Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Listen! How many miles will you have for 2008?

This has been my first year commuting and it has worked out great for me. I'm in much better shape than I have been in years; I didn't feel completely helpless by gas prices when they started going up earlier this year; and best of all I've lost over 35 pounds since I started riding this Spring.

I have currently logged 2,482 miles so far this year. At the rate that I'm going, I should end the year with just over 2,600 miles. I didn't have a bike computer for the first few weeks I began riding so I actually should have a little more than that.

So here are a couple of questions for everyone:
    1. How many miles have you logged so far this year?
    2. How many miles do you estimate you will have ridden by the end of the year?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm going to be right about 6,500 for the year. I just went over 6,000 yesterday and 500 in December should be realistic, assuming no huge blizzard to cut my riding. Of those miles it is hard to say what percentage are from commuting as I frequently use before/after work to add miles to riding for training. My hunch would be about 2,000 miles of commuting and not car driving for "work".
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't use computers, so it's hard to know for sure. I'd need a computer for four bikes (soon to be five) and that just seems unnecessary. Just getting to work and school for any given week is about 70 miles, so about 3600 just in getting where I need to go. I'm sure I've got about that in having fun on my bike too. I also purchased no gas again this year. Summer '06 was the last time.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I've got just over 280. But, I just started commuting to work part-time in October. I should end the year with somewhere around 500.

I've got just almost 2000 single-track miles for the year, but I guess they don't count...

No-Brakes Cougar
    Not so many, as I just started in October. My commute is 21 miles per week, minus days off where there's no time to ride or on vacation, plus days off where there's recreational rides, I figure it will be well over 1000 miles a year. I need a longer commute. Google pedometer is great though for figuring the mileage on those off-day rides.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway
    I've got just over 280. But, I just started commuting to work part-time in October. I should end the year with somewhere around 500.

I've got just almost 2000 single-track miles for the year, but I guess they don't count...
    I would say that your single-track miles count. All of my miles aren't to/from work miles either. I seriously doubt that anyone who keeps track of their miles separates commuting miles from recreation miles (unless they use separate bikes).
    Last edited by Solomon76; 11-30-2008 at 01:14 PM.

weirdo
    Dcmunne, you`re groovin! 6500 miles might just be more than I get on the bike and in the car put together! Nah, but it`s a lot more than I get on the bike.

I only have a computer on one of my two and a half bikes, so I guestimate about 1300 commuting and about twice that for a total. I used to get around 1000 per year mountain biking, but much less over the last couple years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I estimate I'll be at about ~5000 miles. I was doing a 40-mile round trip, with some longer days when I felt like it, but with winter setting in, I'm currently having a blast commuting on our trail system with my XC race bike, and naturally I don't get as many miles riding off-road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I only started in August and have missed about 5 days since then. I think I'm sitting at about 1500 commute miles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I started in September--can't believe it took me so long to figure out how great it would be to show up to work after a 12-mile ride in. I'm at 775 today, and I may break 1000 by the 22nd when my vacations starts.

Hey. This is my second post. Glad to be here!

Cheers!
    -t-

Devo
    ya, living car lite, or sans car is great.
    I haven't had a car for about 5yrs.
    as things have turned out for me, i quit my job 15 months ago...
    as lucky as I am, I've even been able to do a bunch of touring this year too.

i would not be surprised if this year's milage would be around 30k

i've long since quit "training", and I've got to the point where i dont strive for an event, etc.

i simply just ride the bike, and take off when ever i feel like a tour, camping etc...

however, at some point i will need to get a job...

as the turn of events have been for me, i keep selling off my things, and i have a strong notion to "live on the Bike", work as needed, save some cash, quit work, and do more touring.

come spring, I hope to get to visit a buddy on Pine Ridge Reservation in SD.

that ought to be interesting. bike trip of course. I do use AmTrak and buses at will.

but ya... commuting, etc...
    in my heart is really what bikes are all about, if you can manage to break the Rat Race Cycle every so often.

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    I would say that your single-track miles count. All of my miles aren't to/from work miles either. I seriously doubt that anyone who keeps track of their miles separates commuting miles from recreation miles (unless they use separate bikes).
    I commute on a cross bike, and single track on a couple of mountain bikes (one single-speed, one geared), so I keep track separately.

My goal for 2009 is going to be 3000+ commute miles and 2000+ single track miles.

I Ride for Donuts
    Just did the math...assuming the big storms come after the new year, I'll be at just over 2500 for the year. That's mostly commute, with a couple centuries in the summer and a few mountian bike day-trips. Probably 2000 of that was on my 'cross bike.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I dont commute at all but i put about 400 on my mtb and about 250 on my road bike.
    175 of the road bike was done in 2 days durring the ms city to shore ride.
    I would like to start logging more miles but im going to have to learn how to gear up for winter weather.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am running ~3500 April-April on the bike w/ computer, annually, and a few hundred more on the other.

I'm SUCH a square....
    If I had to estimate it, I'd probably hit 2800-3000 miles this year; I lost the last 6 weeks due to the c-bone, but I'm still pretty much there.

I don't really concern myself with that; I'm more into the fun of the rides, my HR during the rides, and keeping the number of days OFF the bike to a minimum.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

lord of my world
    I have about 3500 miles. I had 3200 at the end of October, when I cut the computers of all my bikes. I was to dependent on them. I'll probably get another 300 next month.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm trying to keep the miles big, the goal for 2009 is 7,000 total. This should be possible since my racing focus is shifting from normal cross country to endurance races, which just means I'll need to ride more to finish the races.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccune
    I'm trying to keep the miles big, the goal for 2009 is 7,000 total. This should be possible since my racing focus is shifting from normal cross country to endurance races, which just means I'll need to ride more to finish the races.
    7400 km this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    about 3,500 for me. pretty good year as we are in a drought and I got to ride way more in the spring than usual. After 18 years I finally bought a geared bike in July. Can't really notice a difference in time.

mtbr member
    Why do you care?
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I currently have 1,920 miles on my cyclocomputer. A year ago, I also weighed 70 pounds heavier. You have NO IDEA what a relief losing that extra bulk is! About half of the miles were big, hill miles too. I went from having a hard time seeing my own weight on the scale.....to having an abdominal six-pack, for the first time in my adult life. At 44 years old- its nice seeing younger girls notice you all the time now......
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member

milage

I started commuting in March 2008 and will finish the year with around 2400 miles. wow that looks cool when I typed it out. good for me, as long as i dont look at you 5000-30000 mile guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I don't use computers, so it's hard to know for sure. I'd need a computer for four bikes (soon to be five) and that just seems unnecessary. Just getting to work and school for any given week is about 70 miles, so about 3600 just in getting where I need to go. I'm sure I've got about that in having fun on my bike too. I also purchased no gas again this year. Summer '06 was the last time.
    meh, get a garmin edge 205 on the cheap (comes with two mounts), buy a couple extra mounts, and you'll be fine. no stupid sensors or anything to mess with, and some handy navigation tools if you ever get adventurous and want to try a shortcut.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Almost 5k miles of commuting this year and it will stay around there. 2k running too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast