mtbr member
    Aug 2008

How do you deal with fog?

It has been really foggy here lately in the early morning when I need to leave for work. In the dark I need a light but it's like riding while someone holds a bedsheet in front of me. That is not even considering how practically invisible I am to cars in the fog.

So, I have been forced to drive the car on really foggy days. Anybody have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I prefer biking compared to driving in fog (not that I drive anymore. Cars are for the weak. ) I have bright blinky rear lights (Superflash is AWESOME). I just use my eyes to see ahead. Be slower and more cautious. Watch for a car behind you that doesn't see you. Lights are more visible in the fog, but shine less distance. Maybe your fog is worse than mine.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I go slower, stay off the main routes more, keep the rear blinky on. So far, all my encounters with cars have been on sunny days, except one. (That one was an experience I'd like to forget.)
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    My encounters with heavy fog is during dark morning hours and light traffic. Keep the front light mounted low. My first time was with a helmet light...wrong! Don't be concerned about being seen from head on traffic. Adjust your lights so you get the best visibility of the road. Assume you're invisible . Use bright rear blinkies as others have said.

Because vehicles travel slower and their sound travels better in the fog, you have extra time to analyze each encounter and react as needed. It's eerie at first, but gets more comfortable the more you do it.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    So, I have been forced to drive the car on really foggy days. Anybody have any suggestions?
    When it's that foggy, I drive. We're invisible enough to cars in reasonable weather...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Go slower, point headlight closer to ground in front of bike... makes me want a 2ndary headlight on my head for being seen... for me the big deal is freezing fog/black ice, that makes the ground pretty much impassable. Studded tires help w/ that.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Could you try mounting a headlight low on the forks, so that it shines down under the fog like a fog light? Might be difficult without getting it caught in the spokes. You could also try mounting an additional blinky or two on the read stays.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Heading out for 30 miles of dense fog right now. I'm riding the SS mountain bike for easier evasive maneuvers. I think I'm going to add some more reflector tape to my Christmas list.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    been thick fog here for days and freezing, everything is white, tho it's no been snowing, tis great weather, only thing different i've done is put more clothes on and turn my lights on during the day...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    To fight fog I use two $40 LED flashlights that are secured to my front fork, one on each side. I cut two 3" long pieces of 1-1/2" diameter pvc pipe in half (length wise), melted to slots into the outter piece with a large flat head screwdriver (using a propane torch), so I could use a standard pipe clamp to hold the flashlight to the pvc. Then I secure the cut pvc halves to the front fork with two more pipe clamps, one on top and the other below the flashlight; sandwiching the front fork tube. It's a cheap and effective way to secure the flashlights to my fork.

They work great. I stop to turn them on for the fog, or I leave them on while I ride at night, in addition to my handlebar mounted light.