mtbr member
    Jul 2007

has anyone converted v-brakes to canti's?

If you have changed, i am curious to know why and how it is working for you. I am thinking of doing it as I have a set of IRD canti's that are soooo easy to setup and brake really nice. Current v-brakes are cheapies and hate the clanky adjustments. Buying a nice set does not seem practical if I have these canti's to use. Plus can also use my old school Tech-lite brake levers. Could be a nice setup since cash is tight. What would you guys do? Or is this too backwards?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You wouldn't think you could screw up a concept as simple as a linear pull brake, but some of the super cheap ones really do suck. I had some low end Tektros that came on my daughter's bike a while back and I never could get them to be passable. I'm picky, but those truly sucked. I'd say go retro with the cantis until you can get something in the Avid or Shimano lines. Good Vs are amazing and I still prefer them over disks but, surprisingly, there are really bad Vs out there so I feel your pain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Whether or not you can reasonably switch from V-brakes to cantis depends on your levers. If you have levers that are designed to be used with V-brakes they probably won't work well with your cantis. (Avid Speed Dials are a possible exception because the cable pull is adjustable.)

V-brakes require long pull levers. Cantis are generally meant to be used with short pull levers, though the near-infinite adjustability with different straddle cable lengths might make it possible, depending on the geometry of your cantis.

If the "old school Tech-lite brake levers" are meant for use with cantis, then you make as well give it a try.

You may be the first person in history to switch from V-brakes to cantis because the V-brakes were too hard to set up properly.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    If you have changed, i am curious to know why and how it is working for you. I am thinking of doing it as I have a set of IRD canti's that are soooo easy to setup and brake really nice. Current v-brakes are cheapies and hate the clanky adjustments. Buying a nice set does not seem practical if I have these canti's to use. Plus can also use my old school Tech-lite brake levers. Could be a nice setup since cash is tight. What would you guys do? Or is this too backwards?
    Since you have the cantis and levers, and seem to know how they work and how to set them up, ignore the clueless replies that insist you can not do what you are doing.

To switch from v-brakes you will need cable hangers. Fairly easy to add for the rear, and the front if you have a rigid fork. If you have a suspension fork you are SOL. Can not safely add a hanger to the fork arch.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    hey this thread has changed....the guy arguing now has his posts gone! Dude had some issues! An update....friend gave me some tektro linear brakes.....however could not mount them as the fork I pulled from another bike and am now using had no brake bolts in the bosses and I am not sure what size thread manitou used 7 years ago. They are smaller than ones found on RST's but larger than older mountain bikes. But get this. He also gave me some adapter thing that has wheels to use the techlite levers with the tektro brakes. I will try them out.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    hey this thread has changed....the guy arguing now has his posts gone! Dude had some issues! An update....friend gave me some tektro linear brakes.....however could not mount them as the fork I pulled from another bike and am now using had no brake bolts in the bosses and I am not sure what size thread manitou used 7 years ago. They are smaller than ones found on RST's but larger than older mountain bikes. But get this. He also gave me some adapter thing that has wheels to use the techlite levers with the tektro brakes. I will try them out.
    Canti brake bosses have always used M6 threads for mounting the brakes. Some brakes use proprietary bolts, but the threads are the same.

I have never cared for the cable pull adaptors. Fussy to setup, rarely stay in adjustment.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I am in the middle of converting my first ever mountain bike to a good commuter. It originally had XT cantis, which I still have, levers and all. It currently has some good for the time V-brakes. I was playing with the idea of switching back, just for looks and style really. But the V-brakes did improve my stopping power over my original XT Cantis, so not sure it would be worth it.

The original steel fork is going back on too, to replace the heavy, old, and now not very functional, Rock Shox that is currently on it. But that is a story for my own thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    well you guys made lots of sense....canning the canti thing. Found out these brake levers and IRD canti's will sell well on ebay. But I also want to change a few other things too. Getting rid of the x9 rear derailleur that has a bent cage and will also sell my practically new x7 shifters. Just ordered dual control LX setup. Have a XTR rear derailleur going in. Will use the new dual control on the tektro brakes.