Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How tough was it to begin to commute

8K views 86 replies 69 participants last post by  Cayenne_Pepa 
#1 ·
I can not motivate myself to bike into work. I want to do it so that I can save money on my train fare $115 a month. I would have to bike about 15miles round trip. I guess I go to bed to late to get up and get going in the morning. So what has made others to finally get up and get organized and motivated. I think once I get use to it I will be fine hopefully? Maybe not?

#82 ·
Getting Started is the hardest part. Once your used to it it becomes second nature and you get into the groove of your system. A good pack, Shoes you can walk in (I run egg beaters and Shimano MTB shoes) and the stuff to fix a flat. (I recommend slime). Most Importantly don't be a weight weenie as a commuter, you want a reliable bike that is low maintenance and comfortable for the distance you will be riding.
Steel Freak:crazy::crazy:

Attachments

#85 ·
It tried to get my employer to get one wall mount rack for $70 and got the excuse of not having the funds and to revisit the issue in a year. So I bring my bike into the call center and lean it against an empty cubicle. Even my sup support me on that and will back me if ever someone complains. None has as of yet.

#84 ·
My beginning came out of desperation and was a last resort. My Subie blew a timing belt/head, mech who did the engine replacement is dragging feet (3 months later) and I got a loan for a car that fell through.

I tried for a scooter, no luck. So I resorted to a bike. I checked around locally (small town, no bike shops) and I didn't have a good way to the LBR's in town. So after hearing about bikesdirect I jumped on there and bought my Motobecane.

The weekend I got it I was house/dog sitting near work, so I rode quite a bit over the weekend, the first time in a decade at least. Later that week I did my first 10 mile commute home and thought I was going to die by either stroke or car.

I got info on the morning express bus, so I rice 6 of the 10 miles in the morning but I had the choice of hitching rides and paying out the nose for gas and being on other peoples time, or save the $ and ride. I chose to ride as much as I could. With the purchase of rain gear today I can drop even the bad weather rides to or from work.

I have been maintaining a pretty steady 13.5 mph average, so 50 min ride home and honestly, even tho it was a hard go at the beginning, I am glad for it.

Reactions: mtbxplorer
#86 ·
I realized I was spending 80-100 / month on gas, plus I had nothing to do on gorgeous nice days like we've been having here in Washington. So, I went out last weekend, bought a bike from my LBS, and have started commuting by bike. Today I took the day off because I'm getting sick and thought it would rain, which it still might. I need rain gear :) My motivations are: health/fitness, saving money, and most importantly, FUN!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.