mtbr member

How much do you carry?

ever since I got the Ortlieb panniers, I carry about enough stuff to survive in the wild if I get lost on my 9 mile urban commute...I'm thinking of getting a backpack and taking a multi-tool, a spare tube, my pump and clothes/food for the day. If I did have a problem, I could likely call a co-worker to get in, or my Wife to get home. my question? what is the bare minimum you carry with you on your commute? Do I really need to take much along, or should I expect that me and my bike will make it to work just fine?

Rides all the bikes!
    Well, bare in mind that I am capable of running 9 miles comfortably (which is about the distance of my commute). So worst case scenario, I have to walk 4.5 miles. That about an hour and not a big deal for me.

I carry the same supplies I do on a 100 mile ride:
    Tube
    Patch kit
    Pump
    Multitool

I'd rather be on my bike
    Aside from my clothes/necessities for work? Sometimes a multi tool and some money. Oops.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    In pannier:
    Work clothes
    Lunch
    Two tubes (have double-flatted a couple of times)
    Tire lever
    Multi-tool
    A few tie-wraps

On frame/bike:
    Water bottle
    Pump with duct tape wrapped around it
    Lights/batteries
    Bike computer (Garmin)

CB of the East
    I shuttle clothes and food to work in a car once/week.

I have a fanny pack (which I often get harassed for) which has a multi-tool, some tape, some zip ties, pump, C02, levers and patch kit. Plus cellphone wallet and keys. I ride a bunch of different bikes so having all that stuff easily transferable is key. Since every bike seems to have a different tube size I put a small seat pack on each one with just a tube. If I'm riding a solo century or far away from home I'll tape a spare tire to the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Coffee thermos.

jrm
    mtbr member
    rolled up pants, shirt, underwear, belt. Extra clothes in case the day requires some layering. tube, patch kit and transit pass. Basically i can get anywhere i need to be if i break down using the transit pass.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Coffee thermos.
    Yeah, that too on the commutes or morning rides.

mtbr member
    It depends on the time of year. In the summer I will head out the door with just my clothes for the day, lunch, and coffee. I'll bring a tube, multitool, and pump... if I think about it. Some days I have a computer with me and others I don't.

In the winter, though, that is a different matter. In the winter I use both pannier bags and in one are my clothes for the day, a down sweater, and stocking cap. In the other is my coffee and lunch as well as two extra pairs of gloves (different weights - I have a light, medium, and oh my god it's cold out pair), two or three extra Buffs. Extra pair of socks, extra wind-breaker jacket, mini tool, tube, pump, and, depending on how cold it is supposed to be, I often pack a second down coat. While my commute ride isn't in the middle of nowhere, if I were to break down I have up to a five mile walk to the office. City buses don't fit fat bikes, cabs won't allow you to put the bike in the trunk, and give the time of day I arrive in town, none of my coworkers would be too happy to come pick me up... and I'm not sure that I am close enough with any of them to ask in the first place.

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    Same as the others. Of course the clothes for the day, toiletries to clean-up with and breakfast (Oatmeal) and lunch.
    Normal bike items are nearly the same as for my regular rides includes; patch-kit, pump an extra tube and the multi tool. But for the commute, since I have extra room, I also include mittens, a warm skull cap and an extra light as a back-up and the lock/cable to secure the bike at work.

mtbr member
    Mostly food for the day and this time of year a different set of clothes for the ride home as it can be in the 20s on my way in and 50 for the ride home. I used to drive in once a week to carry extra supplies, but the addition of an Ebike eliminates the need to drive if I have errands or need to be somewhere ridiculously early or late. Yesterday I Ebiked, brought in fresh supplies and rode home with groceries for the weekend including a six pack of beer. Nice to have that option. Also started using a dry cleaner next to work to eliminate the need to carry shirts and slacks.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

mtbr member
    I carry a spare tube, pump, patch and repair kit, multitool with chainwrench, zipties, spare chainlinks (the ones that were left when I changed the chain).

In addition usually a t-shirt and buttondown shirt for the day. Depending on the weather I bring a rainjacket/pants/shoe covers. When I wear it in a shower and take it off when its dry again, I strap it on my rack under the bungees to keep my pannier dry inside.

psycho cyclo addict
    Generally a drawstring bag or slightly larger backpack.

As little as possible in terms of clothing (pack commuter pants, undies and polo shirt). My lunch and a few munchies. Tools are already on the bike under my saddle. I also carry a slightly larger hand pump.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Class Clown
    small backpack in summer and bigger in winter. it can get heavy with raingear, gloves, hats, clothes, etc. water bottle for commute hydro bag for longer rides. i carry enough tools to fix the most issues within reason. u lock, food, phone. summer rides are better with a lighter pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    As time goes on, I carry more. I use a set of panniers one of which is only work stuff and lunch. It is always very full.

In the other, it is my supposed necessities. I have rain gear, tube, pump, spare socks, gloves, stocking cap, derailleur cable, small tool, chain link, patch kit, and batteries. that bag is about 2/3 full.

I have not needed to make any roadside repair in 10 years, though, so perhaps, I don't need some of that.

Moderator Moderator
    The heaviest things I carry are 2 thermoses, 1 with a pint of coffee and one with 120z of oatmeal with maple syrup, because I enjoy these things when I get to work. I carry a tube and tools and pump, even though I rarely need to use them and might just catch the bus instead if it is cold. I like to feel self-reliant, and sadly the bike shop at the work end of my commute recently closed, so no more leaving it for a quick fix during the workday. I leave shoes and some clothes at work, but generally carry some clothing both ways. My lights get heavier in winter, they have a couple of decent sized battery packs (1 rides on the bike, 1 in my backpack).