Page 221 of 221 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221
Results 22,001 to 22,060 of 22060
    Pcyclo
    Rode only Monday and Tuesday, today it rained and I already took off the fenders and lights. Starting my biketour on Lanzarote and Fuerteventura next Friday. Packing the bike in the box tonight, panniers are ready to be packed tomorrow. If all goes well I will be on the bike Friday by noon in Arrecife, heading to Mirador del Rio. From there I will ride Lanzarote and Fuerteventura from north to south. Probably finish in a week, flying back end of next week on Sunday evening.

After that I will be a week off more and in a holiday center with the whole family. Transition from lone bike touring to a crowded "touristhive" will be the toughest I think.

Will think of all of you when I am watching the sunset on a volcano crater edge while sipping red wine

CyclingDutchman, Germany, signing off

mtbr member
    Sounds awesome! Stay safe, have fun and enjoy your trip!!
    2017 - 868/4000 commute miles

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Some interesting stuff being posted here recently...bears, ball cleaner, dude's carrying crosses, bikes riding into ditches. I'm enjoying reading it all.

We've had four whole days without rain here in Seattle. Amazing! This morning was especially pleasant so I took the long way to work and turned my 9 mile commute to the office into a 25 mile commute. It was glorious.

CyclingDutchman - be sure to post some photos so we can all live vicariously through you.

mtbr member
    Ride home was a tee only trip. Lovely and sunny, but damn that north easterly had a bite to it.

Adjusted one of my cleats last night, I felt like my foot was too far back. I guess I must have put it back in the wrong place after it came loose a while back. Not sure why I didn't pick up it before. Anyway made a nice difference this morning, which was also a tee only ride. Not gonna get used to it though as the weather turns again from tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Had a really nice one yesterday. Going to go on a singletrack mountain bike ride from work today instead of commuting. Here is a pic from yesterday, on the "new" vintage steed. It holds all my stuff, when I need to haul all that much, am going to start trying to reduce what I carry around, quite well. Super comfortable ride, feels more swift and lively than my converted Fisher, and will not need too much more than a new saddle to my preference, new bar, and stem. Along with general clean up. The freewheel is a little sticky on back pedaling, the shifters feel stiff, so some cable and housing work, and friction adjustment, is in order. Oh, and will need to replace tires at some point. But these old ones seem to be working fine right now for pavement. And also should re-pack stuff, just to be thorough. But, is a really nice bike that will clean up nicely!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got into an intense standoff on my way home yesterday...with a groundhog.

It was a nice day yesterday, so my wife rode with me and I had my dog loaded up on the cargo bike. On the way home along a section of MUP we were letting my dog walk to stretch her legs and there was a groundhog ahead on the path. I didn't think much of it, I see them pretty often and they just scurry away, but not this guy. We kept getting closer and closer, eventually we are about 6 feet away and he is just staring at us and not budging. I'm ringing my bell, honking my horn, waving my arms...my dog is really wanting to investigate whatever that thing is...still just stares at us. After a minute or so of trying to scare him off, I pull out my water bottle and squirt him and he shoots off like a rocket, he was probably 100 yards away before I lost sight of him and he was still going. Doesn't like water apparently.

CB of the East
    ^^Good eatin' size? How to Skin, Clean, Cook and Eat a Groundhog That just happened to me with a red fox on a road ride. He didn't let me get quite as close but he did stand there and stare at me until I got pretty close.

This week has been awesome compared to the forecast which was for mostly rain. It has been cold and gray most of the week but I'm not getting wet and I'm not complaining.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Completed the Global Bike To Work Challenge on Strava for the 11th. Rode to the dentist office and home which was a 10 mile trip, had lunch, rode 9 miles to work on a slightly purposeful detour, and then did 12 miles for the ride home doing some late night exploring.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 924.6/5000

Did I catch a niner+?
    Wore long socks and a vest to work with short sleeves, will probably just need shorts to get home. We have 30 degree swings happening around here.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Today is "trail maintenance" day.

