Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008

::honk Honk:: "get Out Of The F@#$ing Road!"

how do you deal with it? i've only been mtbing a few months now, and i'm starting to commute alot. how do you guys blow off these people who simply don't understand the err of their petrol-fueled anger?

it still shakes me up pretty good on a commute or night ride when someone speeds by me a foot or less away honking and screaming. the "share the road" signs in my area aren't having an effect i don't think.

but on the other hand i was track standing at a stoplight the other day when a guy in a subaru (not an imba, sadface) handed me an unopened bottle of water out of his back seat as he was he had a whole case of them. told me he too was a rider, but couldnt commute due to his work attire. that makes it all worthwhile. fellow biker respect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just smile and wave (while gritting your teeth). If they're driving past you, you don't have time to make an intelligent verbal response. I get more "you should be on the sidewalk" kind of responses than the angry "get off the road" ones.

mtbr member
    The psychotic side in me suggests some sort of paintball marker as a countermeasure. Of course this is obviously frowned upon and relies upon the rider to find an alternate route ASAP in order to avoid violent turnaround from the hostile vehicle.

I once tried using a beer bottle as well... I was quite drunk at the time and that was definitely not a wise decision.

The one finger salute is also a generally more accepted practice as it is fair in the concept of an eye for an eye. The only problem is that it may not be visible to the offending vehicle when very dark areas.

Some people on these forums have suggested calling the police and reporting the car for reckless driving. More power to them if it works.

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    the condition of sidewalks in this town are criminal. roads get repaved constantly

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse

Some people on these forums have suggested calling the police and reporting the car for reckless driving. More power to them if it works.
    I have done this before, while not on a MTB I was my crotch rocket, however I'm not your typical 130MPH everwhere. I keep it around the speed limit.

One day I was on my way home on the highway, threw a construction zone. Will some jackass in a fullsie chevy didn't like the fact that I was not going much faster then the posted 45 MPH limit on my street bike which as is capable of speeds tripple that and some. Well he started being a jackass, I got pretty pissed as well but couldn't help but laugh at this jackass. there was some following and back and forth figher saluating. And while I was next to him just in fornt of his windshelid mr jackass truns on his washers to clean his windsheild. Thinking he is going to get me wet. Some people have no concept of the affect of there vechical cutting threw the air. I think to my slef also that I have been stuck out in the rain before a little washer fluid is going to do anything but help me get the bugs off my screen anyway. So eventaully this guy got off the highway and slamed on his brakes from about 10 MPH. I did a pretty nice endo. then the guy has the balls to say he is going to get out and kick my ass. I'm sitting here thinking if you do get out of you truck and I get off my bike you may tip my bike over, other then that I have a hard time thnking somebody is going to try to kick my ass in full gear. with full face helmet on, I have had another situation like that but thats a different story. Well after he said he was going to kick my ass I replied that I have his license plate and was going to call the cops.

Well I did call the cops. I had a tropper track down mr jackass once they identified who it was I was expalned that I could have this guy arrested and acutally get his ass in a boat load of trouble including jail time. but I would have to be in court. and a bunch other BS. I didn't not know this. They also said that they could just pay him a vist and let him know that I could proceed with this if I wanted to. I asked them to pay him a visit. I hope the guy realized what he did and is a little better on the road toward all other drivers, bikers, riders.

I do have to tell you that there are some Bicyclest in my area that think just becuaes they are on a bicycle that they don't have to pay attention to the rules of the road and these people piss me off as I have had some close calls with them. but generally speaking these people most lilkely don't have a drivers license to begin with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't get hassled much anymore. We'll see how this winter goes when I have to ride in the tire tracks...
    I like the thumbs down. Then I usually attempt to chase them down and inform them of their error in a polite, respectful manner. I've followed many people to their homes. They are a little bit nicer when you're standing in front of where they live.

My Brain Hurts!
    It would seem that idiot drivers are not just from around here. And why is it every car full of teens feels compelled to yell stupid stuff at a bike rider? I have called the police about a few drivers and by the time they get around to paying said driver a visit, it is always "wasn't me" or "not my son" or my favorite one, "He was yelling at my son"

Not really worth it, unless the driver did something really stupid.

Now all I do is chalk it up do inbreeding and very low intelligence when someone feels compelled to make it known to all who hear them that they are a first rate, flying ass.

And to be fair, there are a lot of people on bikes that do the most incredibly stupid stuff in traffic, I see that daily too. I really believe it is a public awareness issue and a failure on the behalf of law enforcement to correct things that are wrong. I can't count on both hands the number of times the police have ridden right past a bunch of idiots on bikes and done nothing. And twice now I have seen drivers turn in front of a bike rider and almost nail them, right in front of a police car. And you guessed it the police did nothing!

Maybe I should be calling the police on the police?

I guess it all boils down to idiot drivers and idiot bike riders are a dime a dozen. Perhaps the solution is to take out the guy supplying the dimes!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My general response is to take less busy roads. Less traffic passing you slowly. Its not like im gonna need to exceed the 25mph residential speed limit. I have tuned out alot of *******s in my day and I have found that the best way to piss them off is to not be bothered by them. I guess they are loud and annoying because they Just want to be noticed.
    I live in a small town in the frozen north, so I get 3 times more people calling my name then yelling at me. Sometimes i want to move, but stories i hear from large places don't offer much encouragement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The mono-digit salute is also one of my go-to moves... But so is cranking my arse off to catch up at the stop light and then saying some words with a less than level head.

I remember one time I was riding home from the little lady's place around 3AM and a car load of high schoolers decided they were better than me in every way. They pulled up next to me, laid on the horn then "kindly" told me to get off the road. Well, I jumped up on the pedals and karreened up to about 30mph and bellowed some profanities at them. They didn't like it much and slammed on the brakes, but I swerved and punched the passenger side window! Lucky for my fist it wasnt hard enough to break it, but man scared the sh_t outta those punks!

More recently though... I just don't care and will give the occasional lewd remark when a driver fails to observe proper right-of-way laws, but thats about it.
    For Sale: Cateye Triple Shot, modified with high output emitters!

trail rat
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If u are getting honk often, more likely u are not commuting intelligently on the road. Don't blame drivers. First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist. Always keep aside of the road to allow vehicle pass u easily and don't cause a nuisiance to motorist.

TS mention fuel price is expensive. Then u shall be considerate for motorist. Road hog them uneccessary will not birng u far. Which motorist wants to go on low gear and burn more fuel? Get yrself a side mirror. For yr own safety and be a very well informed cyclist on road. U get full situation awareness on road so that u overtake other cyclist or slow moving vehicle with confident,safety.

When knowing car lurking behind u. Be considerate, keep aside or if not possible,pick up yr speed quickly to get to a area where u can allow car behind u to safely overtake u.

I have no problem commuting on road on bicycle except a few lunatics or inexperience kid driver who just got their car license.

Be patient, be considerate to motorist and be a road smart. Know when to pick up yr speed and when to slow it down. Heed my advice and I gunrantee u will have many good years ahead commuting on road....

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    im talking at 2am, on perfectly empty roads. a person gets upset about switching lanes without losing any speed, and still feels the need to yell at me. i have plenty of reflectors, and even reflective tape for added safety on a few parts of the bike.

i would never ride slow in front of someone. if i hear a car coming, i usually pull into a parking lot and ride down it for a while, then get back on the road when necessary.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djcornbread
    im talking at 2am, on perfectly empty roads. a person gets upset about switching lanes without losing any speed, and still feels the need to yell at me. i have plenty of reflectors, and even reflective tape for added safety on a few parts of the bike.

i would never ride slow in front of someone. if i hear a car coming, i usually pull into a parking lot and ride down it for a while, then get back on the road when necessary.
    When u encounter a lunatic, no matter what correct things u do on road are useless...

Don't let lunatic spoil yr mood..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse
    I'm ready to start carrying a cheapo tiny digital camera and a note pad, twice within a mile last week I had two cars that overshot while passing into the shoulder. We have very wide paved shoulders on my commute maybe 6 feet + and these guys were almost into the dirt.

