mtbr member
    Mar 2010

high volume, faster rolling tire, mostly for commuting?

I'm looking for new rubber for my HT. It's primarily a pavement commuter, but I will be doing some rides on hardpack trails, and some playing around on stairs and small drops in the city.

It should be high volume (2.3 or thereabouts), and roll somewhat easier than the Tioga Factory DH's that I have used in the past. Some degree of pinch flat resistance would be nice, which is why I used to use the Tiogas.

I've been looking at some of the Schwalbes (Rocket Rob, Racing Ralph), but have no idea as to how good they are. Any other recommendations? They're going on Rhyno Lite wheels on a Specialized HT with a 100 mm travel fork. Rider weight is about 210 lbs + gear.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    the tires you mentioned wear out fast on trails and I'm pretty sure they would get shredded insanely fast on pavement.maybe run a high volume slick unless you're planning on hitting dirt and in that case swap out;it's what I do as I only have one bike for transport and for fun.it is a pain but it's better than wrecking my 80$ a pop ralphs.
    I turn wrenches at a not for profit bike shop in Denver called The Bike Depot

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Holy rollers?
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

I'm SUCH a square....
    Intense Micro Knobby. For commuting, I ran 'em @ 60psi (I'm a Clyde, 235#), and they rolled for two seasons (for me at the time, a 'season' was April-almost Xmas). On dirt, they're not great.

Michelin Country Dry tires roll like semi-slicks, but have some bite in sketchy areas.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Ex-Clydesdale
    What percentage of your mileage will be on pavement vs trail? Do you have another dedicated trail bike?

If your mileage is 95%+ on pavement, I would go with something like the Schwalbe Big Apples in 2.35". They'll handle city steps and drops without complaint, give you terrific puncture resistance, and lots of mileage, with the trade off that you won't shred trails like you would with a knobby (I'm assuming trails on the way to and from work?). That's my perspective. Anything with decent grip for the trails will have some sort of knobs, which won't last long on the street in comparison.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    WTB Vulpine is what I run the most. Good on the street, and for hard pack / gravel conditions, perfectly fine.

I've run Big Apples. They are heavy, but no doubt they are really solid! And not bad on hard pack XC to boot (not kidding). I put them on my father's bike when I went Vulpine.

Specialized Control LK's are solid as well. They wear better than Big Apples or Vulpines on pavement and work better on the trail.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have dirt roads and trail options on my commute (20% Dirt mandatory), and I loved my Big Apples. They are very predictable on dirt.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

PRETENDURO
    26"x2.5" Maxxis Hookworms. Much more predictable on dirt than Schwalbe Big Apples.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I forgot about those. Always wanted to try them.

mtbr member
    I use these for my commutes. I believe these are made by Vee Rubber for Origin8. Weren't very much money (somewhere around $25-$30 each). Ride smooth and very tough, when used with thorn resistant tubes, no flats in almost 8 months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails high volume, faster rolling tire, mostly for commuting?-sunp0031.jpg  

The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run a small block 8 on the front of my multi purpose commuter.

Intergalactic
    Drop the HT and get a CX bike. Much better suited for commuting
    Everyone's got a plan..until they get hit - MTyson

mtbr member
    I'm on the fence between a narrow "performance" road type tire and bigger high volume tire: do the big apples roll fast? After running studs all winter going back to slicks was a nice, albeit rough ride as my speed jumped. If I put BAs on, will that speed drop again? Just curious.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I put Big Apples on my XC Bike and it rolls nice on pavement and works great on dry dirt. When I get into the mud its a different story.

To tell the truth, I really can't tell that much difference between my knobby tires and the big apples. I would assume the big apples roll better, but I sure can't tell any difference, but that's just me.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I'll throw my vote in for the Big Apples. They roll smooth on pavement, go great on gravel and do fine for light trail riding. They're fairly heavy and expensive but wear like iron.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    do the big apples roll fast? After running studs all winter going back to slicks was a nice, albeit rough ride as my speed jumped. If I put BAs on, will that speed drop again? Just curious.
    I noticed the heft of the BA's when accelerating, but once you get 'em up to speed, they carry momentum like nothing else. Fast rolling, and smoother than anything. I don't think you'll notice a drop in speed. Just acceleration.

mtbr member

Re: high volume, faster rolling tire, mostly for commuting?

Kenda K-rads have been great. Im using 1.9s but they make 2.3's too. Inverted tread pattern rolls great on road, good on dry singletrack, ok when wet but terrible in deeper mud (2.3 should float better over that stuff)
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I don't think you'll notice a drop in speed. Just acceleration.
    My normal commuter is a Cross-Check, with 35mm Marathon Mondials on them. I usually average about 14mph on my commute. Last Thursday I had to pick up some stuff on my way home, so I took my 2.35" Big-Apple equipped Big Dummy.

According to Strava, I averaged 13.8mph there and back. Considering that the Big Dummy weighs about a million times more than the cross-check, I think it's fair to say that the Big Apples won't slow you down much at all. Interestingly, I found that while the average speed was basically dead-on the cross-check was much more variable in speed, while the big dummy basically got up to speed and just kept going no matter what.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I'm going to try a set of panaracer driver pros. I'm just going to commute once a week, long route, with maybe 15-20 miles of mtn biking in the middle of the commute.
    You got to find riding wherever you can.
    Bill

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Schwalbe Supermoto, preferably tubeless (for puncture protection and extra speed).
    Most likely the fastest rolling 26" tyre off-the-shelf.
    www.bartthebikeman.wordpress.com
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    WTB Nanos are pretty fast on pavement.