mtbr member

hot weather commuting

it's hot where I live most of the year, often over 100 degrees every day for months on end. anyone who has been in the south for a while knows what I am talking about. I have a 12-15 mile commute and I am driving for now. I would like to start riding at least some of the time but I know that when I get to work I will be a soaked sweaty mess and there's no shower to use. even on a cool day, the hills and distance will take their toll. I can't just put on a clean shirt and some deodorant and go to work feeling like that. how do you folks clean up after a long ride to work?

Beetlejuice!
    I live in Phoenix, where it gets plenty toasty. Although I do have shower facilities at my work, I work alone most of the day so I don't bother. Buy yourself some witch hazel at the drugstore and leave it at work. Wipe yourself down with that when you arrive...it kills the bacteria that causes the odor. You can use apple-cider vinegar too, but I prefer the witch hazel. Then put on some new deodorant and clean dry clothes.

You could also pick up baby wipes if that is easier for you.

The biggest thing that made a difference to me was getting the pack off my back. Its amazing how much cooler you ride with panniers strapped to your bike than you do with any kind of bag on you. Cuts down on the amount of sweat I accumulate on my ride in as well.

Good luck!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless *****" - Sheldon

Moderator Moderator
    I don't envy you folks in the hot weather (I'm in VT), but I will add that I have done the head in the sink rinse or shampoo and it is quite refreshing. On a hot day I will also sometimes choose a longer flatter route if possible - it just doesn't knock me out as bad.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    when is really hot in here we get 86 F some mornings...
    I stop 4 blocks from the office to take a shower at a "gym"....thought about it? something close you can use?...you won't need to pay full fee with a good approach to the manager.

the key, whether you take a shower or use baby wipes is taking a few minutes to cool down and stop sweating...I used to get in the shower as soon as I get to the gym just to keep sweating after the shower

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrider
    The biggest thing that made a difference to me was getting the pack off my back. Its amazing how much cooler you ride with panniers strapped to your bike than you do with any kind of bag on you. Cuts down on the amount of sweat I accumulate on my ride in as well.
    Commuting with a backpack is the worst. It was a life change experience when I started commuting with panniers

OP - Solrider has the info right. Kill the bacteria that causes the stinkage, wear fresh clothes and some fresh deoderant. See if coworkers complain
    :wq

mtbr member
    Taking a shower before your ride will cut down on the smell a lot. When you get to work, just hit the main areas with baby wipes and put on a fresh set of clothes.

+1 on taking the time to cool down after your ride otherwise you'll just sweat in your work clothes.