Page 224 of 607 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 234 274 324 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 15174
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Doing my first double-header commute today (ride in and out). The ride in this morning was really nice - bit cold, but the sun came out and there was little to no wind. Riding down the gorge is a different proposition to going up. I might need some beefier brakes. The best part was seeing all the other cyclists around doing their commutes. I got to one set of lights in the CBD and there was probably ten of us lined up.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Definitely working some different muscles. I'm feeling it.
    Oh Yeah! I ride 100-200 miles every week. I ran one stinking mile on the treadmill on Friday and my shins are still sore.

I had to take the car on Friday and realized it wasn't running right. It'll probably cost more to get it fixed than a new bike. (Note that I am rationalizing my bike spending here)

This morning's commute was back to normal, 35 degree weather.It was windy but it seemed to be with me most of the way.

weirdo
    Haha! I just saw this on another forum. Love it!
    Bike Butterfly - YouTube
    The biggest problem is that once people see it, they`ll probably be MORE likely to jump into his way just to watch the result

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Better late than never, eh? Did my first bike commute of the year today. Beautiful morning, decent temps. It's 14 1/2 miles and I've only made it in under an hour once. Felt like a leisurely ride and did it in 1:05. That's also factoring in sitting through 2 LONG cycles at a traffic light that didn't change when it should have. And then the power was out at work when I got here...I was thinking, damn, I could have ridden more!

I Ride for Donuts
    Love the bike butterfly
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by adinar View Post
    Better late than never, eh?
    Yes! Welcome in, Adinar.

I had my first crash in about two years today. No damage to the bike and only minor road rash to one elbow, so can`t complain. I was trying out the dirt capabilities of 20 x 2.0 Big (Little?) Apples on my folder. Went though a small gully on hard packed dirt surface with a washout at the bottom, where the road transitions sharply from down to up, made an attempt to bunny hop/wheel lift as I hit the washout, but I didn`t get high enough and endoed. I`m pretty sure I would have managed with no excitement on my beastie with 26 x 1.75s. On the bright side, the Apples do float better than the 1.5s (Duh!) On another road that I previously tried on the same bike, I stopped a few times to compare today`s tracks with the tracks I made a few days ago, and can see that the fat tracks were much shallower than the skinny tracks. Fat and skinny, relative to each other, of course.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Holy crap cold! 36 this morning but down to 29 tonight with a big windchill.
    Holy crap windy! 20-30 Gusting to 40, 50? Hard to make headway speed.

mtbr member
    rode in with the wind this morning, not bad. rode against it all the way home. sucked. i liked last week a lot better. 70 to 80 i'll take it! back to normal temps i guess

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Holy crap cold! 36 this morning but down to 29 tonight with a big windchill.
    Holy crap windy! 20-30 Gusting to 40, 50? Hard to make headway speed.
    Crazy windy here too, but not so "balmy"; 23F this a .m. and 14 forecast for tonight. Also a half inch of snow overnight, it made for a pretty ride.

On Friday much of the reservoir was still frozen, but the winds broke it up by today, despite the chill.

Pix from Friday and today...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p3261703%5B1%5D.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p3231689%5B1%5D.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p3231686%5B1%5D.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p3231693%5B1%5D.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p3231701%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    holy crap, rear-mount child seats will totally grab your ankle when you try to swing your leg over. fun when rolling, but on and off is a bit of a rolling challenge.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Love the bike butterfly
    Cute. But the rabid anti-gay crowd here would beat the living daylights out of a cyclist and ask questions later. OTH pedestrians don't seem to have the right of way here so I could claim I was distracted and just leave tread marks to remind them to look next time.

Hope to ride tomorrow. Some beautiful weather lately and I felt too sick to ride or had garden duty and no energy left.

BrianMc

Bicycle Addict
    Love the bike butterfly
    Haha is that thing real?
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Pix from Friday and today...
    Brrr! That looks friggin cold!
    At least Tommy seems to have warmed things up a bit with his show

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    holy crap, rear-mount child seats will totally grab your ankle when you try to swing your leg over.
    I believe it. Probably very similar to forgetting the stoker`s bar when I try to swing my leg over our tandem.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Great pics as always MBTX.

You wouldn't want to do cyclocross on a bike with a child seat or a tandem then. Those obstacles would be a pain.

Another windy ride in but not as bad as last night. Colder, about 15 but I was dressed for it. Not like last night when it was supposed to be 45.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice looking group of turkeys, mtbx. I saw a wild turkey in my neighbor's yard last week. It was a rare sight in my suburban neighborhood. It was being chased by someone's cat.

The commute in this morning felt chilly. It was only 42F, but our lows have been in the upper 50s or higher for a few weeks now. I actually had to wear long sleeves and knee warmers. The ride home should still be in the 70s.

Moderator Moderator
    I don't know which was worse this morning - the indoor or the outdoor temperature:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p3271718.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts
    Dang! Build a fire!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    "THUMP, THUMP, THUMP" was what I was feeling as I rode home last night. I hopped off my bike to see what was up when I noticed that the sidewall of my back tire was buldging! Deflated it and made sure that the bead was OK. Reset the tire and inflated it again...same buldge. Tire was in the process of failing and I was still 12 miles from home. Rode gingerly and made it home OK. Installed a new tire, smooth ride this morning.

I ride Conti Gatorskins, and I usually get close to 5000 miles out of a rear tire. I only got 3000 out of the tire I replaced. Hope it's not a trend.

mtbr member
    Finally took the studded tires off. Forgot I wasnīt on them and crashed twice, skin heals but my clothing doesnīt :-(

That Bike Butterfly thing is pretty funny!
    My car has a Park

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatroXcuatro View Post
    Finally took the studded tires off. Forgot I wasnīt on them and crashed twice, skin heals but my clothing doesnīt :-(

That Bike Butterfly thing is pretty funny!
    Yup we got about an inch of ice covered by about 1/2inch of snow this morning....I got an extra pair of wheels so no need to make the big conversion anymore.

I Ride for Donuts
    I am pleased to announce the arrival of the new frame/fork. Just in time for spring break next week.

mtbr member
    ^ is the Ogre replacing your dropbar Access, or your other one?

I still haven't converted my winter bike back into summer mode. The rear studded tire has a slow leak and it needs some new sealant, but I refuse to add any because I'll hopefully be swapping the tires this weekend.

I Ride for Donuts
    Yes, the dropbar access... really just a frame/fork swap. Most everything will just move over.

Huckin' trails
    So today I officially put back to sleep my snow bike. Harvested the suspension parts, front wheel and stem to rebuild my trail bike, coming out of hibernation today.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!