A God Without A Name

How do you feel about putting overbuilt (DH, freeride, BMX) parts on your commuter?

As long as you're willing to pay the weight penalty and it still fits, its fine with me.

I found this Cross Check on a Blog...

How do you feel about putting overbuilt (DH, freeride, BMX) parts on your commuter?-suzakicheck01.jpg
    SURLY - ABOVE - BIKE Cross-Check CHECK : abovebikestore officialweb

And the freeride stem and Profile cranks look absolutely sexy on it (at least to me)

I've been doing the hard math, down to the mm for the fit on my Surly Straggler, and realized that when I compensate for the extended reach I will get out of changing from flats to drops, I can totally rock a stubby stem. I'll take the profile crank too...

I admit there is a bit of vanity here, I just think it looks cool. but the weight penalty is not all that severe. and given the fact it's going on a 4130 steel commuter, I think it's borderline practical.

Thoughts? Opinons? disgust?

mtbr member
    Disgust? LOL

I just read your post on another thread, Ag (no, not stalking you) and got the impression you were transitioning to a faster pavement ride. If so, then you should be thinking weight weenie in all aspects of your build. Period. Otherwise, just stick with your Soma and get some super light slicks.

That slammed, stubby stem and dt shifter definitely looks tough, though ...
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

A God Without A Name
    I'm overposting a bit... obsessively, so no worries. I do it each time I plan a bike!

I've done slicks on the soma several times now. while its definitely faster... I just... meh.

I love that bike. but I just have an itch, you know?

on the weight thing I hear you. the stem I've picked (Deity Cavity) comes in at 173 grams. By comparison the Enve Carbon road stem is 120 grams-ish. that 53 gram penalty may add up, but it's not horrible.

Now, to very poorly estimate the Profiles weight, my research shows me the complete set-up in the ballpark of 936 grams. by comparison the Ultegra 6700 crank with ultegra BB will be 876ish. that gets me about 60 more grams.

lastly, the Ultegra 6800 carbon pedals are 260 grams, the Deity Skyskrapers are 381.

So comparing those parts side by side I see about 224g, Or about 7.9 ounces gained. I honestly don't know how much of a difference that saved weight would make, I'm still learning here. my biggest weight concern will honestly be the Alfine, though!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I honestly don't know how much of a difference that saved weight would make, I'm still learning here.
    Probably a case of "It`s the thought that counts" more than anything else.

When I read this thread, I can`t help but think of FeBikes` motorcycle chain. Have you seen that?
    Recalculating....

A God Without A Name
    I looked it up, It's awesome! but I think it may be overkill even for me!

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I don't feel bad about putting overbuilt parts on my commuter. My commuter has a Rohloff hub and a full steel drivetrain, with a chain keeper fitted. It means I know I can beat the living cr*p out of it and not worry about it failing.

Honestly, you'll impact your commuter bike more by adding a rack (3 lbs) or fenders (2 lbs) than you will by haggling over a few oz here or there. If you were to switch out my tires for the heavy duty version of the same time (Marathon Supreme to Marathon Plus), that'd add 2 lbs to my bike right there.

I wouldn't be too wary of adding a little weight by using overbuilt parts on the frame itself, but I would be wary of doing it on the wheels. You really notice rotational weight increases.

How do you feel about putting overbuilt (DH, freeride, BMX) parts on your commu

I wouldn't worry too much. As already mentioned, a rack and fenders add quite a bit of weight on their own.

I do wish I had the budget for double or triple butted spokes on my wheelset when I built it. I went with stronger rims and I'd have appreciated the weight savings in spokes.

mtbr member
    My commuter is built with all MTB gear apart from tyres, and comes in at 8.1kg...
    29er XC wheels, XC disc brakes, AM bars and stem, etc... Looks sexy, works.

I Ride for Donuts
    I use a DH stem on my Ogre, because it puts the drop bars in the right place. So I guess I'm fine with it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)