mtbr member
    Sep 2012

High pressure or easy rolling CX type tires for commuter

Hi all,
    I want to start riding to work and it is 21 miles each way with 5 miles of dirt & gravel mixed in. I bought a CX type bike but the OEM tires have a max 75psi. I really notice the difference between these and my 120 psi road tires. Any recommendations for CX type (treaded) tires in the 32c fat range with 100 psi or more capacity? I see Specialized has some but any others? Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    Oh, I just mentioned my 700x32 Panaracer T-Servs over on the 26" slicks thread here. I' happy with them. Before that I thought I needed knobbies for my 1.3 miles on dirt road, but the T-servs are smoother and have handled the dirt/gravel just fine. If it gets muddy I use another bike with more float.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Oof. I don't think it's the tire pressure that's bothering you.

Some things that make bicycle tires slower are having a tread and having a stiff casing. Your goals interfere with each other pretty badly. The tread you want for the dirt and gravel will slow you down on the paved sections.

I think you want to figure out how little tread you can live with, and get that tire. I think you're on the right track with 'cross tires. Look for file treads or low knobs. I had Hutchinson Piranhas that I liked pretty well for how they roll on concrete, and they still had enough of a tread to be okay off-road, as long as conditions weren't too bad.

Experiment with your tire pressure. For me, it's really more about handling - the tire pressure that gives me good traction off-road may give me sketchy handling when I corner a bit harder on pavement. But in general, on my road bikes too, I want the lowest tire pressure that doesn't do something weird. It did take a bit of a mental adjustment, since I was used to the idea that a harsh ride meant I was going fast.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

jrm
    mtbr member
    Really like the clement Xplor ASH tire @ 90psi. 2nd the 32c t serv rec. @ 100.

Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Might look into something in a heavy duty touring tire. I run Schwalbe Marathon tires (27x1-1/4) on my touring bike and take that on about 50% dirt and gravel when I ride. On my cross bike, I have Marathon Mondials and run those at 28-30psi on and off pavement and they really roll fairly easy (700x40 although they make a 35). I find they are maybe 1-2 MPH slower than my road bike on 700x28s. I also run the Mondials tubeless and it was that conversion that really perked the tires up, the on-pavement rolling resistance decreased noticeably.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll check out the suggestions here and will surely go tubeless. Love it on my MTB!