mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Front Inner Tube Exploded

This morning I was riding for about say 5 minutes and then stopped at a red light. Then while I was waiting my front wheel's inner tube exploded just like someone shot it! I looked down and it seems like the inner tube got popped when it somehow slithered out from under the tire and over the rim.

Anyways, now to the dilemma. I have ran out of my spare 700c inner tubes, and all I have at work is one spare 26". I'm thinking it won't fit, but is it possible? Any other suggestions that I can try? My tire is sized 700c x 28 , and the 26" inner tube is sized for 26 x 1.0 - 1.5 . Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It'll work. Just inflate it a bit and let it sit and stretch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot. How much PSI do you recommend that would be safest ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Happy,

It sounds like you blew tire bead loose from the rim. I did that twice last night riding trails with my 29er. Next time you pump air into your tires you may want to stop putting air in when you get about 3/4 of the way to your normal operating pressure. Grab the tire with your hands and wiggle it back and forth on the rim to make sure the tube is not pinched between the tire bead and rim and to help and seat the tire bead properly. Then pump up the tire to your normal riding pressure.

Sometimes certain tires will not seat their beads well to certain rims either. In my case my front tire pressure was too low for both blow outs.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, my suspicions tell me that I over-inflated it. The maximum pressure labeled on the tire is 105PSI; I tend to go above that on average 10PSI . Yesterday night I experimented and went up to 120PSI. I guess after reading Sheldon Brown's explanation on tire pressure recommendations ( http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html ) , I figured I give it a try. Lo and behold, I paid the price. I'm glad it didn't also happen to my rear tire!

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely follow your advice the next time around.