Page 224 of 417 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 234 274 324 ... LastLast
Results 11,151 to 11,200 of 20839
    mtbr member
    Well, we're back from Acadia. We really liked it up there. Camped 2 nights and stayed in a hotel 3. I was happy we went this time of year instead of mid-summer, most kids are back in school so it wasn't very crowded at all. I can't stand crowds, especially in places like national parks that should be calm and relaxing.

We ended up riding all four of the full days we were there, which was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting to ride 2-3 days. Another surprise was that my mother and her boyfriend ended up being up there two of the days, so we spent a bit of time with them, including one of the rides.

The first day we got a bit lost. We tried riding from the campsite to some of the carriage roads, but the ones we ended up at said no bikes allowed. My wife got a bit frustrated due to a large hill and I thought she was going to kill me, but we ended up finding our way. We did the loop around Day Mountain and rode up the mountain. I was shocked she volunteered to try it, but she made it, I was proud of her.

Second day we did a loop around Eagle Lake and Jordan Pond. We tried parking at Bubble Pond but the lot was closed, so we parked half a mile up the road. Ended up being a 13+ mile ride. That was my favorite Carriage road ride.

Third day I rode alone from the Jordan Pond House up to the summit of Cadillac Mountain. I would have ridden further, but my wife was just hanging out at Jordan Pond House while I rode, so I didn't want to take too long. Also, our phones didn't work in most of the park so I didn't want her to worry, she always does. I loved this ride. The grade was such that I could find a good pace and ride it the whole way up. I rode up the whole mountain without touching my granny gear (34/32). I took it slow on the way down, my canti brakes are awful. I'm going to get some Kool Stop pads at the LBS tomorrow and clean my wheels. I wish I had my road bike for the descent. It was an awesome road for a fast ride down. I recorded the ride with MyTrax:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...1627ca38b8321e

Created by Google My Tracks on Android.

Name: Cadillac Mtn 9/20/13
    Activity type: -
    Description: -
    Total distance: 24.50 km (15.2 mi)
    Total time: 1:12:39
    Moving time: 1:12:17
    Average speed: 20.23 km/h (12.6 mi/h)
    Average moving speed: 20.34 km/h (12.6 mi/h)
    Max speed: 45.00 km/h (28.0 mi/h)
    Average pace: 2.97 min/km (4.8 min/mi)
    Average moving pace: 2.95 min/km (4.7 min/mi)
    Fastest pace: 1.33 min/km (2.1 min/mi)
    Max elevation: 440 m (1444 ft)
    Min elevation: 43 m (141 ft)
    Elevation gain: 508 m (1668 ft)
    Max grade: 8 %
    Min grade: -10 %
    Recorded: 09/20/2013 11:23AM

Last day we rode around Jordan Pond with my mother and her boyfriend. They rented hybrids. It was a SLOW ride, I got a little bored by the end, but at least it was nice out and the scenery was great.

We also enjoyed the food in Bar Harbor quite a bit. We ate breakfast at 2 Cats (great food, but it was VERY overpriced. $41 for 2 people), dinner at Blaze (Dogfish Head Punkin and Founder's Breakfast Stout on tap...mmmmm...) one night and Side Street Cafe the second. We all loved Side Street, I'd go back there in a heartbeat!

Overall, a great trip. I can't wait to go back!

Not sure how to insert the attached images into the message, so here's the descriptions:

1) Me on the road up Day Mtn (with a crooked helmet)
    2) My wife on her way up Day Mtn
    3) Wife again, looking miserable climbing
    4) Me at the top of Cadillac Mtn (crooked helmet again, I tightened it this morning)
    5) The wife on a carriage road at the intersection near Jordan Pond House
    6) Wife at the campsite
    7) Campsite again

PS - The cheap-ass Nashbar tires I bought for my wife's bike worked wonderfully.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-acadia1.jpg  

How was your commute today?-acadia2.jpg  

How was your commute today?-acadia3.jpg  

How was your commute today?-acadia4.jpg  

How was your commute today?-acadia5.jpg  

How was your commute today?-acadia6.jpg  

How was your commute today?-acadia7.jpg  

Last edited by Straz85; 09-23-2013 at 01:10 PM.

CB of the East
    Oh, it makes me want to head in that direction with the bikes. I haven't done that climb up Cadillac in a long time.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Well Jordy - you should be happy today, eh? It's snowing. And snowing nicely. Don't think it'll stick around, but I think that in the next week or so I'll be able to go to the mountains and get some early season snowboarding in. Hopefully anyway.

