Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    FORGET COMMUTING if you have to wear a shirt and tie, without a shower. Been there and done that....no thanks.

Last job that I had to wear a shirt and tie, was when I was a Stockbroker. For me to wear a choker(tie) again....you'll have to pay me six figures.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

I Ride for Donuts
    I just keep the nice clothes at work, and ride in riding clothes. Wipe down upon arrival, change into work clothes. The end. Swap out the nice clothes at work every week or two when you're nearby with a car.

I think the real question is "how hard is it for you to stop riding when you get to work?" Most days I want to just keep pedaling.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I think the real question is "how hard is it for you to stop riding when you get to work?" Most days I want to just keep pedaling.
    Awesome and true.

mtbr member
    The real question should be, how tough is it to look at yourself in the mirror if you don't commute. It means you are not giving your body what it needs to thrive and you are behaving like a sedentary shlub just like everyone else...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    FORGET COMMUTING if you have to wear a shirt and tie, without a shower. Been there and done that....no thanks.

Last job that I had to wear a shirt and tie, was when I was a Stockbroker. For me to wear a choker(tie) again....you'll have to pay me six figures.
    There are ways to get around the possible funk of not having a shower. Granted I don't wear a suit or tie, but I do business casual wear at a lot of different client's sites around the city and I just arrange my schedule so that I arrive early, get wiped down, cool off a bit, then change well before my first meeting of the day.

Around here I find folk are pretty darn forgiving of what someone looks like when they know he or she commutes by bike.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    There are ways to get around the possible funk of not having a shower. Granted I don't wear a suit or tie, but I do business casual wear at a lot of different client's sites around the city and I just arrange my schedule so that I arrive early, get wiped down, cool off a bit, then change well before my first meeting of the day.

Around here I find folk are pretty darn forgiving of what someone looks like when they know he or she commutes by bike.
    If airline hostesses can live out of a suitcase & still look great, I think I can manage to look good with gear packed in a backpack. There are ways to store a suit & tie such that they don't wrinkle (too much) . I generally roll my clothes, and while I don't wear a business suit to work, I do wear dress pants & a collared shirt. Probably a higher standard than most of the people I work with, and I'm the only one of them that bike commutes!

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Getting Started is the hardest part. Once your used to it it becomes second nature and you get into the groove of your system. A good pack, Shoes you can walk in (I run egg beaters and Shimano MTB shoes) and the stuff to fix a flat. (I recommend slime). Most Importantly don't be a weight weenie as a commuter, you want a reliable bike that is low maintenance and comfortable for the distance you will be riding.
    Steel Freak
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How tough was it to begin to commute-10042010073.jpg  

Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The only thing stopping me to regularly commute is bike parking availability. Even if I manage to find one, I can't get my mind off that someone may be stealing a bike part or saddle or pedal etc.

Back in the Saddle Again
    My beginning came out of desperation and was a last resort. My Subie blew a timing belt/head, mech who did the engine replacement is dragging feet (3 months later) and I got a loan for a car that fell through.

I tried for a scooter, no luck. So I resorted to a bike. I checked around locally (small town, no bike shops) and I didn't have a good way to the LBR's in town. So after hearing about bikesdirect I jumped on there and bought my Motobecane.

The weekend I got it I was house/dog sitting near work, so I rode quite a bit over the weekend, the first time in a decade at least. Later that week I did my first 10 mile commute home and thought I was going to die by either stroke or car.

I got info on the morning express bus, so I rice 6 of the 10 miles in the morning but I had the choice of hitching rides and paying out the nose for gas and being on other peoples time, or save the $ and ride. I chose to ride as much as I could. With the purchase of rain gear today I can drop even the bad weather rides to or from work.

I have been maintaining a pretty steady 13.5 mph average, so 50 min ride home and honestly, even tho it was a hard go at the beginning, I am glad for it.

Back in the Saddle Again
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    The only thing stopping me to regularly commute is bike parking availability. Even if I manage to find one, I can't get my mind off that someone may be stealing a bike part or saddle or pedal etc.
    It tried to get my employer to get one wall mount rack for $70 and got the excuse of not having the funds and to revisit the issue in a year. So I bring my bike into the call center and lean it against an empty cubicle. Even my sup support me on that and will back me if ever someone complains. None has as of yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I realized I was spending 80-100 / month on gas, plus I had nothing to do on gorgeous nice days like we've been having here in Washington. So, I went out last weekend, bought a bike from my LBS, and have started commuting by bike. Today I took the day off because I'm getting sick and thought it would rain, which it still might. I need rain gear My motivations are: health/fitness, saving money, and most importantly, FUN!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Invest in a good cyclocomputer. Once you see your trip times shrink and average speed increases...it NO LONGER BECOMES A CHORE.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4