Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Graphic Designer
    I started two months ago. Everyone at work is jealous! My girlfriend lives a few miles away, and there is a greenway between our houses, and also to work. Sometimes I don't use my car for 2-4 days at a time! When I get back in the car, everything feels weird.

I have to lay out all my stuff the night before like others have said. I have to have multiple bags ready for different situations, etc.

I have found if I leave at 7 instead of 730, there is WAY less traffic at the 2 intersections I pass through, where people are driving like idiots hauling ass on the way to work. At one of the intersections I just hop off and walk my bike across with the people, it is too hard to navigate between 3 way car traffic and hordes of people going to work at this particular hospital.

I ride at least twice to 4 times a week if possible.
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    $2/gallon. No way was I paying that much. Selling your car also helps.

Graphic Designer
    2 a gallon? You mean you started commuting then? It's 4 a gallon now...
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    When gas was $1.80/gallon we moved out to the boonies. Went from a 2.5 ROUND TRIP Daily commute...to 90 miles a day...at $1.80 a gallon is wasn't too bad.

Instead of a car payment, I now have the monthly "fuel" budget.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I started commuting a few weeks ago after finding an old road bike in the garage. At first, commuting gave me a reason to ride further than I usually would; more exercise and conditioning for trail riding. Then I realized how much gas / money I was saving by riding. Now I ride everywhere within a 15 mile radius of my house.

It was tough at first since I was not use to that kind of continuous pedaling, but picked up the endurance quickly. I find it very enjoyable both mentally and physically (the idea of saving money and building up my fitness).

I also noticed that I buy less when I shop for groceries since my carrying capacity is limited. Less impulse buys = saving even more money.

I bought some roadies.
    Oct 2007
    I also wish I would have just gotten an actual road bike. I've spent more money on changing my bike to be more efficient on the road, and less trail worthy.

jrm
    mtbr member

I moved where i did so.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic300
    I can not motivate myself to bike into work. I want to do it so that I can save money on my train fare $115 a month. I would have to bike about 15miles round trip. I guess I go to bed to late to get up and get going in the morning. So what has made others to finally get up and get organized and motivated. I think once I get use to it I will be fine hopefully? Maybe not?
    I could ride the 17 mi round trip to work or take the bus which ever worked best on any particular day anytime during the year. Overall i feel better, i look better (some of us just have to work a bit harder then others..you know?), i sleep better, its exciting, and its fun to see how much beer i can
    jam into my pack when i hit bevmo on the roll home.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    With gas prices the way they are, it doesn't make sense to drive everywhere! I do all my around town stuff on my bike now. Just have to plan to give yourself some extra time to get all the way across town.

To get to work, i can get there faster on my bike than i can driving, because of where i have to park. I can ride right up to the door. So the commute is shorter and i can sleep an extra 5 minutes .

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I started commuting to work about 2 months ago. With gas at $4.50/gal and driving a Nissan Titan, I needed to cut back. Another motivator for me is motocross. I really want to get back into racing my motocross bike, and riding my bike to work is a good way to get back in shape for my weekend races. I am about 30lbs over what I should body wise.

I started with 2 days commuting to work, and have progressively moved that to 4. 13 mile round trip on my rides with a few good climbs thrown in has been good for me.

I'm SUCH a square....
    OP --
    You are stealing time from being that stuffy, responsible adult professional that everyone expects...and you are doing it on your bike! God, what could be better?!? By riding instead of driving or taking the train/taxi/bus/whatever, you are paying yourself to 'play hooky' from the 'grown-up's world'! Better than platinum-set diamonds to Ivana Trump!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Which way? Uphill.
    I got started when my car's radiator blew and for two weeks I had no choice (waiting for parts and timt to do the work). I had been commuting 1 or 2 days a week prior to that and then all of a sudden I had to do it everyday.

Now I'm a 4-5 days/week commuter throughout the year. Laying out stuff the night before is huge! I get up at the same time as when I drove, i just get out the door quicker.

It's a habit now so I don't need a lot of motivation, but I am motivated by motivating my coworkers. While, none of them have started the bike commute yet, many have come up to me to share how they've brought their old bikes out of retirement to start riding.

Everyone seems disappointed if I drive to work now. It used to be that it would be a big deal if I rode to work, now it's a big deal if I don't. I think that my coworkers like knowing the "crazy guy that rides to work in snowstorms and rain".
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hatred of taking the subway in rush hour is what got me started.
    I quickly found the additional bonus of stress management.

ONe less gear
    I started commuting after getting back from deployment to Iraq. It is so freeing, for lack of a better word, to just start peddling. I know it's saving me money on gas and I am losing weight. I also leaning toward getting rid of the car and buying a Ute or a Big Dummy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I agree with Bugly, it is so freeing of the mind. To see all those angry, sad or lost people in their cars and your happy as a five year old on your bike is awesome. Of course all the others reasons are great too.

mtbr member
    The hardest part is starting. You basically have to set a new routine for yourself and that can be hard to do. As you said the time you spend on your bike is more time that you get to be you before you have be professional guy for the rest of the day.

I have been commuting now for about a month and really like it. I actually look forward to it and miss it when I cant ride due to weather. Beside your getting more time on your bike which always a good thing.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    I have not been able to commute this week due to shuttling around a 17 year old "semi-adoptee" around town before and after work.

...and it SUCKS!

I was just sitting here in my cubicle singing..."I want to ride my bicycle...I want to ride my bike!"
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My commute was always relatively long, and all by car (no reasonable ridable road route)...

150 miles round trip, 90 miles round trip, and 105 miles round trip...

Then I got a job close to home (at a school district). I ride my bike when the kids aren't around, and this coming year I'll try it when the kids Are around I'll just come in earlier.

Now my commute is 1.5 miles round trip if I do it by car and just under 1 mile by bike or walking. I wouldn't care if I never drove a car within a 30 mile radius again. It was easy for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No difficulty, just another excuse to ride . The hard part is right now, as my bike is in the shop getting a new headset installed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

We have a winner

Quote Originally Posted by Idriver
    The hardest part is starting. You basically have to set a new routine for yourself and that can be hard to do. As you said the time you spend on your bike is more time that you get to be you before you have be professional guy for the rest of the day.

I have been commuting now for about a month and really like it. I actually look forward to it and miss it when I cant ride due to weather. Beside your getting more time on your bike which always a good thing.
    Riding the bike is the easy part. The logistics of an entirely new routine is the hard part. The best thing to do is commit to riding every day or you will use various factors that affect the routine as a reason not to ride in on any given day.

I'm SUCH a square....
    GH is right; the surrounding routine is the big commitment. Getting up earlier, the gear, the clothing -- it takes a mindset.

My work schedule was flexible enough that I could get the kids on the bus during the school year, gear up, and take the long, scenic route to work. Then, after work, I had all the time I wanted to ride home.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member

Inspiration to Start Commuting

Getting started is the single hardest thing to do...
    mentally saying, "I'm GOING TO DO IT!"

I'm not talking about just thinking, "one day I'm going to ride my bike to work..." I'm talking about the mental commitment! Once you tell yourself and agree on the date, start working on the preperation as it's not going to be like you commit the night before and strike out in the morning... unless your car got stolen or the battery has decided it was dead... but that is going to be a rough way to start.

Get prepared! Mental and or on paper go through the whole process of what you are going to need to do:
    Wake up early. I actually rode in on a weekend to see what kind of time it would take for my 19-mile one way commute.
    Eat early or prepare some food so you can eat once you get there.
    How are you going to carry cloths+shoes & food to/from work?
    How / where are you going to change once at work and clean up?
    Are you going to need lights for your bike?
    Make sure you have pump and tubes at all times.
    the list can on and on and on.. but once you start your preperation you get excited about actually doing it!

And once you do it one day and you are worn out, take two days off and then get back on the bike, take a day off and get back on the bike. Do a couple of rides on the weekend and start the second week. Once you make it past this second week [which is always the HARDEST!] it becomes addictive! Trust me, you will see! Then next thing you know it's two months later and you are really on your way!

Basically the money I save in gas helps cover the increased cost in gas the wife uses transporting the kids to / from school and all their activities.

Seeing how as we Americans can not seem to NOT BUY GAS on one particular Date you can only make your own actions of protest by peddling! Yeap, it's the ultimate protest - hang up the gas pump and start pumping the peddles.

Hope those are some helpful bits of inspiration and your commutes turn into extended rides!

Blind biker
    I just started this summer out of necessary. I cant get a drivers license because of my vision(20/300 and 20/80) and the bus system in the area is a joke so it was either ride or not be able to get anything. But I rather bike then ride a bus or car anyways. I actually enjoy the ride ir might take longer but then I also dont have to spend time in a gym keeping in shape too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Back when gas was over $4/gal, a friend at work was contemplating riding in. I said I would do it if he would. It was on!! My commute was about twice as long as his but knowing he was riding made me do it too. I always thought to myself: "I can't let Brian get a lead...I gotta ride or I'm really gonna hear about it!"

For the first couple of weeks it was tough going because I was in bad shape and a 24 mile round trip commute was pretty grueling. As time went by, I upgraded some stuff on my bike to make it more enjoyable.

That's what worked for me. Brian and I both still ride but the good natured competition is pretty well over. We now just encourage each other.

So, find a riding buddy to keep you accountable and keep you going when you feel like quitting.

Good luck!!

BIG and Bald
    Kinda of hard to find a commuting partner at 5:30 in the morning. LOL Good thing is my work commute is only 4 miles one way.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I started commuting by bike mostly because I didn't have enough time to get to the gym when I wanted to. With ~ 1/2 ride each way, I get a good hour workout- and given rush-hour traffic, my commute time really hasn't changed. Saving money on gas was, and has been, just an additional bonus. To make my life easier, I pack everything the night before so all I need to do is put on my bike clothes, grab the backpack, and go.

I'd recommend starting by deciding to ride twice a week, and then increase it once you get into a rhythm.

Most of my coworkers originally thought I was demented for riding, especially in the winter (I'm just outside of Boston), but they've gotten used to it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast