Page 223 of 229 FirstFirst ... 123173213219220221222223224225226227 ... LastLast
Results 22,201 to 22,300 of 22813
    CB of the East
    ^^Sounds like a great ride TenSpeed

Hi all, I had a great race on Saturday. Thanks for asking. Read all about it (or at least look at some pictures) here: The Candid Cyclist: CBCC 100K 2017: Here's Mud In Your Eye

I made it the whole race with no flat or other mechanicals and then on my way to work I hit something hard and had a blowout. I walked the last 2ish miles which is too bad because it is a downhill section that usually takes about 3 minutes, not 20+. Better than walking out of the race.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg
    RIP Gatorskin

mtbr member
    Well bedwards that sounds like a pretty tough ride on saturday. I remember those leg cramps from my long rides years ago. After several hours I couldnt stand up on the pedals anymore....and I wasnt even racing...

Nice rides again today, took a scenic route on the way home. Added only 7-8 minutes but its really nice to have change once and a while.

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats on the killer race, bedwards. My legs were tired on the commute home today from a little 18 mile hilly gravel ride in the heat on Sunday. I got just a little wet riding, but got drenched walking 100 feet from an office trailer to my car after a meeting - a little hail and lightning for good measure too.

mtbr member
    Great race Bedwards, well done!

Glad the hardcore of commuters are still putting in the miles. First ride for a week for me today, felt good.
    Cyclingdutchman - Free your mind and your legs will follow

2018 miles - 80

mtbr member
    Yesterday was my first day back in the saddle after a little over a week of vacation. I was hoping to rent a bike and ride some trails during my time off, but I ended up not having the time. It is nice to be on the bike again.

mtbr member
    Hey slipspace and sockeyeus, good to see that you are riding again. Keep going! :-)

Lovely day today. Rode with my wife and to school and kindergarten this morning and went to work late. To compensate my late start I went home extra early today lovely day to ride too: sunny, nice temps and hardly any wind. Finally some nice days.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 28C in the afternoon, thunderstorms during the night and thursday, then back to normal friday and on.

mtbr member
    Bedwards: apparently those gatorskins are not up to the task of commuting?

Moderator Moderator
    Roadwork is becoming a PITA. 3/4 mile added to the commute this morning due to detours; not crazy far, but not great when you need to punch in. Last night I got 1/2 mile down a hill before a sign said road closed, local traffic only (translation, go back up the hill). I ignored the sign but paid for it in flagger delays. We have a very short construction season here, so I get it, but still...

oh my TVC 15
    Today gets my second lowest grade "NB" for No Bueno. The rain on way in and heat and humidity were their normal PITA. On the other hand, the guy who tried to come from behind and cut me off in the intersection followed by a full 30 second horn salute got me yelling and off the bike. Then on the way home some woman videoed me crossing and intersection with the light. Safety concern aside (really prefer drivers not video while driving) I have a hard time imagining what she's gonna use that video for.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Bedwards: apparently those gatorskins are not up to the task of commuting?
    I didn't even see what I hit but it was hard enough that any tire probably would have been toast. I wore my last set of Gatorskins square after about 3000 miles. Just bad luck. I ordered new tires that day. They should be here tomorrow. I even dropped back on protection in trade for performance. These

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Roadwork is becoming a PITA. 3/4 mile added to the commute this morning due to detours; not crazy far, but not great when you need to punch in. Last night I got 1/2 mile down a hill before a sign said road closed, local traffic only (translation, go back up the hill). I ignored the sign but paid for it in flagger delays. We have a very short construction season here, so I get it, but still...
    Same here. Both direct routes home have construction and square sided chunks milled out of the shoulder in places. I've been planning for and detouring a few miles to get around it most days. That is where I had my blowout though. One of the roads that is being repaved hasn't had the shoulders paved since somewhere around 1927 of overall I'm very happy about it. The milled square sections are because the pavement is SO bad that they can't just pave over it or it would still stick up.

mtbr member
    Today was another nice day. It didnt get as hot as forecasted, max temp was around 26C and a nice breeze. Met my wife and sons on a bbq party and rode home all together.

Thunderstorms are forecasted though for the night and the morning so its uncertain if I can ride tomorrow. Will check the weather radar in the morning and then decide to ride or take the bus.

Bedwards: not repaved since 1927?? And you had paved roads already back then?? 2 incredible facts in 1 sentence....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice race bedwards! I got tired just watching the relive video

I switched from Gatorskins to Conti GP4000s II a few years ago and have never looked back. Much better rolling resistance, wet road handling and good durability.

Not much to report here in the Seattle area. I've been riding to work every day. We've now gone 30 days without rain and the locals are getting jumpy. It's pretty much been 50-55 in the mornings and 75-80 in the afternoons with mostly clear skies. Commuting glory days. The worm will turn soon enough...

mtbr member
    Weather turned out much better than forecasted. Had to hurry a bit to get to work before some showers and not much after that anymore. It was 22C only but very damp and sticky so took it easy on the way home.

mtbr member
    PS nice to hear from you woodway

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Beginner MTB Commuter

I hadn't ridden my bike in about 20 years, but I recently started working on it and did a few short test rides around a local park. Monday was the first day I rode to work. My commute is a little over 5 miles, but I was beat on that first day. Today was my second day riding and I feel much better after.