Brought a shovel with me so on the way in I could fill in a rut on my path that get's super muddy when it rains. On the way home there is a section of shoulder that is so covered in gravel and debris it's pretty sketchy to ride through, so I'm going to clear a path there as well.

CB of the East
    Riding around lakes for my commute.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/982655942

Happy Friday All! I'm bringing the car home for the weekend and resting my legs for a long ride tomorrow.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Cool video of your route. I miss all those lakes.

Formula4speed, haha, groundhog day!

Nothing too exciting this week. A dusting of snow one day, and 70F another. Missing my "virtually unbreakable" Axiom rear fender; it broke. No reinforcement at forward attachment hole in the plastic, it broke there first (where it attached to the FD cable pulley), and then ziptie fix resulted in full fender destruction a few rides later. If I get another, I would consider some rubber washers on either side of the attachment hole - if they fit. Too bad, I really liked that nifty attachment to the quick release for eyelet-less bikes.

CB of the East
    ^^Hmm, my rear planet bike fender broke at the front attachment hole. I considered a zip tie fix but it seemed to be happy where it was so it's just sitting there. This seems like an argument to be lazy and just leave it.

The temps this week are forecast to be way above normal as opposed to last week where they were way below normal. I'm looking forward to the heat!

I think it is bike to work week. Where is everybody?

mtbr member
    Every week is bike to work week! Nothing fun going on here, although every time I post I seem to have some sort of "adventure" happen soon after. Weather is hot and looking to be undramatic for the week ahead.

mtbr member
    Not quite dead yet. So reading but not posting. Here!

mtbr member
    Back on the commuter today after a weeks vacation and another coming up soon. This has to be the windiest spring on record, it's never going to stop! Saw a couple other commuters on the trail today (I usually see none) maybe they were inspired by the ride your bike to work or school whatever it was, yay!
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

NDD
    Baby boy
    First day back at commuting. Ride to new seasonal job is about 3 miles each way. Racking up the miles! On the bright side headed to work is a good sized hill and headed home I get to coast down it.
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Back on the commuter today after a weeks vacation and another coming up soon. This has to be the windiest spring on record, it's never going to stop! Saw a couple other commuters on the trail today (I usually see none) maybe they were inspired by the ride your bike to work or school whatever it was, yay!
    Do you know, I had that same thought this morning! It seems like the wind has been right around the low teens for months!

That said I think it was quite welcome this morning, 17C and humid, still mostly overcast though the sun is now starting to appear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Do you know, I had that same thought this morning! It seems like the wind has been right around the low teens for months!
    It sure seems like it right? For at least 2 months everyone's allergies have been going nuts, mine included. All the pollen and dust blowing around.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

I'd rather be on my bike
    Hot ride in with a head wind. Sweet ride home with a side of Strava KOM. Had one that was shared with a guy I know. Gapped that time by 6 seconds!!! The funny thing is that it felt kind of slow even though I was pushing hard. Still have a few more to take back.

Pcyclo
    Hey guys, just chiming in here in the middle of my biketour. All well, lots of climbing and sweet descents. I take the offroad routes where possible, but also drivers are really extremely nice, leaving a lot of space when they overtake. Body and mind are good but bike is reaching its limits on the lava gravel.roads. had a snakebite on saturday and.forgot the spare tubes so.sunday I was pumping air.every 20min and the patches held up only a few hours somehow. Got new tubes mondaymorning and I am rolling again, but the front dynamo hub bearing has some play now. Sun is really dangerous here, longsleeves and uv buff are necessary. Will probably ride 2more days and check into a hotel.friday evening cor cleaning and packing up.for the flight homr on sunday.

I can definitely recommend the canarian islands for touring, but make.sure to bring an mtb or fatbike. My.conti speedrides are really doing a hell of s job but 41mm often just isnt enough to go where I want. A new project is on the horizon ;o))

Best greetings to all of you from tuineje, fuerteventura.

CD

Pcyclo
    PS: at least navigating with phone and charging via dynamo hub is working beyond expectations. Considering the climate, I think a solar panel would do.the job as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mexican food + beer + commuting the next day = scary moments
    My real name is Hugh Jass.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Hot ride in with a head wind. Sweet ride home with a side of Strava KOM. Had one that was shared with a guy I know. Gapped that time by 6 seconds!!! The funny thing is that it felt kind of slow even though I was pushing hard. Still have a few more to take back.
    Strava KOMS are always an added bonus on the commute.

I've done 66 miles of "commuting" in the last 2 rides. Managed a KOM on one of them too even though it wasn't the one I was trying for. I got 2nd on that one and I don't imagine I'll ever dethrone the current king.
    Last night:
    https://www.relive.cc/view/990767245
    This morning around a lot of lakes with a bonus sunrise picture.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/992049026

Short-Change-Hero
    Well since it is "Bike to Work Week" for the state challenge I decided it was as good a time as ever to get back into it. Mind you I just started riding consistently again, let alone period, about 6wks ago after having broken my leg/ankle in July last year while mtbing in NorCal.

Of course this week had to be the week that I also started a new 5-day a week bootcamp, plus softball, plus suddenly having to go into scramble time for the wife's new salon construction. Needless to say it is only Wednesday and I am sore like no tomorrow and still have to commute home. Oh did I mention it has been about 30* in the morning when I have been leaving yet in the 60s when I head home?! Seriously Mother Nature, you're drunk and need to go home!!

Feels great to be back on the bike and pedaling again... So far this week for commuting along I have racked up 19.3 miles and will be swapping one day of bootcamp for a minimum of a 10 mile ride. Go big or go home right?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Picked up a ride to i can commute now. Commuting is awesome, but getting up an hour earlier is not.

How was your commute today?-0517171658.jpg

here's the pic. sorry it didn't upload earlier. it's a specialized sirrus pro, before internal routing and disc brakes. has ksyrium sl wheels. the bike appears to be unridden, but i know it's a few years old.

does anyone know about ksyrium sl wheels? what kind of a beating can they take? there's a bit of gravel here and there, and a lot of dirt roads in the area, was hoping they were up to the task.
    Last edited by deerkiller; 1 Week Ago at 10:00 PM.

Training for the Darwin's
    Yup, I get up at 0420 on the short ride days and 0320 on the long ride days. As much as I dislike the time I get up, I'd start at midnight if I could ride anytime in May. Stupid broken elbow.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

I'd rather be on my bike

Windy af.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good time Dutchman! Not at all jealous, not one bit.. glad you're enjoying it. You'll have to let me know how you managed a week in the Canaries, on your own!

Wow, that's early starts guys, I'm not sure I could do that to be honest. Kudos

Gregnash, you'll be ripped AF if you make it through the week.

Forster, how's the recovery doing?

Tenspeed. They're just trying to go the wrong way is all.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, my rides. Humid, light wind and humid as anything yesterday. Sweating just standing around. I was a sweating dribbly mess when I got to work (more so than usual). Shower worked while I was in it but sweats started as soon as I was out. Too me a while to find my equilibrium again.

Today, brighter, windier and cooler. Good riding.

Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post

Forster, how's the recovery doing?
    Okay, the cut is healing quickly, the swelling is better, the olecranon (elbow protrusion of the arm) is still pretty big (don't know how much of that is temporary). I'm working the joint pretty aggressively to get the full range of motion back without a second surgery but there seems to be a lot of adhesion going on now. I see the doc in two weeks and I'm expecting to be able to ride again after that visit.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Long process but i'm glad it's going the right direction. All the best for the Docs visit!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Pics, dutchman, pics.

Love that wind video tenspeed, agree those guys need to hop on and head the other way...KOMs to be had!

My commute streak is up to 25 days in a row. We are expecting at least eight days without rain here in Seattle, and it's supposed to climb up into the 80's next week. Whoo-hoo.

CB of the East
    Windy af.
    LOL, that's why all my road bikes have MTB pedals, more traction. That, and no duck walking.

Yes, pics dutchman! Here's one from my commute yesterday. Y'all can pretend that it is from a fun vacation.
    How was your commute today?-20170517_054240.jpg

I took the Viva Sport today. First time it's been out this year. It's also the first time it has been warm enough in the morning not to wear some kind of jacket. Supposed to hit near 90F this afternoon. I'm not complaining. In other words Whoo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ^Since you aren't complaining about it, I will.

It's going to hit 91F today, and it's making me miss winter. I do not like the heat.

Pcyclo
    Slipspace, woodway: will try to post some pics over the weekend. Packed.up the bike already at the local bikerental and checked into a hotel here now for 1 night. Flying home tomorrw evening.

I rode approx 370km in 6 days with approx. 5000m of climbing. Its not much I think but I am the only one doing it without a hotel and rental car. And I think I still have seen much more of lanzarote and fuerteventura as most tourists.

Still I am glad that I can go back home to wife n kids. Miss them really by now #papaholic

CB of the East
    ^^Sounds like a great trip! Safe travels.

Today's commute for National Bike to Work Day was fantastic. Nice warm temps with a gentle breeze blowing in the right direction.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^Sounds like a nice ride, and great photo upthread.

Safe travels home dutchman!

Sunshine and 70 in the Seattle area today. Feeling good.

I'd rather be on my bike
    National Bike To Work Day right? Rode to the shop for a shift. 2 days ago it felt like the face of the sun it was so dang hot here. Today? 44°F and a huge headwind on the way in. Had sleeves and my cold weather gloves on. Is this for real right now? Got into an argument with a guy who parked his truck and trailer in the bike lane to mow a few yards. Obviously that is far more important than blocking the bike lane. Gave up when he started cursing at me and telling me to go copulate myself. Accidentally left there with my middle finger up. Ride home amazingly had that same headwind, although it did warm up slightly into the 50's, it was raining. Booooooo.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute today but I am up early to head out to a local yearly Hospice ride that I haven't missed in a long while. 8 miles to the ride, 30 mile ride, then back home. My Mom was in Hospice (Florida) but that the location is irrelevant. Their services to a comfortable end of life are invaluable. They take just as much care of the family as they do the patient. In silent remembrance.

No commute today but I am up early to head out to a local yearly Hospice ride that I haven't missed in a long while. 8 miles to the ride, 30 mile ride, then back home. My Mom was in Hospice (Florida) but that the location is irrelevant. Their services to a comfortable end of life are invaluable. They take just as much care of the family as they do the patient. In silent remembrance.
    Amen to that. My father-in-law passed on March 3rd and the hospice care he received the last week of his life is what kept my our family from being completely drained that week.

Pcyclo
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Slipspace, woodway: will try to post some pics over the weekend.
    Promise kept. For those who think they can handle it:

https://goo.gl/photos/7vPXtDnpHsE2xj828

The comments are in Dutch, maybe Google Photos translates them automatically?

Keep ridin and stay safe!

I'd rather be on my bike
    50.2 miles done before 11:30 am, and I am spent. It was exactly 10 miles to the start of the ride. Took the fixed gear because it's my favorite bike and the rain was looking to hold off. Got a nice warm up in on the way out, so when the actual ride started, old boy here was totally warmed up. It isn't a race, and it is not timed, there are SAG vehicles and it is on the open country roads. I left with a couple of older women on nice road bikes and they set a great pace for the first 4 miles or so. She asked me if I wanted a pull on the lead so I took it, and she said she would drop back. Not a mile later, I had dropped them. Now, I was not flying, just a nice pace at 17mph which is exactly what she was leading with, so I kept it going. It was one of those rides where you just felt good, even with the bumpy country roads and the headwind, I was moving right along. The rest stop was just 19 miles in, and I made it there about an hour and 9 minutes in. Took my water and ate a Clif bar with a 10 minute pit stop and I was back out on the road.

Ended up doing the ride in about 1 hour 50 minutes or so. Pretty good pace for a solo fixed ride I would say. Ended up being the first rider back and they were a little surprised that I was back so soon. Then the rain came a little, and the temp dropped, and I got cold. Too warm for a windbreaker or sleeves, but too cold for just a jersey. Decided that it was time to go so off I went. Wore the Jimmy John's jersey today because why not?

My Mom received the most amazing end of life care in 2008, and actually, we did as a whole family. She was in Florida, where my parents moved and even though this is local, all of the money goes back to the amazing patient care that they offer. Never in my life have I met a nurse that was as compassionate as the wonderful woman who made sure that my Mom had her nails done, and that her hair was looking just right. She took care of my Dad when he spent a few nights there. She hugged my sister and I when she saw us. She was someone who you almost cannot believe exists because no one is that caring and loving. Well, she was, and while I ride for my Mom, I also ride for those nurses who manage to hold it together every day and night while there is nothing but death around them.

mtbr member

We the people ...

Thanks for sharing, that looks like quite an adventure there Dutchman! I was kind of expecting more green until I remembered where they are. Nice application of rule #7 on the arms too

Great respect for nurses so well done on the support guys. Nice ride Ten, that's a good lick for a fixie.

No commute friday as I had to take the car to the shop. Still got the miles in as the dealership is the other side of the city so I chucked the bike in the back, drove there, biked home with the reverse to collect. Took the SS MTB. It's quite a laugh to ride through the town, traffic was rammed but I was in and out of side roads and cycle path so made good progress. Only problem was the sporadic rain and no guards.

Warm today, set to be here for the next week or so I believe

mtbr member
    A little commuting Friday, as I had to drop the car off, and then use my time for exercise and getting to and from home so I could work while I waited for the car. Just out to a local mountain bike trail, rode there, then back into Hailey to check on progress on the car, then up to the house and back in town.

CB of the East

Wow, that looks pretty barren but interesting. It looks like it might be windy too.

Nice job TenSpeed. Unfortunately I've got to experience how important hospice care is with my dad. I'm not sure how they do it. Thanks for supporting it.

Well, gone are the summer days we had last week replaced with 40s and rain this morning. The rest of the week looks rainy but warmer at least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was racing the rain to get to the office and a couple miles into my ride the road is shut down by what looked like every fire truck and ambulance in the state. I was told there was no way for me to go around and I had to turn back.

Turns out a pickup truck decided to take on a building. Haven't gotten anymore detail than that yet, but they shut down a major commuting corridor in both directions at rush hour so it can't be good.

I made it to work 10 minutes early and beat the rain.

Pcyclo
    Thanks SS and bedwards. Indeed it was VERY windy. It is normal for the zone just above the equator, but locals told me that the last 3 weeks were exceptional. Most mountain tops that are in the clouds are usually well free of clouds. There go hiking trails up there that I wanted to explore too but I skipped that. Sometimes I.was pushed uphill by the wind without pedaling and sometimes I had to WALK downhill :8 So no red wine on a volcano crater edge as I had hoped for. Nevertheless it were 8 incredible days and I could talk ages about it but it is too off-topic here and I am not sure if it is.on topic enough for a trip report: too much road, partly gravel, no mtbiking. And most here will probably not go there anyway. I guess its quite similar to the south of the usa and mexico.Keep riding and take care ya all

mtbr member

Awesome! Looks alot like southern Nevada except we have no ocean or water
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Instead of the usual trail I took the roads and bike lanes on the way home today. I don't think I'll do that anymore. You roadies are loco! Got my left elbow shaved a couple times.
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    It was a pretty day today, and I felt like taking pics on the commute home. Kinda showing off, I know. So, here you go.

Heading out toward Sun Valley from Ketchum to add on a little hill and some scenery over the Elkhorn area.

The big bad bald one. (Bald Mountain as seen from Dollar)

Remains of the half-pipe still hanging out on Dollar. Takes a lot of snow to make that thing.

At the top.

Cruising down through Elkhorn. You can see "The Bowls" of Bald mountain peeking through.

The Big Wood River is running high and muddy! It will be a bit before fly fishing starts. This about mid-valley, mid-commute.

A little detour through the Valley Club north of Hailey. Breaks up the ride nicely, and gets me out of the headwind when there is one.

Nearing Hailey. Often a big headwind here. You can see how this used to be the railroad.

Nearly home. The northern outskirts of Hailey.

11-ish miles one way. About 500 feet elevation gain in the morning and descent in the evening. Pretty nice commuting!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 5 Days Ago at 09:07 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice pics and spectacular commute. I've done some mountain biking in your area. Super beautiful.

Tenspeed, great job supporting the hospice. Had a close friend pass from cancer a couple years ago and hospice really helped him out. Condolences on your mom.

Thanks for the pics, dutchman. Looks like a great trip. I really like those barren terrains. So different than what we have around here. Appreciate you sharing.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    PSA: A 10-speed chain does not work on an 11-speed bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ^^ Nice pics and spectacular commute. I've done some mountain biking in your area. Super beautiful.

Tenspeed, great job supporting the hospice. Had a close friend pass from cancer a couple years ago and hospice really helped him out. Condolences on your mom.

Thanks for the pics, dutchman. Looks like a great trip. I really like those barren terrains. So different than what we have around here. Appreciate you sharing.
    Thanks Woodway. Yeah, the mountain biking is more spectacular, IMHO. But not bad for a bike path commute.

@cyclingdutchman, awesome trip!

@Tenspeed, good on ya. Both my own father, and my mother-in-law, benefitted greatly from hospice, not to mention all the family members. And sorry about your Mom.

mtbr member
    Great looking commute route SunValley! Dodging through the golfist park too lol

Nice day yesterday, warm and sunny but still with the wind. There are some roadworks on the city end of my route, normally it's busy but oh boy was the traffic backed up. Good day to be biking. Due there for 3 weeks so I imagine folk will find alternative routes.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    It was a pretty day today, and I felt like taking pics on the commute home. Kinda showing off, I know. So, here you go.
    You win. That is some pretty country!

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    PSA: A 10-speed chain does not work on an 11-speed bike.
    And a 9-speed chain won't work on a 9 speed bike with 10 speed chainrings either. I replaced a drivetrain for a friend but 9 speed rings weren't available. Shifted like crap so I changed to a 10 speed chain and all was well.

The commute was wet last night, cold and clammy this morning but looking good for the afternoon.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thank you for the kind words. This ride is something that I have done a few times now and will continue to support. It was back in 2008 but some days it feels like yesterday.

sunvalleylaw - that is your commute? So jealous!!!!

mtbr member
    Actually caught a tailwind last night which was nice. Got to the foot bridge over the main road and it was rammed and barely moving. Still don't know what the cause was, anything from a breakdown to a serious crash seem to have the same result. People were diverting through the city so it was pretty much gridlocked to. Good day to be on the bike.

This morning is sunny and 21C at 8am but still with a strong wind, the same one that helped me home last night.

mtbr member

sunvalleylaw - that is your commute? So jealous!!!!
    Yep. 45 degrees this morning and a mountain headwind, so uphill and upwind. But a nice, sunny day! Gonna take the converted Fisher to test out the Jones loop bar I put on there today.

CB of the East
    Wet and Windy

Members who have read this thread: 217