One Finger Salute six inches from the drivers side window while they blasted by was the best I could do.
    Stumpjumper HT 29'er dubbed "The Frankonmuter"

On the North Shore in Minnesota
    My Blog

g3h6o3
    Flip the finger and if he stops take your helmet off, being ready to slam it straight in his face!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by shimano4
    If u are getting honk often, more likely u are not commuting intelligently on the road. Don't blame drivers. First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist. Always keep aside of the road to allow vehicle pass u easily and don't cause a nuisiance to motorist.

TS mention fuel price is expensive. Then u shall be considerate for motorist. Road hog them uneccessary will not birng u far. Which motorist wants to go on low gear and burn more fuel? Get yrself a side mirror. For yr own safety and be a very well informed cyclist on road. U get full situation awareness on road so that u overtake other cyclist or slow moving vehicle with confident,safety.

When knowing car lurking behind u. Be considerate, keep aside or if not possible,pick up yr speed quickly to get to a area where u can allow car behind u to safely overtake u.

I have no problem commuting on road on bicycle except a few lunatics or inexperience kid driver who just got their car license.

Be patient, be considerate to motorist and be a road smart. Know when to pick up yr speed and when to slow it down. Heed my advice and I gunrantee u will have many good years ahead commuting on road....
    While I agree with most of this, at least here in the US, this part is wrong, wrong, wrong!
    First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist.

Bicycles have EQUAL rights on the road with cars and motorcycles. same laws, equal right to be there. And all take a back seat to pedestrians in the motorway, It is the responsibility of all motorists and cyclists to yield to pedestrians at all times. If you do not believe me, check your local laws....

Am I gonna play chicken with an idiot in a 1100 pound car? No way! But we have equal rights to the road.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    My sister is a CHP officer. People are usually quite suprised to hear from me after they yell at me during my commute. I like to call them (from a pay phone) and ask them what they feel I was doing wrong. They are often very apologetic after realizing that a perfect stranger has their phone number, license plate and address.

trail rat
    First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist. Always keep aside of the road to allow vehicle pass u easily and don't cause a nuisiance to motorist.
    Sorry, not true, by State and Federal Laws.

I highly recommend this book:

Bicycling and the Law: Your Rights as a Cyclist (Paperback)
    by Bob Mionske (Author), Lance Armstrong (Foreword)

Here is a small quote from the book:

Did you know that bicyclists actually have more rights than motorists? A bicyclist has a right to the road under the constitutional right to travel. On the other hand, driving a vehicle is a privilege granted only by a license. The next time that someone tells you that bicyclists don't pay their fair share for road upkeep, remind them of that and of the fact that most funding for road paving and upkeep comes from sales, property, and income taxes--not gas tax.
    Get it and read it. You have far more rights as a cyclist than you ever dreamed!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008

This is what alot of us do...

Here's the shady secret that no other rider wants to tell you, but it's something that many of us do.

You get honked at, threatened, sometimes these jerks even throw stuff at you. What do you do? Well, if you get close enough to the car, perhaps at a stop light. Don't argue. Don't flip out. Just take out your keys. You know what's next. Really dig that key in hard, and I mean hard, right into the side of the car as it drives off. It will leave a huge gash mark in the side of the car panel!

Take that driver!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby
    While I agree with most of this, at least here in the US, this part is wrong, wrong, wrong!
    First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist.

Bicycles have EQUAL rights on the road with cars and motorcycles. same laws, equal right to be there. And all take a back seat to pedestrians in the motorway, It is the responsibility of all motorists and cyclists to yield to pedestrians at all times. If you do not believe me, check your local laws....

Am I gonna play chicken with an idiot in a 1100 pound car? No way! But we have equal rights to the road.
    You are wrong. Bicycles have a constitutional RIGHT to the road, cars only have the PRIVILEGE. They are licensed and regulated by the government, bicycles are not.

Also, cars are not 1100lbs. They are more about three times that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bee
    Here's the shady secret that no other rider wants to tell you, but it's something that many of us do.

You get honked at, threatened, sometimes these jerks even throw stuff at you. What do you do? Well, if you get close enough to the car, perhaps at a stop light. Don't argue. Don't flip out. Just take out your keys. You know what's next. Really dig that key in hard, and I mean hard, right into the side of the car as it drives off. It will leave a huge gash mark in the side of the car panel!

