Thread: helmuts

~ B A D A S S ~

helmuts

I'm planning on getting my very first helmut and want to know what to look for pretty much. I have a feeling i actually have to try in a store to get a good fit.

Now how often do you guys fall down and hit your head? Is this kinda common or? I have ridden bikes for at least 25 years now and I just don't ever fall on my head, its some kind of reflex or something. Then again my mojo might be running out, since i got hit by a car last year.

What brands of helmuts are good?

I'll be riding in rain/snow/ice/summer/whatever more there is, well all year round for about 25km one way, 5 days a week so i want something nice. Maybe its best to get one winter helmut and one summer(ish)?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

I Ride for Donuts
    My head likes the shape of Bell helmets. But if a German guy named "Helmut" ever started making helmets and they were called Helmut's Helmets I'd be all over it.

I have found my head to be rather round, and Giro Helmets seem to be a little more oval...so they pinch me after a while. My head likes the Bell brand's shape.

I also have a Smith brand snowboarding helmet that I wear when it's cold in the winter, because it's way warmer, and has the ear flappy thingies.

I crashed once with a helmet on and broke the helmet, but not my head...that was enough for me to always wear one ever since.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

I have fallen and hit my head on pavement...twice. once without a helmet where I left a very large pool of blood behind. once with a helmet and I walked away unscathed.

I have also been hit in the head a few times while riding (usually tree branches). In one case, I was riding on a paved path, ducked my head slightly to avoid what looked like just some leaves and small twigs. those leaves and small twigs hid an arm-sized branch that was improperly trimmed by the city and that branch cracked my helmet and almost sent me ricocheting into traffic.

Giro seems to fit my oddly-shaped melon best.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I'm planning on getting my very first helmut and want to know what to look for pretty much. I have a feeling i actually have to try in a store to get a good fit.

Now how often do you guys fall down and hit your head? Is this kinda common or? I have ridden bikes for at least 25 years now and I just don't ever fall on my head, its some kind of reflex or something. Then again my mojo might be running out, since i got hit by a car last year.

What brands of helmuts are good?

I'll be riding in rain/snow/ice/summer/whatever more there is, well all year round for about 25km one way, 5 days a week so i want something nice. Maybe its best to get one winter helmut and one summer(ish)?

I have smacke d my head a couple of times...always had a helmet so no problems...(I also kind of auto matic tuck and roll lots of skiing)...

I walked into a store tried on several picked the one that fit the best. It was October so I got one that was good for winter...

The next spring I walked into another store and picked the one that fit the best...it was a summer one.

Both turned out to be Bell Helmets.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I would go and try some on, and get one that fits good and always wear it.

Last summer my wife had a bad accident and went over the bars crossing a narrow bridge and went headfirst into a concrete piller. It broke her helmet into 3 pieces, and she suffered several fractures on her face that required surgery to repair. All is good now and we actually got her back on a bike this last January!

We were only going to take a short 2 or 3 mile ride to the local pub for happy hour and dinner and she didn't want to wear her helmet, but I made her put it on. I'm sure that if she didn't put it on she would be dead today.

I'm glad you are getting one. Wear it in good health!

Huckin' trails

helmuts

Fit is the most important, and even the low end skate style Bell Faction or Giro Flak will be good enough. I prefer hardshell helmet for anything but road riding, they will handle it better to be toss around and scratch when you have to put them away at work or at the coffee shop. And they will stay together longer when you crash, also looking more badass too.

Your pick, get the best fit, more expensive isn't really meaning better protection, just mote comfort and durability. But when you crash, even a $200 helmet have to be replaced, so I won't go there coz I crash hard enough to replace the thing at least once a year .
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I've hit my head twice. Both times it was the back of the helmet - clotheslined by a tree branch a little lower than I thought it was the first time, flipped off a curb and smashed the back of my helmet in to the pavement in the second time

Fit, replaceable pads are definitely important. Avoid mesh if you're going to start strapping things to the helmet, it can get in the way (e.g. lights). Generally I find most of my helmets fall in to the $75-$100 range, and typically I get around 2-3 years worth of use out of each helmet before I replace it. That's around 2500 hours of ride time.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I have a feeling i actually have to try in a store to get a good fit.
    Definitely try some on before buying. They`re all different and if it isn`t comfortable you`ll hate wearing it. As long as it is comfortable, it`s just a 10 second time investment every time you take off and you forget about it as soon as you get rolling.

I still wear one more often than not, but have to admit I`ve gotten more lax about it than I was a few years ago- didn`t use to ride without one EVER. Have hit my head twice while mountain biking, both times with the helmet on and very glad to have had it. I don`t think I`ve ever hit my head on a road riding incedent, but it certainly could happen.

Winter and summer helmets? I know that some people do that, and it does make sense, but I think most of us use the same one in all weather. If you do buy a helmet in the summer time and plan to use it in cold weather also, with a balaclava and/or beanie underneath, be sure you don`t cut the straps too short to fit with the extra layer on your head!
    Recalculating....

~ B A D A S S ~
    Yeah I'm gonna go try some in a few days (or when they start stocking bike parts again here) to see what fits me.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

turtles make me hot
    I clicked on thinking a "helmut" was something you put on your dog to protect his head.
    I like turtles

weirdo
    ^^I think a Hell mutt is the dog whose head you don`t want protected. Likely the same one who ate your sofa, ran your cat off, and dug up all the veggies in your garden.
    Recalculating....

~ B A D A S S ~
    ein helmut ist ein helmut verdammt noch mal!!

Yeah that my best german. I seldom practice german though. (and it probably doesn't even make sense that crap )

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    I've been using my Fox Transition skate/bmx-style helmet for commuting and all-around city riding since I got it a month or two ago. Perfect for me. Prior to that I had been using my Fox Flux that I use for the trails. The Transition is fairly light and not goofy looking :P Doesn't have that poofy mushroom head look. They come in a range of colors and I got the matte black. Looks like one of those German (Kaiser?) motocycle helmet in a way, without the head spike. I'd recommend getting a helmet without a visor for commuting. Your field of vision is a bit better.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    But if a German guy named "Helmut" ever started making helmets and they were called Helmut's Helmets I'd be all over it.
    How about we add another "l" and "t" and call them HellMutts?

This guy could be the mascot.

Name:  hell_hound_dog.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  32.2 KB
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't know your climate, but where I am, where it rarely gets far below freezing, I think winter helmets are overkill.

I like all the vents!

Depending on the temperature and what I'm doing, I often layer over a cycling cap. Less helmet hair, keeps the rain out of my eyes, a little insulation if I want it... I find it a really good solution. The one I've been wearing most of the time lately is wool. I also have a cotton one and one with ear flaps.

Since even a cheap helmet costs $40 or more at a shop, I think having a couple caps is also a good way not to spend so much broadening my comfortable temperature range.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx