mtbr member
    Apr 2008

How do you keep cool?

Here in Texas the mercury is now hitting near 100 everyday and I am starting to dread riding to school. How do you guys out there stay, or rather, try to stay cool? I got cold water and head protection but what else is there? I wear light colored clothing and try to take it easy so I don't sweat like crazy before class. I think I'm just SOL, but I'll take any suggestions. Please help!

Known Mountainbiker
    Evaperation is the key to refrigeration. In otherwords, you're SOL unless you sweat or soak yourself before, during and after your ride.

But you're doing what you should do; light colored clothes and just take it at a mellow pace. Find a route with lots of shade. Commute early or late in the day. Just be sure to hydrate and make sure sodium is part of your diet.

What's wrong with getting to class all sweaty anyway?

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cazloco, when I see your avatar, I want a beer... Strange.

Like catnip for people
    I know! Cover your entire body with antiperspirant!

I tend to go hard on my rides to school; however I'm lucky in that it's not too hot here... But I do sweat a bit... Why not just take a change of clothes in your bag (what I do) ... You know, ride in your bike gear... then just go change in the bathrooms or whatever.

mtbr member
    It's impossible to stay completely cool when it gets that hot. Here is what I do to stay fresh without taking a shower on the otherside of my commute:

1. Shower before your ride. Use a good anti-bacterial soap.
    2. Take it easy!
    3. Take it really easy for the last mile or so.
    4. As soon as you can, wipe down your pits and anywhere you sweat alot with an alcohol wipe after getting to where you're going. You can find little packets of alcohol wipes at any store with a pharmacy. Wash your hands, arms and face.
    5. Ride hard on your way home to make up for riding like a wuss on the way there.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Put your clothes in a bag and ride naked. Then just towel off at school and put your clothes on. Bring some Axe to cover up the smell.

Chicks will dig it.

is buachail foighneach me
    i'm getting ready to try a new method of keeping cool in the summer. it takes a bit more work initially, but in the end, it should work. should also have the same effect in the winter... basically, what i'm going to do is move to alaska.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I find myself amazed at how well these high tech cycling jerseys work. Super evaporative!

One What?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    Put your clothes in a bag and ride naked. Then just towel off at school and put your clothes on. Bring some Axe to cover up the smell.

Chicks will dig it.
    Why put them back on at all?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I agree, nakedness is the only way to go. If your shy or insecure, then just rock the short-shorts w/ no shirt.
    Short shorts are like A/C for the crotch!

Last edited by D.Crank; 05-31-2008 at 08:28 PM.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Crank
    Short shorts are like A/C for the crotch!
    Camando!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    wool jersey
    Let The Good Times Roll

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Shower?

I tried it and it works!!! Schools have them in the locker room (gym). I get there 15 minutes earlier and voilą.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    just ride faster. the wind will provide a coling effect..... you might have to ride realy fast though...

mtbr member
    In southern Arizona, "cool" dissappears from our vocabulary during the summer.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

In the rear with the beer
    Ask this question in the Arizona forum. The commuters here, especially in the Phoenix area, have to have it down to a science....pure matter of survival!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I agree that you are doing probably all you can. Honestly, I would forget about trying to stay cool on the way in unless you are doing the whole go in early leave late thing.

Just bring a change of clothes and grab a shower. Easy peasy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Why cant you leave a little early and get a shower at the school gym?
    Here in South Texas summers I cut my hair really short, wear light colored clothing, drink water starting about 2 hours before my commute home, eat a snickers marathon bar right before the ride so I will have energy to combat the draining effect of the heat, but mostly, I ride in any scrap of shade I can find!
    The heat index was around 110F the last couple of weeks on my afternoon commute.
    Crazy.

Token Hillbilly
    I once heard the comedian Gallagher say that life is a b!tch... but you can learn to deal with her.

I live in Arkansas, and while we aren't at the 100 mark yet, we are hitting high 90's with the obligatory summertime 80-90% humidity. There is no magic combination of clothing/equipment to beat the heat and normal body functions in those conditions. So I did the next best thing... I procured a location for a shower, and started commuting on an every other day basis. On the off days, I bring an extra set of work clothes for the following morning when I will be riding in. Not a perfect scenario, but workable. I get a decent workout/restout schedule, and don't stink people out of the office.

Win, win!
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

In the rear with the beer
    Start early and leave late (before/after heat)....isn't that also what Rockafeller (or some other titan of industry) once said about how to succeed(be the first to the office and the last one to leave)? So Not only do you save money on gas, lose weight, increase your fitness, and help save the environment....you also start the path to millions!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"