Take that driver!!!!!
    No, do not do that. That solves nothing. Have a polite conversation with the motorist and do not get angry. If it escalates, call the police. Do not assault their vehicle. It just degrades their opinion of cyclists.

mtbr member
    When u encounter a lunatic, no matter what correct things u do on road are useless...

Don't let lunatic spoil yr mood..
    well put! there are certain things (i.e. other people... especially idiots) that we just cant control.

ultimately that person is narrow minded and self centered. they are angry and upset and think they are more important than others.

dont let a loser like that affect you... i know its cliche but 'they aren't worth it'.... your not going to change them... usually i laugh because if something like a bike in the bike lane or even in the road sets them off...... they must live one miserable existence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Take that driver!!!!!
    in the state of california you can go to jail for a year for that, under the vehicle code section 10852

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d04/vc10852.htm

Frt Range, CO
    I turn the other cheek, go Zen, get some Gandhi, think MLK. I am but a little wood chip in the stream of traffic. No one can see me, if they could, they'd run me over.

My Brothers, life is to short to allow someone to take our inner peace away. Don't let them!

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    The "approach the car at a stop sign, and secretly gouging the car w/key" idea as the car drives by is my method. But, if that is too extreme for you, then just do this.... This method is very passive aggressive and gives you a little satisfaction because revenge is the best way to make you feel better after someone disrespects you.

So the crazy driver just honked at you, cussed you at, and basically just ruined your ride. What do you do? Pull up next to the guy at the first opportunity. Stop sign, stoplight, whatever. Pull out the water bottle and squirt some right in his face! I'm serious! I did this once to a jerk and you should've seen the look on his face as I yelled at him, "right, in your face F-er!" Priceless!

Booya! In your face driver!!!!!!!!!!!! In yo face!!!!

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    though classy, i'm thinking my new go-to move is to make my movements very blunt and bold. pull out my keychain... slowly search for a good key... slowly lean over to key his car... make sure he's watching me... let him run the red light. let the red-light-patrol cameras send him a ticket. let the court take care of my sweet justice.

no actual keying necessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ...my favorite method when driving (which I haven't used on bike commute) is 'innocently' scratching left side of my face with my middle finger when jerk is passing. Also, resting my head in my left hand with middle finger prominently displayed up the side of my cheek. I

f the bozo knows he's a bozo, then he'll get it (believe me they know when their being a-wipes on the road). If some ole granny passes they'll likely not notice my subtle display.

Worked for me for 20 years, probably a little harder to pull off when biking (as I don't have a door to rest my elbow on).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Last summer I was the victim of a hit and run by some douchebag in a pimped out Honda. Off a fresh green light he clipped my left side with the passanger side mirror while I was in the process of clipping in, causing my foot to slide off the pedal into the front wheel at about 35Km/h. I broke half the spokes in the wheel with my foot causing me to endo into traffic, he took off and I was surrounded by swerving cars as I got my ass on the sidewalk. After the cars had passed I picked up what was left of my road bike to see that none of the 15-20 cars that saw the whole event stopped to help. I was bleeding a fair ammount and I thought I had broken bones in my foot so i kept my SPD shoes on for support, and proceeded to the nearest bus stop several kilometers away.
    I didn't get the guy's plate, and I did go looking after filing a police report but one year later the cops still have nothing. This guy was honking his horn at me a few intersections before the incident, so be careful when encountering douchebags on the roads.
    I commute every day to and from work without incident, 98% (give or take a few points) of drivers share the road most taxi drivers seem to be ok too. As of late I have noticed a great deal of stupid cyclists on my commute; blowing red lights, passing when there is no room, riding on the wrong side of the road, riding on the sidewalk, and of course the morons without helmets. Maybe i am glad these people are not driving cars

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You really have to play it by ear...

Confront the jerk at risk to you life and limb, lots of times it pays and they begin to realize that you are allowed to be there...catch them at the next light...

On the other hand I have been assaulted by a guy in road rage, when I gave him the finger after he had past me...I had witnesses, and the cops got him...

Play it by ear, stay safe, try to get a message out.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Photograph
    Last summer I was the victim of a hit and run by some douchebag in a pimped out Honda. Off a fresh green light he clipped my left side with the passanger side mirror while I was in the process of clipping in, causing my foot to slide off the pedal into the front wheel at about 35Km/h. I broke half the spokes in the wheel with my foot causing me to endo into traffic, he took off and I was surrounded by swerving cars as I got my ass on the sidewalk. After the cars had passed I picked up what was left of my road bike to see that none of the 15-20 cars that saw the whole event stopped to help. I was bleeding a fair ammount and I thought I had broken bones in my foot so i kept my SPD shoes on for support, and proceeded to the nearest bus stop several kilometers away.
    I didn't get the guy's plate, and I did go looking after filing a police report but one year later the cops still have nothing. This guy was honking his horn at me a few intersections before the incident, so be careful when encountering douchebags on the roads.
    I commute every day to and from work without incident, 98% (give or take a few points) of drivers share the road most taxi drivers seem to be ok too. As of late I have noticed a great deal of stupid cyclists on my commute; blowing red lights, passing when there is no room, riding on the wrong side of the road, riding on the sidewalk, and of course the morons without helmets. Maybe i am glad these people are not driving cars

...and remember, us "morons without helmets" deserve access to the roads as do the other cyclists with helmets.

ballbuster

Eat a bag of crap

If u are getting honk often, more likely u are not commuting intelligently on the road. Don't blame drivers. First of all, u need to get the priority right. The rightful owner of road are cars and motorist.
    ... beacause you couldn't be more wrong. At least not the way laws are written in the US. Bicycles have equal rights to the road as cars.

If what you say is true, then cars would have every right to chase peds out of the sidewalks.

and what is with this U U U stuff? Too lazy to type those extra two letters? No wonder you are so pissed at cyclists. You posting this from your cell phone?

That said, I try to stay out of the motorist's way, as long as it's safe for me. A car gets in an accident, it probalby doesn't mean anything more than a dented fender. If I get in a accident, I end up in the ER with a $10k bill... if I live.

The only real problem with confronting motorists is that you never know who is all methed up and trying to pick a fight. I carry pepper spray just in case. I would also gladly sacrifice one of my sweet Jericho water bottles full of gatorade into an open window for the right situation.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 08-14-2008 at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member
    I live in a bike friendly city, but if this ever happens to me (never been yelled at yet), I think I am going to try and talk to them first at the next stop (If I can catch them). If they don't seem reasonable then I'll move on to the key method

Revenge does taste good, and even though it wont solve anything, I'll still feel better.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I like to blow them a kiss and wave like I'm Miss America. I have no idea what their reaction is, but it makes me laugh.

mtbr member
    If this get me cursed, banned or flamed so be it.....

So much of this "advice" is just so STUPID!

20-30 pound bike vs. 2000 pound cart, you lose
    typical middle class good life bike rider vs. (you dont know what/who the F is in that car)

seriously just let the stuff go! I am not going to go into detail about my life but I have made some really piss poor decisions in my younger days and have lived with some of the type people who may be in that car you go up to (for 3 years 28 days to be exact), trust me all you tuff guy biker types you really do not want to go down this path, please believe me when I say there are thousands and thousands of very sick extremely violent people out there that have nothing to lose.

...court, jail, prison, beat up, bloody, living with the guilt of really hurting someone over something stupid, dead... they all suck if you ask me.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    ...there are thousands and thousands of very sick extremely violent people out there that have nothing to lose......court, jail, prison, beat up, bloody, living with the guilt of really hurting someone over something stupid, dead... they all suck if you ask me.
    You are so right. When I read some of these posts I kept thinking, what if the driver has a gun? What if he's an insane, illegal alien, gang-banger who hates white people (there have been several cases here in Chicago and the 'burbs) When someone looks at me tough or threatens me while I'm riding, I look away and move on. I need to get home and take care of my kids, not die trying to make a point to some a-hole driver.

My Biking Brothers, get some Zen, turn the cheek, move on. You have much better things going forward in life. Think how sad your loved ones will be if you're not around.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    I turn the other cheek, go Zen, get some Gandhi, think MLK. I am but a little wood chip in the stream of traffic. No one can see me, if they could, they'd run me over.

My Brothers, life is to short to allow someone to take our inner peace away. Don't let them!
    I agree with you under most circumstances. If someone just yells and honks I tend to take the sticks and stones approach. However in cases where they endanger me or threaten my safety I take reasonable retaliatory action. I don't pick a fight or damage thier property but I will give them an earful or report them. If more people realized the consequences for their actions maybe they would'nt treat people so rudely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    If this get me cursed, banned or flamed so be it.....

20-30 pound bike vs. 2000 pound cart, you lose
    typical middle class good life bike rider vs. (you dont know what/who the F is in that car)

seriously just let the stuff go! I am not going to go into detail about my life but I have made some really piss poor decisions in my younger days and have lived with some of the type people who may be in that car you go up to (for 3 years 28 days to be exact), trust me all you tuff guy biker types you really do not want to go down this path, please believe me when I say there are thousands and thousands of very sick extremely violent people out there that have nothing to lose.

...court, jail, prison, beat up, bloody, living with the guilt of really hurting someone over something stupid, dead... they all suck if you ask me.
    I always take an assertive, non-aggressive approach, but I do not let things go. I do not attempt to anger them, merely discuss the situation with them. If I deal with one of the extremely violent people with nothing to lose I'm perfectly okay with that. I'm one of them and I have long ago accepted that I will probably be killed by a motorist. Make my ghost bike beautiful.

pro
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just smile, and think to myself that I'll be the one living to 100. Although next time it happens, I will defiantly share some words with the driver.

mtbr member
    I like the ex-con's opinion! I'm not out to get back at idot drivers when they feign killing me with their car so I can't get home to my kids and wife, but if they don't look too violent and I have the opportunity then I definately have words for 'em. last month a woman buzzed me then locked up her brakes inches away from a pedestrian in a cross walk. I told her she almost hit me too and to watch where she's driving. as she screams and shouts at me with her kids in the car while sitting in traffic, I rode away (no sunset tho... it was like 5pm) that was definately enough for me.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008

Take action. Just don't hurt anyone. You will feel better every time.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2
    I like the ex-con's opinion! I'm not out to get back at idot drivers when they feign killing me with their car so I can't get home to my kids and wife, but if they don't look too violent and I have the opportunity then I definately have words for 'em. last month a woman buzzed me then locked up her brakes inches away from a pedestrian in a cross walk. I told her she almost hit me too and to watch where she's driving. as she screams and shouts at me with her kids in the car while sitting in traffic, I rode away (no sunset tho... it was like 5pm) that was definately enough for me.

That's where I draw the line. If the driver has any passengers, especially kids, I don't pursue it. And I never make any conversation (arguments or otherwise) with these people. They won't see it your way no matter what. Do something non-verbally to get even.

Things you can do:
    1. Key their car as they drive by when they aren't looking.
    2. Squirt water on their windshield
    3. Squirt some water on their face or shirt
    4. Carry a felt pen with you. Write the word "azzhole" on the passenger window.

The above techniques are very passive aggressive and revenge is oh-so-sweeeeet! Just don't talk to these people. You get nowhere with that and you don't end up feeling any better.

mtbr member
    I see that as vandalism (bike messenger vigilante style...) I'd rather speak intelligently to the dip-wads, especially if their kids are in the car- makes them fell like screaming idiots defending their right to nearly kill you because of stupidity or road rage. ya can't wash that off!

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2
    I see that as vandalism (bike messenger vigilante style...) I'd rather speak intelligently to the dip-wads, especially if their kids are in the car- makes them fell like screaming idiots defending their right to nearly kill you because of stupidity or road rage. ya can't wash that off!

I'm not a bike messenger, but yes, keying a car is vandalism. However, I see throwing stuff at cyclists as assault. There is a 100% chance that the police will not get involved in either. I'm only supporting the keying of the car, if you can catch up to the driver at a stoplight. Then, dig the key into the door and watch as he drives off.

Talking, even politely, to these people never works. Plus, if someone throws something at a rider, the proper response is not to engage in any sort of discussion whatsoever. The proper response is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by djcornbread
    how do you deal with it? .
    I usually blow 'em a big fat kiss ..... really p!sses off the local yokels down here in TN

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    You are so right. When I read some of these posts I kept thinking, what if the driver has a gun? What if he's an insane, illegal alien, gang-banger who hates white people (there have been several cases here in Chicago and the 'burbs) When someone looks at me tough or threatens me while I'm riding, I look away and move on. I need to get home and take care of my kids, not die trying to make a point to some a-hole driver.

My Biking Brothers, get some Zen, turn the cheek, move on. You have much better things going forward in life. Think how sad your loved ones will be if you're not around.
    Absolutely. JeffScott made the same point as well. It doesn't pay to escalate with someone who is already showing signs of not acting rationally. In my younger days, I would flip off a motorist who honked or yelled at me, but over the years, have had a few motorists respond to that by escalating their actions. Now, when I hit the road, I do so with a cell phone and really focus on vehicle type and license number if someone does something aggressive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    My sister is a CHP officer. People are usually quite suprised to hear from me after they yell at me during my commute. I like to call them (from a pay phone) and ask them what they feel I was doing wrong. They are often very apologetic after realizing that a perfect stranger has their phone number, license plate and address.
    That's priceless! Wish I had a connection like that..

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by old4x4
    That's priceless! Wish I had a connection like that..
    See, that is what I'd like to see the Police do! If I call them with a plate and description they SHOULD call the licensed owner of that vehicle and relate to them that they were called regarding an incident with a cyclist. And ask a bunch of questions of the driver of the vehicle.

That is what the Police would do and used to do if someone called with an assault complaint etc... If someone hurls something at a cyclist it is the same as a kid who throws a brick off an overpass at a car, they investigate that!

Who shouldn't the police do this for a cyclist? Are bike riders second class citizens?

It seems lately that all Police want to do is write speeding tickets and draw chalk lines. I do not mean to offend any LEO who read this, in fact I'd welcome your response as to why this is not investigated when we call in with a plate number and complaint.

Or would you(police) prefer the vigilante approach? Oh wait, you'd investigate that....and no I am NOT advocating being a vigilante in any way.

It is getting to the point, at least around here, where I am freakin sick of idiots yelling at me, and blowing their horns when all I am doing is riding according to the laws along the road. I'd rather take my chances in the woods with bear, cougars and skunks than on city streets with drunks, Idiots and kids.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    To the OP,

In our local area one of the ways to deal with bad drivers and cars in general is to reroute your trip through residential areas. You may find that your trip is a little longer, but faster then dealing with stop lights and traffic. The only thing I have found to be detrimental about traveling in residential areas is that every intersection can hold a potential T-bone accident because some drivers will use residential areas as short cuts and speed very fast down these roads to try and beat traffic and avoid stop lights. The car is trying to do what I am suggesting, but often they are doing this at unsafe speeds that endanger pedestrians and cyclists a like.

So, I guess I say try and avoid high volume traffic streets by the use of bike paths and residential road ways.

mtbr member

lol

Booya! In your face driver!!!!!!!!!!!! In yo face!!!!

lol

mtbr member
    People seem to be pretty tolerant about bicyclists here in Germany...gas is so expensive that there's usually just as many bikes on the road as cars when you're in the city...so I guess everyone is used to it.
    To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
    -Goethe

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I usually smile and wave enthusiastically. That really pisses them off. If you show your anger, it just reinforces their behavior. They are trying to get you mad...if it works, they are gratified and they will continue to do it. If you appear unfazed or simply ignore them, it pretty much takes the fun out of their game.

I don't have much trouble with attitude around here. People are pretty used to cycles in Oregon. I had a carload of kids scream at me on a residential street and it gave me a little start but I forced a laugh and a big grin as they looked at me out the back window. It definitely wasn't the reaction they were hoping for.

On the other hand, earlier in the same ride, me and a buddy were just leaving the highway for a back road and a VW running down the highway beeped several times and waved. Neither of us knew the car and figured it was just another rider.

Bottom line, when I am in traffic, I try to be as courteous as possible and stay out of the way. For example, when someone sees me approaching an intersection and they stop well back to give me room...I always give them a salute. Call me naive but I figure if I do a few good turns to cagers every day, the image of bicycles will only improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast