mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Fresh clothes for ride home

Is there any way to freshen the jersey and lycra for the ride home?

I cant run errands on the way home because I am so damn stinky.
    I have 18 mile each way commute that I do a few times a week.
    I have a locker at work where the clothes stay damp, and I have hung the clothes in the shower room to dry, but either way I smell like a wet yeti.

I was thinking about bring the clothes into the shower to wash them, then hanging them out to dry.

How do others handle this?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Merino wool jerseys/Tees are magic! No smell, ever. I can stink up a nylon/poly/plastic/whatever jersey in a few miles but a wool one is good for days. Expensive though. The wool tees feel like cotton.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sorry no advice here, Im always smelly on the way home..........

mtbr member
    Definitely merino. They're pricey, but 1 merino shirt can replace 5 synthetic ones. I've got a tee that I wear all summer, and a longsleeved one I wear all winter. I think I've had them for about 2 years now, and I'm much happier than when I was juggling smelly synthetic shirts. That doesn't solve the problem of stinky shorts/pants, but generally I find the shirt is the bigger problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Alright, I will have to search for some wool. Thanks for the suggestions.

Moderator Moderator
    I like merino too, but another good addition is a small fan, if you can hang your clothes somewhere with access to power. I have a small locker/cabinet at my desk and I run a fan in it continuously on low, drying out any sweaty stuff before the ride home. Works like a charm. I got a Vornado Flippi that is compact and lets you direct the air up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    double pits to chesty

A Enigma wrapped in Bacon
    Here's my drying set up next to my desk (I have a private office)
    Vertically hung piece of poly rope with loops tied at strategic intervals with binder clips attached to the loops. Hang jersey, bandana, gloves, shorts, (Tights and armwarmers when its colder) and helmet rests on the clamp that secures it to the cabinet it hangs from. fan on my desk has things dry by 9:00am.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fresh clothes for ride home-dry-setup.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Are you in Austin? Me too.

A Enigma wrapped in Bacon
    I'm from Austin, but living in North Carolina now.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I pack a separate jersey/shirt for the ride home or ill ride in wearing 2 or 3 layers and home wearing one of the layers i wore in with the remaining layers in the pack. I jury rigged some hangers so i can hang clothes in between the banks of lockers.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

I Ride for Donuts
    Those really nice MTB chamois pads get stinky fast too. Cheaper/thinner/nonexistant chamois pads do not hold the funk.

I have a few synthetic t's that I rotate, and one nice merino long sleeve... yes the merino is sweet.

But I have a couple of 'UnderArmor' synthetic t's that are pretty incredible for never getting funky too. I don't know the model or design or whatever, because they were freebie handouts at events, but they are vastly superior to your typical synthetic t. And they must be cheaper than merino...

wet yeti
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Might want to cough up for a spray bottle of Fabreeze. A couple of squirts on each article will cut down or completely eliminate B.O. Just give it an hour or two to dry and you're good to go (for a while). It's good enough to keep the stank away for a while on most all fabrics (organic and manmade) and is awesome for shoes.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Fabreeze is a good idea, I will have to try that. I usually commute in the cheaper thinner chamois. It is really the jersey that is the worst. I share cube space, so I dont think hanging my clothes there would go over too well. Maybe I can make a hidden clothesline beside the parking garage.

When the winter gets here it wont be so bad, but when it is 85f on the ride in and 105f on the way home that is lots of sweating.