No problems with cars or other riders. The route I take has a well defined bike lane. I have a front and rear light on my bike to improve visibility.

I definitely need to get my strength up, but I'm making it happen so far - 35 minutes door to door. I'm a little sore above my kneecaps. Sunscreen and a pair of glasses may be nice. When the weather gets bad I'll probably need some different cycling gear to wear, but I feel like I could keep this bike commute going for a long while

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Congrats Skaughtto! Keep it up and it will get easier!

Thanks Dutchman. I'm envious you get to ride with your wife and kids. My sons are grown and gone...when they were younger I was not cycling and I'm wishing I would have been.

Well after bragging on Conti GP4000s, I went and hit a rock while descending a hill today and tore out the sidewall on my front tire. In defense of the tire, it did have at least 10,000 miles on it I'm not sure if a Gatorskin would have survived that rock hit either but it is a reminder that when you go with a lighter, faster tire, you are making a tradeoff. Still, even after trashing my front tire tonight I happily mounted up a new GP4000.

Pop a wheelie!
    Congratulations Skaughtto! As woodway mentioned, it will get easier.
    Car free & carefree!

mtbr member
    Again a very nice ride today. Just didnt have the time for my usual friday detour. And I rode all 5 days this week

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Cool beans Cycling Dutchman! Its always satisfying to get the full house.

Hi guys! Been totally innactive here for a good while, mainly due to work and becoming a father for the second time. A boy this time!

Been covering a few more miles than last year, though, as Ive been delivering and collecting our oldest at kindergarten - making it 40km per day, five days a week (more or less)!

Oh and the Anti-Platt strips are working like a dream!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    Cool beans Cycling Dutchman! Its always satisfying to get the full house.

Hi guys! Been totally innactive here for a good while, mainly due to work and becoming a father for the second time. A boy this time!

Been covering a few more miles than last year, though, as Ive been delivering and collecting our oldest at kindergarten - making it 40km per day, five days a week (more or less)!

Oh and the Anti-Platt strips are working like a dream!
    Congrats ghost! Glad to hear such good news and keep riding! Most people ride less when kids enter the equation. I myself started commuting when I became a father, no time for long mtb rides in the weekend and evenings anymore....but 40kms a day is remarkable and about double the distance I ride everyday. Must be long days too.

And glad my advise about the antiplatt stuff worked out.

Keep going and good luck with the new family member!

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats on the new son, Ghost, and on pedaling your oldest to kindergarten!

CB of the East
    Congrats Ghost! Have you got him a balance bike yet?

I may or may not have bought a new bike over the weekend. OK, I did but the wheels and frame were separated by about an hours drive. Both great deals. (which is good because in the process of dialing it in it seems a little small and I may have to flip it.How was your commute today?-20170724_064635.jpg) I'm not sure I would call it a "commuter" and I may get kicked out of the mountain biking forum for posting a picture of it on principal. I will use it for commuting but probably not as a mountain bike, that would be hard.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Congrats Ghost!

bedwards, since the wheels and frame were separated by an hour it's officially not a new bike, rather you upgraded the wheels and then the frame of your existing bike Very sweet looking ride. To make up for posting the roadie pic on MTBR you need to post a pic of it on a trail...

CB of the East
    ^^LOL, I like your thinking.

On the trail, um, no. I'm going to fall back on the fact that I just finished 43rd overall out of 108 in a 100K full on mountain bike race. That should get me some cred as a mountain biker. (6:39:20.8) At least enough to pull me through this little wrinkle.

mtbr member
    Hey bedwards looks like the perfect bike to ride the lake in winter

Was off yesterday so no commute, but made a 2hr walk with my son on my back in the kid carrier. Does that count too?

A tunnel shortly before work is being reconstructed and is forbidden for bikes for the next weeks. Pedestrians are allowed so I walked it but its adding 6-7 minutes travelling time and even worse, is screwing up my average speed for the round trip. Oh and it rained this morning so I rode in full hardshell kit. Way home was dry though and luckily it didnt rain so much as in some other places where they had all the rain in 10minutey, causing floods etc.

Over here it rained moderately but for 10hrs straight. This year, summer is when the rain is warm.

Pop a wheelie!
    ^^^ cyclingdutchman, I love that you're pulling the trailer on foot!!!

Good ride into work today. I took the Krampus again because the Cross Check is in the shop (bent spoke, etc) after my 100-mile weekend on the Rock Island Spur. Tons of fun! Some of the trail is still under construction, so I got to test the Cross Check's handling in rough gravel and even sand. I posted a photo from the trip in the photo thread.
    Car free & carefree!

mtbr member
    Hi KCdude, nono I wasnt pulling the trailer, we have a very old version of this one here:

Kid Comfort 3 - Kidsbackpack - Deuter

The disadvantage is, when you are tired, the kid is still full of energy :-/ so we make sure he walks enough himself too

Pop a wheelie!
    ^^^ Ah I understand! HAHA
    Car free & carefree!

mtbr member
    Again some rain in the morning but it turned into a nice day. Made a detour on the way home. Couldnt resist at 23C, sunny and a light tailwind

mtbr member
    I was feeling good yesterday, so I decided to go for a Strava segment I have my sights set on. I pedaled the crap out of that stretch of road but missed the KOM by 1 second. I guess I'll just have to pedal faster on the flat section. I got up to 155 rpms and averaged 131 overall, but it still wasn't enough with my SS gearing. I grabbed a few top 10s though on a trail ride later in the day, so I guess that makes up for it...sorta.

mtbr member
    My office moved, my old 10 KM commute is now 25 KM.

I picked up a Haanjo Trail Carbon and have been using it to commute (4 days out of 12 so far).

Lots of traffic unfortunately.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Almost the entire route I take has a bike lane, but recently a stretch was repaved and hasn't been striped yet. I called up the city to ask about what was happening and someone quickly called me back to give a timetable for when to expect the striping to be completed. Right now drivers are getting confused, which is no good for cyclists. The city engineer told me the bike lanes would be restored in a week or two. Just a reminder that you can give your city a call if you are having trouble with the design of a road or intersection.

mtbr member
    Congrats Ghost I still see ya pop up once in a while on strava!

Speaking of, I got a kom on the ride home the other day on a segment called soccer mom slalom. Trick was to pick a super hot and humid day late in the afternoon where only lizards and idiots went outside, ha. There were no soccer moms to avoid, nailed it!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post

Speaking of, I got a kom on the ride home the other day on a segment called soccer mom slalom. Trick was to pick a super hot…
    You got me all excited…

…and humid day late in the afternoon where only lizards and idiots went outside, ha.
    …only to be let down.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    You got me all excited…

…only to be let down.
    Lol sorry! Early in the morning is when all the "active wear" is on the trails

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    I was just thinking this morning how uneventful my commutes have been since moving offices a couple years ago, then I got buzzed by a car...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Descending a hill this morning at around 30MPH when a bee flew into, and got caught in, my helmet. Picture me desperately trying to stop with one hand and get him out of there with the other. He was pissed. Ultimately my efforts were in vain as the bee delivered a painful sting to my forehead. It's swollen and sore this morning as I type this. Hoping for a better ride this afternoon...

mtbr member
    18C already this morning, 20C on the way home. But it was dry, what else can I want this summer?

Heal up fast woodway!

mtbr member
    So I tried for my KOM last night. I had to pedal like mad, but I got it by 1 second. I'm sure the previous KOM wasn't trying as hard to get it as I was, but whatever. It's an interesting little segment on a singlespeed because it demands a variety of skills in a short period of time (sprint from a stop into a steep 0.1 mile climb, followed by a 0.3 mile flat stretch to another stop). It's easier to climb on the SS, but harder to pedal fast enough on the flat.

CB of the East
    ^^Nice! A friend of mine just swiped a bunch of "my" KOMs on my commuter route. He set the bar pretty high. We're talking 300W for 3 miles kind of effort, maybe more for me since I'm heavier. https://www.strava.com/segments/13198352?filter=overall It gives me something to shoot for in my commutes. The new TT bike will help. He's on a TT bike.

But today I just peddled in nice and easy like.

FRIDAY!

mtbr member
    Congrats s0cky on your kom. I bet you will get m back bedwards!

nice rides today. Stayed 15min longer at work to avoid a shower and rode home easypeasy. Unfortunately the planned family biketour is cancelled. Tomorrow it will rain continuously until 4pm and after that, regular thunderstorms are forecasted to pass through all night and sunday. I am now hoping for the next weekend.

I was off on monday and commuted 4 days this week. And I actually filled up the car last night, cant remember the last time I did that

Have a nice weekend ya all!

Pop a wheelie!
    Great ride today. I was finally able to borrow a car to pick up the Cross Check from the shop. It's good to be a little faster on the pavement again ...
    Car free & carefree!

CB of the East
    OK, I got one of "my" KOMs back! Not a lot else to report. The weather has been perfect.

mtbr member
    Hiya KOM hunters! I dont know if I own a KOM somewhere.

But I certainly liked the rides today. Dry, sunny, nice temps, easy day at work. One idiot coming around a Corner way too fast and making me slam the Brakes to avoid a frontal Crash couldnt even ruin it. It's been a lovely day.

mtbr member
    Dead kitten on the road today. Other than that, standard stuff.

CB of the East
    Hiya KOM hunters! I dont know if I own a KOM somewhere.
    If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?
    If you have a faster time on a stretch of road and you're not on Strava, is it still a KOM?

That reminds me, I went on a group ride on Saturday with all the local racers. Holy Smokin! We averaged almost 26MPH for 26 Miles. If you ever start to think you might be fast... I never took a turn at the front because I wasn't sure what I needed in reserve being my first time. It turns out that drafting at that speed isn't all that hard.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    How about averaging 27 MPH over 120+ miles?

See #3 in this link:

Tour de France 2017

Whenever I start to think I am fast I just think of the peleton holding 35+ MPH on the flats. I have trouble going that fast downhill...

CB of the East
    ^^Yeah, that too. Or climbing mountains at 18MPH. That level of output is almost beyond comprehension. The funny thing is that my friends that don't ride think that I ride at that level, LOL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    transmission went out in my van, so I am commuting every day.... 2.5 miles to work
    97 specialized rockhopper.- winter beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- summer commuter

mtbr member
    All this Strava talk reminds me of this artcile: Ex-pro targets Strava KOMs with funky bike and world-class power - BikeRadar. 47 pages of KOMs, as of the time the article was written. Strava certainly isn't everything, but it gets me riding to work and back with a little more drive. Most of my commutes aren't on Strava though, mostly just the really really fast ones.

mtbr member
    Brought my kid to kindergarten this morning so I was a little late at work. Had a good day at work and since I came in late, I left extra early. I could avoid a big shower that I saw coming on the rain radar and once home, I immediately drove to a shop to pick up a new trailer. That crap thing we had simply wasnt well designed. We are now proud owner of a croozer 2 plus. Includes suspension and an automatic led lighting from busch & muller. Hopefully we can make a testride later this week and a more extensive testride during the weekend.

Weather is predictably unpredictable this week. Thunderstorms forecasted for every day but it seldomly actually happens. Nevertheless its impossible to plan a nice family ride more than 3 hrs ahead...

CB of the East
    ^^Part way around the world we have the same thunderstorm forecast.
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 188
Size:  9.1 KB

Speaking of thunderstorms I beat the one home last night. It would have been a soaker too. But, I didn't just beat it, I crushed it. It was my fastest commute home ever on the new TT bike. 24.6MPH for the 11 mile segment I have for my commute. Not bad for an old guy.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 08-01-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: I wasn't done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    My commute was great today. 36 mile round trip, about 12 of it on a trail that had some interesting ruts and mud because of all the rain we've been having, full of beautiful trees, river and mountain views, and wildlife. I ride from downtown Colorado Springs to the northern end of town on the Greenway and the Santa Fe trails.

It's a great ride I made once a week last fall, and am planning on making twice a week this fall. A summer of riding every day has made it much easier, as has the 2017 Rockhopper I bought in January, which is much smoother than my circa 1996 Fuji on the trails.

Getting rid of the backpack soon in favor of panniers. We'll see which I prefer, but lugging 10-15 pounds both ways on my back is, at 48, a bit painful.

CB of the East
    ^^Sounds like a great ride! Post a pic of those views when you get a chance. (Like this)

I've got to take a car to an appointment this afternoon so today was a great day to take the trails to work. Nice, very nice.
    How was your commute today?-20170802_072747s.jpg
    Beam Me Up Scotty (Genius)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Yeah, that too. Or climbing mountains at 18MPH. That level of output is almost beyond comprehension. The funny thing is that my friends that don't ride think that I ride at that level, LOL.
    Some of us that ride think that too

Good numbers chasing anyways folks ^^^^^^

Many congrats to Ghost on the new arrival

On leave last week but managed all 3 days this week so far. Car tomorrow as I'm giving a colleague a lift after he drops his car at a garage near my gaff.

No much to report, work is crazy busy. Cyclists seem more friendly at the moment, nodding, waving, even speaking, none of that snootyness that I complained about last year, so that's nice.

2018 miles - 80

mtbr member
    Whoa nice Pic Bedwards!

And keep riding slipspace. Cant you convince your collegue to ride the bike as well?
    Time for me to make some pics as well again I guess. But nothing much to see lately. If I do see any, the roe deers stay far away from the road and no boars at all this year. I guess they moved because they didnt like that one two legged animal looking and pointing things at them (me pointing the camera...)

Damp and quiet this morning. Rode home just after a shower so the roads were wet but everyhting was fine.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Some of us that ride think that too
    Awe Gee, thanks. I'm only faster than the people slower than me. I did pass a guy on a road bike this morning who appeared like he should have been faster than me (on my FS Plus bike).

I saw some deer today too but none of them stopped to pose. Which reminds me that I saw a coyote over the weekend. I didn't get a picture of him either because I was pretty focused on getting the dogs the hell out of there ASAP. He was giving us some warning bays to stay away from whatever he was protecting.

mtbr member
    A few weeks ago I managed to overtake 2 People on e-bikes

Moderator Moderator
    It was my fastest commute home ever on the new TT bike. 24.6MPH for the 11 mile segment I have for my commute. Not bad for an old guy.
    I'm afraid this speed disqualifies you from the commuter forum

Moderator Moderator
    Rides here have been pretty routine, but good. I keep forgetting to account for the construction detour time. In wildlife stories, work at a site I was at today was held up for 1/2 day when an excavator found an underground hive. There were so many bees they had to call in a beekeeper, who wrangled them and determined they were honeybees.

mtbr member
    I'm afraid this speed disqualifies you from the commuter forum
    Ya that's not a commute that's a race!

Broke another spoke on the way to work this morning, I guess I should stop jumping off curbs and such on a rigid! The sound is unmistakable..... praaang! Been seeing alot of fellow commuters here lately even though the temps have been hot and humid, maybe it's catching on.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Got soaked on the way home last night, too warm for waterproofs which would make me as wet anyways..

And keep riding slipspace. Cant you convince your collegue to ride the bike as well?
    Touchy subject that one, he would dearly love to ride and was a cycle commuter at our old unit. However, his wife is at home with a very boisterous 1 year old and is at her wits end by the end of the day and wants him home as soon as possible.

You know how it goes, happy wife = happy life

2018 miles - 80

CB of the East
    Ya that's not a commute that's a race!
    But, but, but, I was racing a thunderstorm. That is the plight of a bike commuter, right?

When you break a spoke do you buy 3 to have a few on hand for next time? I always do since there pretty cheap. I've probably got 10 different lengths at this point.

Still some perfect summer weather here. I've been able to miss all the thunderstorms...so far.

mtbr member
    But, but, but, I was racing a thunderstorm. That is the plight of a bike commuter, right?

When you break a spoke do you buy 3 to have a few on hand for next time? I always do since there pretty cheap. I've probably got 10 different lengths at this point.

Still some perfect summer weather here. I've been able to miss all the thunderstorms...so far.
    Yep I have a few extras now but it just took the wheel to the bike shop this time they do it for cheap and true the rim up nice. Needed a break anyway after riding every day for a couple weeks my legs feel tired.....

2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Oh and the thunderstorm is a legit excuse! Been there!

2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Uneventful commuting lately, I did win the thunderstorm race on my way home yesterday at a pace nowhere near 25 mph...

Could use some good vibes today, my wife is currently being interviewed (like at this exact moment) for a new position that would be huge for us if she gets it. Haven't been telling our friends and family because she doesn't want to get psyched up for nothing if it doesn't pan out. So I'm leaving it to you guys, send good thoughts our way

To make it somewhat relevant she would be able to walk / bike to work every day.

CB of the East
    You got it Formula, good thoughts for your and your wife to get a dream job that she can bike to!

mtbr member
    Good luck for your wife f4s!

Brought my son to kindergarten this morning before I rode to work. It rained all the time and it was 18C already. Way too warm for the rain kit. Had only shorts, t-shirt and sandals on. Ride home was better. 21C, dry and sunny. The wind has picked up though, will be windy the next days.

mtbr member
    Vibes sent!

2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys, the interview went great and they just invited her to come back for a "final interview". This interview was her third step in applying for this job, so lots of time and energy invested and a good heaping of excitement and nervousness. One of the interviewers told her he was really impressed with her after it was over, so I'm super proud of her right now.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
    I have more thunderstorms to avoid today, but that's just summer here like 50% of the time.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    More good vibes for the final interview...

Not such good vibes on my commute home last night. My chain over-shifted and dropped between the cassette and spokes. The bike was shifting a little funny leading up to this which makes me think my derailleur took a whack and bent the hanger which allowed the chain to over-shift.

Anyway, I dragged the bike onto the sidewalk and spent about ten minutes in the hot sun (temp was 90+ degrees) trying to get the chain loose. I've never had one so bound up before. I was sweating so profusely that I picked up the bike, pannier and all, and walked about 100 yards up the hill into some shade. I still could not get the chain loose and finally had to pull out the chain tool and break the chain so I could pull the wheel and get better leverage/angle to pull the chain out of the spokes. My chain has a master link that I could have opened but as luck would have it the master link was caught down in the spokes...

Finally got it loose, re-threaded the chain and pushed the pin back in. I had to re-index the deraileur on the side of the road because my hanger is *really* bent now. But I made it home with no issues (and to work this morning as well).

I hate roadside mechanical's.
    Last edited by woodway; 08-03-2017 at 01:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    This.

That quote is worthy enough for a signature.

mtbr member
    Positive thinking heading your missus way Formula4speed. Best of luck to her.

Woodway, I've had that issue before now with the chain but never to that extent, good work!

Stong wind today, in ya face or at best across. Hopeful for a speedy ride home though. That said, I appear to have developed pop-eye elbow overnight or perhaps on the ride in. Didnt notice til I sat at my desk and it felt funny. It's all swollen and red hot now so made an appointment at the Docs this pm to see what's what

2018 miles - 80

mtbr member
    Can confirm strong wind. Luckily I was early today and it wasnt that bad at 7 this morning. It was 15C this morning and rode in t shirt but somehow it seemed colder as normal. Probably the lower sun and damp air. Wind picked up to about 22knots from the west this afternoon, which was a tailwind first and crosswind later.

Rode 5 of 5 working days this week. Have a nice weekend fellow commuters!

mtbr member
    I pulled out in front of a car today. I guess it wasn't that close, but I threaded the needle more than I typically like to do. I looked and didn't see a car until I was already out into the street. There was a pedestrian walking by and a tree blocks a bit of the view from the street I was on, so maybe that was it. Still, it took me by surprise.

CB of the East
    Sending positive final interview energy!
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    More good vibes for the final interview...

Not such good vibes on my commute home last night. My chain over-shifted and dropped between the cassette and spokes. The bike was shifting a little funny leading up to this which makes me think my derailleur took a whack and bent the hanger which allowed the chain to over-shift.

Anyway, I dragged the bike onto the sidewalk and spent about ten minutes in the hot sun (temp was 90+ degrees) trying to get the chain loose. I've never had one so bound up before. I was sweating so profusely that I picked up the bike, pannier and all, and walked about 100 yards up the hill into some shade. I still could not get the chain loose and finally had to pull out the chain tool and break the chain so I could pull the wheel and get better leverage/angle to pull the chain out of the spokes. My chain has a master link that I could have opened but as luck would have it the master link was caught down in the spokes...

Finally got it loose, re-threaded the chain and pushed the pin back in. I had to re-index the deraileur on the side of the road because my hanger is *really* bent now. But I made it home with no issues (and to work this morning as well).

Yet people still make fun of pie plates. They don't really stop it from happening but they do keep the spokes from getting cut when it does.

A friend brought me his bike in similar shape. He had the chain jammed in there so tight it wouldn't come out. I had to pull the cassette which I could barely get off with the load on it.

mtbr member
    last post 3 days ago ^^ nobody commuted the last 3 days?

This morning on the unpaved section I heard a noise from my rear wheel and it felt like I hit a Stone or something. Later on the Asphalt I felt the rear wheel was untrue. Checked the spokes but found nothing. It was still there on the way home and at home I noticed that over a length of 6-7cm the top layer has come off of the tire bead. Looks like it will blow out sooner or later. I quickly ordered 2 new tires, for 11€ each I think a warranty Claim would take longer. I did send a mail to Conti later to ask about warranty. After all, the tire itself is ok for the rest, still Profile on it, did not run it even Close to the max pressure of 5 bar (4 at the most) and hardly any touring with a heavy load - 95% commuting and I got them early May last year. I am now debating whether to take the rideable-but-not-finished-back-up bike, take the bus for a Change or ride it and hope for the best.

Other than the tire Problem, it was a nice day for riding.

CB of the East
    ^^Sure, I'm here. What you don't have dozens (and dozens) of tires lying around that you can put on in the meantime like me. Or do you have them around but have an idea of exactly which tire you want on the bike and don't want to change it twice, like me. I asked for a warranty claim from Conti for the tire at the top of this thread but they said no way, I hit something. They were right but it never hurts to ask for a tire that you think did you wrong.

Yup, I commuted twice in the last 3 days. And did 2 other rides because 20+ miles each week day isn't enough.
    Friday PM: commute home, all good.
    Sunday AM: Trail ride with dogs. picked and ate lots of blueberries trailside. The dogs were chomping off mouthfulls too. I also found a few chanterelles by the trail.
    Sunday PM: Took the TT bike out KOM hunting. Bagged 3 but one was my own.
    Monday AM: Took the TT bike but my legs were lifeless.
    Monday PM: I'm hoping for a rest ride.
    How was your commute today?-20170806_103752.jpg
    Breakfast
    How was your commute today?-20170806_174954.jpg
    Dinner

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got rained on walking my dog this morning. Riding to work actually dried my clothes out for the most part. I think that's a first for me, getting dry instead of wet.

Swapped out my handlebar light.

Had an Ituo Wiz20 on there, great light on paper. Least reliable thing I've ever used, seems to be a known power drain issue where the light just goes dead on you. Two thumbs down for commuter usage if you're not sure if your light is going to work or not.

oh my TVC 15
    Pretty uneventful today. Friday I found a billfold. Called information for the guys number but he didn't have a listing. Called the police non-emergency line, they apparently don't do that sort of thing either. Finally a friend suggested throwing it in a post box. Not happy with that answer so I went to the post office and they suggested I put it in a mailer and send it to him. It cost me more to get that billfold back than the billfold, two dollars in the thing and atm card were worth. I just hope he got it before he replaced his drivers license, otherwise it wasn't worth the effort. As an aside, what 30-year-old has only $2 in their billfold? As a second aside, it might be a good idea to have your cellphone number in your billfold if you're gonna leave it on the sidewalk.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I'm sure your bike is better maintained than mine Dutch but you not had brake block rub on the tyre have you?

Looks like I'm almost done for the month commuting, maybe 3 more commute rides possible :-( Financial advice appointment tomorrow, leaves me thurs/fri. Next week my son has a weeks trial at a firm looking to take on a couple of apprentices, he can't get there easily so I'll be dropping him off on a very circuitous route on my way to work. His motorcycle test isnt until the following week. Then the last two weeks of August I'm on leave again. I WILL be getting in some leisure cycling though.

2018 miles - 80

Moderator Moderator
    BMX commute yesterday. It is fun and surprisingly fast, but the hill on the construction detour is tougher than the regular one, which is tough enough. Parked it next to another BMX, belonging to a guy in another Department who races BMX, which I think is a pretty cool thing.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Pretty uneventful today. Friday I found a billfold. Called information for the guys number but he didn't have a listing. Called the police non-emergency line, they apparently don't do that sort of thing either. Finally a friend suggested throwing it in a post box. Not happy with that answer so I went to the post office and they suggested I put it in a mailer and send it to him. It cost me more to get that billfold back than the billfold, two dollars in the thing and atm card were worth. I just hope he got it before he replaced his drivers license, otherwise it wasn't worth the effort. As an aside, what 30-year-old has only $2 in their billfold? As a second aside, it might be a good idea to have your cellphone number in your billfold if you're gonna leave it on the sidewalk.
    Should have paid for the postage with the ATM card assuming it was a debit. Or sent it postage due. Or put an invalid address for the TO and used his address as the return. I found a purse last year. It had been stripped of its cash but i was able to track down where the person worked and got it back to her. She was quite grateful.

I didn't rest on the way home as I had hoped but I did take it very easy on the way it. There was a very pleasant light rain. I did over 10 miles with some hills and kept my average heart rate below 109 (Fitbit). I think some people run higher than that sitting on the couch. I think this commuting may just have some health benefits.

mtbr member
    @Slipspace: No no brake pad rub, I am running disc brakes so that one rules out. When it happened it sounded and felt like a broken spoke.

Anyway, new tires are probably here tomorrow. Took off the rear wheel already and cleaned the drivetrain. It is in surprisingly good shape, the KMC X1 chain is now paying off by much less wear than the previous Deore (XT) 9sp chains I used before.

Ordered a new chain along with the tires, but it will not be necessary yet. Even according to the Rohloff measurement tool the chain is still ok, despite it being very conservative.

So no rides for me and tomorrow. Drove today and will probably ride the bus tomorrow.

So keep riding and stay safe people!

CU CD

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm going to dial back the bike commuting for a while. After 3 weeks my knees and my doctor are trying to tell me that I should have eased into it. Apparently it's hard to go from years of biking 0 miles to 20 miles per week - who wouldah thunk it?

I bet I'm in too high of a gear most of the time, which probably isn't helping. Knees have been hurting above the knee cap. Doc sent me this link: http://kpdoc.org/kneepainprogram

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Too bad, Skaughtto, but that makes sense. Hope you are back at it soon. If walking is not painful, that may help in the meanwhile to keep joints and muscles tuned up.

Moderator Moderator
    July 3rd bikecommute.Attachment 1145044
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post

Nice pic MTBX, the buildings in the background is exactly how I imagine America to be.
    Thnks SlipSpace, somehow just happened across your comment. Left to right, the buildings are the Unitarian church, the Post Office, and City Hall/Opera House.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just started bicycle commuting again! Spent a bunch of years working a two hour one way drive to jobsite. It is so nice to hop on the trail by my house and ten minutes later be at work. A mountain lion has been lurking on the trail so my pre dawn ride in is a little sketchy and in the fall the bears like to use the bike path too. I am hoping to keep going into my snow plow season. At work at 3am keeping our city streets free of snow. Feels great to cycle commute! Stay safe out there everyone.
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

oh my TVC 15
    Quote Originally Posted by demondan View Post
    Just started bicycle commuting again! Spent a bunch of years working a two hour one way drive to jobsite. It is so nice to hop on the trail by my house and ten minutes later be at work. A mountain lion has been lurking on the trail so my pre dawn ride in is a little sketchy and in the fall the bears like to use the bike path too. I am hoping to keep going into my snow plow season. At work at 3am keeping our city streets free of snow. Feels great to cycle commute! Stay safe out there everyone.
    Interesting challenges. I ride with all sorts of dangerous drivers, but I don't think any of those would drag me off and eat me later if they hit me. Perhaps when winter hits you can use a fatbike with studded tires, I can't imagine an animal (two or four legged) wanting to get closer to anything that noisy.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaughtto View Post
    I'm going to dial back the bike commuting for a while. After 3 weeks my knees and my doctor are trying to tell me that I should have eased into it. Apparently it's hard to go from years of biking 0 miles to 20 miles per week - who wouldah thunk it?

I bet I'm in too high of a gear most of the time, which probably isn't helping. Knees have been hurting above the knee cap. Doc sent me this link: http://kpdoc.org/kneepainprogram
    Here's a cycling specific link:
    Cycling Knee Pain: Causes and Solutions
    Here's another.:
    Common Causes of Cycling Knee Pain | Bicycling
    Other than ramping up slowly and not mashing big gears (which you already pointed out) they basically say to make sure your saddle is the right height.

Quote Originally Posted by demondan View Post
    That sounds slightly less dangerous than sharing the road with rednecks in pickup trucks that try to see how close they can pass you for fun.

Back to perfect weather hear today. I'm pretty sure my tires were flat this morning because the bike felt too slow. I was going to carefully put the pump on to see what pressure they actually were...I ham fisted it. I think the rim bounced off the ground I lost so much air putting the pump on. Hopefully it rolls better tonight.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have commuted to work once in the last month or so. I am riding in today finally.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    All ok Ten? Are you still racking up the after hours miles?

So my pop-eye/student elbow had gone away until I was about a mile into the ride this morning and then it was back. Don't know what the issue is, no pain, just like having a big warm gel pad flopping around on my elbow. hmmm. Well it'll have to get me home whatever.

2018 miles - 80

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Weather has been surprisingly nice as of late. Commutes have been pretty enjoyable for this time of year.

My wife has her "final" interview today, which is a half day involving 8 separate meetings with a total of 11 different people This is like her 5th or 6th time meeting/interviewing, so they are really making her work for it...

mtbr member
    GOOD LUCK going to your wife from me F4S! *keepfingerscrossed*

mtbr member
    Got the spare bike going and could ride again today. Felt really good. Weather played along too, simply a nice day to be out on the bike.

I notice that summer is on its return though. Sun is lower in the morning and has less power, and it is getting more damp again...and its gonna rain again tomorrow too :-/ Oh well. Here in Hamburg, summer is when the rain is warm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    FREAKIN" squirrels are going to do me in. That and those Canadian geese, and the poop as well. Never mind the Boston drivers. This critter flies out of a bush and over my front wheel at speed on the bike path. Scared the hell out of me, recovered my swerve before a bad chain reaction got set off. On a better note, got a mid ride swim in on the commute home yesterday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    ^^Sounds like a great ride! Post a pic of those views when you get a chance. (Like this)
    Here you go, bedwards... Got caught in thunderstorms going and coming today. This is from the ride home. I'm not a great photographer. It's much more awe-inspiring in person.

How was your commute today?-wp_20170810_15_31_32_pro.jpg

mtbr member
    I agree Dutch, it looks like it's getting back to the cooler mornings. I could have done with a long sleeve tee for today. Otherwise pleasant enough.

leeboh. Gotta watch for the local fauna that's for sure, and their slippy poo!

2018 miles - 80

Co Springs

Hints welcome, I'm going to be new to this -

I think I'm going to start biking to work very soon.

Been wanting to do the bike commute for a long time but have had strong reservations about night time riding and mostly having to do so in/along traffic, then the morning commute with the wake-challenged drivers at early morning dusk. Just wasn't feeling safe enough to consider it worthy.

The new wrinkle is a completed section or path / greenway that all but makes the ride safe and 95 % traffic free.
    I'm really excited to not have any excuses any longer but with that is the new-to-me realities of longer prep-commuter time and iffy weather issues.
    Any hints and all tips and advice is welcome and I promise to peruse the threads / posts to absorb what's been covered. My commute test today in daylight hours was just under 5 miles 'up' and approx 32 minutes as I wanted to take it at an easy and conservative pace. Getting home was more like 17 - 19 minutes.

I'm packing rain-wear in dry bags, have my work uniform/boots at the job site and will keep tools and tire repair/pump on the bike. Figured if I get a bit damp coming in, I'll have my dry work clothes and boots here.

I've been doing this commute by car or motorcycle for about 10 years and it's a 10 to 12 minute drive under the able conditions of horsepower.

Currently riding a steel bikepacker/trail h/t 27.5 plus, has been 100% trails thus far and feels like a willing commuter for this piddly short ride. Can also try out the 26'r Kona h/t on 2.35 or the Spec 26 on 2.2. I'm guessing within a few weeks or 6 - 10 rides, I'll have tried them a few times each just to get a feel for how they go.

On the test run yesterday, I got a bit rained on and was fortunate to get under a roof at the baseball park not far from my house. That makes me realize I should pay attention and scout some other protective areas per heavy rains or lightning along the route. I know of at least one school I pass on the other end of the route.

Happy commuting.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

CB of the East
    ^^Like Nike says, Just Do It. Maybe pick one of the bikes and put road tires on it. If you've been commuting by motorcycle you are use to some of the weather issues. Having a change of clothes at work is key!

Quote Originally Posted by 36Miles View Post
    Here you go, bedwards... Got caught in thunderstorms going and coming today. This is from the ride home. I'm not a great photographer. It's much more awe-inspiring in person.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170810_15_31_32_Pro.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	1151534
    Look pretty awe-inspiring to me.

Easy peddling for me today, I'm trying my first road race tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 161