Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

How Much Weight Have You Lost Commuting?

I am in a relatively good position right now in that I have to commute to another part of the city, which is further than my last commute, along with offering the last mile towards the destination of steady uphill.

This is good because I was looking to drop 20 or so pounds and alter my fat to muscle ratio. Unfortunately, the last commute did nothing. This one is really brutal, and "only" eight or so miles, but in very bad conditions in a former DDR city. Each way is close to one hour due to not being able to keep up high speeds on the particular roadways, many crossings across busy city roads and tram crossings, and the long uphill with my POS commuter with a skipping hub. Lots of cobblestones, broken sidewalks and roads, dirt sidewalks, and inclines. So I'm feeling fitter and already dropped a few pounds. Maybe I'll get to my goal, especially since this means seven days of riding a week, including my weekend trail riding.

So how much have you guys gone down after commuting? Any other health improvement stories?
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 02-04-2009 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Over the past year, I have lost about 30 pounds. I'm 6'1" and I weighed 230 pounds in April of 2008. I started commuting consistantly in April/May (2008) when gas hit $4 a gallon. By August/September I weighed 195. I also changed some eating habits and did other physical activities, so it wasn't 100% commuting. But I would guess that at least 70% of my weight loss came from riding my bike. This year my goal is to get down to 185. I have about 15 pounds to go to reach my goal because I've gained about 5 pounds over the winter. I would like to get down to my goal weight by April 28th, which will mean a loss of 45 pounds in a year or less.

mtbr member
    WOW! I am almost the same Solomon. I was 6'1 228lbs last spring. When I started commuting full time I came down to right at 200lbs and I have held steady there for quite a while.

I also look to get down to 185 this summer with some more intense riding and watching my diet a bit more closely.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

banned
    I'll be commuting for six more months, and through the summer. At that point, I expect to lose even more. Right now, I'm layered up and riding through subzero temps wearing all gore and coolmax layers and working up a nice sweat.

mtbr member
    yeah, I have been doing the subzero riding here lately as well. I find that this limits my overall riding time. I only live 3 miles from where I work and 5 miles from where I go to school but in the summer I would take longer trips of 15-25 miles one way to see people or run errands. Due to the terrible road conditions and freezing temps it just isnt feasible to do the longer rides right now so that has made my weight sort of plateau.

I will also comment that when I commute it isnt just a lackadaisical ride in the park like some people prefer. I go out there and just turn and burn wherever I go. I typically average 18+ MPH on my commutes so the intensity really helped me drop lbs even though the distance isnt all that far.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Helmsdini, it would be nice if we could compare numbers over the next few months or until we both meet our goals. Maybe we can motivate one another to get to where we want to be.

In the rear with the beer
    Not enough.....but I'm working on it. I am down 15lbs in the past 4 weeks though! I've found that the weeks when I dont' commute at all, my weight stays flat...when I do commute once or twice, I drop a few lbs.....hmmm....guess that kinda makes sense, huh....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Slowly but surely...
    I'm 6'2" and when I started commuting by bike, I lost about 22 pounds over the first few months but since then I've basically been the same weight (about 8 months now). I find that even though I push myself when I ride (10 miles each way through a somewhat hilly area) I seem stuck at my current weight. Though it may be nice to lose another 10 pounds, I think it will take more than just biking to do it (like cutting down on the sweets) Not sure I'm that motivated yet
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Lots of cobblestones, broken sidewalks and roads, dirt sidewalks, and inclines.
    I love urban stuff like this, it's just like an MTB ride and great training on a daily commute!

I was already in pretty good shape, weight-wise before I started commuting but all the exercise helps keep my blood glucose levels down and is an over-all health benefit. Plus it's usually the only chance I get to ride during the work week. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    In my first three months of commuting I lost 45lbs. It was the summer after I graduated high school. I was 220lbs, 6'4". I've gained 10lbs and 1" over the last 5.5 years. I can't seem to get that last bit of fat off my gut. If I did some sit ups I'm sure it would help. I haven't used a car since summer of '06.

mtbr member
    None. I weigh the same now as when I started commuting via bike. In fact, technically I have gained a pound or two! To be fair, I was already relatively "fit" when I started. I now use my commuting for getting some of the training for XC races out of the way.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I dropped 25 pounds in the first few months, since then weight loss has been slower. Only about 5 pounds in the past year. My doctor says not to worry about the weight so much as muscle weighs more than fat by volume. The important thing is the 6 inches of waistline I've dropped. My goal is another 2 inches by end of summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    About sixteen pounds in two months with no other modification to diet. Need to get back on it again when it warms up and hours drop back down to something approaching sensible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    Helmsdini, it would be nice if we could compare numbers over the next few months or until we both meet our goals. Maybe we can motivate one another to get to where we want to be.

Sounds like a great idea to me! Matter of fact- it looks like we arent the only ones with weight resolutions for the new year, maybe we can start an entire "weight loss competition" thread toward spring and just keep track of everyone's goals and exercise.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I began commuting in August of last year. 28 miles a day...mostly on highway. It worked out to a bit under 2 hours a day in the saddle. I ate OK already...not much red meat...lots of eggs and cheese. My weight was relatively stable before I started riding at about 210 pounds. I did not change my diet when I began riding.

I dropped weight pretty fast. After a month or so I had dropped to 190 and then I kind of stabilized. I stopped riding at the end of November when I came down with a really nasty cold/flu thing. Then my employer closed the plant for the last 2 weeks of December. As a result, I packed on some more weight over the holidays and I'm at 194 now. The mornings have been icy and foggy a lot here lately so I'm not riding as consistently as I was. I also got another cold which has kept me off the bike this week. I'm hoping to ride tomorrow though.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I lost 70 pounds, commuting. I went from a porkly 230lbs...to 160lbs, in 1.5 years of commuting. I'm 5'7"...but at 230- all the mileage I could handle, was about 40 miles/week. Now, at 160- my miles logged are about 100-120/week. I cannot fully credit riding, for this amazing weight loss. I had to also completely modify my diet, and eating habits, too. Before, I was eating about 5000 calories/day, mostly sweets, soda and junk food. Now, I eat between 2000 and 2750 calories/day of fruit, salads, nuts and lean protein.

I went from not being able to see my own weight on the bathroom scale(20% body fat level)...to having six-pack abs(9% body fat), for the first time in my entire adult life. At 44 years old- even younger women notice me now. Before, I was totally INVISIBLE to them! Buying an LBS bike was the wisest decision I ever made, and even better than the most exclusive gym membership.

I just recently purchased a 15lb road bike. My next goal is to do a "century"(100-mile) ride!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A word to the wise from a 56 year old biking diabetic with a big toe amputation and a non healing ulcer on the ball of the bottom of the same foot the size of a Quarter. Watch your sugar.(glucose level). You may think it can't happen to you, but so did I. Drink a glass of orange juice or eat something sweet when you complete your ride. That means YOU.---zarr
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nada. But I don't have much to drop. Im trying to use my commute as extra training for the endurance races Im doing this summer.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    All that sweating you're doing means more than just you're getting in shape. It also means your glucose level is lowered and needs replenishing. I don't want to see anything happen to you guys. That's why I'm telling you this. I almost lost my life due to diabetes. I was about two weeks away from death and didn't even know it. Watch Yourself.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

banned
    God zarr, where do you make up these false medical corellaries from? You're not a doctor, nor are you a bike expert like you pretend. One can even google to find out what the sweating means. It's a physiogic response to body temperature.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 02-04-2009 at 10:37 PM.

fux
    Scooterist
    My commute is 40km a day and I lost 86Lb`s last year.

I started training in may and i`ll be racing in the nationals this year.

Commuting on your bike is certainly a good way to fight the flab.

Here is a picture from Jan 08.. (I`m the little fatty in orange)

April 08...

A bit of a difference, eh?
    Last edited by fux; 02-05-2009 at 02:54 AM.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

banned
    Wow, great to see.

local trails rider
    I doubt I've lost much on my 5 mile each way commute, but it keeps me riding almost every day. Most likely I'd have gained quite a bit without it.

Riding to work puts me in a better mood than driving or taking the bus.

banned
    Gaining wouldn't be a surprise, depending on the person, due to putting on more muscle, and losing fat. However, muscle weighs more than fat, so even that could be deceiving. I'm aiming for an overall weight reduction and improvement in the BMI. Hopefully at that point, I have a good amount of muscle that consumes more calories under basal conditions.

local trails rider
    I dont weigh myself but the mirror and the length of my belt tell me things....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast