Page 171 of 421 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181221271 ... LastLast
Results 8,501 to 8,550 of 21015
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    It snowed the whole time? I don`t think I`ve ever seen it snow below zero F.
    Yup snowed heavily to start and then tapered off as the temp fell....Geez I have seen it snowing at -40C....

That is how you make the really light beautiful Alberta powder.

mtbr member
    True, that makes the best powder, but the real dumps happen when warm and cold fronts are fighting, which is why most snow happens within 20 degrees of the freezing point. To get über cold, we need clear skies.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ That's also why they call the stuff we get "Sierra Cement". gotta get further from the ocean to get the super light stuff... we get some up high, but it's rare. Tahoe powder is very different from Utah powder.

Our typical pattern is: big snow storm hangs out around the freezing point, then the cold front passes and it drops to single digits behind the storm. Our powder actually gets lighter after it's been on the ground a while sometimes, as some of the moisture evaporates.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm going to take the roads to the lake. I think I should make it....
    Yup. Happy weekend everybody!

We get all of those types of snow. Sometimes in the same storm.

Jeffscott, you know the ice is save because it has been below -20C for days on end
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 01-11-2013 at 04:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Jeffscott, you know the ice is save because it has been below 20C for days on end
    Wait, what planet do you live on? What does 20C have to do with ice forming? Or maybe we are making fun of the Celsius users, because that's always fun....always making it sound colder than it really is out there. Just kidding...cough syrup is kicking in.

CB of the East
    ^^Must be the cough syrup. Those tiny minus signs are so hard to see.

mtbr member
    Not a bad ride after work today. Knocked off early and logged 10.0 -- fairly stiff headwind until I made a 180 and headed west to the house. A welcome break from the week's rain!

CB of the East
    Honestly, it was probably the F to C conversion that screwed me up. Celsius is only used in my engineering life. When I use it to talk about weather all bets are off. Not to mention that it is Friday night.

mtbr member
    Hit over 60F today, though it was in the high 50's when I rode. Snow almost all gone. More coming to replace it early next week.

BrianMc

weirdo
    No work tonight, starting swing shift for sure on Monday. Was out driving around twon this afternoon- crazy stuff! it just snowed a LITTLE BIT, but the roads were skating rinks. I drive a 2wd pickup with nothing in the bed and had to chain up as soon as I started getting out of the flat valley bottom. Somehow unbent the little hook end on one of my chains and had to have my dad come resuce me with a couple pairs of Channel Locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Or maybe we are making fun of the Celsius users, because that's always fun....
    Yes it is
    Almost as much fun as making fun of people who roll on tyres
    I can think directly in mm or KM, but have to translate C temps in order to wrap my head around them. But actually, with the international weather reports that we constantly get here in Commuterland, I`m getting pretty good at doing rough tanslations in my head- I just figure 32 +/- C/2 and I know I`m in the ballpark.

Other personal metric/imperial traits: because I work constantly with metric bolts and threads and shafts, I`m more accustomed to them than to SAE sizes. I`m getting pretty close to thinking grams over ounces, but still don`t do KGs over pounds- go figure. Liters are just 1/4 gallons and fluid ounces have never made much sense to me.
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 01-11-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Not to cold at 26F but the wind was killing me on the way home. I ride a 29er Mtn bike about 6 miles each way. Mostly down hill to work and mostly up hill home. Riding into 35+mph winds up hill was a killer but I burned a few hundred more Kcal (Endomondo W/HR mon). Winter is not as much fun as summer.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Sixty three Fahrenheit and another 17 miles. Spring in January is nice but our California fruits and vegetables are going to be expensive with the cold they have.

Some others rode yesterday. The salmon BMXer was surprised. I am not much faster than a spotted salamander yet, so it took longer to catch him than I thought.

BrianMc
    Last edited by BrianMc; 01-13-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow! We've got a January thaw as well, hit about 45F today, so I drove to pavement for 14.5 miles on the road with the cross bike. The road shoulders were super spoogy and everything''s a mess, but I enjoyed it. A pic at the historical society museum and a not-so-frozen-as-it-was lake.

I passed a sign, tortierres, $10 and had to look it up despite >30 years in VT & ME....it's a French Canadian meat pie, looks yummy, but the best is step 4, where you put it in a snowbank. How to Make Classic Tourtière (Québec Pork Pie) | Simple Bites
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1000290-600x800-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1000291-600x800-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1000292-800x600-.jpg  

Last edited by mtbxplorer; 01-13-2013 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Forgot the 2 minute video. The BMX kid was faster than a spotted salamander and I was only slightly more faster. More fitness coming online, but it is slow.

Meeting Cyclists - YouTube

Nice Hi! at the end.

Brianmc

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Forgot the 2 minute video. The BMX kid was faster than a spotted salamander and I was only slightly more faster. More fitness coming online, but it is slow.

Meeting Cyclists - YouTube

Nice Hi! at the end.

Brianmc
    Cool - I commented on your running of stops -

I know it's different every-time, but I thought I would have tried to tell the kid to ride on the right & maybe explain why if he was to listen, It's weird educating people - I get it; especially children - you'll get someone going, "he was trying to rape my boy!!"
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I get the feeling that NJ is becoming England. Rainy, foggy, grey for most of the past week, and more to come.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ...I passed a sign, tortierres, $10 and had to look it up despite >30 years in VT & ME....it's a French Canadian meat pie, looks yummy, but the best is step 4, where you put it in a snowbank. How to Make Classic Tourtière (Québec Pork Pie) | Simple Bites
    I just hear them called meat pies around here.

January thaw in full effect here as well. It's amazing how warm 40F feels. A week ago no gloves would keep my hands warm and this week any will do. Super foggy too. I took the longer squishy dirt road route to avoid as many cars as I could. I also added an extra Spoke LIt that I got for my B-day to my bike. Good timing.

mtbr member
    Ah, yes. Meat pies. I usually have one a week, my little local grocer has a local lady that makes little individual ones, they are fantastic. She also makes salmon pie...I have yet to try one, kinda scared quite honestly.
    It was really, really warm here this morning. 37F feels like 70. Rode to work in a t-shirt, sweat shirt, wind-breaker. No snow or ice on the road, aired up the tires to 7.5psi and had a super fast ride down. The snow banks are solid and were really fun to play on. I can't wait for the big freeze tonight, the world will be my playground with an unbreakable crust on the snow. yay for January thaw.

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    My eyelashes kept freezing due to the steam sent up from my balaclava. I really need to wear my ski goggles when it's this cold. 7 degrees F before wind chill. Lobster gloves with liners were slightly chilly. If and when it drops below zero I'll have to use my military over-mitts.

mtbr member
    Didn't even try riding today. Anchorage is in the midst of another meltdown. The roads are ice rinks and I am sure that the trails are just horrible. I figure that by riding on them when they are soft, knowing they'll freeze back up in a day or so, would do more damage to them than what it's worth. So I carpooled. The local schools are closed. The university is closed. It's a good day to not risk riding. (Yet I feel so dirty for some reason...)

Bedwards Of The West
    Woot Woot! New record here... minus 4.5* F. My previous record was -4, so only a half of a degree, but I'll take it.
    You know it's cold when you get beard-cicles inside your 'clava.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Hehe. I run a lot of stops, but I was surprised to see B Mc do it A few weeks ago, I saw a kid (bout 8 YO, I guess) all bundled up riding salmon on the sidewalk on a super cold morning. Thought about "educating" him a little and changed my mind- just give him a salute and a big smile for going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorCatholic View Post
    My eyelashes kept freezing due to the steam sent up from my balaclava. If and when it drops below zero I'll have to use my military over-mitts.
    Wow, that does sound cold. And I can`t find my overmitts

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Woot Woot! New record here... minus 4.5* F. My previous record was -4, so only a half of a degree, but I'll take it.
    You know it's cold when you get beard-cicles inside your 'clava.
    CB, you have me solidly beat with that one! For today, at least- don`t know what my all time low has been. Our weather report says +8 for this morning but by the time I got up it was definitely above that. I start 3 months of swing shift this afternoon, so no more 7 AM runs. It`ll be much warmer for me on the way in and my return temps should be roughly the same as my in temps have been.

My wife and I rented snowshoes Sat and met up with some of her friends to play for a while. It was my first time on the contraptions- nice enough, but I still prefer skiis. Also I was REALLY surprised to see that the entire surface of the lake (Donner Lake) was liquid- guess we just can`t even dream of competing with the real Northerners in that respect. Though I have seen snow mobile tracks across it in previous winters.
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    ^^Our deep lakes haven't frozen yet. Sebago is one of the biggest and 300' deep in places and none of it is frozen. Some years it never freezes, some years half freezes and some years all of it freezes. Little Sebago, the one I commute across, has a depth that is measured in feet in most spots. Like 10-30, so there is a lot less water to cool off. The shallow lakes freeze fast and warm up fast too. Ironically, the lakes that are coldest to swim in are the last to freeze.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Everything melted over the weekend so I thought I'd try to sneak in a week or two before winter realizes it's supposed to snow on us again. Got all kitted up, packed up, was airing up before heading out and found a broken spoke on my back wheel. Crap. Tried to ride anyways but after getting up the first hill about half a mile from my house I had a minute to try to figure out if the clinking was the spoke hitting something and saw it banging into my chainstay every revolution. Tried to pull the spoke out on the side of the road but couldn't get it to clear the brake rotor. Wrapped it around another spoke to keep it out of the way, rode the next 10 miles to work. I'll have to leave early today and ride it another few miles to the bike shop in town nearby to get them to do the spoke, hell if I'm dealing with spoke tensions myself.

Bedwards Of The West
    mmmm, Donner Lake. Cool spot.

Turns out my record was all for naught... school is on a 'delayed start' schedule becuase of "extreme icy conditions"... busses are having trouble. I could have come in an hour later with solid temps around negative 2. These kids should be riding their bikes to school

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm a bit rusty after working only 5 days in the past 3 weeks. I forget that my commute isn't as easy as I think it is. I was struggling a bit on the way in. The cool temps (26F) and a mild, but consistent, headwind didn't help. I'm looking forward to getting back in shape so my commute will be a piece of cake again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    First commute under 30 degrees F. Also first time seeing ice on the road in AZ when biking. Brisk, but still fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I know it's different every-time, but I thought I would have tried to tell the kid to ride on the right & maybe explain why if he was to listen, It's weird educating people,
    - I get it; especially children - you'll get someone going, "he was trying to rape my boy!!"
    *** Salmoning: Lead by example, I guess. Be predictable. I had a car following me, first blocked by oncoming traffic, then not daring to pass between us on the corners. I was up to 20 mph so not too bad. The light is a demand light with cars stopped so it was about to change and did promptly. Safety first. The motorist was patient and took a left just after the video ends.

*** This is not the way I rode until I came here. Running stops is a local tradition by most drivers. I have been nearly rear-ended when driving and I actually stop. I stop for all red lights on the bike. Obeying the rules at 4-way stops just confuses the drivers who run the stops themselves. Two officers have witnessed me doing this and have not had a chat with me about it. But you can't be day dreaming. You must check and be ready to stop.

BrianMc

Bedwards Of The West
    highdell...
    I was in Redding this weekend. I saw some guys playing disc golf. I thought of you. The end.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by hah72215 View Post
    First commute under 30 degrees F. Also first time seeing ice on the road in AZ when biking. Brisk, but still fun.
    Congrats on the milestone. Was that in Tempe? I know the AZ mountains get plenty of cold and snow, but didn`t think the Phoenix area ever froze. That just doesn`t seem fair after what you guys have to put up with in the summer.

