Moderator Moderator

Are High Drivers Less Dangerous than Drunk Drivers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Shoulda made my user name Necro. From the link:
    Stoned driving, they say, is best dealt with by discouraging people from mixing marijuana and alcohol
    I've been in recovery over ten years now. My own 'research' indicates this to be the case. One beer and a coupla bong hits = a bigger buzz than 4 beers or 6 hits, all other things being the same.
    Are stoned drivers safer than drunk drivers? As with booze, it depends on how much was consumed. The problem I see is with the method/s used for testing and how it affects different people. It's well known that a heavy smoker could test over the CO and WA state limits days after last use.
    How does this affect bicycle riders? Unfortunately we're not a large enough majority to be considered in any studies that are done.
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

mtbr member
    High, drunk, and texting! The Triple Crown of disaster waiting to happen!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Brian, very much so. Bicyclists are not immune. Last summer I saw a bicyclist all over the road. When I caught up I noticed he had a smart phone holder and was busy paying more attention to that instead of his riding. I guess I shoulda said something, but I'm on a converted Mt bike. He had a road bike. Fun to blow past these posers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I am also in "recovery" and haven't drank. I actually got introduced to mountain biking by another person in recovery and it has completely enhanced my sobriety. One thing that I noticed on brief MJ lapse that I had... when I would go mountain biking after partaking, I would feel a lot slower on my climbs and a hell of a lot faster on my descents. But my strava times were all around the same as if I hadn't indulged and it was just my perception.

As for the article and driving, I definitely think that driving under the influence of alcohol is much more dangerous than being high on marijuana but I don't condone the latter or promote it as an alternative. Driving high on marijuana being safer than alcohol doesn't make driving on marijuana "safe." Decreased reaction times, etc... Nowadays with Uber, Lyft, and what not.. it's really easy to get a ride if you need one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    sjmilin, agreed 100%. No reason to partake and drive. I'm in a weed legal state and I admit to having purchased a gram here and there. But it's one of those things where I don't do it on a routine basis. I'll think about stopping while I'm out and about. I just forget. I guess I finally outgrew the need to alter my state of mind. Either that or I discovered what a joy it is to be clean and sober. I also admit the last time I did, I went for a spin on the bike. I slowed way down, or so I thought. I don't have Strava but I do have average speed on my el cheapo Bell Dashboard 100. That was within a tenth of a mile of my usual.
    I also started a thread about riding a bicycle drunk/high, which I guess the mods decided not to allow. In WA state there isn't a law against it. Nevertheless, not for me. Too many whackos in cars that don't pay attention

mtbr member
    Definitely, but neither is a good idea.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Cannabis has been legal here in Washington State since 2014. I don't know what the statistics are on crashes but I do know that it is common to pick up that unique smell when I am waiting at an intersection. Does not make me feel any safer...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Cannabis has been legal here in Washington State since 2014. I don't know what the statistics are on crashes but I do know that it is common to pick up that unique smell when I am waiting at an intersection. Does not make me feel any safer...
    Had this happen not too long ago. Elderly lady, windows down, hitting a pipe at the stop light. THAT'S stupid!! Fortunately it's also legal to ride on the sidewalk in WA. I hope she didn't get so high as to jeopardize my safety there!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Another interesting problem in Spokane, WA. I recently met an attorney on a bike ride. Turns out dope smokers are fully aware a warrant is required to draw blood. They also don't have judges available after normal business hours. So someone can be pulled over at, say 9pm, higher than a hippy on a helicopter ride. He'll be in jail until a warrant can be issued. That = more than 12 hours since being apprehended. Guess what, someone who doesn't smoke all the time will test legal. Positive, but legal. Cops aren't even bothering. They have too much else to do. You know, the serve and protect thang