mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Free Gas add out of place!

I hate seeing that add flashing when I check this board! Anyone else? Maybe we can get it off if there are enough of us.

nathan bay
    Apr 2007
    Pretty ironic.............certainly doesn't bother me, just makes me chuckle.

mtbr member

There could be worse adds

Plus there are times when I can't commute. In the winter I usually take the vanpool because riding the freeway shoulder 11 miles to work is impossible. Its been better lately but today its snowing again and this month I have to work nights so mass transit isn't an option for me because it doesnt run late enough. So I'm sure I'm going to have days where I'm going to have to drive; at least over the next week. Not everyone lives in a climate where commuting everyday is an option; or at least a safe one. If I had back roads I could ride in I would.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Everyone doesn't see the same ads (of course some do). The advertisers use software that read the cookies on your computer from the web sites that you've visited and advertise to you specifically based on the web sites that you've visited. If you do searches on how to save gas or visit sites that are remotely related to saving money at the pump, a lot of the ads you see will be "Save money on gas" ads. Try deleting your cookies and the ads will probably be more mountain bike related until more cookies build up in your temporary internet cache and you begin to get specific targeted ads again.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    yeah the old lady lips are nasty looking too...

I don't so much mind the content but what I don't like is how the thread loads THEN the adds load then it moves everything around to fit the adds. This would be better if the adds loaded first then the thread....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Firefox + Adblock plugin = no more ads.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I never go to any car related sites and my browser clears cookies each time I close it and I still saw the ad. I basically don't use any gas on my commute, as I only rarely take my motorcycle, but 250 would pay for a trip to the trails in eastern Oregon...

No-Brakes Cougar
    The ads grab keywords off the particular area of the forum you're currently viewing. Ads keep this great community running free to us, so just ignore them if you don't like them. I find them very easy to ignore because of where they're are placed. It could be worse, could be like bikeforums.net where they're imbeded right in the thread.

A long time ago I ran a forum on one of those free servers (I've long forgotten the service's name) that used to run Mail-order bride ads. I got a lot of flack for that, even though I had no control over it.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What bothers me more is my grocery store offering gas discounts when you buy certain items and giving so many cents off per gallon depending on the size of your purchase. I don't use cars and I haven't bought gas since 2006.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The "Free Gas" ad could be one of the generic ads that are displayed in lieu of you having cookies on your computer. We are on a message board designed for people who ride their bikes to work. Maybe the people that advertise "Free Gas" feel that we'd be more inclined to drive if we could save some money at the pump.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    what these ad things that i keep hearing about ???????????

Firefox + adblock FTW
    I cant spell deal with it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    "A Site by Mountain Bikers for Mountain Bikers"
    http://www.mtbr.com/
    I commute so I can save gas and mileage to travel more places to ride my MTB