Page 225 of 226 FirstFirst ... 125175215221222223224225226 LastLast
Results 22,401 to 22,500 of 22512
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Respectable commutes today, great average mph for both rides. 19.0 on the way in and 18.6 on the way home. Ride in was a short blast from the bike shop so it was much easier. Gonna take my dog with me to the bike shop tomorrow so that should be a good time. He doesn't mind riding in my bag which I thought would bother him since he can't see anything.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Woodway, Dutchman - thanks for the pointer i'll try and check out the spoke tension, they all make the same noise when you tap them though.

Tenspeed, sounds like an interesting doggy bag

Same situation here as Dutch, not hurricane but gale force winds had me in the car this morning.
    2017 - 1018/4000 commute miles

Pcyclo
    TS you have a dog?? From just reading I thought you are always out riding/working somewhere and only come home to sleep....

SS: car is good. After checking this morning, I took the bus. If the forecast is right ptobably on the bike again tomorrow.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Minor run-in with a driver last night...she was in a line of cars waiting for a light and was shifted over and blocking most of the bike lane (she was looking at her phone). I yelled "HEY!" at her before I squeezed by so she would know I was there. We ended up next to each other at the light and she let me know she did not appreciate me yelling at her. I explained that since there were two of us in the bike lane and only one of us was on a bike I needed a way to get her attention. This little piece of logic had no effect...

Looks like first real rains since early June are coming next week. Good thing I never took my fenders off...
    Last edited by woodway; 09-13-2017 at 04:13 PM.

oh my TVC 15
    Similar run in twice this week. First guy pulls into the bike lane without stopping for the light and gets pissed when I don't want to stick around and listen to him explain how hard it is to see cyclists on the bike path (even though it's been there, 9' wide for 20 years). Guy today is turning left off an arterial street and pulls in front of me, noticing that I'm in the lane he brakes to a complete stop right in front. I presume he stopped there so I could hear him tell me that he didn't see me, but I went around and ignored the conversation. Honestly, by that point the only thing I wanted to hear was my wife pouring an IPA. Rough day at work. Makes me wonder why I'm still working in retirement (I get the oxymoronic nature of that statement).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Do I have a dog?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_20141120_141039828.jpg  

The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Pcyclo
    TS *sweet*

Rode today. Windforecast was down to max gusts of 50kph today which is acceptable and it turned out to be even less. Did have to clear the way twice though, there was 1 thick branch of around 6-7cm hanging over the way at first and later a heap of smaller branches/twigs. Those last ones I could have gone around it but I thought it would be better to put them aside instead of swerving around it the next days (or even weeks...)

In general I had the impression that the storm yesterday wasnt so bad but in the news it appeared that somebody died in town at a construction site where something was blown over. So nothing to joke with, glad I took the bus.

Local outdoorshop has big sale currently, bought two Endura Cycling Jeans last week and have been wearing one this week. Good fit, stretchy and seam-free in the saddle area. Although not a requirement for me, hideable reflectors are on the jeans as well. Bought a Vaude Yaki zipoff pants (padded innerpants included) and 2 marmot longsleeves as well, all 50% off #bargain

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    ...Honestly, by that point the only thing I wanted to hear was my wife pouring an IPA. Rough day at work.

Still some amazingly nice days around here. I offered to shuttle the car in this morning so my wife could ride but brought a mountain bike for the trip home.

This weekend is an organized century ride. By this time last year I had done 10 or so self supported centuries. So far this year - zero.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Don't feel bad bedwards, I've done 0 centuries ever. And if you've taken all the elevation you climbed and then subtract 0 from that, that's about how much I've climbed, because it's really flat here.

I keep telling myself I'll ride a century one day, either organized or solo, just to check it off the list.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Local outdoorshop has big sale currently, bought two Endura Cycling Jeans last week and have been wearing one this week. Good fit, stretchy and seam-free in the saddle area. Although not a requirement for me, hideable reflectors are on the jeans as well. Bought a Vaude Yaki zipoff pants (padded innerpants included) and 2 marmot longsleeves as well, all 50% off #bargain
    Good finds Dutchman. You can never have enough cycling clothes in my book.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    This weekend is an organized century ride. By this time last year I had done 10 or so self supported centuries. So far this year - zero.
    Somehow I think you'll survive...

After doing some self-supported centuries over the past few years, I cannot bring myself to do organized ones anymore. There is just something so sweet about being out on your own for a long ride with nothing to do all day but turn the pedals over at whatever pace you choose...

mtbr member
    Good purchases Dutchman. Never heard of Cycling jeans before. Had to google to see what they were like

All the best for the Century Bedwards. I suspect you'll breeze it.

Ended up biking yesterday. Went out to the garage to ride in and my 16yr old lad was still there trying to get his motorbike started. I had a go, dropped some easy start in it but still not running. Ended up giving him a lift to work and then onto mine. Couldn't sort it last night (bloomin 2 strokes) so ran him in this morning. Would've liked to bike, it was glorious, but poor kid was in a snafu otherwise. I know what I'll be doing this weekend though...

CB of the East
    Thanks all, I'm not too worried. I took the heavy rain bike so I wouldn't be tempted to ride fast today . That and it may rain. I saw a decent rainbow through the trees on the way in.

I like the self supported type but the camaraderie of a big group ride with a bunch of people that may be pushing their limits is fun. The next Century I have in about a month is The Dempsey Challenge. Since Patrick Dempsey is involved around his hometown it gets a lot of press. People come out and line the streets to cheer you on. Or try to get a glimpse of PD when he rides by. He often stops to talk to people.

Pcyclo
    Thanks for the compliments guys. To be exactly, those Endura pants are called "urban jeans". I also have already 3 of their "urban stretch pants" those look no different than the pants that come with a suit. Should have the pants thing covered by now. Hopefully no new purchases necessary the next years. Oh before I forget I bought their Illuminite rain pants as well, my old VauDe started to come apart after 9 years...

Nice rides today, early start when it was still pretty much dark and made the cheese-detour so made 30km today.

Bedwards: Good luck for your century. I am sure you'll make it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I have apparently upset the bike gods in some way as they have smited me with a series of flats.

Got one at the end of last week, guess I missed whatever knicked the tube because after patching it the tube held air over the weekend but I get to work today and a couple hours later it's flat again.

No problem, go back over the tire and find the suspected culprit. Remove small tube stabbing object, apply new patch, reinstall tire.

Pump up freshly patched tube...BOOM. Tube fails at the seam.

I hope the bike god anger has subsided, because I'm running out of ways to fix any flats for the ride home.
    They burned some car tires in a protest here recently & I've been getting flats from the tiny pieces of steel belt wire. At least they're slow leakers.

mtbr member
    Nice sunny ride in today, It has been a wet weekend though so lots of standing water. I ordered a Bontrager Recharger track pump ( https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrage...-pump-EV199462 ) which arrived friday. Seems like a good bit of kit alhough it is my first track pump so have no benchmark for comparison. Pumped the Marathon pluses to 100 psi for the commuter, I doubt I ever get that high with the hand pump, and felt really fast this morning.

How went the 100 Bedwars? Good average speed on the strava

CB of the East
    Is a track pump a floor pump? And if so, you've never had one? You might add 1-2 MPH to hour commutes, LOL.

The ride was "Wicked Good"! We had a group of 6 and did most of the ride at a nice conversational pace. I did blast off with another guy to see if I could PR a climb up Evens Notch. I managed 10th (or 11th depending on which particular segment you are looking at) out of 430 on Strava. My overall average was 17.3MPH. The race course was stocked with fresh baked cookies, sweet breads and chocolate milk. Not to mention beer and tacos at the end. I'm pretty sure I gained weight after riding 100 miles.

This mornings ride was through the misty woods.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZLjkRxnIrq/media?size=l
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZLlBF6n5nH/media?size=l

mtbr member
    ha, yeah, track / floor pump, same thing; and yep, I've never had one. Hand pumps and foot pumps only.

I reckon I could be encouraged to go on organised centuries if that's what feeding stations are like these days.

CB of the East
    Most of the ones that I have been on have some kind of home-made-goodness. There is a Farm to Fork Fondo which I have never done because it is pricey but they have amazing food at the stops. I actually happened onto one of the rest stops just as they were closing while I was doing my own ride last year. They encouraged me to take whatever I wanted even after I told them I wasn't part of the event.

Pcyclo
    Looks good ss! And congrats on the ride bedwards! Sounds like my type of event ;o))

Foggy this morning and 7C. Nice ride durung the sunrise. Took another way home just for variation and it is only 6-7minutes more. Mostly sunny, calm winds and 16C this afternoon.

I sorted out my winter stuff yesterday: gloves, buffs, merino longsleeves etc. And I wore a merino shirt today for the first time today. Autumn is coming.

mtbr member
    No commuting all this week, the Mrs is out of town and I have to drive home for lunch to check on the animals. That's funny you mention gaining weight after a ride Bedwards, sometimes I'll hit a sandwich shop and get the biggest sandwich on the menu after a ride, totally worth it!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice job on the century bedwards.

Duthchman: New commuter forum rule - no talk of winter clothing until October. Let's try to revel in summer for a couple more weeks

Rode in the rain for the first time since June (not because I have not been riding since June, but because it has not rained since June). Roads were super slick with all the accumulated oil and gunk from the summer. Need a couple more good rains to clean them off. Good thing I never took my fenders off!

Pcyclo
    Roger woodway you are totally right. Longterm forecast is looking good and dry, maybe some summer after all? And two years ago I remember kayakcamping with my son with summerlike weather, in NOVEMBER!! OK it got dark early but thats good for campingfire with bbq etc. So never say never.

Nice rides today. Started while it was still dark and watched the sunrise along the way. Left early too and went to madke some firewood, at the kayakingclub a tree had fallen over, my luck.

mtbr member
    Sick yesterday, migraine, sucked!

Back on today. It was a clear night sky so temperature was well down this morning. Still bright and sunny although it's now somewhat overcast. I did stop a mile or two out and put my hat on under the helmet. My sparsely populated pate was cold! Forecast is good for the next few days though.

CB of the East
    Fun commute last night. I was taking a side road planning to harvest an oyster mushroom that I saw the day before. I grabbed that and put it in my pack and 500 feet up the road was a 5 lb hen of the woods (maitake, Grifola frondosa, ram's head, sheep's head). A friend pointed out that the retail value would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $100. Maybe I should have posted this in the roadside treasure thread.
    How was your commute today?-20170919_181510.jpg

Today's commute in was great because it was supposed to be raining and it wasn't.

Pcyclo
    Good that you are better ss, and nice find bedwards!

it rained this morning, just enough to have to put on the raingear. Ride home was nice.

Overall slow ride, a bit sore because of sawing and hauling firewood around yesterday. But I rode and that's what counts right!

mtbr member
    Those are definitely the days that count DM.

Not sure about that fungus thing Bedwards, something about that looks unsettling... still if it's worth a few quid then good work

Much warmer today, might be back in just a tee for the ride home later.

CB of the East
    ^^You just have to know which ones you can eat and which ones will kill you in a slow painful death. It was delicious. It's not going to earn me any quid but it will be good for a few dinners.

We almost got rain yesterday but not much at all. Today we've got some winds from the outer bands of what's left of Hurricane Jose. Overall it's very pleasant.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Good find bedwards. I love mushrooms with a good sauce. Yum.

Got rained on again today. Transition from summer to fall was sure abrupt this year.

Pcyclo
    WW: one shower does not make fall yet

Nice rides today again. Made a detour of 5km/15min. which made for a 95% different route. Weather was very nice on the way home, very quiet, sunny and 19C. What else can you want

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^Around here (Seattle) it does. We get blocking high pressure in the summer that makes it very dry around here. Seattle is associated with rain but our lawns all turn brown in the summer. This year from June 15 through yesterday we received 0.5 inches (12.7 mm) of rain. And most of that came in the last couple of days.

Every year, in mid to late September, the front weakens allowing a good storm in. That's the signal that fall is here . I don't mind. I've got good rain gear. I just need to find it

Pcyclo
    WW thanks for the explanations. interesting weather systems you have there.

Long day today. 10pm and I just got home. Commuted with my son to school this morning. Rode to work after that, was very pleasant. It was 12C but foggy so it felt refreshing on hands and face. Low fog turned orange in the sunrise, simply beautiful. Stayed at work until 6.30pm, then went to the tabletennis match which was near work today. After that I rode home, first ride in complete darkness since march or so. Was very nice, very quiet roads late at night.

Edit: bedwards, you finished that giant mushroom already?

CB of the East
    Oh, Hi! No, not quite. I've been finding some others and that one stores well while others don't. I did find some "Chicken of the Woods" on my way home last night. About 6lbs. I'll be giving some of that away. The picture is the one I found. Article below for those that don't know what the hell I am talking about.

The weather has been unseasonable hot here. It has been a wonderful extension of summer which started late. Highs near 90F! I'll take it.

Quiet around here.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    This paragraph kinda stood out:

"In some cases eating the mushroom "causes mild reactions . . . for example, "swollen lips" or in rare cases "nausea, vomiting, dizziness and disorientation" to those who are sensitive.[5] This is believed to be due to a number of factors that range from very bad allergies to the mushroom's protein, to toxins absorbed by the mushroom from the wood it grows on (for example, eucalyptus or cedar or yew) to simply eating specimens that have decayed past their prime. As such, many field guides request that those who eat Laetiporus exercise caution by only eating fresh, young brackets and begin with small quantities to see how well it sits in their stomach."

Don't be munching on your way home, the disorientation might kill you

CB of the East
    Yup, don't munch and ride. I think that disclaimer falls into the same category as the one for peanuts. In some people it can cause an allergic reaction and possibly death. But I love them. Hmm, maybe some chicken of the woods Pad Thai!

Other wild mushrooms are pretty good at removing your kidneys. I try to avoid them.

Pcyclo
    Looks good bedwards.

Yes quiet here. Rode yesterday and this morning. Left bike at work, will ride home tomorrow afternoon.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    My company is moving to a new office next week. The direct route from home to the office is only 8 miles. I'm not even warmed up in 8 miles. I need to find some longer routes. The new place has a dedicated bike lockup, but no showers. There is a LA fitness next door, $25/month and the company will pay for it, so not all bad.

mtbr member
    Still not digging the mushrooms (man) but I hope you enjoy them Bedwards.

Woodway - Free gym membership is a good perk! You could arrive at the gym all warmed up after your 8 miles and go straight into some sets. Or go the longer route and just use their showers....

Been warm this week here too. Uneventful rides but been pushing it harder, can feel it in my legs already.

Pcyclo
    How far was your previous commute woodway? Mine is 7m and I am fine with that. Can you use the showers and changing room at the gym?

Took the bus to work this morning, horrible. Finally felt awake when I came home and hopped off the bike. 2 double espressos didnt help this morning. After half an hour on the bike, everything fine

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    From 2007 to 2013 I did a 36 mile RT daily commute. From 2013 to 2015 I did a 40 mile RT daily commute. Currently I am between 23-26 mile RT commute, depending on the route I take. Ideally, I would like to find some routes where I can do 30 miles RT. That's the sweet spot for me.

Bad news on the way into work today. One of the racks mounts broke off my frame. I was able to jury-rig it with tie wraps, but that's not a long-term solution. This is a TI frame I bought several years ago and I have over 40,000 miles on it, so I cannot complain. Thinking about retiring this frame to a gravel-grinder and getting another one of the same model, but need to give it some thought...

oh my TVC 15
    First commute (and second ride) on the new commuter today. Built a Lynskey Urbano last week. I'm very happy with the ride, especially on gravel. Probably the only thing I'd change is I'd have ordered the Cooper for the cable routing. But at the time Lynskey didn't have the 2017s listed as available. No real issues though, folks have been riding bikes on dirt with BB routed cables for years, don't see an issue.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Bad news on the way into work today. One of the racks mounts broke off my frame. I was able to jury-rig it with tie wraps, but that's not a long-term solution. This is a TI frame I bought several years ago and I have over 40,000 miles on it, so I cannot complain. Thinking about retiring this frame to a gravel-grinder and getting another one of the same model, but need to give it some thought...
    Throw a P-Clamp on it and ride it another 40,000. I thought Ti frames didn't break if they weren't fatigued beyond their limit which is high. - Of course I'm not one to argue about getting another bike. 40,000 is a lot. I remember when you got that bike.

Pcyclo
    Woodway, that is indeed a respectable mileage on your bike. Are P clamps indeed a solution?

Forster, dont think anybody didnt notice! Congrats on the new bike. The site doesnt show it specifically but it is a Ti frame I presume? I assuke.you will post up some pics soon?!

14C here all day. So damp this morning that my glasses fogged and I had to take them off. Ride home was better but still bad overall visibility.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Congrats on the bike Forster! Pics!

I thought Ti bikes did not break either

The frame itself is fine, it's the brazed on mount point that cracked at the weld that broke off. I always ride with one pannier and it's always on that side of the rack. And, well, that pannier has been somewhat overloaded more than once. Actually I have worn pretty deep grooves in the rack itself to the point that I might just go ahead and replace it now before it fails...that metal is getting thin.

Still considering what to do. Will tie-wrap/p-clamp in the meantime and keep an eye on it.

mtbr member
    Not sure what day I last posted but I drove on friday. Ended being recovered home as the front suspension strut collapsed, fortunately in the works car park so no high speed drama. It'll be a few days before the new parts arrive but at least it forces me to ride, even on really windy/gale days like today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Finally starting to feel like fall, broke out the arm warmers for the first time this morning as the temps were around 45F. Felt really nice.

CB of the East
    ^^Yup, Closer to 38 here. I had a light long sleeved top and a windbreaker but still shorts of course.

My wife and I set out for a 7o mile ride yesterday but 8 miles in: "Twang" broken spoke. I'm not sure why. It was on glass smooth new pavement soft peddling on a bike that is 2 years old. Straight pull DT Swiss bladed spoke, top of the line. It broke inside the nipple and blew the nipple apart.

This morning's commute was much less eventful. Just chilly.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Not sure what day I last posted but I drove on friday. Ended being recovered home as the front suspension strut collapsed, fortunately in the works car park so no high speed drama. It'll be a few days before the new parts arrive but at least it forces me to ride, even on really windy/gale days like today.
    I saw suspension strut collapsed and I immediately though you were talking about your bike. Glad it was "just" the car.

Pcyclo
    Best thing that can happen Slipspace ;o)) No just kidding, car repairs are always expensive, money would be better spent on bike parts/clothing.

No rides for me Monday and Tuesday, since Tuesday is a public holiday here (merge of former east&west Germany) and I took a day off Monday. However I am in the middle of the process of impregnating 2 bike jackets as a test. Rubbed it in 30min ago and will iron them now (with a towel in between) since we dont have a tumble dryer.

mtbr member
    Thanks Dutch. I have two bikes, commuter and MTB, both a rigid SSers so no danger of suspension failure there; unless my legs give out.

Impregnating jackets a glitch in your otherwise impeccable English or just my dirty mind how'd it go anyways?

Wind was cold this morning, well 9C but the wind was cold and in my face. Glad I ventured out pre-ride and put leggings on

Pcyclo
    Actually I even looked it up on leo.org on how to translate aand it looked good... So no other intention than trying to explain, that I put on new water repellant stuff on the jackets.

I dont know yet how/if it worked, had to let the jackets dry overnight and have to iron them to activate the water repellant. Will let you know how it went.

CB of the East
    Actually I even looked it up on leo.org on how to translate aand it looked good... So no other intention than trying to explain, that I put on new water repellant stuff on the jackets.
    SO that just leaves his dirty mind. That was a perfectly appropriate use of that word.

Chilly here. I wore the level 2 gloves but should have gone for level 3. And my feet are still chilly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

My new commuter build, all season bike.

Here is the summer configuration:
    How was your commute today?-97c6e33f-f915-4333-b56e-4b7ade8803e4.jpg

And here is the winter configuration:
    How was your commute today?-33f9946c-7567-4d0a-ac8a-9a9ad7dba5c5.jpg

It is all titanium (for corrosion resistance more than weight), and has a Pinion 18 speed gearbox and Gates carbon belt drive. I can leave all of my lights, 3 foot flag, cameras and bags mounted and make a quick wheel change for when the snow comes. This thing rides great, I love the super close ratios of the Pinion, 636% gearing range for the diameter and drag difference of the setups.

CB of the East
    ^^That is quite a rig. What's the brand?

No word from EugeneTheJeep since the Vegas shooting. I'm pretty sure he is in the area. I hope all is well Eugene!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^That is quite a rig. What's the brand?

No word from EugeneTheJeep since the Vegas shooting. I'm pretty sure he is in the area. I hope all is well Eugene!
    I'm here and ok, thanks bedwards, been a crappy couple days here in Vegas. Commutes have been good though. Temps are getting colder!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Pcyclo
    Whoa mr.fixie what a bike!! Ti, pinion, ortlieb, quite an investment but probably worth it compared to a car over the lifespan. Really interested on how that pinion does over the years, might be considering that someday although my rohloff will probably survive me.

Not sure about the belt drive. Here in german forums and with a collegue, lifespans of 3-4 years with ~15tkm/10tm are being reported, after that, teeth start to fall out and a replacement is necessary. That is way different than advertised and reported on cyclingabout.com (30tkm on a single belt on a tandem from netherlands to melbourne).
    Probably the same argument as with rohloff: not necessarily paying off over time but much less hassle with wear and tear, replacing parts etc

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bedwards10, the frame and fork were built by #Carver_Bikes, who also supplied the majority of the components. Hubs are Hope Fatsno on both wheelsets and rotors are identical too, for consistency in wheel swapping.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I'm here and ok, thanks bedwards, been a crappy couple days here in Vegas. Commutes have been good though. Temps are getting colder!
    Good to hear! Crappy doesn't begin to describe it! And that is from viewing it from the other side or the country.

Pcyclo
    Oh almost forgot. After ironing on lowest setting the first test under the water tap shows perfect results.

If anyone wants an advise on how to do it or which repellent I used, ask me in a month or so for more longterm results would hate to give out advise before I know more.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfixie View Post
    Bedwards10, the frame and fork were built by #Carver_Bikes, who also supplied the majority of the components. Hubs are Hope Fatsno on both wheelsets and rotors are identical too, for consistency in wheel swapping.
    I thought that said Carver but the fork threw me off. They aren't far from me. Great company to work with from what I hear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Whoa mr.fixie what a bike!! Ti, pinion, ortlieb, quite an investment but probably worth it compared to a car over the lifespan. Really interested on how that pinion does over the years, might be considering that someday although my rohloff will probably survive me.

Not sure about the belt drive. Here in german forums and with a collegue, lifespans of 3-4 years with ~15tkm/10tm are being reported, after that, teeth start to fall out and a replacement is necessary. That is way different than advertised and reported on cyclingabout.com (30tkm on a single belt on a tandem from netherlands to melbourne).
    Probably the same argument as with rohloff: not necessarily paying off over time but much less hassle with wear and tear, replacing parts etc
    Hmmm, I will see what life I get out of those Gates belts, at $85 a pop I hope they last closer to advertised! I ride all seasons (last missed work commute now over 4 years ago) and log ~6,500 miles a year. So that translates to only 18 months or so..! I was replacing chains pretty regularly on my two previous rides (Surly Moonlander and Charge Mixer) and bottom brackets were getting killed by the road salt (plus my prodigious sweat) too. I wonder if the poor lifespan experiences were related to improper belt tension? I would venture to guess that would be a life related issue... I’ll do some more research on that.
    Cheers!

Pcyclo
    Oh everyone posting at the same time around the world now I see.

Where did you get the bike? Local bikeshop, cyclemonkey, ..... ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sweet Carver, I've been thinking about a similar setup with the Pinion and belt drive, but it will take quite a bit of savings to get there.

I've got 2 belt drive bikes, my single speed sees 2-3K miles a year in whatever the weather throws at me (including road salt). I'd guess I have somewhere around 7k miles on the original belt/drivetrain and no issues thus far.

The "Centertrack" design may live longer than the original version, but don't quote me on that. I actually ran across a different brand other than Gates with a belt drive that runs even lower tension than the Gates system.

mtbr member
    My apologies for the offence Dutchman, it was not my intent. Nothing wrong with your word usage at all.

Nice ride Mr Fixie. Interesting setup too. So does that fork offer a small amount of suspension or is it more of a vibration dampener?

Cold wind still here this morning. Stupid situation where I was generally cold but sweating. Been at my desk an hour now and still not warmed through.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sweet Carver, I've been thinking about a similar setup with the Pinion and belt drive, but it will take quite a bit of savings to get there.

I've got 2 belt drive bikes, my single speed sees 2-3K miles a year in whatever the weather throws at me (including road salt). I'd guess I have somewhere around 7k miles on the original belt/drivetrain and no issues thus far.

The "Centertrack" design may live longer than the original version, but don't quote me on that. I actually ran across a different brand other than Gates with a belt drive that runs even lower tension than the Gates system.
    It’s good to gear your mileage experience formula4spe! I think that the centertrack design will perform better in expelling (rather than choking on) snow and mud. I’ll be monitoring that closely when the snow comes!

On cost, yes this was not a cheap build, but I ‘justified’ it by the fact that I never drive to work, and therefore rarely drive other than weekends. This also becomes an investment in my health, which is hard to put a monetary value on. This bike evolved during many hours of commuting in my head, imagining how much easier it would be to go ‘thin to fat’. This of course reduces risk, because I’ve crashed a few times on the snow and ice, when I was surprised by sudden weather change, and didn’t want to spend a lot of time changing bikes - with computer/lights/cameras/bags etc to swap over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    My apologies for the offence Dutchman, it was not my intent. Nothing wrong with your word usage at all.

Nice ride Mr Fixie. Interesting setup too. So does that fork offer a small amount of suspension or is it more of a vibration dampener?

Cold wind still here this morning. Stupid situation where I was generally cold but sweating. Been at my desk an hour now and still not warmed through.
    SlipSpace, my previous commuting rig was so different (steel frame/fork, heavier, panniers on the front to offset heft of NuVinci hub in the rear) that it’s tough to assess the ‘actual effect’ of that truss fork. What I do know is, as a lighter rider (155 pounds) and now having the panniers on the back, the front end now feels very light - even with the Lou’s. I imagine the Jones truss fork, which is made with smaller diameter tubing as well as a greater ‘span’ spacing the tubes would be more compliant than this one. I’;ll admit to speccing this fork more for the aesthetic than function... 😜

On the sweating in the cold, I know the feeling.. One of the primary reasons I ride Schwalbe’s AND slime tubes, the fear of trying to fix a flat in sb-freezing temps, while the sweat freezes me... Not a great feeling, and possibly very dangerous...

Pcyclo
    Hey slipspace, no worries mate! I did not feel offended, more like kind of embarrassed because I thought I wrote something funny or even stupid there *blush* so if that was not it, case closed

Windy today on both rides with light sprinkles. No need for the raingear yet. Tomorrow will be different though. Storm will pass through early afternoon with windgusts up to 60knots. Additionally approx 15hrs of continuous rain. Will probably ride in and keep the option open to take the bus home, if the wind hasnt calmed down later in the afternoon. Bike should be relatively safe in the plant complex. Rain jacket has new repellant on so that will be a good test :d

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice looking ride mrfixie!

Dutchman, your english is great, nothing to worry about with your post.

After several #fail route experiments, I finally found a 15 mile route to work that I like. Now I need to find one home.

My new office has a dedicated bike lockup cage two levels down in the parking garage. From there I walk up the stairs, over to the the health club to change/shower then back over to the building and go up the elevator to our office (it's 30 story building). I quickly tired of carrying my pannier full of my gear. Two days ago I walked over to the nearby REI and was browsing the panniers when I saw one of these:

https://www.rei.com/product/115450/o...QaApdjEALw_wcB

The pannier box had been opened and REI was offering it for 30% off so I grabbed it.

Two full commutes using the new pannier and here are my impressions:

- It's lighter than my current Ortlieb classic rolltop pannier
    - It's smaller than my Ortlieb classic pannier (narrower and taller), but I can still get all my clothes/gear into it.
    - It rides lower than my existing pannier and I am experiencing more heel strike.
    - The bottom rack clip that comes with it does not work on my rack. I just use the two top rack mounts and let the bottom move around. It has not been a problem so far and I can always bungie it if needed.
    - I LOVE that it converts into a backpack, very comfortable to walk around while wearing.
    - The backpack kit comes on and off very easily, and it stores in it's pocket with little fuss.

The main issues that keep me from calling it perfect are the slightly smaller size and the heel strike issue. Will give it more time/rides before making a final decision.

mtbr member
    Thanks Dutchman

You soon got that all sorted Woodway. Backpack looks great! I find my Ortliebs don't quite fit my pannier either but the bottom hook does at least go behind a stay even if it doesn't fix it solid. I have mis-fitted them on occasion and missed the hook and they dont go anywhere.

I think perhaps we have part of the same weather system Dutchman. Went out early to help my lad do something on his motorbike and it was chucking it down with rain and windy / squally. By the time I left the rain had stopped but it was still windy. Side and head on mostly. It was not too bad through the city and first few lanes with hedges but the last 4-5 miles are mostly just open and I was battered. Glad I was forced to ride though with the car still being out of action.

Pcyclo
    Rode today. Rain this morning, tested the new rainpants and jacket with new water repellant on it. Both performed very well. During the day the storm passed through. Although it was just 3hrs it was enough to stop train traffic in and around town because of blownover trees on the tracks. During lunchbreak a leaf was blown into my face and that actually hurt. It was dry and calm again at 5pm so I rode home. On the way home, I had to climb over/around 4 downed trees. Will take the folding saw tomorrow to take care of the smaller ones.

Pcyclo
    Nice backpack woodway. Have been looking at that one myself already but dont need a backpack so no need to buy another pannier.

Slipspace, may very well be that the storm passed through your place earlier. It came from the west-southwest where you are.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you may have had it worse than us if it was downing so many trees! The evening here ended up being quite still with a cloudless sky. Consequently the temperature dropped overnight so it was chilly this morning. Just the right kind of chilly for me though, where I could reach working temp but not sweat too much.

Some guy blasted past me on his bike as I was coming up to the footbridge this morning. I don't mind that but not a word from him. We exited the footbridge steps, I walk a little faster I guess as I was just behind him, and headed down hill under the railway a few hundred metres further on. He was messing about with his gears on the incline out the otherside so I passed him. He caught me again and sat on my wheel for the next mile and a half until I slowed for a junction which he just blew through. I think he tried to make more space and I tried to catch him, neither were successful. He then turned off a mile or so later. Not seen him before. And that is the most exciting my ride has been this week

CB of the East
    ^^So he was riding in your SlipSpace for a while...

Wow, where are all the people gone. This use to be a bustling community and now it is a little more like a ghost town. Maybe the trials of winter commuting will lure people back.

Good commute today. I'm taking it easy today because I have a century on Saturday and am attempting to "get 'er done" in under 5 hours. It is a pretty hilly course and there is a pretty stiff wind forecast so I don't know. I've never done a sub 5 century.

mtbr member
    ^ indeed he was

I think you and the Dutchman have been the stalwarts of the thread over the summer. Good on you both for keeping it going My own contributions have been somewhat sporadic and certainly a lot of the folk who were here a year ago are seldom seen or are gone

wishing you strong legs and fair weather for the century tomorrow!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Sub five hour century on a hilly course would be quite an achievement.

Gotta love "stupid commuter races" SlipSpace. I've participated in a few over the years myself. They break up the monotony of the daily commute.

I took the day off today (from commuting and work). Going mountain biking later when it warms up a bit! Have a good weekend everybody.

CB of the East
    ^^I plan on getting help. I did it with a group in 5.25 hours last year. There's about 6000' of climbing. Did I say Saturday, I meant Sunday. One full rest day in between. Forecast is up to 80F which is almost unheard of this time of year.

A day off for mountain biking, sounds great!

Pcyclo
    I went back some pages to see who was there regularly. Somehow, since CB and Newf left, its not the same here. Sockeyeus, Texan n Fla, NDD, Blockphi, Rodar Ghost Kleebs MTBx TenSpeed BrianMC jeffscott Harold ... you name it I miss it.

And Forster didnt even post pics of his new Ti bike yet!!!

Again lots of rain this morning. Was debating with myself whether to put on the windstopper or rain jacket, decided on windstopper, then sky opened up and put on the raingear. Rained pretty hard at some times and all the way. Halfway I met a collegue coming from the other side on a T intersection. He was riding in a softshell jacket and shorts!! And completely soaked of course. Rode the last stretch together and had a good chat before work. Ride home was better, stiff tailwind and sunny. Made a detour and picked up wife and son shortly before home. Rode home together, picked up 2nd son at his friend's place, then home

The storm yesterday was short but more severe than expected. Here in northern Germany at least 7 people died including a local politician from the Berlin city senate. Still lots of train interruptions today. Second storm already in which people die here. So far, Somehow the weather is going berserk this year.

mtbr member
    I am still reading here, but not riding much. So not much to post. I have a variable hours part time job that does not involve commuting as home is the base. It requires a car.

Pcyclo
    BrianMC

oh my TVC 15
    [QUOTE=cyclingdutchman;13367913]
    And Forster didnt even post pics of his new Ti bike yet!!!

QUOTE] Yup, sorry about that. Couldn't post it with the white brake hoods, just looked to goofy. I'll take a couple as soon as our rain quits.

Didn't commute once last week. We had thunderstorms with lightening every day but Wednesday and that morning my rear blinky had fallen off my camelback so I had to skip. There's no way to get to work without at least two miles of road and we just had a fatal crash (drunk driver during the day) but I knew my wife would be pissed if she found out that I even took the chance so I let better judgement overtake the need to ride.

oh my TVC 15
    Pretty straight forward build. The Lynskey folks had everything prepped and ready to go. Not a thread that needed cleaning although the bottom bracket was a little shy of 68mm. A 1.5mm spacer between the frame and bearing had everything in order. Added a pick of the sticker from last weekend's memorial ride. It was designed by one of Randy Gibson's graphics students. It's a keeper.How was your commute today?-pa071021.jpgHow was your commute today?-pa071022.jpg

Pcyclo
    @forster: now that you posted those pics I wish you hadnt. I want one too!!

oh my TVC 15
    Just got back from Menards where I snagged some stainless set screws. Perfect for filling those unused fender and rack mount holes. Should keep the crud out of the frame. I'll tell you, if I didn't have the parts to build it already, I'd have just bought one of their complete bikes on closeout. I'm not sure you could internet save your way to a cheaper comparable build.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I am still reading here, but not riding much. So not much to post. I have a variable hours part time job that does not involve commuting as home is the base. It requires a car.
    Sorry to hear that you aren't getting to ride much but glad you are still lurking!

Ditto. I'd love to replace my Cross Check with something like that.

The century ride was a success. I set out to do a sub-5 hour century and met my goal! We'll have to go with moving time since the ride was plagued with flats, myself included. (https://www.strava.com/activities/1221752720). The drafting sucked in the rain but it could have been much worse.

100 miles yesterday didn't keep me from commuting today. The bike was already disgusting and it was raining again this morning so what the heck. This is the first real rain we've had in about a month so I'm not complaining.

Pcyclo
    Congrats on your sub 5 century bedwards! I would probably fall off my bike before half the distance....

Chilly 3C this morning. First time this fall with buff and thin gloves but still without windstopper pants. Ride home was between two showers but managed to come home dry. Took the road both ways since I scouted the unpaved section yesterday, its still totally soaked and 2 trees still blocking the way.

Again two days of rain coming...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Impressive bedwards. At 5600+ ascent, that is not a flat century. I won't tell anyone about elapsed time if you don't. Well done.

CB of the East
    ^^Thanks, we don't have a lot of flat. I'm sure you don't either.

I bummed a ride last night from an office mate that was leaving at the same time as me, with a pickup truck that passes my driveway. It was pouring.

Today's ride in had some unintended cyclocross. Squeezed off the bike lane by a truck, I decided to ride across the "grass". Or fresh loam recently soaked by rain. Instantly muddy.
    How was your commute today?-unintended-cyclocross.jpg

mtbr member
    Forster, that is a nice looking machine, i'll join the list for 'I want one' too!

