Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008

::honk Honk:: "get Out Of The F@#$ing Road!"

how do you deal with it? i've only been mtbing a few months now, and i'm starting to commute alot. how do you guys blow off these people who simply don't understand the err of their petrol-fueled anger?

it still shakes me up pretty good on a commute or night ride when someone speeds by me a foot or less away honking and screaming. the "share the road" signs in my area aren't having an effect i don't think.

but on the other hand i was track standing at a stoplight the other day when a guy in a subaru (not an imba, sadface) handed me an unopened bottle of water out of his back seat as he was he had a whole case of them. told me he too was a rider, but couldnt commute due to his work attire. that makes it all worthwhile. fellow biker respect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just smile and wave (while gritting your teeth). If they're driving past you, you don't have time to make an intelligent verbal response. I get more "you should be on the sidewalk" kind of responses than the angry "get off the road" ones.

mtbr member
    The psychotic side in me suggests some sort of paintball marker as a countermeasure. Of course this is obviously frowned upon and relies upon the rider to find an alternate route ASAP in order to avoid violent turnaround from the hostile vehicle.

I once tried using a beer bottle as well... I was quite drunk at the time and that was definitely not a wise decision.

The one finger salute is also a generally more accepted practice as it is fair in the concept of an eye for an eye. The only problem is that it may not be visible to the offending vehicle when very dark areas.

Some people on these forums have suggested calling the police and reporting the car for reckless driving. More power to them if it works.

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    the condition of sidewalks in this town are criminal. roads get repaved constantly

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse

Some people on these forums have suggested calling the police and reporting the car for reckless driving. More power to them if it works.
    I have done this before, while not on a MTB I was my crotch rocket, however I'm not your typical 130MPH everwhere. I keep it around the speed limit.

One day I was on my way home on the highway, threw a construction zone. Will some jackass in a fullsie chevy didn't like the fact that I was not going much faster then the posted 45 MPH limit on my street bike which as is capable of speeds tripple that and some. Well he started being a jackass, I got pretty pissed as well but couldn't help but laugh at this jackass. there was some following and back and forth figher saluating. And while I was next to him just in fornt of his windshelid mr jackass truns on his washers to clean his windsheild. Thinking he is going to get me wet. Some people have no concept of the affect of there vechical cutting threw the air. I think to my slef also that I have been stuck out in the rain before a little washer fluid is going to do anything but help me get the bugs off my screen anyway. So eventaully this guy got off the highway and slamed on his brakes from about 10 MPH. I did a pretty nice endo. then the guy has the balls to say he is going to get out and kick my ass. I'm sitting here thinking if you do get out of you truck and I get off my bike you may tip my bike over, other then that I have a hard time thnking somebody is going to try to kick my ass in full gear. with full face helmet on, I have had another situation like that but thats a different story. Well after he said he was going to kick my ass I replied that I have his license plate and was going to call the cops.

Well I did call the cops. I had a tropper track down mr jackass once they identified who it was I was expalned that I could have this guy arrested and acutally get his ass in a boat load of trouble including jail time. but I would have to be in court. and a bunch other BS. I didn't not know this. They also said that they could just pay him a vist and let him know that I could proceed with this if I wanted to. I asked them to pay him a visit. I hope the guy realized what he did and is a little better on the road toward all other drivers, bikers, riders.

I do have to tell you that there are some Bicyclest in my area that think just becuaes they are on a bicycle that they don't have to pay attention to the rules of the road and these people piss me off as I have had some close calls with them. but generally speaking these people most lilkely don't have a drivers license to begin with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't get hassled much anymore. We'll see how this winter goes when I have to ride in the tire tracks...
    I like the thumbs down. Then I usually attempt to chase them down and inform them of their error in a polite, respectful manner. I've followed many people to their homes. They are a little bit nicer when you're standing in front of where they live.

My Brain Hurts!
    It would seem that idiot drivers are not just from around here. And why is it every car full of teens feels compelled to yell stupid stuff at a bike rider? I have called the police about a few drivers and by the time they get around to paying said driver a visit, it is always "wasn't me" or "not my son" or my favorite one, "He was yelling at my son"

Not really worth it, unless the driver did something really stupid.

Now all I do is chalk it up do inbreeding and very low intelligence when someone feels compelled to make it known to all who hear them that they are a first rate, flying ass.

And to be fair, there are a lot of people on bikes that do the most incredibly stupid stuff in traffic, I see that daily too. I really believe it is a public awareness issue and a failure on the behalf of law enforcement to correct things that are wrong. I can't count on both hands the number of times the police have ridden right past a bunch of idiots on bikes and done nothing. And twice now I have seen drivers turn in front of a bike rider and almost nail them, right in front of a police car. And you guessed it the police did nothing!

Maybe I should be calling the police on the police?

I guess it all boils down to idiot drivers and idiot bike riders are a dime a dozen. Perhaps the solution is to take out the guy supplying the dimes!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My general response is to take less busy roads. Less traffic passing you slowly. Its not like im gonna need to exceed the 25mph residential speed limit. I have tuned out alot of *******s in my day and I have found that the best way to piss them off is to not be bothered by them. I guess they are loud and annoying because they Just want to be noticed.
    I live in a small town in the frozen north, so I get 3 times more people calling my name then yelling at me. Sometimes i want to move, but stories i hear from large places don't offer much encouragement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The mono-digit salute is also one of my go-to moves... But so is cranking my arse off to catch up at the stop light and then saying some words with a less than level head.

I remember one time I was riding home from the little lady's place around 3AM and a car load of high schoolers decided they were better than me in every way. They pulled up next to me, laid on the horn then "kindly" told me to get off the road. Well, I jumped up on the pedals and karreened up to about 30mph and bellowed some profanities at them. They didn't like it much and slammed on the brakes, but I swerved and punched the passenger side window! Lucky for my fist it wasnt hard enough to break it, but man scared the sh_t outta those punks!

More recently though... I just don't care and will give the occasional lewd remark when a driver fails to observe proper right-of-way laws, but thats about it.
    For Sale: Cateye Triple Shot, modified with high output emitters!

trail rat
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If u are getting honk often, more likely u are not commuting intelligently on the road. Don't blame drivers. First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist. Always keep aside of the road to allow vehicle pass u easily and don't cause a nuisiance to motorist.

TS mention fuel price is expensive. Then u shall be considerate for motorist. Road hog them uneccessary will not birng u far. Which motorist wants to go on low gear and burn more fuel? Get yrself a side mirror. For yr own safety and be a very well informed cyclist on road. U get full situation awareness on road so that u overtake other cyclist or slow moving vehicle with confident,safety.

When knowing car lurking behind u. Be considerate, keep aside or if not possible,pick up yr speed quickly to get to a area where u can allow car behind u to safely overtake u.

I have no problem commuting on road on bicycle except a few lunatics or inexperience kid driver who just got their car license.

Be patient, be considerate to motorist and be a road smart. Know when to pick up yr speed and when to slow it down. Heed my advice and I gunrantee u will have many good years ahead commuting on road....

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    im talking at 2am, on perfectly empty roads. a person gets upset about switching lanes without losing any speed, and still feels the need to yell at me. i have plenty of reflectors, and even reflective tape for added safety on a few parts of the bike.

i would never ride slow in front of someone. if i hear a car coming, i usually pull into a parking lot and ride down it for a while, then get back on the road when necessary.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djcornbread
    im talking at 2am, on perfectly empty roads. a person gets upset about switching lanes without losing any speed, and still feels the need to yell at me. i have plenty of reflectors, and even reflective tape for added safety on a few parts of the bike.

i would never ride slow in front of someone. if i hear a car coming, i usually pull into a parking lot and ride down it for a while, then get back on the road when necessary.
    When u encounter a lunatic, no matter what correct things u do on road are useless...

Don't let lunatic spoil yr mood..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse
    I'm ready to start carrying a cheapo tiny digital camera and a note pad, twice within a mile last week I had two cars that overshot while passing into the shoulder. We have very wide paved shoulders on my commute maybe 6 feet + and these guys were almost into the dirt.

One Finger Salute six inches from the drivers side window while they blasted by was the best I could do.
    Stumpjumper HT 29'er dubbed "The Frankonmuter"

On the North Shore in Minnesota
    My Blog

g3h6o3
    Flip the finger and if he stops take your helmet off, being ready to slam it straight in his face!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by shimano4
    If u are getting honk often, more likely u are not commuting intelligently on the road. Don't blame drivers. First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist. Always keep aside of the road to allow vehicle pass u easily and don't cause a nuisiance to motorist.

TS mention fuel price is expensive. Then u shall be considerate for motorist. Road hog them uneccessary will not birng u far. Which motorist wants to go on low gear and burn more fuel? Get yrself a side mirror. For yr own safety and be a very well informed cyclist on road. U get full situation awareness on road so that u overtake other cyclist or slow moving vehicle with confident,safety.

When knowing car lurking behind u. Be considerate, keep aside or if not possible,pick up yr speed quickly to get to a area where u can allow car behind u to safely overtake u.

I have no problem commuting on road on bicycle except a few lunatics or inexperience kid driver who just got their car license.

Be patient, be considerate to motorist and be a road smart. Know when to pick up yr speed and when to slow it down. Heed my advice and I gunrantee u will have many good years ahead commuting on road....
    While I agree with most of this, at least here in the US, this part is wrong, wrong, wrong!
    First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist.

Bicycles have EQUAL rights on the road with cars and motorcycles. same laws, equal right to be there. And all take a back seat to pedestrians in the motorway, It is the responsibility of all motorists and cyclists to yield to pedestrians at all times. If you do not believe me, check your local laws....

Am I gonna play chicken with an idiot in a 1100 pound car? No way! But we have equal rights to the road.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    My sister is a CHP officer. People are usually quite suprised to hear from me after they yell at me during my commute. I like to call them (from a pay phone) and ask them what they feel I was doing wrong. They are often very apologetic after realizing that a perfect stranger has their phone number, license plate and address.

trail rat
    First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist. Always keep aside of the road to allow vehicle pass u easily and don't cause a nuisiance to motorist.
    Sorry, not true, by State and Federal Laws.

I highly recommend this book:

Bicycling and the Law: Your Rights as a Cyclist (Paperback)
    by Bob Mionske (Author), Lance Armstrong (Foreword)

Here is a small quote from the book:

Did you know that bicyclists actually have more rights than motorists? A bicyclist has a right to the road under the constitutional right to travel. On the other hand, driving a vehicle is a privilege granted only by a license. The next time that someone tells you that bicyclists don't pay their fair share for road upkeep, remind them of that and of the fact that most funding for road paving and upkeep comes from sales, property, and income taxes--not gas tax.
    Get it and read it. You have far more rights as a cyclist than you ever dreamed!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008

This is what alot of us do...

Here's the shady secret that no other rider wants to tell you, but it's something that many of us do.

You get honked at, threatened, sometimes these jerks even throw stuff at you. What do you do? Well, if you get close enough to the car, perhaps at a stop light. Don't argue. Don't flip out. Just take out your keys. You know what's next. Really dig that key in hard, and I mean hard, right into the side of the car as it drives off. It will leave a huge gash mark in the side of the car panel!

Take that driver!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby
    While I agree with most of this, at least here in the US, this part is wrong, wrong, wrong!
    First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist.

Bicycles have EQUAL rights on the road with cars and motorcycles. same laws, equal right to be there. And all take a back seat to pedestrians in the motorway, It is the responsibility of all motorists and cyclists to yield to pedestrians at all times. If you do not believe me, check your local laws....

Am I gonna play chicken with an idiot in a 1100 pound car? No way! But we have equal rights to the road.
    You are wrong. Bicycles have a constitutional RIGHT to the road, cars only have the PRIVILEGE. They are licensed and regulated by the government, bicycles are not.

Also, cars are not 1100lbs. They are more about three times that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bee
    Here's the shady secret that no other rider wants to tell you, but it's something that many of us do.

You get honked at, threatened, sometimes these jerks even throw stuff at you. What do you do? Well, if you get close enough to the car, perhaps at a stop light. Don't argue. Don't flip out. Just take out your keys. You know what's next. Really dig that key in hard, and I mean hard, right into the side of the car as it drives off. It will leave a huge gash mark in the side of the car panel!

Take that driver!!!!!
    No, do not do that. That solves nothing. Have a polite conversation with the motorist and do not get angry. If it escalates, call the police. Do not assault their vehicle. It just degrades their opinion of cyclists.

mtbr member
    When u encounter a lunatic, no matter what correct things u do on road are useless...

Don't let lunatic spoil yr mood..
    well put! there are certain things (i.e. other people... especially idiots) that we just cant control.

ultimately that person is narrow minded and self centered. they are angry and upset and think they are more important than others.

dont let a loser like that affect you... i know its cliche but 'they aren't worth it'.... your not going to change them... usually i laugh because if something like a bike in the bike lane or even in the road sets them off...... they must live one miserable existence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bee

Take that driver!!!!!
    in the state of california you can go to jail for a year for that, under the vehicle code section 10852

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d04/vc10852.htm

Frt Range, CO
    I turn the other cheek, go Zen, get some Gandhi, think MLK. I am but a little wood chip in the stream of traffic. No one can see me, if they could, they'd run me over.

My Brothers, life is to short to allow someone to take our inner peace away. Don't let them!

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    The "approach the car at a stop sign, and secretly gouging the car w/key" idea as the car drives by is my method. But, if that is too extreme for you, then just do this.... This method is very passive aggressive and gives you a little satisfaction because revenge is the best way to make you feel better after someone disrespects you.

So the crazy driver just honked at you, cussed you at, and basically just ruined your ride. What do you do? Pull up next to the guy at the first opportunity. Stop sign, stoplight, whatever. Pull out the water bottle and squirt some right in his face! I'm serious! I did this once to a jerk and you should've seen the look on his face as I yelled at him, "right, in your face F-er!" Priceless!

Booya! In your face driver!!!!!!!!!!!! In yo face!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast