Page 224 of 224 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224
Results 22,301 to 22,342 of 22342
    Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Good luck on the road race tomorrow bedwards. We will expect a full race report. If you podium you might be banned from MTBR

Good start bachman1961. You'll figure out what you need as you go. If you are going to be riding in the rain, a good set of full coverage fenders should be the first thing you look at. Then look at a good rain jacket, something to keep your feet dry and your hands warm. You'll get wet no matter what so as bedwards says having dry clothes to change into at work is key.

Came out this morning and my back tire was flat. Found a piece of tire radial wire embedded. Easy fix. Uneventful pedal to work.

So we have now gone something like 54 days without measurable rain here in the Seattle area, breaking the all-time record. The media is in their usual hyperbole uproar over it. I think it's fantastic. The rain will return soon enough.

Happy weekend everyone.

CB of the East
    Finally we are not on the page with my popped tire staring me in the face every time I come here.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Good luck on the road race tomorrow bedwards. We will expect a full race report. If you podium you might be banned from MTBR
    Will do, probably not a chance of that.
    something to keep your feet dry
    In my experience that is simply not possible.

Pcyclo
    Got up early and after checking the weather radar I made a panic start to stay ahead of the rain. In the end I cleared it by about half an hour so the rush wouldnt have been necessary. Ride home was wet, I dont know whether it was heavy drizzle or light rain. The water repellant stuff on my jacket held up though so it was not an issue. Must have looked strange: Bright neon yellow jacket, rain pants and bare feet in sandals

Good luck for your race bedwards! And you are still welcome here, at least in my eyes.

F4S: Did all the good vibes sent to your wife help?

Next week my son is joining a circus camp during the day, will have to drive every day for dropping off / picking up. An entire week of no riding Any tipps on how to survive that ??

Pcyclo
    @Bachman:
    Welcome! Missed your post at first.
    Before we can give you a hint - in what climate do you live? Mostly dry, wet, in winter cold or wet? Work in field, mech shop or office?
    Some general hints: Simply start riding and soon you will start to think "hmmm it would be nice to have ..... " and there you go

36Miles:
    Welcome here too! Pic looks pretty good, especially the mountains in the background are looking good. Over here it is so flat that it is common to say, that when you leave home in the morning you can see your destination for the evening already.

We went puddle racing with the Kids today since it rained a while.
    Some pics:
    https://goo.gl/photos/M96wNhPzez2Zcg8WA
    I urgently need to fix some fenders to the stryder bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post

F4S: Did all the good vibes sent to your wife help?
    She thinks everything went really well, but we won't really know until sometime next week probably if they are going to offer her the position. I'm cautiously optimistic, she is very good at what she does.

I also told the universe I'd like to cash in any karma I've accumulated from returning a half dozen cell phones, plus some other items like credit cards and drivers licenses to their rightful owners that I've found on my commute.

I'll certainly let you guys know when I know, it's just a waiting game now.

CB of the East
    No worries. 4th! Read all about it here. The Candid Cyclist: Tour De Lovell 2017
    Great way to start my vacation! No commuting for me this week!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    36Miles:
    Welcome here too! Pic looks pretty good, especially the mountains in the background are looking good. Over here it is so flat that it is common to say, that when you leave home in the morning you can see your destination for the evening already.

We went puddle racing with the Kids today since it rained a while.
    Some pics:
    https://goo.gl/photos/M96wNhPzez2Zcg8WA
    I urgently need to fix some fenders to the stryder bike
    Thanks cyclingdutchman. I commuted a little last year, once a week. This year I'm hoping to do twice, and also to do it a bit further into the winter. Just got to find cold weather shoes... stupid cold feet. Nothing stays warm after the first hour of my commute once it gets below 30 F. It's nice to come here and see everyone's commuting stories.

PS. That puddle racing looks fun. I generally try to ride around them when on my commute in the rain. ;-)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    No worries. 4th! Read all about it here. The Candid Cyclist: Tour De Lovell 2017
    Nice race report, congrats! Have a great vacation.

Co Springs
    ^^Like Nike says, Just Do It. Maybe pick one of the bikes and put road tires on it. If you've been commuting by motorcycle you are use to some of the weather issues. Having a change of clothes at work is key!
    Thank you. Yes, the motorbike rides have not been bad at all. I won't start a ride in the rain and my exposure (ride time) is about 10 - 12 minutes. Will have almost 3 times that travel time on the bicycle but I'm good with watching weather and tracking the radar images/direction.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Pcyclo
    Nice report bedwards. 4th place is a very respectable result, thumbs up!!

I hope the racers were friendly to each other during the race?

Today I watched the iron man triathlon here in hamburg and in 45min of watching I have seen several cases of athletes bullying at each other. Not very sportive but I guess it happens when there is much at stake..nn

IH, HYHT.
    Today I watched the iron man triathlon here in hamburg and in 45min of watching I have seen several cases of athletes bullying at each other. Not very sportive but I guess it happens when there is much at stake..nn
    I used to shoot competitively and always thought it was odd that the matches where there were prizes to be won (the Bianchi Cup, Camp Perry...) always seemed more cordial than matches where first place was a belt buckle.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    In my experience that is simply not possible.
    These actually do a decent job for me. And I ride in the rain a lot

https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...nt=27453845701

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Well done! Your off-road skills helpful in avoiding the crash?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Road the cruiser in today. Interesting, slow, but fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

mtbr member
    Commutes have been great lately, especially today. Was only 93 degrees on the way home, in August, the middle of summer, in Vegas, crazy! Went for an extra couple miles after work it felt so good.

That video is funny and it worked, I don't see that many people on my commute all year!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Uh oh now I have to watch a bunch of bike lane videos!

2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

IH, HYHT.
    No commute today, but I knocked out a quick 17 miles of gravel after work to knock the cobwebs out. Missed yesterday too. Got up at 4am to ride the whole way in 17.5 miles, but thunderstorms were rolling through. I'll trade 35 miles of riding to avoid being killed by lightening.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Co Springs
    No go last night but had two nights/mornings back to back.

I'm easing into it since my norm for riding is typically a few days between rides and my neck / shoulders need to get warmed in (probably) over a few rides. I required a bit more sleep yesterday as well and cut short my commute time accordingly.

Excuses Excuses

Pics:
    -Bike at work
    -Almost home; Morning commute 6:50 am
    -With trailer; Testing the route/ride a few days earlier and hauling in some extra work clothes and stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-20170813_230235_resized.jpg  

How was your commute today?-2017-08-15-00.32.52_resized.jpg  

How was your commute today?-thumbnail_20170810_160537_1502442331139_resized.jpg  

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Uh oh now I have to watch a bunch of bike lane videos!

Cool, that video shows the apartment building where I grew up. In the 70's you could walk or bike across the Brooklyn Bridge and only see a handful of people.

mtbr member
    I'm on my 3rd rear wheel for the year. The first one had a rim split in the middle. The second was warped terribly. The third wheel has a super quiet rear hub, which is kind of weird. If this wheel goes out, I'll have to take the one to the shop to get trued (I couldn't get it straight) or rob the wheel from my wife's bike. After that, I'll have no other wheels that will fit. This whole pumping flat ground thing and turning drills I've been doing on my lunch breaks might be to blame. Part of me just wants to buy another cheap SS.

mtbr member
    Great photos Cyclingdutchman! I love watching my children riding through puddles. It's always a good reminder to quit worrying about the grime and just enjoy the ride.
    18" rigid Unit

Pcyclo
    Change of plans for this week and I could ride today. Thunderstorms with rain passed through during the night, so it was quite warm and wet this morning. High humitiy too, some haze and wet grass.

The way home was full of chatter. Met a collegue at the plant gate who was waiting for another collegue to go roadbiking. During chatting the 2nd collegue joined and chatted along. Once they left, I met a 3rd collegue on her cute pink road bike and we rode the first half together. Showed her an alternative quieter route while we chatted and I had to pedal like mad to keep up with her. The 2nd half of my commute I rode alone but had the usual conversations on the way home on the unpaved section:
    me: ping ping
    me: PING PING
    me: slowing down to not run him over
    he: oh why dont you ring a bell young man?!
    me: I did! twice!
    he: Oh sorry, I dont hear very well anymore
    me: Yeah I noticed. No problem I am not in a hurry!
    he: thanks for your understanding! Bye!
    me: No problem at all! Have a nice evening sir, bye!
    Around the corner:
    me: Ping ping
    she: (jumping aside scared as sh!t)
    me: hey no worries its just me
    she: oh you scared me anyway
    me: not necessary! I dont bark, bite or whatever. I just would like to pass without accidents and without scaring you.
    she: oh (laughing). Bye!
    me: bye and have an ice evening!

At least nobody is chatting my ears off in the mornings... ;o))

Pcyclo
    Here in Germany a biker like in the video wouldnt get far before getting punched in the face...I am glad I live on the edge of town and have more quiet route. I really doubt if I would ride there..

Pcyclo
    Thank you BMF! Yeah I love to see those faces, they always look so happy. I myself always feel like a little boy too when it rains and I dont avoid puddles, but ride through them myself ( but I have made 5XL fenders on my bike....like here:
    https://goo.gl/photos/Zd6SZm37qks9mTu87 )

Co Springs
    @Bachman:
    Welcome! Missed your post at first.
    Before we can give you a hint - in what climate do you live? Mostly dry, wet, in winter cold or wet? Work in field, mech shop or office?
    Some general hints: Simply start riding and soon you will start to think "hmmm it would be nice to have ..... " and there you go.
    Sorry, missed this too, lol. Thanks and here in Colorado, we get wide variations sometimes within hours. I do pretty well at tabs on the forecast. I'm in engineering / power plant, blue uniforms. Not dress shirt or tie required. This is our moisture season and cooling nights.... I go in at 2200 and done at 0630.

Pcyclo
    I guess you have locker rooms available? That would be a big plus.

I myself have settled on riding in casual office clothes below the waist and mostly bike clothing above the waist. That means polyester or merino shirt with windstopper jacket. Extra layers when its cold, shoecovers and hardshells when it rains.

I only have my own wardrobe in the office where I have 3 clothes hangers. Thats enough for me to dry t shirt, jacket and pants when necessary.

My bike is fully equipped for everything, dynamo hub with lights, fenders and racks with a waterproof pannier. Others swear on roadbikes with a backpack, an mtb with slicks, pick what you have/like.

Last but not least: stop studying, start riding. You will get there and will settle on a personal favorite setup.

Pcyclo
    Last ride of the week today. Ride in was nice and easy. Ride home was the same just that it rained. Just a few drops at first but gradually turned into pouring rain. At 22C I decided to be wet rather than being boiled in the hardshells.

A bad week for me when it comes to cycling. Rode only 2 of 5 working days. From another point of view, that are 2 days more as originally planned so not bad at all

Pcyclo
    @bachman: just see your steed, looks good! Like especially the color

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anytime I start to feel delusional enough to think I'm a strong rider, I only need a hill to climb on my loaded cargo bike to remind me I am a mere mortal.

IH, HYHT.
    Weirdest find of the season, a brand new toilet rebuild kit still in the package (with a big crack right in the middle of it) - Dang.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Absolute minimal commuting for the last month. I think I rode to work a total of 5 times, maybe less. Still cranking out miles when I can. Switched Jimmy John's to the downtown one which is a 9 mile ride door to door. Average about 28 miles on days that I deliver but am only working on my days off. The tips are well worth it because I traded the student ghetto and campus for government and law offices. Will be working at the bike shop a lot because the students are coming back so the commuting will commence again because it will be a 2 job day and paying to park doesn't work for me.

Doing an organized urban century with a buddy on Saturday over in Detroit. Should be a good time.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Co Springs
    @bachman: just see your steed, looks good! Like especially the color
    Thank you.
    So-called adventure / trail bike via steel frame and 650b+ . The old man in me is loving the mellow tires and ride, came from 26 x 2.2 alum Kona. Not normally a jazzy look-at-me-color guy but the bike was the bike I wanted after doing some digging and I'm getting used to the color just fine.
    * Found some ladies nail polish to use as touch-up paint too !

I guess you have locker rooms available? That would be a big plus.

I myself have settled on riding in casual office clothes below the waist and mostly bike clothing above the waist. That means polyester or merino shirt with windstopper jacket. Extra layers when its cold, shoecovers and hardshells when it rains.

I only have my own wardrobe in the office where I have 3 clothes hangers. Thats enough for me to dry t shirt, jacket and pants when necessary.

My bike is fully equipped for everything, dynamo hub with lights, fenders and racks with a waterproof pannier. Others swear on roadbikes with a backpack, an mtb with slicks, pick what you have/like.

Last but not least: stop studying, start riding. You will get there and will settle on a personal favorite setup.
    Yes, I'm happy to have a few rides down now. No problem with storing uniforms and changing here as necessary. Really looking forward to the cooler fall weather that will be here soon too. Not sure if I'll participate in the commute if it's really warm to hot temps but the plus side is I come in at night.
    Thanks for the tips. Got two dry bags set up with wind pants and jacket or wet weather gear, pants-jacket. Figure I need to be adaptable and enjoy the adventures as they come.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Anytime I start to feel delusional enough to think I'm a strong rider, I only need a hill to climb on my loaded cargo bike to remind me I am a mere mortal.
    Do I know that-

I recently added a kiddo trailer to my collection of things that fill the garage so only one car fits. When I hook the grandkid up to tow around, the rolling momentum actually feels good, yet the slightest incline tugs at me as if I were hauling a modular home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Do I know that-

I recently added a kiddo trailer to my collection of things that fill the garage so only one car fits. When I hook the grandkid up to tow around, the rolling momentum actually feels good, yet the slightest incline tugs at me as if I were hauling a modular home.
    My story exactly right now. Replaced my backpack with panniers and the bike feels like a pig going up hill.

Updated: but, of course, I feel like I can fly when the panniers are off, and my legs seem stronger after just two long rides with the extra weight. ;-)
    Last edited by 36Miles; 2 Days Ago at 05:53 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Soaking wet on the way in - downpours, ginormous puddles, and cascades from passing cars. Good times! Most of my stuff did not dry out, so I was glad I had some spare stuff in my file drawer for the ride home.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Century complete - that was difficult. Have ridden a few centuries already, but those were on back country roads with minimal traffic and almost no stop lights. This was an organized century, in the city of Detroit. Started early as we headed out of the city, the police had roads blocked off because 200+ cyclists tearing down the street. The pack quickly thinned out as we headed over near Canada onto Belle Isle and watched a really nice sunrise over the lake. Some really beautiful scenery for the first 50 miles as we went along the lake in some of the richest neighborhoods in Michigan. We also saw some of the most burned down and destroyed parts of Detroit, the part that everyone thinks of when they hear "Detroit." It is not all like that as we found out yesterday. The further along we went, the worse the roads became. The markings and signage for most of it were alright, but some were absolutely terrible, causing several people to get lost, my friend and I included.

Leaving the rest stop at mile 82 for us, I flatted. No worries, I can change one pretty quickly. My hand pump sucks, and it felt like I could only get it to about 80-85 psi. This was very sketchy as the roads were not the greatest and a pinch flat had me worried. Last rest stop had us limping up as they were closing up, luckily a bike repair truck was there, and they got me up to 115. The rest of the ride back to the finish line was absolutely miserable. Huge headwinds, and nothing but red lights as far as the eye could see. My friend rode his fixed gear track bike, and I know he was miserable with the stopping and starting. As the last red light turned green, he almost fell over trying to start, legs were just spent. We made it back, exhausted and mentally shut down, both of us. We had a quiet lunch and just reflected on how much the first 50 was a blast, and the last 58 sucked the life out of us.

