Thread: Head To Head

mtbr member

New question here. Head To Head

I am seriously considering a CX bike to commute on and for go almost any where fun. Some seem to allow the addition of fenders which is a plus. The two that I am pitting "Head To Head" are the Trek XO 1; http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/xo/xo1/ and Giant TCX 1; http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ad/2299/32183/. They seem to be specked similarly, but I have no idea what subtle things to look for. Which IYO which is the better choice?

No-Brakes Cougar
    I'm no expert on CX bikes, but here is one I have been eyeballing for some time : http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/uno.htm
    Much more reasonably priced than the above two bikes, and probably almost as good. And since it sounds like you're mainly going to be commuting on it, it might be a more practical alternative? Though if I really had my heart set on one of the above two bikes, I would be probably go with the Trek.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

I Ride for Donuts
    If I had that kind of money, I would buy a Kona Jake the Snake hands down. Preferably a Major Jake, in white, 2009: http://www.konaworld.com/09_majorjake_u.cfm sooooo nice.

That said, I like the Trek.

That said, Build your own! As pictured, under $1000 bucks (carbon fork even)

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

as a guy who has commuted on cx bikes

for 5 years I'll tell you it is a great choice
    be careful many 'race specific' cxers have no bosses for water bottles and no tabs for fenders
    also some have pretty race geometry and are really quick handling.

I like top mounted brakes more for car slalom than I do for actual cx racing (they are also fun in tight single track giving you the mid 90s MTB Narrow Bar Buzz)

so make sure the bike you choose has the things you need.

oh and I'd look into steel, like a Voodoo

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

and change the big chainring

from a CX friendly 48 to a 50

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Are those reflectors on the spokes?

Hey CommuterBoy,

Nice photo of your bike. Where did you find the reflectors on the spokes?

Thanks,

JB

I Ride for Donuts
    I found them in the "post your commuter photos" thread

They are at http://www.lightweights.org and they are very effective. I highly reccomend them.

My bike is a nashbar "X" cyclocross frame/Nashbar cyclocross carbon fork. $299 for frame/fork, and it has mounts for racks, fenders, and disc brakes. The frame is aluminum. I've been riding it for about 2 years with no issues.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would go with the Giant. Ergo drops. I like the tires better, more spokes, better bottom bracket interface, (Shimano > Truvativ), and better pedals for commuting. Check REI's cross bikes. They usually have some good deals in there.

mtbr member

Good job!

heck REI's cross bikes. They usually have some good deals in there.
    Been a member there for twenty years . When it comes to bikes I have a LBD I have patronized for the past 15. I am however leaning toward the TCX 1 now. Just wish it had fender mounts . I understand it is designed as a race bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Just to muddy the waters a bit more....

If your want to build your own and want the ultimate in options I'd recommend the Surly Cross Check. The frame is 4130 steel, comes with a cromo fork, has braze ons and eyelets for both fenders and racks (not something you see on most cross bikes). Another big bonus is for tires the frame and fork handle up to a 45c tire with the appropriate fender installed, 48c tires without a fender. And it uses what Surly calls their Gnot-rite rear drop out spacing at 132.5mm which allows you to use either a 130mm road hub or a 135mm mtb hub. The great thing about it is you can set up the bike any way you want. It's a very versitile frame that can be set up for anything from hardcore cyclo cross to touring. And the semi horizontal rear drop outs allow it to be set up as an SS or geared. Makes a great commuter. And if your local shop has the right suppliers (like QBP) it can be had as a complete bike if your aren't a "roll your own" type of person. IMHO the only thing that holds this frame back from being the ultimate in versatility is the lack of tabs for disc brake mounting. But we have the UCI to thank for that I suppose. Anyway for options and adaptability the Surly CC is a tough frame to beat.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You can always use a p-clamp/cable clamp around the stays to work as eyelets.

That or look at the FCR "Fitness" bikes. They have the eyelets you want. If your LBS is anything like mine, they'll swap the flat bars out for drops.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    +1 for the cross check, I love mine. I've been contemplating brazing on some disc tabs and adding a strut to the the rear triangle for added support.

That being said, my wife loves her Kona Jake.