Thread: grease!

Thread Killer

grease!

might be the wrong forum, but i'm looking to re-pack my BB and i'm curious as to what kind of grease to use...now, it's an OLD bike (1978) so it's got the freeballin' bearings; hence the re-packing. i've got some automotive grade axle grease in my garage i could use, and i think we've got some white lithium grease somewheres too.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i works fine, its not recommended but it works fine for me
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    i works fine, its not recommended but it works fine for me
    hmm...what exactly is recommended then?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...od+Grease.aspx

im sure this is what is "recommended" but i have never used it .
    i didnt buy any because 3 oz wasnt worth it for me

Braaaapp!
    I've always repacked bearings with waterproof grease, either dedicated marine stuff (for trailer hubs, etc), or stuff marketed towards dirt bikes (which is probably the same as the marine stuff, but with color added, a fancy label, and double the price).

weirdo
    See what Sheldon or Park Tools has to say if you want to know what you`re "suposed to" use. I just bring home a film can full of the EP stuff we use by the gallon at work. Maybe I`ll check what Sheldon has to say about it one of these days.

Thread Killer
    i got a tube of phil's stuff, as per recommended by a friend at the bike shop (turns out i knew the guy, lol). i should get pics up of my finished project now

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    here is some awesome lube to invest on!
    http://ernestolube.com/

~Disc~Golf~
    Can someone explain to me "waterproof grease"?
    It seems to me like sayin' 'stinky fart'

FWIW ... I use Moly and white lithium.
    Moly for the higher load and/or faster stuff (axles) and W-L for the lighter things like shifters
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    All greases are somewhat waterproof but marine grease repels water.That is, if water comes inside the bearing it cannot mix with the grease like some other kinds. I personnally use mostly marine grease and I think it is more important to repack frequently and look at what the old grease looks like than to put the best grease you can find but leave it there until the bearing fails...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've used Finish Line, marine trailer bearing grease, Phil Wood green, standard white lithium, and mobile one synthetic. I keep coming back to the Finish Line. I kind of like the smell!

Edit: Just saw the OP picked up some Phil grease - really can't go wrong with that stuff. Used a bunch of it as a shop wrench (20 yrs ago!)

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by pinepig
    I've used Finish Line, marine trailer bearing grease, Phil Wood green, standard white lithium, and mobile one synthetic. I keep coming back to the Finish Line. I kind of like the smell!

Edit: Just saw the OP picked up some Phil grease - really can't go wrong with that stuff. Used a bunch of it as a shop wrench (20 yrs ago!)
    highly recommended by the dudes at the bike shop!

actually, they use some other kind themselves, but the guy said he uses phil's on his own bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A premium grade white lithium grease is about perfect for bicycle ball bearings. Heavier greases are overkill, and increase the viscous drag more than necessary, but are otherwise fine. Marine grades ensure higher water resistance, though most greases do fine in that category.

The main thing is that the grease cannot be allowed to dry out because if it does it will get worked out of the ball track and sit to either side like a plowed snowbank.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.