mtbr member

Guitar teacher wanting to commute

I give guitar lessons for a living and I'd like to start riding my bike to my studio which is 10 miles round trip. I have a guitar backpack which only holds my guitar and some cables, but I need to also bring a laptop and a small battery powered guitar amp which weighs about 6lbs and is 9-5/8"W x 8-15/16H x 6-9/16"D. I can't leave the laptop or amp in the studio since there are some questionable people I share the room with. What would be the best way to safely secure my laptop and amp to my bicycle? As of right now I have no racks or bags but will purchase them if I can realistically commute to my studio. I'm more concerned about protecting my laptop and keeping stuff from falling off than the extra weight from my gear. My bike is a GT Avalanche 3.0 disc, so I'm not even sure what kind of mounting possibilities it has for commuter stuff. Link to my bike here

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...0_20000_400308

weirdo
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Ha ha, good idea, but that's just too much, I don't have a place to lock my bike up at the studio, it goes inside with me and I'm limited on space. I was thinking more about a small rack on the back and a side bag of some sort for the laptop, just not sure what kind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Maybe something like this:

It's a Topeak TrolleyTote Folding MTX Rear Basket that slides on to their MTX racks.

http://topeak.com/products/baskets/TrolleyTote

UR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRobin

It's a Topeak TrolleyTote Folding MTX Rear Basket that slides on to their MTX racks.

UR
    I think that might of just nailed it. If I can find it in an LBS before I buy it that would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You don't mention a budget, so I will suggest a Freeradical from Xtracycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spinarou
    You don't mention a budget, so I will suggest a Freeradical from Xtracycle.
    Absolutely this. Plenty of room for guitars/amps/stands and more. It will fit your current bike perfectly. As an xtracycle owner I'm a bit biased, but I honestly think this is the perfect solution for your problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    a good rack with large panniers ought to do the trick for the amp, (presuming it ain't much bigger than a pignose or an old 5-watt Crate) the laptop and any other flotsam.... Throw the guitar on your back.. and you're good to go.
    I don't think you really need the Bob, a cargo bike, or anything else that big.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, Xtracycle, Big Dummy, or similar cargo bike (Yuba Mundo, etc.) would be ideal. Although you'd probably also be fine with some Ortliebs or similar *waterproof* panniers (so you don't fry the laptop and amp), and a laptop sleeve.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRobin

UR
    Now that is COOL! I tell you Topeak has their shizz together!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!