Back in the Saddle Again

Higher RPM cadence test results.

Last night I put the higher cadence information I have read (Bicycling Exercise Physiology) to the test. I was impressed with the results.

Previously I would bonk after about 2 miles into my ride, hitting a recorded drop from 124 to 44. The commute home was more a chore than enjoyable because I had to worry about my gl levels. I would get home and be lucky I had the energy to hit the shower before passing out.

Last night I began stacking up on carbs about an hour before leaving. This consisted of hot coco and popped 4 sugar pills. By the way, those are really good and low in calories. When I tested I was surprised to see my level at 88. I was a bit concerned this would be an issue but I still hopped on the saddle and went. I stayed between 4.2m to 4.8m gear range at the beginning.

When I hit the two mile mark I paid close attention to my condition, how I was feeling, if there was any sign of bonk and was glad all was well. I hit state not far past the two mile mark and stayed in the above range until I hit the hardest part of the ride, a 2.3 mile stretch of rolling hills.

When I took to the hills I paid far more attention to my heart rate, breathing and maintaining my cadence. I did top the hills faster than normal with less strain and not as winded. It also made me work both shifters more than I have before.

When I hit the steeper down hills I hopped into the third ring and maintained my cadence instead of the former mashing. It is certainly going to take some practice downshifting on the uphill from that.

I passed all my usual rest points because I didnít feel I needed them as much and wanting to keep on course. I did stop at 8 miles and tested. My level was 86 and average mph was 14.2. That was better than I had done in the higher gears in the past. I hit the road again.

When I walked in the front door I had ridden 10.61 miles with an average of 13.2 mph, max speed at 31.6 and took 48:22 min to get home. My final gl reading was at 66. I tried a uphill sprint about a half mile from home, so I burned more there than normal.

My conclusion? So far I think I found my solution of my gl issues and riding with the higher cadence. More on this as I do my daily commutes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    In my wholly unscientific testing, I find that spinning feels harder at first but once you get used to it, you can churn out the distance quite comfortably.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    What was your cadence before and what did you increase it to? I generally spin around 90 RPM for the average ride. Around 100 if I'm riding hard and 80 if I'm taking it slow.