Page 139 of 608 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 149 189 239 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 15178
    mtbr member
    You guys are gonna laugh but....

Since I ride the MUT to work, I don't have cars and such to worry about clobbering me, so I listen to podcasts for the ride. I do so on my iPhone, and the headset I use is the one that comes with the phone, and has a mic, a remote control for volume, play, stop, etc. So, since I'm plugged in, if I get a call, it pauses my podcast, rings in my ear and I can answer. I have a specific ringer set for my wife, one for calls from work, etc, so I know whether or not I want to/should answer
    :wq

mtbr member
    Today's commute was good, uneventful, that's good, right? Yesterday not so much, it was only commute #3 by bike in my life, I still always feel like I forgot something. Yesterday I did, I forgot a belt and my glasses...I couldn't tuck in my shirt at work, no big deal, they're pretty lax about dress code, and I had a headache by the end of the day from squinting and being close to my computer. Also, when I went to leave, I had a flat tire, I had ridden 16 miles the night before and it wasn't flat when I finished the ride. Not a good day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Today's commute was good, uneventful, that's good, right? Yesterday not so much, it was only commute #3 by bike in my life, I still always feel like I forgot something. Yesterday I did, I forgot a belt and my glasses...I couldn't tuck in my shirt at work, no big deal, they're pretty lax about dress code, and I had a headache by the end of the day from squinting and being close to my computer. Also, when I went to leave, I had a flat tire, I had ridden 16 miles the night before and it wasn't flat when I finished the ride. Not a good day.
    I'm slowly working my way through forgetting everything.

So far I'm at:

underwear
    belt
    wallet (realized this quickly though and rode back home to grab it)
    laptop

I never forget the same thing twice..

Wanderer
    Took a bit longer route (just 18 miles) on the way home yesterday. A very small lunch combined with a hot day got me a bit dizzy for a bit. Slowed down and felt better. Ate like a pig when I got home tho. Todays commute felt fine surprisingly.

mtbr member
    The ride home last night was good. The warm weather is bringing more people out, which clogs up the MUT a little bit. I also left later than normal, which could have contributed.

This morning kind of sucked. My legs didn't want to work from the get-go. I was slower by a few minutes across town, and it wasn't for lack of trying. I hope the ride home is better.

weirdo
    It`s hotter than hell. Somebody flipped a switch and summer began about 11 AM yesterday.
    Maybe I`ll go clog up Nacho`s MUT with wife and tandem Sunday. Not that it`ll be any cooler down there

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't know what it is about people wanting to turn into me. This morning as I was nearing my work, a red car was turning left from a parking lot. She stopped, then started turning just as I was coming through. I skidded my tires to avoid slamming into the side of her car. I know she saw me, but she pretended not to. I don't get it. To make it even more awkward, she works on the same street as I do, so I had to follow her all the way to my office.

mtbr member
    ^ it's definitely not just you. It happens to me all the time, even with my snazzy new hi-vis vest, and particularly at one specific intersection. People are dumb. I try to avoid them.

6 new bikes in the parkade today (normally it's just me and another guy, and maybe one more). This week is Commuter Challenge, but today was the first day that the forecast didn't call for rain, so it brought out all the fair-weather cyclists.

mtbr member
    Oh one thing I forgot from yesterday, which I'm a little excited about ..

While waiting at a stop light another commuter caught up, but of course he hit right as it went green and I ended up behind him after we made our left hand turn. He was an older guy on an older mountain bike and he was going pretty slow, so when it was safe I passed him and went on my way.

So after I get on the MUT I'm jamming along and I approach a park on my left and who do I see coming up to the MUT? The same guy from earlier. Obviously he has some short cut that I am not employing, so I mapped it out and according to ridewithgps.com this new route will shave almost a mile off of the ride. I'm going to pedal it tonight on the way home and see if it's viable; it's along a busy-ish road but has a nice bike lane. We'll see if it ends up being worth while.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I don't know what it is about people wanting to turn into me. This morning as I was nearing my work, a red car was turning left from a parking lot. She stopped, then started turning just as I was coming through. I skidded my tires to avoid slamming into the side of her car. I know she saw me, but she pretended not to. I don't get it. To make it even more awkward, she works on the same street as I do, so I had to follow her all the way to my office.
    Drivers who are oblivious to bikes are extremely dangerous.

If someone doesn't see me and even starts to get in my way....

I whistle loudly...

If that doesn't get them, I will try to catch up to them (usually quite doable in traffic) and let them know for sure what they did when I catch them.

If they get aggressive then so do I...if not then I don't....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Riding my mountain bike with slicks to work today, road bike is in the shop for some work. The first half of this week was in the 90s and raining so I didn't ride at all. Today I get cold and wind. Legs aren't feeling as wonderful today and I'm definitely not looking forward to the headwind the whole way home.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This morning was quite a delight, scattered clouds and a beautiful sunrise. This afternoon riding home I ended up redecorating a minivan's passenger door when I was cut off. No damage done to the steed or myself, wish I could say the same for the van.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow, did you bounce, or what?? Glad you are OK, hope you're not feeling too banged up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dolli310 View Post
    This morning was quite a delight, scattered clouds and a beautiful sunrise. This afternoon riding home I ended up redecorating a minivan's passenger door when I was cut off. No damage done to the steed or myself, wish I could say the same for the van.
    :\ Sorry, dude

mtbr member
    Tonights ride was interesting. It was like "go as slow as you can just as nacho approaches and there is oncoming traffic rendering passing impossible until after he slows down to our 9 mph" night. Between that and the head wind, it was a long ride.