Good ride in this AM. Was just about perfect for layers in the valley, a bit chilly once I got to Anchorage, but that could be from being on the overheated bus, or just the fact that it's snowing...
    Oh, you know i'm happy!!!

Wet, snowy commute this late morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Oh, you know i'm happy!!!

Wet, snowy commute this late morning.
    I guess I'm going to have to think about getting the Nates put on here real soon...

I'm actually quite excited for the winter to come this year as well. Not sure why. When it's 20 below and my snot's freezing I might be singing a different story. For me there is just so much space that opens up for exploring up in the valley once it freezes over. The hayflats looks like it could be some awesome exploring once it freezes. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice to be back on the street cruiser for the commute, even though I only took the Cog one day last week. Wheel held up even with two broken spokes. Wore a thermal under my work shirt for the ride in today. While I'm pretty good at tolerating the heat, I'm sort of a baby when it comes to the cold. Busted out the thermal in the low sixties. Ride home was mid-eighties. Even after servicing the rear hub this weekend, had nasty noises coming from the drivetrain the whole ride home. Then I realized that I'd forgotten to lube my super clean chain.

Welcome back, Rodar and Starz. Nice pictures. Hang in there, MileHigh. Hate what this weather is doing to some many across this nation. . .

mtbr member
    Saw a porcupine on the way home tonight. I know they exist yearround (since they're certainly not migrating great distances) but I only ever see them in the fall. They're such cute little pincushions.

weirdo
    I forgot to mention the mountain south of town had a dusting of snow on top yesterday. Tonight was pretty chilly too, but I was warm and cozy on my ride home (see confesional).

Bedwards, you`re a machine! A passive competetive machine, of course.

Sweet, Straz! We loved the carriage roads, and the food too. Nice that you got a lot of solitude out there in the late season- not a lot of leaf peepers, I take it?. Did the camping get cold?

And Woodway, you take all the imagination out of the picture when you do that
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Sweet, Straz! We loved the carriage roads, and the food too. Nice that you got a lot of solitude out there in the late season- not a lot of leaf peepers, I take it?. Did the camping get cold?
    It's a couple weeks early for foliage. Only a few trees were changing. It was unseasonably warm when we were there, almost hit 80 on Friday. Got down to the low 50's at night. Not bad at all.

mtbr member
    Grumble, grumble, rant, rant... this morning started off in the worst way possible. Went out to put the bags on the bike and as I roll it out the rear tire is flat. It's 4:45 and I have to be out the door in three minutes in order to make the bus in time. I change the tube in no time flat, but the wife insists on driving me to the bus stop. I load up the bike and we are out the door at 5:52. By 5:56 I'm at the 1.5 mile mark of the ride and decide that I'm going to ride the rest of the way. Would hate to get to Anchorage and realize that there's a problem. So I ride the rest of the way to the bus and everything shakes out the way it should, other than a slightly dragging brake (Danged horizontal drop-outs - I mean really - do I need to adjust the brakes every time I look at the dang thing wrong? - Tug nuts here I come). The coolest part of the commute, though was getting to see the Aurora. My wife thought it was moonlight reflecting off the clouds, but no, it was definitely aurora. I was glad I got to share that with her - even if it was from the confines of our car.

The Anchorage leg was uneventful. A bit chilly. Still trying to dial in the layers and such.

mtbr member
    No commuting this week cause i finally took a vacation. Im planning on riding to the gym but i find myself being lazy and might just drive the 20m round trip

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It was going very well until my headtube decided to separate from the rest of my bike.
    Buster Bluth. Yiddish for "seeker of toilets"

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Back in the saddle after taking some time off for the last big mountain biking trip of the year. The trip culminated with a climb up the Angels Staircase, the highest singletrack we can ride here in Washington State at about 8,100 feet. Here is the view from the top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    A pretty uneventful commute in and back. Just the way I like it. Glad fall is here now.

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Back in the saddle after taking some time off for the last big mountain biking trip of the year. The trip culminated with a climb up the Angels Staircase, the highest singletrack we can ride here in Washington State at about 8,100 feet. Here is the view from the top.

Wow and double wow!! What a view!

Beamed from my dumbphone

CB of the East
    Thanks mtbxplorer!! I barely mentioned it yet!

I took the new pony out to play on this morning's commute and it wanted to run hard. It bucked my coffee mug out of the cage twice (RIP) but luckily I hung on. If I didn't need to keep stopping to dig my mug out of the dirt I would have caught 2 different cars on the camp roads. Maybe I can find the missing pieces tomorrow in the daylight.

