Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006

How to Trip Traffic Lights

Link to instructional video short

I have a huge neodium(sp) magnet on my bottom bracket. It does work, but it works best on smaller feeder streets for some reason.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    cool tip!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Very cool, thank you.

Token Hillbilly
    Nice find!

Appreciate it!
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    One thing.... neodynium doesn't rust. Only iron rusts.
    I'm a girl and I'm on the internet. Get over it.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish Dave
    Link to instructional video short

I have a huge neodium(sp) magnet on my bottom bracket. It does work, but it works best on smaller feeder streets for some reason.
    I'm going to put a smaller one on my front wheel, close to the rim. Magnetic force decreases by the square of the distance, having it on the rim compared to 12 inches makes a big difference. I wonder about an electro-magnet with an AC waveform, say 10Hz?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Cool idea....

I'll have to keep it in mind. Fortunately though my route to and from work wouldn't require it. The only section that would cause a problem isn't a problem. It's a main road with sensor type lights, but it has a bike path (nice wide one too) that runs along the south side of the road and is a "required use route for bike traffic for both directions. At each itersection the powers that be were thinking and put a pedestrian type "call button" for that purpose. But even then I rarely have to use them. Traffic is usually heavy enough to keep the lights cycling fairly regularly. But there are deffinately a few places that it would be useful, like the late night run to the local Minimart for beer or bread, etc. I'll have to try it out and see how it works. Good idea.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    On the smaller lights it will cycle to my direction before I have to come to a stop, so it's very nice. Larger streets, there are usually enough cars around that the lights are cycling around like usual, so the magnet is not such a help.

I'm "bad" different
    very cool trick, definately worth a try. I get stuck at lights all the time on my 5am ride through the city. I might try sticking one of these to a crank arm since I always wait with one pedal down. I find that the smaller the loop in the road (feeder streets), the more likely it is to detect my steel framed bike. Sometimes laying the bike over works too, but that's kind of inconvenient.

mtbr member
    Bet the neodium(sp) magnet manufacturs are loving this thread.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Bet the neodium(sp) magnet manufacturs are loving this thread. Does having a powerful magnet mounted to your BB create drag everytime you cross a man-hole cover?
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Very cool! I would have never thought about doing that, but it makes so much sense.

I really doubt magnets the size of the ones in the video would make that much difference when traveling over a manhole cover. On approach, the magnets would pull you towards the cover, I would think, with a force equal to that of any "drag" they would create upon crossing the cover. The small forces would end up canceling. But they are more than likely way too small for you to even notice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Those interested might also review this instructable which uses the same idea but has you put the magnets in your shoe...
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Traf...for-your-Bike/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You mean we're supposed to stop at those red lights? j/k...

Known Mountainbiker
    There's also the option of contacting the "city" or whoever is in charge of traffic lights and complain that the lights won't change for your bicycle. Hell, call them anyway, it's a good way to remind them that bicycles use the roads too. Luckily, "our" city's traffic controls are sensitive enough for bicycles to set them off. Heck, we got them in the bike lanes too.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm in a City where a great number of the lights have the induction loop triggers. It sure isn't easy to get them to turn.

I'm going to try this with a couple smaller N50 neodymium magnets (10+ lb pull from a 1/2" dia x 1/8" thick disc)...maybe on a little bracket attached to the fork or the bottle cage bolts on the bottom of the downtube. Couldn't hurt
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Magnet

I spent a few years as a traffic engineer working with traffic signals. Probably know enough to get myself in to trouble. So don’t take this for gospel truth.

But I would be surprised in a magnet is really necessary. The loop conductors detect interference with there field. I would think just a plan conductive metal would work just as well as a magnet.

There are tuners on the loops but in some cases if you adjust them enough to pick up a bike they might detect everything and there for not work.

Laying the bike on its side works well, it puts more surface area of metal closer to the loops for them to detect.

I use the ped button in worst case crossing and you might have better luck having the city install those?? There is also bike push button but I don’t know if I have ever seen one on the street.

I would think a steel bike would about the best way to have the loop detect you. Also it’s obviously better to be right over the loop. It you can’t see where the loops is (sometimes there paved over where you can’t) you might get the city to mark them with paint.

mtbr member

I agree with Bstyle74...

You should only stop at stop lights if you're tired or when there's too much traffic! Of course, roadies get mad when I blow through intersections while they're sitting there waiting for the light to change.

Do not do what I do though, especially if you don't care enough to pay attention to what's going on around you (cars, cops, pedestrians, stray dogs...). Many times after my commute, I'm more mentally drained than physically tired because of the constant requirement for 360 degree awareness and preparation every minute of every commute.
    Just Ride!

ballbuster

Seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    There's also the option of contacting the "city" or whoever is in charge of traffic lights and complain that the lights won't change for your bicycle. Hell, call them anyway, it's a good way to remind them that bicycles use the roads too. Luckily, "our" city's traffic controls are sensitive enough for bicycles to set them off. Heck, we got them in the bike lanes too.

Caz
    ... not that it will do much good. We tried to get the City of Oakland to do something, and they gave us the whole 'we have to do a traffic study to change anything with the lights' line.

I have one light on my bike route home that is hell. It's in a busy intersection, and there is no way to get through the light even at a full sprint from when it turns green, until it turns red. They don't care.

He said he mounted it perpendicular to the road. That looked parallel to the road to me.
    get to the choppa!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Re: How to Trip Traffic Lights

Stopping at all the red lights its simply a waste of time.Neodium(sp) magnet always works in my case but it should not be small in size larger work perfect. For smaller the loop in the road those feeder streets there it works absolutely perfect.
    …………………………………….
    Kurt Stinson
    Addiction Recovery Connecticut

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I bought three, put 'em on all my bike's bottom brackets. All my bikes are steel. Can't say I can tell a damn bit of dif. Maybe my BB's are too high? I don't want to stick 'em in my shoe, or on my rims. Any other ideas?

Double-metric mtb man
    I threw 3x 3/8" dia x1/16" N50 class neodymium magnets onto the left soles of each set of my riding shoes. The little buggers are 20lb pull each (bugger to get apart to work with) and seem to be having an effect.

There are a couple lights I generally had to hit the ped button for as they are not normally sensitive enough to pick up the bike, but putting a foot down on the loop seems to be enough to trigger it now. Not definite proof, but seems to make enough of a difference (real or psychological?) that I'm going to leave them there.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me