Positively negative
    Mar 2010

helmet light with good lux

I'm currently seeking a small helmet light that will allow me to see into cars, when they pull up on cross streets, and let drivers know that I'm looking directly at them. I don't need anything blinding, I'd guess less then 200 lumens would due the job depending on how focused the beam is. I would prefer something that is either easily removable or has a very low profile mount, as I use the same helmet for everything. And rechargeable would be ideal.

Looking around I'm not seeing anything I like, most options just seem too big or are just too expensive (hoping to spend <$50).

since 4/10/2009
    Urban 350 Obsidian Stout - Light & Motion

There used to be a NiteRider Lumina built for helmet use that was maybe 250-300 lumens, and had a built-in red rear lens, but it seems the lowest output Lumina is now 450lm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    200 lumens not going to do it, 350 min. Most of the 500 lumen or so commuter lights will dial down some. I like the cygo lite 350 and 500 lights. Helmet plus bar mounts. Look at $ 80 -100 to start with. What is your life/safety worth? Mine are still going strong after 4 and 5 years. Usb ports too.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    To be clear, I have a 600 lumen light on my bars and will sometimes back it up with a 500 lumen light on flash (when the events and festivals are in town).

I checked some options when I was at REI today and decided the Cygolite Dart 210 would be perfect if only it had a helmet mount option. I may looking into fabricating something but I may also just get a helmet mount for my Metro 500, if even just for proof of concept.

Edit: Some research shows that Niterider, Lezyne, and L&M all make a fairly universal helmet mount (semi cylindrical piece of plastic with straps). I'm gonna order one, likely the Lezyne, and see how it plays with the Dart. It won't be as low profile or as easily removed as I want but it'll be a relatively cheap experiment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I use the Cateye Volt 100 for this exact purpose. Very tight beam pattern for the center spot, I think MTBR measured it at 150 lumens on high. Cheap at $20 and the helmet mount was another $10 I think. Self contained, light weight, good side visibility, USB rechargeable. I've been really happy with it.