segment you are looking at) out of 430 on Strava. My overall average was 17.3MPH. The race course was stocked with fresh baked cookies, sweet breads and chocolate milk. Not to mention beer and tacos at the end. I'm pretty sure I gained weight after riding 100 miles.

This mornings ride was through the misty woods.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZLjkRxnIrq/media?size=l
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZLlBF6n5nH/media?size=l

mtbr member
    ha, yeah, track / floor pump, same thing; and yep, I've never had one. Hand pumps and foot pumps only.

I reckon I could be encouraged to go on organised centuries if that's what feeding stations are like these days.

CB of the East
    Most of the ones that I have been on have some kind of home-made-goodness. There is a Farm to Fork Fondo which I have never done because it is pricey but they have amazing food at the stops. I actually happened onto one of the rest stops just as they were closing while I was doing my own ride last year. They encouraged me to take whatever I wanted even after I told them I wasn't part of the event.

Pcyclo
    Looks good ss! And congrats on the ride bedwards! Sounds like my type of event ;o))

Foggy this morning and 7C. Nice ride durung the sunrise. Took another way home just for variation and it is only 6-7minutes more. Mostly sunny, calm winds and 16C this afternoon.

I sorted out my winter stuff yesterday: gloves, buffs, merino longsleeves etc. And I wore a merino shirt today for the first time today. Autumn is coming.

mtbr member
    No commuting all this week, the Mrs is out of town and I have to drive home for lunch to check on the animals. That's funny you mention gaining weight after a ride Bedwards, sometimes I'll hit a sandwich shop and get the biggest sandwich on the menu after a ride, totally worth it!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice job on the century bedwards.

Duthchman: New commuter forum rule - no talk of winter clothing until October. Let's try to revel in summer for a couple more weeks

Rode in the rain for the first time since June (not because I have not been riding since June, but because it has not rained since June). Roads were super slick with all the accumulated oil and gunk from the summer. Need a couple more good rains to clean them off. Good thing I never took my fenders off!

Pcyclo
    Roger woodway you are totally right. Longterm forecast is looking good and dry, maybe some summer after all? And two years ago I remember kayakcamping with my son with summerlike weather, in NOVEMBER!! OK it got dark early but thats good for campingfire with bbq etc. So never say never.

Nice rides today. Started while it was still dark and watched the sunrise along the way. Left early too and went to madke some firewood, at the kayakingclub a tree had fallen over, my luck.

Members who have read this thread: 198