Moving time: 6:36:12
    Miles: 108.5
    Average: 16.4 mph
    Elevation: 679 feet. It is flat here, really flat

We completed the 100 miles at just under 6 hours moving time according to my Garmin EDGE 810. I had reminders set at 50 miles and at 3 hour increments. The first 50 miles had us at an average of nearly 18.5 mph or so. It really fell apart when we got lost at mile 62 and had to back track just throwing us off.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

IH, HYHT.
    No commute today or tomorrow. Recovering from the Gravel Worlds Privateer race yesterday. First Gravel race ever, not in shape, hilly course and hot. I have all the excuses lined up. Still, finishing a 75 mile ride on the Fargo in hills and gravel in 6:22 (6:01 on the bike) isn't my worst ride ever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

My wife didn't get the job. They didn't pick someone else, they just said they were going to keep looking. Pretty bummed, and kind of annoyed they put her through so much effort. Slight silver lining is I think she made a couple good contacts over there, so that may help in the future. Thanks to all for the good vibes, hopefully something else comes along soon.

Pcyclo
    Congrats on the long rides TS and forster!

Too bad f4s they must be very picky....

Big breakthrough here: first commute ever for #2! Rode 2km/1.3m to kindergarten on the balance bike. Not bad for 2.5y old I guess. Let him ride only because the route is very safe, quiet mup only with 1 road crossing.

No commute for me the next weeks, on leave until early september. We will be in the netherlands for 12 days and we are taking the bikes and trailer with us, so maybe some nice bikepath pics to drool over when I am back.

Oh and we made a nice family ride yesterday. had #2 in the kiddyseat on the back of my bike and #1 rode the entire 16km/10m himself on his 20" converted mtb: with fenders, rear rack and 55mm schwalbe big apples. He was going off like a rocket and after the ride he had enough energy left to go to the playground for an hour or so. Didnt take long to fall asleep in the evening though...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Good job TenSpeed and Forster!

Bummer F4S. She will find something.

Have a good vacation dutchman, post up come pics.

No commute for me today, I am at my place east of the Cascades in Central Washington watching the eclipse (happening right now). We are not in the totality path but should get about 95% coverage. We are at about 50% right now and it's noticably dimmer outside...

CB of the East
    OK, back to the grind

Tenspeed, that sounds like a rough one. I've had some centuries end like that. Not the traffic but the exhaustion.
    Nice report bedwards. 4th place is a very respectable result, thumbs up!!

I hope the racers were friendly to each other during the race?

Yes, appropriately supportive and cutthroat at the same time. I talked with one of the 3 in the lead for a while after the race. I'm surprised that there was bullying at the Ironman. At the lower levels of Ironman competitiveness they are a very supportive bunch.

These actually do a decent job for me. And I ride in the rain a lot

https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...nt=27453845701
    Good to know. The next time I decide to try something I'll try them. I have some Castelli ones now that are neoprene and got great ratings but they seem to be more like a sponge than a barrier.
    Well done! Your off-road skills helpful in avoiding the crash?
    I knew that riding over the road island would be easier than riding over people!

Cool on the eclipse viewing! We were 65% or so which was noticeably not as bright but you almost couldn't tell. I did make a pinhole camera to check it out. Looked like a crescent moon.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Soaking wet on the way in - downpours, ginormous puddles, and cascades from passing cars. Good times! Most of my stuff did not dry out, so I was glad I had some spare stuff in my file drawer for the ride home.
    Oh Yeah! We were camping in that. It was pouring buckets at times but that was only 1 day. Otherwise camping was great. I even got in some biking. (Surprise!) This was a fun ride.

Members who have read this thread: 196