mtbr member

Go 1 x 9 or single speed on my commuter?

I have a 2009 Fuji Tahoe Comp that I'm converting to a commuter. I've already put on street tires and ordered a Voodoo rigid front fork that I will be installing as soon as it arrives. My commute is 14.5 miles one way with some pretty good hills. I would say at least a third of it has climbs and decents. I am leaning twards a 1 x 9 just because of the climbs but am open to single speed. Should I go 1 x 9 or single speed?
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    My commute is 14.5 miles one way with some pretty good hills. I would say at least a third of it has climbs and decents. I am leaning twards a 1 x 9 just because of the climbs but am open to single speed. Should I go 1 x 9 or single speed?
    The gears help with the climbs for sure but where they will really pay off is on the flats so you are not spinning out as much (unless you're going to run a 13t on the rear). My commuter is convertible and I've tried both ss and multi. I prefer the geared on the longer commutes.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. A sales man at bike store was telling me to go single speed and I then asked him how long his commute was......1.5 miles
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Wanderer
    I vote 1 x 9 also. You don't want to arrive at work super sweaty by having to grunt up those hills.

Moderator Moderator
    Plus if you have a day when you don't feel that great, or a hot day, the gears will make it easier, especially for 29 mi RT.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I use my bike for grocery shopping, running errands, sometimes I carry a bag of hand tools to work with me...

I can't imagine using a singlespeed setup in my current city, which has hills. In Manhattan it was fine.

Honestly, I'd leave the drivetrain on your Fuji alone, at least until some aspect of the front shifting breaks and you don't want to spend money repairing it. For me, a single ring setup would have to save some weight or some money to be worth doing, and chain rings are just not that heavy, especially if you replace one with a chain guard anyway. Same with front derailleurs and chain guides.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Another vote for 1x9, mostly because that's what you've currently got.

To a certain extent, whether to ss depends on the type of hills. If there are lots of hills but they're all fairly short then you can try to attack them, and even at the end of a long week of commuting that could be fun. But if the hills are all long slogs then you'll be standing and mashing your way up which...there would be days where you're cursing the carefree, singlespeed lifestyle.

I've got an ss trail bike which is great fun, but it's geared low so that it's really spin-y on flat sections. And I converted my beater bike into an ss for quick trips around town, but it's geared so high that I can barely ride it up the ramp of my parking garage.