Bedwards, Great work on the century!

Dutchman, sounds like you're getting some bad weather over there, sunny and fine over this way.

CB of the East
    ^^I actually headed over to the Lanskey site to see what they had. There are a lot of very good closeouts there if they have something you like in your size. Very Good! Like this: https://lynskeyperformance.com/r240-...dy-size-large/ If they has something like this with fender mounts I might be buying it.

Pcyclo
    I have been looking at the light touring frame which is apparently a cooper cx with fender/rack mounts....

Unexpected dry on both rides today. Put the hardshell jacket on and had the rainpants strapped on the rack for immediate access but it wasnt necessary. Quick rides too today, averaged 21.6 kph which I normally do only in summer. (please dont laugh I know you guys are mostly faster....and it looks like kindergarten compared to bedwards sub5hr century....)

Slipspace: good weather from you apparently coming this way, seems to be really good this weekend. Hoping for a nice family ride already.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    OK everyone, it's time for the frozen toe commutes! This morning (as I pulled into the lot in my car) the thermometer read 25 degrees (that's Fahrenheit). That's quite cold, but I have the gear to handle it except for my toes.

I'm looking around and thinking these may do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S9D1FU4...=3R3BUPBP16YAW. Anyone with any experience commuting with these things in your boots? Frozen toes are the only thing I'm scared of, even with my new insulated biking shoes.

...and to include a commuting story. I rode in on Friday expecting cold and it was unseasonably warm. I must have looked like a stripper peeling off layers every time I stopped. I was, frankly, tempted to strip off my biking pants and put on the shorts I packed in my bag, but for the potential embarrassment of standing there at the side of the trail changing as someone walked up.

Pcyclo
    Those toe warmers can work but do you have enough space in your shoe for that? They look quite thick to me.

Managed to dodge the rain on both rides today. Its getting windy but dry the next days. Finally all the fallen trees are taken.away so all routes are available again. Unpaved part of my commute is very muddy though. Will get better now that we have more sun coming the next days.

CB of the East
    I've used the chemical toe warmers for really cold weather, below 0F. The do help some but I don't like the cost. (coming from a man that bought Lake 303 boots) They are pretty thin so they fit in your shoes as long as they aren't too tight. Which of course they aren't since you bought winter shoes and sized up for extra socks, right? They are also activated by air which they don't get a lot of inside your shoes so they don't heat up as much as the hand warmers. Pro-Tip, put them in zip lock bags with the air squeezed out to use them a few times.

I got a pinch flat on the way home last night, not sure why because I was riding easy. Patched the first hole. Nope. New tube got me home. Patched both holes and put the repaired tube back in. Nope. This morning it was flat again. As a co-worker put it to me...F the old tube. I totally agree. Took a different bike this morning and found what I think is the third life jacket along my route.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yes, I did size up when I bought the boots and there is plenty of room in the toe box for the warmers. ;-) I'm going to give them a shot when it drops to freezing and I'll report back. I can tell, based on rides, that the insulated boots won't be quite enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Miles View Post
    Yes, I did size up when I bought the boots and there is plenty of room in the toe box for the warmers. ;-) I'm going to give them a shot when it drops to freezing and I'll report back. I can tell, based on rides, that the insulated boots won't be quite enough.
    Are you running flat pedals or clips? With flats I usually don't need insulated shoes until around 20F, just nice wool socks around 25F with regular shoes. Of course everyone reacts differently to the weather, my body doesn't like the heat.

oh my TVC 15
    So, I'm loving the Lynskey Urbano. I did manage to CAT 6 myself this morning because I'm not used to the silhouette yet. I was riding along and the shadow of an unfamiliar bike was closing fast. I was already standing and shifting when I realized it was just another shadow cast by a car in the oncoming left turn lane. Sometimes I amuse myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Are you running flat pedals or clips? With flats I usually don't need insulated shoes until around 20F, just nice wool socks around 25F with regular shoes. Of course everyone reacts differently to the weather, my body doesn't like the heat.
    I ride with flats, but I have some foot issues that make it hard for me to tell when my feet are getting cold, so I tend to err on the side of caution. I put on the insulated boots in pretty much any weather colder than 40F, and struggle with cold feet around 30F. Of course, the key problem is that my commute is 90 minutes. I'm fine for 60 minutes, but that last 30 minutes is often touch and go when it's cold, hence the need for warmers.

mtbr member
    It was....dark. Car broke down so it was take your fat bike to work day! Averaged 14mph on the way home (10.2 miles) which is pretty good for me, especially since I couldnt get into my highest gear

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Been a beautiful week so far here and I have biked zero times. No sleeping properly so just damn tired all the time.

Maybe save the life jacket for sketchy lake crossings later in the year Bedwards....

CB of the East
    ^^Somebody mentioned that the last time I found one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    It was....dark. Car broke down so it was take your fat bike to work day! Averaged 14mph on the way home (10.2 miles) which is pretty good for me, especially since I couldnt get into my highest gear
    14MPH is flying on a fatbike!

Not much to report on the commute. The temps are heading down towards freezing.

My wife and I are taking tomorrow off to go to Kingdom Trails. It's rated one of the top 10 mountain biking trail networks on a lot of lists and I have never been.

Members who have read this thread: 187