Woodway, way to make people with normal mountains jealous! Great pic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Not normal, let's call them "well aged". Yeah, that sounds better :-)

I've been posting way too much bad stuff about my commute lately. Last night, a lady drifted right in front of me almost taking me out. She then slowed down due to traffic and I saw her looking down at her phone, not at the road. I of course flipped her off, because I'm incapable of letting stuff go (maybe I should read that thread about letting stuff go....). I was expecting her to drive past me and yell at me, throw something at me, etc. A bunch of cars passed, including ones that were behind her so I figured I was in the clear and she had turned. Then several miles later she passed me. She slows down next to me, pulls out the iPhone and takes a picture of me. I'm now expecting her husband to run me off the road with his F-350, I'm actually legitimately nervous. I took the other route to work this morning. She probably just took the picture of me to freak me out (it worked) or to go show her redneck friends the guy in the spandex on the light blue bike and laugh at me. Ugh.

On a positive note, I took a route I haven't used in months today and it was completely uneventful, not so much as a close call. Haven't had a day like that in a while.

*sigh*

Natural Born Killer
    Our morning temps have been pretty spastic, 46 degrees yesterday, 60 this morning. We've also started getting a little rain again so I've got to get myself back in the habit of checking the weather reports regularly.
    On a separate note, the receptionist at the front desk where I work stopped me this morning when I came in the building and asked me where I ride from. After I told her she said "Oh I see you all the time, you have those blinking lights". I thanked her for not running me over. Which just reinforced for me that a lot of these people that pass me everyday are probably friends and neighbors (okay, I really don't have any friends); no point in flipping them off. That's why I've adopted the "aggressive arm gesture", not as blatant as flipping them off but I still get to vent and express my displeasure. I also don't have to be concerned about someone hunting me down later. I do admit that I don't have nearly as many brushes with death as some of you. Yesterday I really wanted to chase down an older gentleman who decided it was necessary to lay on the horn just as he passed me. I just wanted to know what was running through his mind. I just gave him an arm gesture instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Got buzzed by some jackhole in a Pontiac Solstice this morning who couldn't be arsed to move out a bit more on a completely empty 2-lane road, about half a mile down the street from his/her house. Shouted some curses, as expected they probably didn't hear any of it.

Bedwards Of The West
    There are no normal mountains in the east
    But that is a sweet pic!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    It was going very well until my headtube decided to separate from the rest of my bike.
    Gonna need pictures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Gonna need pictures.
    x2

It's too bad so many people have been having close calls. Normally I dread september, since road stupidity always gets much worse when school and university start. But I've had an uneventful month so far.

34F again, and I still refuse to add layers.

Got my new duckbill ski goggles in the mail yesterday. I would say that I can't wait to try them out, except that I won't use them until it's -25C/-13F, and I can happily wait a few months before we see those kind of temperatures.

Last commute of the week for me. I think this weekend the 29er is going to get dirtdrop bars again.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    x2

It's too bad so many people have been having close calls. Normally I dread september, since road stupidity always gets much worse when school and university start. But I've had an uneventful month so far.

34F again, and I still refuse to add layers.

Got my new duckbill ski goggles in the mail yesterday. I would say that I can't wait to try them out, except that I won't use them until it's -25C/-13F, and I can happily wait a few months before we see those kind of temperatures.

Last commute of the week for me. I think this weekend the 29er is going to get dirtdrop bars again.
    Yeah I am still in shorts as well, hoping for no frost until into October....

Curiously I wore my jacket at 25 plus C a few times this summer, and am still only using it at 4 C, this fall.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ 37F here this morning. I have a moderately wind-resistant fleece jacket that's like that... good for a huge range of temps. I'm wearing that and leg warmers....probably could have held out in shorts for longer...lost my stubborn streak this year I guess

mtbr member
    Okay - someone is out to get me. Two days and two flats. This morning I rode to the bus stop no issues. A bit windy, a bit damp, but not too bad. Everything is just peachy. Get on the bus and have to ride all the way at the back. Still, no bigs. A good change of scenery. So I get off the bus in Anchortown and as I'm wheeling the bike out, I realize something doesn't feel right. Sure enough, it's completely flat on the back. Fortunately I packed my pump last night when I got home after realizing that it hasn't been in my bag for at least two weeks.

So I pump it up, thinking I can limp to work and then worry about fixing it in the comfort of the building. No go. I get it pumped and can hear the air escaping and it's almost flat again in less than a minute.

Pull the wheel, pop the tube out, and, because it's raining harder now, it's pretty easy to find the hole. So I dry it off best I can, being a bit soaked myself, and set to work patching the whole thing up. Rubber cement in the rain is a pain. Like Spain or the plain. Get it patched, spend twelve point two minutes pumping it up to an acceptable pressure and then start booking to work - watching the whole time to see if I can see the tire getting flatter as I roll. It didn't and I'm hopeful that when I go to check on it in an hour or so that it is still full. Argh.

That is all.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Two days and two flats.
    Happened to me this summer...turned out I didn't slowly feel all the way around the tire for anything sharp or rough good enough.

Sure enough after the second flat, I did, and found a very small piece of wire just sticking through so it irrittated the tube till it leaked...about 30 minutes of riding.

mtbr member
    Some dumb lady in an SUV ran her red light nearly creaming me.
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Bedwards Of The West
    ... spend twelve point two minutes pumping it up to an acceptable pressure ...

weirdo
    Whoa, separated headtube !?! Scarry!
    Wow, that`s a view, Woodway!
    No close calls for me yesterday. If I saw any vehicles on the road, I don`t remember them. Seriously windy, though. Still in shorts + jacket, but not for long. Will probably take my thin `clava and a pair of gloves with me today in case I want them for the ride home tonight, probably add long johns soon. And this morning I had to smoke on the sunny side of hte house- wasn`t long ago I was looking for shade.

twelve point two minutes
    Somebody needs to sell a fat pump to make a little dough off you fat riders. Maybe like one of those matress pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    She slows down next to me, pulls out the iPhone and takes a picture of me. I'm now expecting her husband to run me off the road with his F-350, I'm actually legitimately nervous.
    Don`t worry. She`s probably just going to use it as an inspirational screen saver
    Recalculating....

local trails rider
    Leaving work, the sun was shining - and then there was a short flurry of teeny tiny miniature snowballs. Too compact to call flakes, too soft to call hailstones

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    there was a short flurry of teeny tiny miniature snowballs. Too compact to call flakes, too soft to call hailstones
    It sounds like you really got graupelled on - Graupel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    On a recent commute home from work on a busy road a passenger in a car screams out to me "Get a Car!". It sparks a soap box style rant in my head. What's the message there??? Be sedentary? Use up fossil fuels? Increase your carbon footprint? I finally let it go...or, did I?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingRunner View Post
    On a recent commute home from work on a busy road a passenger in a car screams out to me "Get a Car!". It sparks a soap box style rant in my head. What's the message there??? Be sedentary? Use up fossil fuels? Increase your carbon footprint? I finally let it go...or, did I?
    Haha, I do the same thing. I picture what I WANT to say, but never do. I can never think of a response quickly enough.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Block, time to go tubeless and get some monkey nuts!

Moderator Moderator
    I saw some new bikers this morning, seriously safety concious with full reflective gear and helmets. They were going really, really, slow, probably due to their seriously out of true wheels, so I managed to get a pic of one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1020519.jpg  

mtbr member
    I had a great ride in today. My new route added a mile each way but was so worth it. 45 degrees in the morning, 65 degrees in the afternoon and sunny! Not many more of these kind of days left.
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er

mtbr member
    Got new tires from UPS yesterday and out 'em on. What happens 2.5 miles into the commute? Flat. Nasty metal shard embedded deep into the new rubber. Other than that, it's been good. Chilly in the morning but bearable. Tomorrow will be another try with the new tires.

weirdo
    I walked out to my bike today to leave for work and saw a goat head sticking out of the front tire. Pulled it out and heard an instant PPPSSSS. Crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    They were going really, really, slow, probably due to their seriously out of true wheels, so I managed to get a pic of one...
    Ah, yeah- those new low spoke count wheels, I see. Almost new and already out of true.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Awesome commute today! My first MTB Trail commute since I startied commuting in July. A fun, slightly muddy, really beautiful way to start the day. The ride finishes along a corn field. So cool!

CB of the East

Cross Bike Trail Commute

This corn is aMAIZEingly tall.
    How was your commute today?-2013-09-25-18.02.47.jpgHow was your commute today?-2013-09-25-18.07.12.jpg

I took rolling runner on her first trail commute this morning, same trail, different bike.

mtbr member
    This corn is aMAIZEingly tall.
    *shakes head*

Bedwards Of The West
    Corny, bedwards. Corny

Bedwards Of The West
    I had some tubeless drama yesterday... I use old valve stems cut out of presta tubes, and they work great for tubeless use, until eventually the metal 'stem' part separates from the little bit of rubber part that you leave attached, which is what forms a seal against the inside of the rim... I've had a couple of them separate over the past 4 or 5 years, and it's always when you go to add air and you wiggle it or move it.

