mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Help a Newb, Please. Duel purpose tires?

Hi,

With best bang for bucks in mind, I just purchased a XTC 1 with the intent of riding to work(commuting 15 mile each way), and riding on weekends(dirt 18 miles to and from the trails and maybe 19 mile of trail) is there a tire that will take duel duties? It looks like 170 mile a week 90% tarmac.

Do I just buy two sets of tires?

I can't afford a spare set of wheels so that's out of the question.

Thanks in advance.

Swifty.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    A cheap or used wheel set for commuting is almost the same price as good tires.

If I had to choose one tire, a tire with closely spaced center knobs.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog
    A cheap or used wheel set for commuting is almost the same price as good tires.

If I had to choose one tire, a tire with closely spaced center knobs.

I might do that - might just get another set of what's on it now.......

Thanks.

bi-winning
    Changing tires every week is annoying.

consider WTB nano raptor or Maxxis crossmark, or similar.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

weirdo
    Wow, you`re talking about an awful lot of miles by my standards. I`d try to bias more towards good street performance and just hope for the best on the trails.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Wow, you`re talking about an awful lot of miles by my standards. I`d try to bias more towards good street performance and just hope for the best on the trails.
    Hmm. good point, i overlooked the magnitude of the commute.

Any tire that does decent off road will wear out quick with that many road miles.

the kenda kross plus is essentially a slick, but it has some side knobs.

So, the short answer is, you will have to make a pretty big compromise if you want to rely on one tire to fit your needs.

These are how i would rank your options, best to worse.
    Choice A. Get two bikes.
    Choice B. Get two wheelsets, with two different sets of tires.
    Choice C. Go with a set of tires that better suits the type of riding you do most - commuting.
    Choice D. Get a knobby tire that will be good for trail riding, but will wear quick, and roll slower on your commute.
    Choice E. Swap tires twice a week.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    I purchased the XTC and was looking for cheap, but good and that's what it is. I wanted to save my Time Roadie for the weekends and not commute on it. There's alot of bad roads and the possibility of a little off road riding on my commute, but it's 98% Tar. Still it's 15 miles one way to work. There's nothing I can do about that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__

These are how i would rank your options, best to worse.
    Choice A. Get two bikes.
    Choice B. Get two wheelsets, with two different sets of tires.
    Choice C. Go with a set of tires that better suits the type of riding you do most - commuting.
    Choice D. Get a knobby tire that will be good for trail riding, but will wear quick, and roll slower on your commute.
    Choice E. Swap tires twice a week.
    A. I have two. The XTC and a Time Edge Translink.
    B. I think that's the plan
    C. It's got Conti Gatorskin 26er Slicks on it now.
    D. Larsen TT's ?
    E. Probably.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Why save it? Ride that thing man! Otherwise, considering the length of your commute, I'd go with those tires rkj suggested.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Obsticals like this have made me deversify my garage. I used to commute on my MTB and uses the same tires. They did not last and they did not perform well for either type of riding. Then i did the two sets of wheel thing and that got to be annoying. Then i picked up a dedicated commuter (first one was $100 pawn shop special with potential), works well for the commute and my MTB stays in the dirt (snow during the winter). My recomendation would to be watch Craigs list and the local pawns for a decient used bike that you can turn into a commuter. Wouldn't be any more expensive then a another set of wheels by the time you get done with everything and you will have the performance you want for both activities...Larsen TT's are soft rubber and wear out quickly especially on asphault

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I agree with gnslr pawn shops and seconhand stores are great places to look for a commuter bike. I scored an Olmo road bike with full Dura Ace components for $130.00 at Goodwill once.

BIG and Bald
    For the absolute best of both worlds check into these Specialized lines...I've had experience with both and both have low profile knobs yet still bite if you need them to in the dirt. The Fast Trak is the smoothest of the two.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=42241&eid=355

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=42162&eid=355

If you're trail rides are just going to be casual and not slamming into rock gardens or what have you I would look into this next tire. I've had great results with the 32c version on my cross bike.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=42147&eid=355
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm thinking on using the MTB for what it's for and using the Time for what it's for.

But thanks for the advice.