mtbr member

Frame Rear Spacing

In my search for my next bike, I've been focusing on touring and cycle-cross models, as it will spend most of it's time on the road but down here our roads are kinda rough and a good few are unimproved (read as unpaved). I had the idea to try to stay with disc brakes and 132.5 - 135mm rear spacing so I could swap in my 29er wheel set when needed/necessary. There are plenty of these frames and bikes out there, but I'm starting to question my rear spacing premise: Is there any benefit to 132.5 - 135mm hubs on a mainly road/gravel bike? Yeah it's burlier so as to take more abuse,but the most this bike will take is hopping a few curbs, hucking over small potholes,and rolling dirt roads/fire roads on fun rides and visiting. I'm wondering if 130mm hub bikes I've been passing up wouldn't do just as well (but I'm sticking with discs though, either cable or hydraulic), and just would mean having to get a different sized spare rear wheel. What do you all think?
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Frame Rear Spacing

If anything you have a better selection of 135mm disc hubs and wheelsets than 130mm. I doubt there will be any sort of significant performance improvements or anything

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    What NateHawk said. A lot more disc hubs available in 135mm. 132.5 is a nice compromise that allows you to go either way.

mtbr member
    Finding hubs isn't as much a problem as looking for the right bike. Through my searches I've come across a few that were rather nice that might work for me, and I didn't want to overlook a viable choice just because it didn't have the magic number.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Reinstalling a rear wheel, geared with a rotor into a 132.5 mm spaced frame is a royal pain b/c you have to spread the drop outs in order to get the wheel in the drop out. Then you have to get the wheel set in the dropouts. I have a A23 wheelset built up with DT 350 MTB hubs. Yeah i was kinda expensive but the quality of the ride is great and its proven very durable as well.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If steel, you can always spread a 130mm frame to 135 to use standard hubs, though as jrm notes, it can be a pain (my 132.5 frame uses cantis, so I can't comment specifically on discs). Just gives you a bit more flexibility and perhaps cost-savings, since I am unaware of any inexpensive, good-quality 130mm disc hubs.

mtbr member
    I saw a thread or two about spreading the dropouts, and read an article from Sheldon Brown, but I dislike the idea of 'adjusting' a frame to be wider than it was built to be. I just wanted to question weather I was setting an arbitrary (and unnecessary) standard for myself. The search will continue.

spreading a frame for use with discs would absolutely require re-facing the disc tabs. just a bit annoying. If you want disc, just go 135mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    spreading a frame for use with discs would absolutely require re-facing the disc tabs. just a bit annoying. If you want disc, just go 135mm.
    Yeah, that looks like what I'll be doing then. When i go back over the various bikes/frames that are on the short list, they are all 135mm. Glad my instincts were right, but 3rd and 4th opinions are a good thing.