I did try out that new route though, and it was pretty good. Chopped about a mile off the ride home, which rocks. I need to massage it a little to figure out the fastest way through the park on to the MUT but I think I'll keep using it!

After I got home and cleaned up I headed over to get my baby from day care. I had forgotten it was 'meet your teacher' night, and my daughter is getting ready to graduate up to the toddler class so I hung out in there for a bit, asking questions and watching her play. I was treated also: when I walked in, still sweating a bit since I hadn't cooled off all the way from the ride yet, they had a table loaded with bowls of ice cream. After the ride and being hot, it was just what I needed

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    @ mtbxplorer: I guess I did bounce. I was up off the pavement before the woman got out of her van. Not too banged up this morning, slept like a baby last night.

@ nachomc: Thanks. I'm just glad it wasn't much worse than what it was.

Wanderer
    My legs are done for the week. No power at all on the way in. I hope they feel better on the way home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Drivers who are oblivious to bikes are extremely dangerous.
    I think it's partly the drivers around here. They suck. I know this lady saw me. I was watching her and she looked right at me as she was stopping. Then she just went. It happens too much.

The sun was shining this morning, but one the one cloud above me started to rain. I didn't mind though. It's been hot this whole week, so it felt refreshing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    @dolli: glad you're ok!

@nacho: ice cream after a ride? Jealous!

@toff: hope your friday afternoon legs are happy

I was planning on riding in crappy weather so I rode the beater miyata today. Its not nearly as enjoyable as my crosscheck has been all week. The seatpost was slipping all the way to work, had to adjust it 3 times. Jogger on the MUP had her headphones in and was oblivious to my bell ringing, so I had to ride off course and blow past her, which pissed her off. Its payday Friday, my ride was supposed to be better than this! Hopefully the weatherman is wrong and the ride home is better.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Drivers who are oblivious to bikes are extremely dangerous.....
    Welcome to my world.

If someone doesn't see me ...I whistle loudly...
    I use a parade ground level HEY! (Adenalin boost!) Works pretty well too. Faster than hitting the Airzound button which I am reaching for as I plan my out in case HEY! isn't enough.

If that doesn't get them, I will try to catch up to them ...
    This is dangerous here some are packin' heat, but yes I have and they knew I was not happy with their concept of 'sharing the road'.

Drivers can look right at you but not see you in terms ot trajectory, speed, collision course etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dolli310 View Post
    ...This afternoon riding home I ended up redecorating a minivan's passenger door when I was cut off. No damage done to the steed or myself, wish I could say the same for the van.
    Sounds like you got some braking in or weren't flyin'. Sometimes just when you are sure they are yielding.....then there is often neither time nor space to do much other than minimize bodily injury. Any accident you walk from with mere bruises and more experience is a good one.

Got a one way ride in this morning. One truck passed with mirror about 18" off my shoulder. I tend to get that in spandex, not the ANSI vest. So I'd guess he was clueless not trying to intimidate.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 06-12-2011 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    My legs are done for the week. No power at all on the way in. I hope they feel better on the way home.
    Same here. I started up towards the summit of my biggest climb: the 50ft overpass and my legs immediately went all noodley. Geared down, coasted over the top, a few stars were seen. I felt better as I got further in to the ride, and was holding 19 mph or so, but any challenge other than pushing on flat ground left me searching for a lower gear. After today I'll have 179 miles for the week though

I can't ride next week so I'm looking forward to a little recovery time. I will probably get in a ride on Sunday the 19th and then I get to go to Tahoe and I'm riding around the lake. I can't wait
    Last edited by nachomc; 06-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Free muffin and coffee for me this morning. So free treats for cyclists, bike co-op in the parking lot with tune-up stands, patio full of cyclists, and bikes parked everywhere - a nice little biketopia. (I still couldn't bring myself to leave my bike unlocked when I ran inside for the goodies, though.)

Wanderer
    I'll be at 112 miles at the end of today, a good bit for me right now. I'll be showing a friend tomorrow the Anthills tho (you remember that trail Nacho?) as he has never really been offroad on his mountain bike. It should be interesting.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Thanks again for all the OT well wishes for Luna! I'm happy to report that she is out of the vet hospital and back home and eating and feeling pretty good. She even came by the office for pets from everyone, sorry I did not take her picture! Sadly the diagnosis is cancer, but one day at a time.

Snow forecast today, hope I can squeek out the commute before too much accumulates.
    An OT update, my friend's dog Luna is doing amazingly well. She has been on a raw diet & looks great! Thanks for all the well-wishes from around the world. I love how her coat is camoflauge on the carpet at work:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p6060544.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ahh mtb, the Luna update makes my heart happy. Glad she's doing better!

My dog is named Luna too, and we're getting a foster doggie on Sunday named Lula. Its going to be confusing around my house!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net