mtbr member
    Jun 2008

gritty fixed to ss

i have a 2011 trek Gritty i just bought on craigslist. it came with a fixed gear hub and i was wondering what i need to do to make it a singlespeed with a freewheel. i thought they came with a flip flop hub with both but i guess this one didnt.

mtbr member
    If there are threads on the non-fixed side, then you just need to put a freewheel on. If not, then you'll likely have to get another hub/wheel

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    it's not a flip-flop hub? that's how they came from the factory, also ss was original equipment on the gritty.
    doesn't really matter, it's no problem to run a freewheel on a fixed hub. just take off the cog & thread on the fw in its place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I bought a leftover 2010 Gritty about a month ago from my LBS. It was setup as a SS/freewheel from the LBS. The other side of the hub has a fixed gear on it, however i have not flipped it to the fixed setup yet.

Is the rear wheel/hub OEM??? It should have threads for the freewheel on it.
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    for some reason the guy i bought it from took the freewheel off. i got one today though. i dont know why but he had it set up solely as a fixed gear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    guys that like riding fixed don't want that freewheel on there & save a few ozs
    since you have the chance...you should ride your new bike fixed before you put the fw on & maybe you will catch on to why some of us prefer fg & there are even some that are fanatical about it
    good luck & have fun...