Sanath, paying the shop now and again for a spoke isn`t the end of the world, but don`t be put off by all the comotion lately about spoke tensions if you have standard (32 or more spokes) wheels. It isn`t really THAT big an issue, and the pluck to tune method works just fine. If you have any interest in learning to do it for yourself, go for it. Besides, a little prior experience at it just might save your butt out on the trail or roadside someday.
    Recalculating....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Only commuted two days last week and then flew down to Las Vegas and attended the Consumer Electronics Show. Between meetings I checked out the various exhibit halls which are absolutely mind-blowing with all the technology and marketing hype. Paid extra attention to the cycling related technology...had fun in the GoPro booth, in fact saw many companies marketing sports-related camera systems (including one with a harness for your dog). Saw some electric bikes, and of course a lot of fitness-based technology.

The wife also came down and we stayed the weekend. Was able to get some mountain biking in:

Commute today was downright mundane, cloudy, no rain about 28F when I left the house.

CB of the East
    Sanath, paying the shop now and again for a spoke isn`t the end of the world, but don`t be put off by all the comotion lately about spoke tensions if you have standard (32 or more spokes) wheels. It isn`t really THAT big an issue, and the pluck to tune method works just fine. If you have any interest in learning to do it for yourself, go for it. Besides, a little prior experience at it just might save your butt out on the trail or roadside someday.
    There's commotion about spoke tension these days? I've replaced whole rims by taping every spoke where it crosses and removing all the nipples. Put the new rim on, snug all the spokes tight and then true it using the brake calipers. I use the "That seems and sounds about right" tension method.

I also never buy just 1 spoke if I break one. If I'd stop buying bikes eventually I'll have replacements for all of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I tried to true a wheel myself once, never was able to get the hang of it or get it true enough that I was happy with it. I'm a perfectionist with anything I work on myself, which is why I just pay somebody else to true my wheels and don't look at them too closely. Eventually I'll have to make the jump to figure out how to do it, but not until I've got a wheel I don't mind having torn apart for 6 weeks or so, tensioned and retensioned over and over again until it's straight enough that I'm happy.

Besides, it's 10 miles home and less than 3 to the bike shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Congrats on the milestone. Was that in Tempe? I know the AZ mountains get plenty of cold and snow, but didn`t think the Phoenix area ever froze. That just doesn`t seem fair after what you guys have to put up with in the summer.
    Yeah, Tempe. Just an abnormally cold week. We should be back in the 90's in a couple months though so not complaining.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    note to self, and whomever may be interested: wear gloves if the temperature is suppose to sit around freezing.

mtbr member
    A great ride home. 3" of super fluffy new powder, temperatures a little above freezing, thick cloud cover to bounce around a lot of light, and I saw two coyotes. They were maybe 100m away from the park where our NHL team staged a PR stunt game of pond hockey yesterday.

As I was about 50' from them I realized I was glad that they don't react to bikes the way my dog does. My puppy is generally okay with bikes, until you stick a headlight on them (either blinky or solid) which jumps them up to #2 on her most hated list. But the coyotes just trotted away.

mtbr member
    Found a wire almost broken in the accident just before the ride was now broken. Quick but poor fix to ride sooner rather than later. The 26 wind chill sans bike wind was a face full after Sat's 63 F. After a mile or so the face was warm or numb, so no problem. New meaning to icy countenance, I guess. A granite face. A stone cold look. Not scared but petrified? Not sedentary, but sedimentary? Not just morphed, but metamorphic? Not ignoble but igneous? Obviously the drop in temp was pun-ishing.

The iBike's heart strap does not make dogs crazy (ultrasonics?) like the old Sigma one was suspected of, and now proven to have been. That got me bitten when I visited one of my neighbors. Nice feature. Know your heart rate on this charcoal on gray, almost unreadable interface and piss off all the dogs you meet. Four years use, but I'm glad it died.

BrianMc

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Saw a coyote! I'd seen one before when riding my motorcycle in Yosemite, but this was the first time I've seen one in Washington.

weirdo
    I tried to remind myself this afternoon to pack my long johns when I left for work. Not only did I end up forgetting my long johns, I also forgot my helmet and my reflective vest.

Great weekend, Woodway! What was the weather like down there? I bet it was a nice break.
    I could have come in an hour later with solid temps around negative 2.
    Good thing you DIDN`T go in later or you wouldn`t have hit a new record. Not for naught

Quote Originally Posted by kdirk View Post
    note to self, and whomever may be interested: wear gloves if the temperature is suppose to sit around freezing.
    Good plan!
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Perfect 25F temps for commuting, and the snowmobile trails were hard and fast after the recent thaw, and down to the dirt in a few places. The studded fatbike tires earned their keep on the icy sections. My feeder trails and shortcut where no snomachines go were not great, pretty bumpy from old tracks, and too soft in spots - I should have re-groomed them when the weather was warm.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bedwards Of The West
    2 degrees ABOVE zero this morning. Heat wave.

Moderator Moderator
    I tried to remind myself this afternoon to pack my long johns when I left for work. Not only did I end up forgetting my long johns, I also forgot my helmet and my reflective vest.
    At least you remembered the bike. The change in schedule must be throwing you off. I know when I have a change in my routine, I am more likely to forget stuff, like when I drive and bring stuff to ride home, or when the temp is super cold and I'm too focused on what to wear for the ride rather than what I need when I get there.

mtbr member
    2 degrees ABOVE zero this morning. Heat wave.
    7deg above 0C this morning. Which actually is a heat wave (45F).

mtbr member
    A great ride this morning. After our warm up yesterday it dropped down below freezing overnight and firmed the trails up nicely. There is one area of overflow that was so slick I had to walk it, but other than that, both the roads and the trails were surprisingly good for riding. It helps that much of the trail I ride was groomed for the skiers just before the melt down so things packed down nicely and set up well.

The roads still had some slick spots, but even without studs I was able to make good time and remain upright. Good times.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    Saw a coyote! I'd seen one before when riding my motorcycle in Yosemite, but this was the first time I've seen one in Washington.
    Just come over to my house hunter...they run through my yard almost daily. Back when my wife was keeping chickens they would come around and snatch a chicken when we were not watching. Last year I startled one on the Sammamish River trail - it was standing on that section of trail in front of the apartments south of the ballfields and I chased it down the trail for about 50 yards until it cleared the apartments and was able to dart off to the side.

Great weekend, Woodway! What was the weather like down there? I bet it was a nice break.
    It was in the 50's for the first couple of days, but then over the weekend the temps went down into the 20's overnight and mid-30'd during the day. The sun felt good though! We seem to have brought the weather back with us to Seattle as the temps are going down into the 20's at night and mid-30's during the day...oh and the sun is shining!

mtbr member
    Whoa....ice is slippery. Had a couple of close calls this morning. I was tearing down a snowmobile trail that was hard and crusty....and fast, when I came upon the bridge that is about 1.5 snowmobiles wide, 10 feet off the rushing rocky water, and also seems to be water tight because there was about three inches of water ice on the bridge....I walked it. Not a fall worth taking, not like anyone was watching anyway.

Awesome thing said on the way in. I ride through a school zone, the kids love the fat bike. Today I passed two walking that I passed yesterday. One asked if I was riding to work, I said yeah, and he punched the other kid saying "told ya so".

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Melted my favorite gaiter with a hair dryer this morning trying to dry it out all speedy-like. Fah.

That spoke turned out to be expensive at my LBS. $23.something to fix it. Looked like $20 in labor + $2 spoke + tax as it went into the register.

mtbr member
    That sounds about right, really. Especially if you rode it that way afterward, I bet it was pretty outa whack. You'd pay 10 just to get a true, so I think that sounds ok.

mtbr member

Y'know, eyelashes freeze...

when the temp. is hovering around -4F.

Coldest commute for me, ever. Funny thing though, my co-workers weren't incredulous about me riding in sub-zero temps, but that I carry my bike up a flight of stairs when I get here. WTH?!

Roads were clear, sky was icy blue, wind was absent so with the exception of the cold, was a nice ride to work.

mtbr member
    Fitness coming back. Hit HR 173 on sprint up hill before my cool down. Up from 165. Coldest I've worn booties and SiDis. I usually ditch them at 40 F. Slightly cool toes but no bad. Humidity up so 36 felt colder in terms of sucking the heat out of you. Still slightly faster than a hibernating spotted salamander.

BrianMc