mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Ghetto Fender Thread

I thought it would be cool having people show off their homemade fenders...here are mine. the inner tube on the fork idea was from a pinkbike article, and the downtube fender is an apple juice bottle cut in half and zip tied on. The inner tube is lining the downtube just to protect the downtube from gravel, etc.

so far it's working great, i think even better then previously bought fenders. sure it's ugly, but they'll come off when the snow and gravel are gone!

I Ride for Donuts
    Innertube on the fork = Brilliant That's an awesome idea.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My problem with putting inner tube on the frame is that it traps moisture against the steel tubing, promoting rust. I made some ghetto fenders for my Pugsley. No pics, maybe later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    My problem with putting inner tube on the frame is that it traps moisture against the steel tubing, promoting rust. I made some ghetto fenders for my Pugsley. No pics, maybe later.
    yeah, that certainly crossed my mind...maybe i'll chop it all off aside from the spots where the fender is zip-tied

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I made a rear fender out of a plastic insert from an old shin guard. It's been working for a couple of years with no problems.

I Ride for Donuts
    A strip of duct tape will prevent rock chips and allow no room for water between it and the frame. You just have to use a little alcohol or something to remove the residue when you take it off in the spring.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    I like the inner tube stretched between the fork legs too- looks like a little rubber spinnaker. Just guessing, but I would think that does a lot bigger share of the job than the apple juice bottle does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    A strip of duct tape will prevent rock chips and allow no room for water between it and the frame. You just have to use a little alcohol or something to remove the residue when you take it off in the spring.
    Gorilla tape doesn't leave residue.

Which way? Uphill.
    During college I turned an old ski into a rear fender, no pictures though, too poor to have a digital camera then.

It was pretty easy to make, cut it in half, drill a hole for the seat post, make a gouge that went from the end to the hole, drill a hole for a pinch bolt. It helped to put a bit of old innertube around the connection area to give it a little more grip to prevent side to side swaying.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    I rigged this up last night out of my girlfriend's old license plate. I think it serves a much better purpose here than it ever did on her car.
    From Worthless Garbage

Best part is, its reflective

From Worthless Garbage
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

Off the back...
    That ^^^^^ is cool.