mtbr member

good combo tire?

I picked up a 2nd bike about a week ago from a thrift store basicly for commuting/street/tinker use and am wondering what a good "combo" tire would be as part of my commute involves being on packed dirt with rocks/gravel and loose sand so I want something that will allow traction in those situations but not have full knobbies as I'll partly be on concrete/asphault?

the tires that are on it are in fair condition but not sure how much longer they will last so I just want ideas for when I go looking.

mtbr member

good combo tires?

I picked up a 2nd bike about a week ago from a thrift store basicly for commuting/street/tinker use and am wondering what a good "combo" tire would be as part of my commute involves being on packed dirt with rocks/gravel and loose sand so I want something that will allow traction in those situations but not have full knobbies as I'll mostly gbe on concrete/asphault?

the tires that are on it are in fair condition but not sure how much longer they will last so I just want ideas for when I go looking

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here's one to look at: WTB All Terrainasauras

The center tread blocks interlock, so they run fairly smoothly.

BIG and Bald
    The Crossroads sounds like a tire that would work well for you. Specialized hybrid tires are amongst the best out there from my experience.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=42244&eid=355
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I used Kenda Komforts on my bike before it was stolen. Good tire, rolled really fast and did light gravel/dirt path fine.

mtbr member
    thanks

I Ride for Donuts
    I assume you're talking 26"?

My commute is a mix of dirt roads and pavement. I've tried a ton of different tires from full on slicks to full on knobbies. For me it's a matter of getting by on the dirt, and then hauling bannanas on the pavement. Right now I'm running full slicks at 95 psi on my commuter and just being really dang careful on the dirt. I more than make up the time when I hit the asphalt.

The best rolling knobby I've used is also really dang cheap. It's the 'Versa Track K' (K just means it has a kevlar belt, they have a non-K that's even cheaper) from performance: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
    It's got a killer recessed-tread design and almost runs like a slick on pavement if you crank it up to 60psi or so. It's pretty good in the dirt also. I have these on my mountain bike now.

I also really liked the Contiental 'Travel Contact': http://www.rei.com/product/709110
    It's way more road oriented, but has just enough of an edge to give you a bit of confidence on the dirt. It's dang expensive though.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)