Page 223 of 223 FirstFirst ... 123173213219220221222223
Results 22,201 to 22,217 of 22217
    I'd rather be on my bike
    87.3 miles yesterday riding to pick up a friend, then we rode to a charity ride and did 50 miles, then a few extra miles, then back home. I am not upset about the 16.6 mph average for the entire trip either. Beautiful day in the low 80's with lower than usual humidity which was really nice. Still no commutes in the last two weeks. Will be heading out tonight when I get home from work for another 25-30 miles I think. Mapped out a nice route on some country roads here and I think my legs will be alright for that.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 1426.6/5000

CB of the East
    ^^Sounds like a great ride TenSpeed

Hi all, I had a great race on Saturday. Thanks for asking. Read all about it (or at least look at some pictures) here: The Candid Cyclist: CBCC 100K 2017: Here's Mud In Your Eye

I made it the whole race with no flat or other mechanicals and then on my way to work I hit something hard and had a blowout. I walked the last 2ish miles which is too bad because it is a downhill section that usually takes about 3 minutes, not 20+. Better than walking out of the race.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg
    RIP Gatorskin

Pcyclo
    Well bedwards that sounds like a pretty tough ride on saturday. I remember those leg cramps from my long rides years ago. After several hours I couldnt stand up on the pedals anymore....and I wasnt even racing...

Nice rides again today, took a scenic route on the way home. Added only 7-8 minutes but its really nice to have change once and a while.

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats on the killer race, bedwards. My legs were tired on the commute home today from a little 18 mile hilly gravel ride in the heat on Sunday. I got just a little wet riding, but got drenched walking 100 feet from an office trailer to my car after a meeting - a little hail and lightning for good measure too.

mtbr member
    Great race Bedwards, well done!

Glad the hardcore of commuters are still putting in the miles. First ride for a week for me today, felt good.
    2017 - 1018/4000 commute miles

mtbr member
    Yesterday was my first day back in the saddle after a little over a week of vacation. I was hoping to rent a bike and ride some trails during my time off, but I ended up not having the time. It is nice to be on the bike again.

Pcyclo
    Hey slipspace and sockeyeus, good to see that you are riding again. Keep going! :-)

Lovely day today. Rode with my wife and to school and kindergarten this morning and went to work late. To compensate my late start I went home extra early today lovely day to ride too: sunny, nice temps and hardly any wind. Finally some nice days.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 28C in the afternoon, thunderstorms during the night and thursday, then back to normal friday and on.

Pcyclo
    Bedwards: apparently those gatorskins are not up to the task of commuting?

Moderator Moderator
    Roadwork is becoming a PITA. 3/4 mile added to the commute this morning due to detours; not crazy far, but not great when you need to punch in. Last night I got 1/2 mile down a hill before a sign said road closed, local traffic only (translation, go back up the hill). I ignored the sign but paid for it in flagger delays. We have a very short construction season here, so I get it, but still...

IH, HYHT.
    Today gets my second lowest grade "NB" for No Bueno. The rain on way in and heat and humidity were their normal PITA. On the other hand, the guy who tried to come from behind and cut me off in the intersection followed by a full 30 second horn salute got me yelling and off the bike. Then on the way home some woman videoed me crossing and intersection with the light. Safety concern aside (really prefer drivers not video while driving) I have a hard time imagining what she's gonna use that video for.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Bedwards: apparently those gatorskins are not up to the task of commuting?
    I didn't even see what I hit but it was hard enough that any tire probably would have been toast. I wore my last set of Gatorskins square after about 3000 miles. Just bad luck. I ordered new tires that day. They should be here tomorrow. I even dropped back on protection in trade for performance. These

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Roadwork is becoming a PITA. 3/4 mile added to the commute this morning due to detours; not crazy far, but not great when you need to punch in. Last night I got 1/2 mile down a hill before a sign said road closed, local traffic only (translation, go back up the hill). I ignored the sign but paid for it in flagger delays. We have a very short construction season here, so I get it, but still...
    Same here. Both direct routes home have construction and square sided chunks milled out of the shoulder in places. I've been planning for and detouring a few miles to get around it most days. That is where I had my blowout though. One of the roads that is being repaved hasn't had the shoulders paved since somewhere around 1927 of overall I'm very happy about it. The milled square sections are because the pavement is SO bad that they can't just pave over it or it would still stick up.

Pcyclo
    Today was another nice day. It didnt get as hot as forecasted, max temp was around 26C and a nice breeze. Met my wife and sons on a bbq party and rode home all together.

Thunderstorms are forecasted though for the night and the morning so its uncertain if I can ride tomorrow. Will check the weather radar in the morning and then decide to ride or take the bus.

Bedwards: not repaved since 1927?? And you had paved roads already back then?? 2 incredible facts in 1 sentence....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice race bedwards! I got tired just watching the relive video

I switched from Gatorskins to Conti GP4000s II a few years ago and have never looked back. Much better rolling resistance, wet road handling and good durability.

Not much to report here in the Seattle area. I've been riding to work every day. We've now gone 30 days without rain and the locals are getting jumpy. It's pretty much been 50-55 in the mornings and 75-80 in the afternoons with mostly clear skies. Commuting glory days. The worm will turn soon enough...

Pcyclo
    Weather turned out much better than forecasted. Had to hurry a bit to get to work before some showers and not much after that anymore. It was 22C only but very damp and sticky so took it easy on the way home.

Pcyclo
    PS nice to hear from you woodway

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Beginner MTB Commuter

I hadn't ridden my bike in about 20 years, but I recently started working on it and did a few short test rides around a local park. Monday was the first day I rode to work. My commute is a little over 5 miles, but I was beat on that first day. Today was my second day riding and I feel much better after.

No problems with cars or other riders. The route I take has a well defined bike lane. I have a front and rear light on my bike to improve visibility.

I definitely need to get my strength up, but I'm making it happen so far - 35 minutes door to door. I'm a little sore above my kneecaps. Sunscreen and a pair of glasses may be nice. When the weather gets bad I'll probably need some different cycling gear to wear, but I feel like I could keep this bike commute going for a long while

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Congrats Skaughtto! Keep it up and it will get easier!

Thanks Dutchman. I'm envious you get to ride with your wife and kids. My sons are grown and gone...when they were younger I was not cycling and I'm wishing I would have been.

Well after bragging on Conti GP4000s, I went and hit a rock while descending a hill today and tore out the sidewall on my front tire. In defense of the tire, it did have at least 10,000 miles on it I'm not sure if a Gatorskin would have survived that rock hit either but it is a reminder that when you go with a lighter, faster tire, you are making a tradeoff. Still, even after trashing my front tire tonight I happily mounted up a new GP4000.

Members who have read this thread: 210