mtbr member

How do you haul clothes?

Crashed the cage when I hydroplaned on the highway a couple weeks ago. Its got to go to the shop for 11 days and this will help me get into commuting. Something I have been looking forward to with the cool of the weather in South Florida. Being that it is nearly the end of October and we are still seeing temps in the mid 90s and 100% humidity it is not practical to commute in my work clothes. I have showers available at work and plan to use them. I have a few concerns and I am sure you guys experience will help my commuting worries disappear. How do you haul your clean dry clothes to work and keep them clean and dry when you arrive?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I use a set of panniers- i leave shoes at work. I also leave toiletries at work and shower when I get there.

mtbr member
    Garment bag panniers exist if you have to wear a suit or be more wrinkle-free at work (a sample):

Enjoy urban commuting.

TransIt Garment Bag Pannier - Special Accessories for Fall

Review of the Nashbar/Performance bag:

Nashbar Garment Bag Pannier Review | Commute by Bike

Less critical clothes can go in a regular pannier or in a backpack. Some leave a collection of clothes at work on the weekend then haul the day's laundry home when wrinkles are no longer an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Waterproof panniers. I prefer to keep a bag off my back, as wearing a bag just always makes me more damp from sweat. A rear rack is pretty essential for commuting.

Also, you may want to consider just keeping an extra change or 2 of clothes at work. That way in case something happens, you're covered. Or because sometimes you might want to take another bike and it doesn't have a rack for the panniers. Or whatever reason you can think up.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    In a plastic bag in a waterproof pannier. I lay out, folded as if I were putting them in a drawer, pants, shirt, and boxers (which I specify only to indicate the shape and quantity of material) in that order, with the boxers positioned to sit over the collar and end at the halfway mark of the other 2 items, and then fold the whole assembly in half. Stuff into bag, roll the bag around the bundle. Some wrinkles, probably, but nothing major. I usually leave my shoes at the office all week, and pants stay here for 2-3 days at a stretch (just leave them hanging up at the end of the day to air out). I also leave a sweater or other warm over-garment in my office since it tends to get cold in here. Sounds like that won't be an issue for you.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Roll clothes, instead of folding them....way less wrinkles.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

I Ride for Donuts
    I roll stuff when I need to haul it in the backpack... but I stash several pairs of pants and shirts and shoes at work, and swap them out once every week or two when I'm nearby with a car... (do you have a spouse/2nd car so that's an option?) That way I'm only hauling undies on a daily basis.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. Seems that panniers are the way to go. Any recommendations on those? Anyone using the Banjo bros?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I use a set of Seattle Titan bags. Roomy, kept my stuff dry through some pretty good rain. Waterproof enough that when my soup spills from my lunch it doesn't leak out, just pools at the bottom of the bag. Paid $75 for the pair. Of note: I generally leave them on the bike. They come off to wash out the aforementioned spills and occasionally if I need better access for bike maintenance, but that's it. I've heard the attachment to the rack can break if you install/remove daily, and from my experience with them I believe it. Then again I've also never used any other kind of serious pannier, my first bag just attached with velcro.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I roll stuff when I need to haul it in the backpack... but I stash several pairs of pants and shirts and shoes at work, and swap them out once every week or two when I'm nearby with a car... (do you have a spouse/2nd car so that's an option?) That way I'm only hauling undies on a daily basis.
    I too typically only haul undies and socks back and forth (I like a 100% dry pair for riding home instead of a pair I wore all day), and keep a stockpile of clothes in my cube at work.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ortleib.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Fat-tired Roadie
    How long is your commute? I didn't ride very far most of the time, and usually found I was happier just to use a messenger bag.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Depends how much I need to take, either a backpack (the vast majority of days) or panniers. In my backpack (Osprey Momentum 34) I can fit pants, t-shirt, sweater or button down shirt, boxers, socks, my lunch, a big heavy 17" laptop and plenty more. On the way home I also bring my wet towel (I just use hand towels to dry off at work). On cold and/or wet days I often bring different layers for the ride home. Today I brought a rain coat, rain pants and soft shell gloves for the ride home, I will also be shedding a layer that's going in my backpack because it's going to be 20 degrees warmer than it was this morning. On a rare occasion, I bring my Ortlieb panniers. That's typically if I need to take any thing unusual/extra. That's only once every few weeks maybe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I use a backpack and one pannier. The backpack is best for all those small things like keys, cell phone and so on, but shoes work best in a pannier. I ride a cargo bike, so I just stuff both the backpack and the pannier inside the cargo bags anyway.

Dress shoes always take up the most room for me, but I have to bring them. As part of my (lets not forget anything) ritual I put a clean pair of socks in one shoe, and a dress belt in the other. This saves room and helps make sure I don't end up wearing sweat soaked athletic socks to a business meeting.

Towels take up a lot of room, so I hang up my towel on a hanger after showering (at work) and just replace it once a week. Hopefully you have somewhere to hang a towel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minte View Post
    I use a backpack and one pannier. The backpack is best for all those small things like keys, cell phone and so on, but shoes work best in a pannier. I ride a cargo bike, so I just stuff both the backpack and the pannier inside the cargo bags anyway.

Dress shoes always take up the most room for me, but I have to bring them. As part of my (lets not forget anything) ritual I put a clean pair of socks in one shoe, and a dress belt in the other. This saves room and helps make sure I don't end up wearing sweat soaked athletic socks to a business meeting.

Towels take up a lot of room, so I hang up my towel on a hanger after showering (at work) and just replace it once a week. Hopefully you have somewhere to hang a towel.
    Belt in the shoes is a great space saver. Leather belts take up a fair amount of space. I'm an advocate of leaving a pair of shoes at work, but I also sometimes wish I had a different pair. As far as the towel goes, hand towel save a lot of space vs. a regular size towel.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    +1 for keeping clothes at work. I hang all my shirts, pants and suits at work and bring them to a nearby dry-cleaner weekly. The expense is offset by not having to pay for driving or public transport. Shirts last much longer with dry-cleaning anyway.

mtbr member
    I was able to score a locker this week and I believe it is going to be a great tool to help get me to achieving this goal. May have to get a second one for clean clothes and dress shoes. I like the dry cleaners idea. I am sure I could find one down town with pick up and drop off services. Need to get several things in order. Lights, shower shoes and the sorts. I think I will start with the back pack and proceed as necessary from there. My plan is to get to the train the first couple weeks and step it up from there. I am battling the great light debate right now.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

Corn Fed Iowan in Arkansa
    I use a Banjo Brother Large Commuter Backpack. This pack is large enough to haul a laptop, size 15 dress shoes, a towel, toiletries (in addition to what is at work) if needed, lock, rolled dress slacks and dress shirt.

Been very pleased with this purchase.