Page 222 of 222 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222
Results 22,101 to 22,156 of 22156
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well I thought it was going great when a pedestrian said "nice @$$" as I rode by but when I looked over my shoulder to smile at this gal with a pony tail I realized it was a dude with a pony tail. Explains the deep voice. Not that there's anything wrong with that....
    My real name is Roger Ng. Would you enjoy a proper Roger Ng?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Well I told my wife about my world record and her response was "World Record?". I had to explain that since I am the only one in the whole world who rides from our house to the office this qualifies as a WORLD RECORD. In fact, I told her, it's also a GALACTIC RECORD. She rolled her eyes and said something like "whatever you think honey". What a buzzkill.

Cool and misty this morning. I took it easy since I think I'll ride the long way home tonight.

Dutchman, very cool on riding with your sons. Wish I could have done that with my boys when they were younger.

I think I'll take cool and misty over hot and humid bedwards...

mtbr member
    ^^ Why limit it to the Milky Way? It is a Cosmic Record!

guy
    Checking in after a long absence. I hope everyone is doing well.

I got lazy with commuting over the winter, opting for structured training on the turbo inside instead. got back into it this spring, but have been off and on for the last month due to my mtb race schedule. Had 4 races of 100km or 6hrs in 5 weeks, so I generally didn't have any legs left for commuting. Past the gauntlet now so trying to get back in the habit.

Commute today was hot and annoying. Took a detour thanks to a train across my route, but it backfired because I got caught in a 1 lane construction zone for 20 minutes waiting for my turn to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Well I told my wife about my world record and her response was "World Record?". I had to explain that since I am the only one in the whole world who rides from our house to the office this qualifies as a WORLD RECORD. In fact, I told her, it's also a GALACTIC RECORD. She rolled her eyes and said something like "whatever you think honey". What a buzzkill.

Cool and misty this morning. I took it easy since I think I'll ride the long way home tonight.

Dutchman, very cool on riding with your sons. Wish I could have done that with my boys when they were younger.

I think I'll take cool and misty over hot and humid bedwards...
    I think it would be funny if your wife destroyed your galactic record. Just to show who's boss.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Been super lazy here because it has been really hot. Like 91°F when I would leave for work. Better than winter, but holy hell, I would be a really sweaty mess when I got there. Instead I have been riding at night after I get home or on days off. Friday was a solo 30 mile ride that started at 11 pm. Monday was a 41 mile ride, 23 miles with a Monday night local group and it was a decent pace. 91°F at 6:05 pm when we started. The rest of the miles that day were me riding to the ride and then back home.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 1304.3/5000

Pcyclo
    Thanks woodway

IH, HYHT.
    My "People drive more aggressively on the way home from work than they do on the way to work" theory got another data point yesterday. I was approaching an intersection where the bike bath (really a triple wide sidewalk) crosses an intersection that's under construction. The on coming (nearside) traffic is single lane for the moment and appeared to be going straight (no one had turn signals on for the right turn). Just as I entered the intersection I notice the wheels on a car turn toward the right and realize that the guy sees me and thinks he can beat me through the turn. Really fortunate I'd just adjusted the brakes or I wouldn't have been able to lock up both tires. He too locked up his tires and we came inches from collision. I thought he was gonna give me some opinion about my riding, but instead I just get this FU look and "Oops". Rest of the ride was just hot, windy and dusty. I'm lovin' the new route, 4 miles of pavement followed by15 miles of gravel road and crushed rock trail.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^Good reactions Forster. Always have to be on guard.

Going home last night I pulled up behind another cyclist at an intersection. He was riding a clunker hybrid but then I noticed he had attached one of those electric conversion kits.

The light turned green and predictably, he pushed his button and pulled away from me. But then we got to a long downhill and with my taller gearing I passed him and put some distance on him. The stupid commuter race was on - how long could I stay in front of him? For the next five miles I found that I could slowly pull away from him on the flats, really pull away on a downhill, but he gained on me uphill. I managed to keep in front until our routes diverged. It was fun.

The end result: A NEW WORLD RECORD riding home last night. Crushed my old record by almost two minutes. But I did not tell my wife about it

Enjoy your rides everyone!

mtbr member
    Nice race Woodway!

Been warm this week. Set to hit maybe 30C by the weekend! Warm weather predicted for the next 3 months on the long range forecast, so that's like an actual summer! We'll see.

Only thing to report was a near miss with a motorcycle. I take a turn across traffic right after a ped crossing. Not allowed to overtake on those; in theory. Truck coming up the incline toward me. I need to wait for him to pass to turn. Motorbike decides that's a good place to pass the lorry obviously unaware of me. I saw him a ways back and guessed what he was gonna do but cars were coming from behind also. So I'm in the middle of the road, waiting to turn as he comes round the truck, sees me, freezes for an instant ( I could see it in his eyes), poo'd, regained his senses and passed close by enough to undoubtedly hear me calling him a dick followed by a honk from the truck.
    2017 - 1018/4000 commute miles

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ^^Good reactions Forster. Always have to be on guard.

Going home last night I pulled up behind another cyclist at an intersection. He was riding a clunker hybrid but then I noticed he had attached one of those electric conversion kits.

The light turned green and predictably, he pushed his button and pulled away from me. But then we got to a long downhill and with my taller gearing I passed him and put some distance on him. The stupid commuter race was on - how long could I stay in front of him? For the next five miles I found that I could slowly pull away from him on the flats, really pull away on a downhill, but he gained on me uphill. I managed to keep in front until our routes diverged. It was fun.

The end result: A NEW WORLD RECORD riding home last night. Crushed my old record by almost two minutes. But I did not tell my wife about it

Enjoy your rides everyone!
    I enjoyed reading this. Was trying to picture it in my head.

Pcyclo
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I enjoyed reading this. Was trying to picture it in my head.
    Me too

No ride for me today and for the rest of the week :-/

@Buster: you mean iohan georgiyev from bikewanderer.com? I am following his channel too

@Olmarin: like your signature

mtbr member
    no commute today have 3 day weekend! Then a short 2 day commute next week for some more vacation camping with the fam for 5 days.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention this homeless guy blocking the entire trail a few days ago, had to turn around and go back over the bridge. I've talked to him a few times since and he makes a path to get by now. He's a regular in the hood.

2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

IH, HYHT.
    Eight miles away from making the whole commute (33 miles both ways) to work. Funny, you ride all winter (17 mile loop to/from work from the midpoint trail head) and one little accident, suddenly you're all out of shape after a month. Dang.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    @Buster: you mean iohan georgiyev from bikewanderer.com? I am following his channel too
    Yes. So inspiring. What an amazing adventure.

Pcyclo
    Wow Forster, 33m is indeed quite a stretch - is about double the distance that I ride per day. So keep training, keep riding but most of all: Stay safe and be careful!

Buster: Yes Iohan is not the only one riding around the world or the Panamericana - but one of the very few making such extensive videos of it. He changed bikes a few times and every time he gets fatter tires. I believe he started with a Surly Troll with 2" spiketires on the ice roads in the north and now he is riding a fatbike with 4" tires...

Yesterday we participated in the annual Star Ride again and rode the bridge and Autobahn again. Unfortunately about halfway the kids started arguing in the trailer so we had to leave. We went to the river and let the kids play a while. After that we rode home through the harbour area and all in all we made about the same distance that we had originally planned, about 40km.

A short vid is here. Unfortunately it focuses more on the politicians - the bold guy talking is the city mayor who participated as well.
    Fahrradsternfahrt in Hamburg | NDR.de - Fernsehen - Sendungen A-Z - Hamburg Journal

Today back into commute riding. Nice this morning, 18C but then it turned hot. 29C on the way home, big blue sky and no shade anywhere. Took a 0.8L bottle of water with me and it was almost finished when I came home after 35minutes. It will stay warm during the night, tomorrowmorning again 20C probably but temp is forecasted at ~25C for the way home.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Eight miles away from making the whole commute (33 miles both ways) to work. Funny, you ride all winter (17 mile loop to/from work from the midpoint trail head) and one little accident, suddenly you're all out of shape after a month. Dang.
    Does 33 miles "both ways" mean if you go both ways it is 33 miles or is that 33 miles each way? 66 miles round trip would be quite a commitment more than a few times/week.

I found another locking knife today on my way in. This makes 3 in about a year. This one has been runned over quite a few time but the blade is still in good shape.

It's been MUGGY here. Today we are dodging thunderstorms. I think my wife got a clear shot home. It looks touch and go for the time I usually leave.

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Does 33 miles "both ways" mean if you go both ways it is 33 miles or is that 33 miles each way? 66 miles round trip would be quite a commitment more than a few times/week.

I found another locking knife today on my way in. This makes 3 in about a year. This one has been runned over quite a few time but the blade is still in good shape.

It's been MUGGY here. Today we are dodging thunderstorms. I think my wife got a clear shot home. It looks touch and go for the time I usually leave.
    I just reread that, not super clear. 33 miles is the round trip distance. Between here and Gravel worlds (I'm planning on riding the half, don't have the shoulders for 150 miles at that pace) I'll add another 17 mile loop on the ride home to get to 3-50 milers during the week.

My other ride
    Been triple digits after work here for the past week. I left work early today to go to a medical appointment, so it was probably only 90 on my ride home.

Then I rode 20 miles to my appointment when it was 100+ into the wind.

Then another 10 to my wife's work to carpool home.

My bike commute is roughly 9 miles one way (nice distance). But two years ago I was leaving home at 2:15am to ride 32 miles to work, then I would ride another 20 or so miles combined with the commuter train home. Oh, plus running at my lunch break and long runs (4+ hours) on the weekends and swimming when I could. Fantastic ironman distance training!

But I didn't get hit by a car or attacked today!

mtbr member
    Well I actually managed a full five days on the bike last week. Mostly kinda warm. Off work yesterday but back on it today. Tensioned the rear wheel over the weekend which seems to have made a nice difference. 1/4 turn on the spokes all the way round.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today will be an interesting commute. The race will be on, not with another cyclist, but with the weather. Will post results later tonight.

CB of the East
    ^^ I lost my race with the weather last night but it wasn't a thunderstorm so that was good. It was raining hard for some of it and I was soaked. It was a blast. Nice warm rain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I lost that race last night as well. I was actually kind of enjoying it since it was warm, but the wind, rain and occasional thunder and lightning my wife got in the car and tracked me down without me asking.

Told me to wipe the smile off my face and load my bike in the car...

Weather is perfect today.

Pcyclo
    5/5 days is very good SlipSpace! Last week I had only 2/5, this week probably 4/5.

No need to dodge the weather over here lately, just seeking for shadow.

Long time ago that I could ride in warm rain...

Today was a nice day again. Brought my youngest to Kindergarten, then rode to work with a collegue whose kid is in the same Kindergarten, we met there accidently and rode together. 18C already and sunny this morning.

Temps got stuck at 22C today, in addition the wind picked up but it was a nice ride home again. Met wife and kids on the playground near home. This always follows the same procedure: When I notice that they are there, I ring my bell continuously. Then the kids come running to the entrance shouting Daddy, daddy, daddy... etc. Then I put them both on my bike (one on the saddle, one on the toptube) and walk to my wife. Good times.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I missed the rain. I don't want to talk about how many close calls I had with drivers. It put my normally good mood into a bad mood by the time I got to work. After the fifth one, I stopped counting.

mtbr member
    It's great when kids are that age Dutchman, always so pleased to see you. Mine are older, still pleased to see me think but tend to get 'aight' or 'sup' as a greeting

Ten, maybe the longer nights and heat bring them out?

I got knocked of by a jogger on my way home last night. He just ran straight out of a blind side path onto the mup, I kinda hit him at the same time I saw him. I seem to remember trying to brake, then I was on the floor. He was very apologetic. It was quite amicable really, no proper damage, he scuffed his knees a bit, I got my shin and another set of scuffs on the Ortlieb (why do I always fall that side!). Not long and we were both on our way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My first commute in nearly 2 years, but this time with upgrades: New Saddle; new wheel set; road cassette; new grips; and I purchased a Cygolite Metro 850 so that I could depart earlier.

Still Slow, but I'm glad I got the first one done.

How was your commute today?-ijghmzzzzz.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-ijgghzzzzz.png  

Pcyclo
    No other routes possible Tenspeed?

Thanks Slipspace. Sometimes I am secretly looking forward to the age that they only want to look at their phone and don't want to know that crazy old guy on the bike .... ;o)) But I am enjoying it until then. And I hope you're doing alright and the jogger too!

Nice rides for me again today. 9C this morning, nice 21C again on the way home. Tomorrow is expected to have thunderstorms in the morning, will have to leave extra early to avoid them. After that it will get hot, up to 30C is forecasted. Never had thunderstorms in the morning and getting hot after that. Normally, the storms come after the heat.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    I got knocked of by a jogger on my way home last night. He just ran straight out of a blind side path onto the mup, I kinda hit him at the same time I saw him. I seem to remember trying to brake, then I was on the floor. He was very apologetic. It was quite amicable really, no proper damage, he scuffed his knees a bit, I got my shin and another set of scuffs on the Ortlieb (why do I always fall that side!). Not long and we were both on our way.
    Damn, glad you were alright.

Way to go Jelako!

The weather has been wonderful here. I took the long way home to visit granny. She was very happy to see me. Glad I brought the lights because she didn't want to let our visit end too soon.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/1046612682

IH, HYHT.
    Careless trail Ninja and life threatening motorists? Sound's pretty familiar. I'm pretty adept at finding the best route but I've never been able to avoid either entirely. My tactic, be as polite as possible until that fails then get loud and threaten to call the police. I can also quote the law as well as any high school dropout, which seems to help. Trail Ninja get the "condescending father" speech until I achieve eye-roll. Usually I've got a fake news story about a runner killed by a biker to throw in for good measure.

Pcyclo
    Well I was lucky today. Nice ride to work, 16C, light wind and sunshine. Around lunchtime a stormfront rolled over and it was short but scary. It appeared to be a socalled supercell and in the north of town even a small tornado was sighted. It got really very dark and we just got the edge of it, so not much lightning but heavy wind and powerful rain. Next to my building a 10m high tree fell over. Further up north in town roofs were damaged, 1 person died when a tree fell on the car and a cyclist was heavily injured by another tree. Airport was temporarily closed and flightradar24.com showed a big gap in air traffic where the supercell was. After that temps quickly rose to 26C and some sun and we are supposed to get more around midnight. Humid air on the ride home and no wind at all...

mtbr member
    This morning I had to pull off the road in order for a truck carrying a construction trailer down the street. That's a first.

Yesterday, I scared some guy who ran a red light. He turned out right in front of me, and I yelled out "Hey, man! You have a red light" through his open window. The guy paused for a second in the middle of the intersection and then kept rolling. I knew the guy wasn't going to stop and made sure to keep a safe distance.

Pcyclo
    Temps dropped around 10C compared to yesterday. Drove first this morning to register the new car, picking it up tomorrow. Then drove home and hopped on the bike at 7.45 with 15C and drizzle. Put on the new windstopper jacket, water repellant worked perfectly! Put on a hardshell pants as well which was a bit sweaty in the end. Included a nice detour on the way home, made for 30k today and rode 5/5 days this week. Will be shopping for a bike carrier tomorrow, finally having a car that I can put one on.

Moderator Moderator
    Hi all! Been riding but everything else has been hectic. I got the new bike on Thursday and she had her christening yesterday in crazy rain on both trips (1.25" total). In one puddle I had to look down to check that the bottom bracket was not submerged. On the plus side, she handles very well in high seas! I did not stop for a wet picture, but here it is after pickup, it's an Orbea Terra:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-new-bike-day-orbea.jpg  

Pcyclo
    Nice bike mtbx! Those hoods look very comfy, which ones are those?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Thanks cyclingdutch! The hoods are Shimano 105.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Hi all! Been riding but everything else has been hectic. I got the new bike on Thursday and she had her christening yesterday in crazy rain on both trips (1.25" total). In one puddle I had to look down to check that the bottom bracket was not submerged. On the plus side, she handles very well in high seas! I did not stop for a wet picture, but here it is after pickup, it's an Orbea Terra:

I was just noticing that you hadn't popped in for a while. Nice looking commuter. The best of both worlds. Light and fast with places to put fenders. It must make riding the rain bike feel less like punishment.

Nothing to report other than beautiful summer weather.

mtbr member
    Nothing to report other than beautiful summer weather.
    Here either. The weather has been fantastic, and drivers have been alright too. I'm hoping to claim a KOM or two on my commute. It's going to be a challenge on my SS, since I'm mostly going up against road bikes, but I have a shot on a couple climbs.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Happily took 3rd overall on a segment riding home Saturday night from work. This is a segment that I never thought I would ever break into the top 10 fastest riders of. I am officially 5 seconds back of 2nd place and 15 seconds of a KOM. Not sure that will ever happen but I am shooting for it. Nice weather here, but cool at night, like the 50's. Not much to report other than just normal riding. Had a few bike lane offender issues but aside from that, pretty normal.

mtbr member
    Glad you guys are having nice weather, the summer blast furnace is in full effect here now. Today was the first commute in about a week and a half due to it being above 110F for 10 days straight. And I went out of town for a few days too, so that's a better excuse . 106 on the way home today felt nice.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    I finally broke the 1000 commute miles for the year, that makes me about 1000 behind my target at the start of the year...

Rode monday but the heat of a couple of weeks ago is well gone. Yesterday and today have been heavy rain, all the time, with no let up. Lots of standing water/floods. Really not nice to be out in.

mtbr member
    Man. I missed a KOM by 4 seconds last night (one I thought would be really tough to beat on my commuter), but I did manage to bag one. I don't usually track my rides, but I like trying to get faster times every once in a while to keep things interesting.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I finally broke the 1000 commute miles for the year, that makes me about 1000 behind my target at the start of the year...

Rode monday but the heat of a couple of weeks ago is well gone. Yesterday and today have been heavy rain, all the time, with no let up. Lots of standing water/floods. Really not nice to be out in.
    Congrats. I am like you, way behind for the year. Miles don't seem to be racking up like I thought they would. Last 3 Monday nights I have done a group ride that total miles ends up around 43. Seems like my number just sticks.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Man. I missed a KOM by 4 seconds last night (one I thought would be really tough to beat on my commuter), but I did manage to bag one. I don't usually track my rides, but I like trying to get faster times every once in a while to keep things interesting.
    It's amazing how long a second is in the world of KOMs. I went out for a hard ride this weekend and missed a KOM on an 11 mile segment by 10 seconds and it was the difference between 1st and 5th. That's less than 1 second/mile difference! I did win the KOM for the 40 mile segment I was gunning for so it's all good.

If you can get the KOM on your "commuter" bike the bar isn't set high enough.

Pcyclo
    Amazing how fanatically you guys are tracking your mileage, set goals and are trying to achieve KOMs. I am actually doing nothing of that ...

Rode every day of the week so far. Pretty weather, light rain on the way home today but at 24C no problem. Will probably have to drive tomorrow and ride again on Friday.

mtbr member
    If you can get the KOM on your "commuter" bike the bar isn't set high enough.
    I might not be not going up against the best at their best, but I'm impressed with myself for averaging nearly 22mph on these segments. On my SS, that means I'm spinning at over 120 rpms average.

I bagged to 8th place finishes over the weekend on a couple MUP climbs that get a ton of bike traffic. I'm pretty proud of those. I wish I could get better results on mtb trails, but there is a lot of good competition for those, although I do have one 6th place and one 7th place finish on trails.

Amazing how fanatically you guys are tracking your mileage, set goals and are trying to achieve KOMs. I am actually doing nothing of that ...
    I'm not very fanatical about it. I've tracked fewer than 10 commutes in the last 10 years, although I'm starting to track more of them in the past year (maybe 4-5). I just started Strava-ing a few months ago. It's kind of fun in moderation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone else commute by unicycle?

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I'm not very fanatical about it. I've tracked fewer than 10 commutes in the last 10 years, although I'm starting to track more of them in the past year (maybe 4-5). I just started Strava-ing a few months ago. It's kind of fun in moderation.
    Moderation?

I'm fairly fanatical. All my "training" is from my commutes and I don't own a trainer but I can hold my own with most (not all) of the local racers. I see them all retreat to zwift when the weather turns bad. #commuterpride.

I caught a ride home last night and left my bike at work. Now I have 2 bikes here and no car . I'm out of sync. But I do have my choice of bikes for the ride home.

Pcyclo
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post

Do you?

Pcyclo
    Ok maybe I would like to mention that "passionate" or enthusiastic" might have been better than "fanatically". In any way, I support everything that brings people on the bike rather than in the car.

And now that I think about it, I do hope to keep my yearly distance to around 4500km / 3000m so I do have a goal after all. But I didnt check yet if I am on track. Would be a good time now since we are now pretty much exactly halfway in the year.

Pcyclo
    #commuterpride >> like that one

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Do you?
    Is that a dare?

IH, HYHT.
    I finally broke the 1000 commute miles for the year, that makes me about 1000 behind my target at the start of the year.
    I’m pretty far behind too. I lost a month to the elbow and a week to a vacation in the mountains. (Had to choose between taking the dog hiking or bringing the bikes.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Very windy commute in. Had me going all kinds of sideways and what not. Ride home was dodging the raindrops. Got wet but not soaked. It pretty much held off, but it is coming, in fact severe storms forecasted for the next few days. I was mumbling stuff under my breath until I came upon this, which I ride every day.

How was your commute today?-overpass1.jpgHow was your commute today?-overpass2.jpg

I really hope that these show correctly. For some reason they disabled linking from sites like Imgur which I have always used. It is too bad because this shrinks them down so much.

Anyway, the mural is dedicated to the city I guess, as it represents the capital where I live. Very cool because some days as I was riding to work, I saw a guy out there with paint, not a city worker, just a guy, and he must be the guy that they got to do this. I said hi to him a few times, he gave me the thumbs up on the bike thing with me blasting some house music at the light from my little speaker. He did a great job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    I can ride one, not well, but I can put it on my CV/Resume ; but 10 miles each way commute; no I don't think so..

Tenspeed, that mural and bridge look great, really brightens up what could otherwise be quite an intimidating place

Members who have read this thread: 210