mtbr member

How to NOT eat your pants?

I've recently converted my old steel Trek 820 into a commuter and started riding to work in the mornings. It's an awesome bike for street riding but I have been destroying pants legs in the process WAY too often. Any suggestions on how to stop this? I was thinking of converting the front cranks to a single cog setup rather than the 3 cog setup it has now. It seems that the outher cog is the one catching my pants leg and I'm hoping that chaning to a single up front would eliminate this. I've tried just rubberbanding my pants leg down but that seems like only a temporary fix as I just lose rubber bands and break them. Rolling up one pant leg works also but I look a little odd. What do you guys do?

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    theres little velcro straps that are made to go around your ankle to keep your pants from going into the rings but I just double up a huge rubber band instead. I have also seen guys use clips and pinch the extra cloth to keep their pants tight on their ankles.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    The most obvious solution to me seems to be; just wear shorts and change at work. I like the velcro idea if you have to wear pants though. The big box home stores (and probably other places) have velcro straps made for bundling entertainment system or computer cables. They would be cheap and effective.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, I just use some short velco straps that I got at the local hardware store. Two in a package so you can lose one. I find that rolling up one leg never stays. When I wear pants it's in the winter, so I just stick my pants into my socks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ummmm... roll them up
    Let The Good Times Roll

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    how to NOT eat your pants?

grilled with peanut butter. yuck

El Pollo Diablo
    I rolled the leg up all the time...
    until this last bike to work day, when I found a velcro strap someone had jetisoned...
    now I use that.
    (or, half my bikes have bashies, which solve the problem nicely)

mtbr member
    ought a replacement cheepie crankset which had a plastic gard, then it broke and I'm rolling them up again! velcro and rubber bands don't stop the greesy stains for me, but changing from wd40 to a wax lube helped considerably...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I use one of my dogs old collars around my leg. Works well and has a plastic buckle that makes it easy to get on and off.

weirdo
    Who posted that cool pant-leg mod last time this came up? I think he installed a button and button hole on the right leg of all his riding pants- sounds like a slick plan to me. Personally, I use a variety of methods- on one pair of pants, I put a tack stitch into one leg so it can`t flop loose so much, when I wear other pants, I tuck them into my sock if I have problems (don`t like rolling them up), my wife uses mini bungees, about 6 in long that came like 25 in a jar from W-mart. If you think getting rid of some rings might help, why not just ditch the big one for a big `ol bash guard? The little one probably doesn`t cause any problems. Might work better- my mtb has two rings and a bash guard and it eats less pants than when it was tripple, but still catched thin ones if its windy. If I used all the rings though, I probably wouldn`t want to pitch any.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockpharmer
    how to NOT eat your pants?

grilled with peanut butter. yuck
    Ahhhhh, sweet memories!

An old girlfriend and her strawberry edible panties........

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Ahhhhh, sweet memories!

An old girlfriend and her strawberry edible panties........

I think I knew her.