mtbr member
    May 2011

Helmetless Helmet

Check this out!

I am amazed at the engineering and ingenuity of the project, though I question its viability. It looks like it is likely restrictive of head movement. I'm curious what the parameters are for it to deploy, how easy is it to get a "false positive" and deploy unnecessarily, or is it possible to crash and have it not deploy. I also wonder how much it costs, because, I'm thinking you have to buy a new one after every use. Lastly, other than being a fashionista (and I'm not really sure you're being a good fashionista after looking at them, is there a reason to so drastically reinvent the helmet-wheel? If you're really going to reinvent the helmet, why not just make one in the shape of those cheese-heads the packers fans wear. I don't care about football, not even a little, but I've always wanted to wear a giant piece of cheese on my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
    If you're really going to reinvent the helmet, why not just make one in the shape of those cheese-heads the packers fans wear. I don't care about football, not even a little, but I've always wanted to wear a giant piece of cheese on my head.
    Not only are those cheese hats warm in the winter, they're aero as hell.

[lifelong packers fan]
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Probably not going to see those put in use in the next Red Bull Rampage. It would be deployed when they went over the first drop or at least the first back-flip.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Probably not going to see those put in use in the next Red Bull Rampage. It would be deployed when they went over the first drop or at least the first back-flip.
    It may not even take that long. With the jarring that occurs during normal mtb riding, even on a rooty xc course, it may deploy almost as soon as a ride begins. Which wouldn't bode well with the way a lot of folks commute in the US, either. Lots of people take cut-throughs when possible to shorten time/distance, or simply for the fun factor of it. A commute bike with 700x30+ tires on it can take a fair bit of abuse when it's not loaded with stuff on a rack.

mtbr member
    In 90-100 F high humidity conditions I want a nice neck warmer like a colonoscopy. Helmets have these nice aero ventilation openings and they are warm enough. This is suitable for those who cycle slowly to work in their business casual or suits. They are unlikely to get too much g force in shortcuts, but maybe I am wrong about that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The other interesting thought is how much does a G-Sensor cost. What kind of battery operates it? Car airbag, great, its attached to a battery which is constantly recharged so long as the car is functioning properly. There is also a system of sensors and a corresponding indicator light to warn you if any part of the airbag system has been compromised. Again as far as ingenuity and technology go, I just think this is so cool, but practically, no. The nice thing about a helmet is its a fairly refined tech in a number of ways and once you put it on, it's doing its job. The anti-helmet, to my mind, introduces a huge number of potential fail points to the helmet concept.

Brian, in the summer I like nothing more than a nice warm neck gator.

I also wonder, what happens when you and your friend are getting ready to pedal calmly down the street and you say, "Hey dude, grab my invisible helmet and toss it here." Does it explode mid flight? When you catch it? When you fumble and it drops?

directionless white male
    Mar 2008
    That company is sunk the first time this thing deploys wrong. How many hundreds of pounds of force are exploding right next to the brain? Say it catches a ponytail or an ear, nothing but neck trauma.
    A better idea--with a bigger market--would be an airbag for downhillers that protects the vertebrae.
    Disclaimer: I ride really slow.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That's a possibility. I imagine they will/are/have tested/ing the crap out of this thing. At least I hope so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am impressed at the concept and the videos, but HECK NO at this time for meself.....

mtbr member
    Always wear a helmet. I learned it the hard way
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT

mtbr member
    Its a cool idea, but I would not wear it. I did see a new helmet, that when you crash and it takes a hard impact, it sends your GPS coordinates to your preset contacts. Now that's a helmet that I would be interested in.