This past summer I got some Stan's stems for my mountain bike, and they totally eliminate this potential issue, but I haven't gotten around to getting them for the commuter.... maybe I will now I put some air in the commuter tires in the morning, rode to work, and then the rear was strangely low after work. No issues in the morning. It had enough air to limp down the road to do the errand I was going to do, and then I went to put air in it... got the pump on there, a couple pumps, and then woooosh. I was meeting the wife anyway, so I walked the rest of the way rather than mess with my spare tube.

I took the opportunity to rotate my tires last night, which I've been meaning to do, and in the process I realized that it was past time to add sealant anyway. I ALSO found about 6 pokey little goathead spikes sticking down into the tires when I ran my fingers along the inside...the heads had long since broken off. Glad I didn't put a tube in...wouldn't have lasted long

mtbr member
    Had finally got the new A-530 clipless pedals, and the platform sides are.....lacking. Good sized for the purpose but so little grip that any shoe will slip off wet or dry. Gonna have to do the pin modifications that are recommended. Also checked out a weird lumpy feeling in my rear tire when rolling (not flat and no bubbles but it felt like there was a lump in the tire), when I took the treads off the rim the tube was covered in rubber dust. Not sure what it means, so I just swapped tires from the 29x60's I had on to the old 29x40's I had in the parts bin. I forgot how the narrower the tire the more twitchy and less stable the bike gets (had the biggun's on for more than a year now), but she is definitely lighter and faster to accelerate.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Corny, bedwards. Corny
    I rode the Felt "CornThief" It is a field of cow corn so I don't think it is going to be good eatin corn.

How was your commute today?-2013-09-25-19.06.37.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Block, time to go tubeless and get some monkey nuts!
    I'm really toying with the idea of ghetto tubeless, just haven't quite committed to making the leap yet. The funny part is that it had been over a year since my last flat. Pulled the tire last night and couldn't find anything in the tire that should be causing flats, but both tubes had the hole in the same area of the tube. Maybe when I changed it out yesterday morning I knocked whatever it was out of the tire. I also lined the tire itself with Anti-monkey butt powder (Don't have standard talcum and I prefer my tires to have a bit of a mentholated scent) and gave the inside of the tire a good rubdown last night before remounting and airing up. So far, so good. No tire issues this AM. Plenty of other issues though. I must be losing my mind or something.

Forgot my badge for work, my ID card for the bus, and, most importantly, my bike lock. I normally leave that on the rack at work, but yesterday I got a ride home as I had to pick up some parts for my furnace in town so the wife came in to town and we ran the errands. I had grabbed the lock to lock the bike to the rack, but ended up just throwing it in the back seat, where it sits still. Good think Freddy's is just across the street.

Pretty darned sad that even in a building with massive security presence, so much so that if they see you on camera talking on your cell while driving in the lot or driving without a seatbelt, they will give you a ticket, bikes get stolen in broad daylight from the rack out front.

mtbr member
    I rode the Felt "CornThief" It is a field of cow corn so I don't think it is going to be good eatin corn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-09-25 19.06.37.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	834864
    Most definitely NOT good eating. Though when I was young and growing up around farms in the midwest, we'd use the kernels for sling shot ammo. Fun times.

mtbr member
    Just got back from a 30 mile (+/-) ride with errands. That @#$*&^$ FSA crank bolt came loose on me again 3 times even though it was torqued down when I replaced it. Gonna have to go to the Loctite, even though I don't like using it. Great products but if natural tension won't keep a bolt tight, I tend to believe there's a larger problem... like a design flaw.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Yesterday, WET, today, WET, Just snow already!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingRunner View Post
    Awesome commute today! My first MTB Trail commute since I startied commuting in July. A fun, slightly muddy, really beautiful way to start the day. The ride finishes along a corn field. So cool!
    Welcome RollingRunner!

mtbr member
    Today was my 4th straight day riding to work, legs were screaming at me on most of the climbs. May have some questions later about how to harden TFU faster, though I suspect the real answer is "get a freewheel". Its been in the low 40s the last few mornings but when I walked out it felt warm so I went back in to change into short sleeves - the ride home should be more comfortable

I guess the slight delay got me this view at one of my favorite spots on the route (I find the discord between the beautiful hillside and the buzzing high voltage lines fascinating) . Usually don't see the sky like this till I've got to the top of the hill.

How was your commute today?-9967129233_e7dfca548b_b.jpg
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.