Found a new house, importance to biking

Been living with the folks for awhile until the wife and I sold our house in TX. That hasn't been going so well, so we've begun the process to give the house back to the bank. We began looking a few weeks back and found one that looks pretty good the other day. If all goes well, we should sign a lease tomorrow.

As for its relation to biking: It sits where 2 bike lanes intersect, and there is a MUP about a mile away. Not too shabby for commuting/errands. It's right across the street from a grocery store, so there's not much need to drive at all, unless we need to make a big trip. It is a couple miles further away from nearby mtb trails, but that's not a huge deal. It does have a dry, unfinished basement that would make for a perfect gear storage area/workshop.

mtbr member
    Good luck, hope it goes thru.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Been living with the folks for awhile until the wife and I sold our house in TX. That hasn't been going so well, so we've begun the process to give the house back to the bank. We began looking a few weeks back and found one that looks pretty good the other day. If all goes well, we should sign a lease tomorrow.

As for its relation to biking: It sits where 2 bike lanes intersect, and there is a MUP about a mile away. Not too shabby for commuting/errands. It's right across the street from a grocery store, so there's not much need to drive at all, unless we need to make a big trip. It is a couple miles further away from nearby mtb trails, but that's not a huge deal. It does have a dry, unfinished basement that would make for a perfect gear storage area/workshop.
    There's a guy named Alex that works/used to work at Microsoft who had an excellent ethos when it came to choosing houses. Some background on Alex: He builds his own bikes, has welding setup, has a frame jig... very technical, thinks things through, and the person who's opinion I respect the most out of anyone else I talk to about bicycles with the exception of a differing opinion on tires.

Alex went house hunting, and gave his real estate agent very specific guidelines: The house must be located within x boundaries, and have these features. The estate agent suggested one really nice house, but he said no, due to the lack of proximity to cycling facilities and supermarkets. The estate agent suggested another house, again, very nice, but still in the wrong location, with similar results. Finally, she found one that wasn't as nice, located exactly where he wanted it: 4 blocks from a supermarket and pharmacy. 6 blocks from a trail. 8 blocks from a dentist and doctor. 14 blocks from the shuttle that took him to work, or 4 blocks from the closest bus. Access roads in the neighborhood that facilitated low traffic avenues to all the facilities he went to frequently.

He bought it without too many second thoughts.

I talked to him about his buying a house 2 years on, and in that time the entire family (wife + 1 child) the Subaru they have has put 3000 mi on the odometer. They walk and bicycle everywhere. He never has to worry about being able to get home, food, whatever whenever it snows because he can just walk wherever he needs to go.

My fiance keeps suggesting places in the middle of nowhere for us to look at, and calls me picky for continually saying no, even though they're within financial reason for initial purchase. We'd be able to buy the house, but we'd have to spend tons and tons of money - and time - getting to and from places we go to frequently. FWIW, we live 4 blocks from where she works, because she has vision issues and should not be driving at night. 7 minute commute for her. I have a 2 hour commute each way. I UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING CLOSE TO STUFF YOU DO FREQUENTLY...

Signed the lease today. Neighbor was picking his guitar on the front patio when we pulled up. Found out an old high school friend (now a doctor, and who just a couple months ago bought a road bike) lives just around the corner. I think I will like this house.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Congrats on the house. We used to live 2 blocks from the supermarket and about a mile from Target/pharmacy/Borders/Gucci supermarket/bagels/etc. It was so nice to just walk places.

Ironically it was in the Los Angeles metro area. If we could have found jobs in the same city and not 30 miles in opposite directions from one another, my wife and I and our son might still live there.

This place is not close to any fantastic shopping of any kind. Just groceries. Not too terribly far from a couple of breweries. Could bike to get growler fills. Not too far from a few local food joints. Also a nearby community veggie garden. All-in-all, not a bad location

jrm
    mtbr member
    Nice, sounds like my current situation as well. Looked at a place two blocks from a trailhead over the weekend but once i drove around and began analyzing the commute options i was like, nope. Also in the winter its nice to have groceries and pubs within walking/riding distance.

PS: where are the pics of the Vaya?
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

The Vaya is sitting at the shop still. Haven't picked it up. I don't have the headset yet (should be here soon). When the headset comes, I'll head over to the shop to pick up the frame and press it in (don't want to bugger up a Cane Creek 110 with a homemade press). Once I get that done, the rest should be fairly simple. I'll need some bar tape and cables/housings to finish it off.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the house, Nate.

Last year my wife wanted a bigger place since we were just in a 1bdrm. Her work is 10mi out of town, so for her there's really no such thing as a "good" location. It's a big deal for me though, and there was no way I was going to buy a second car.

So I picked 6 or 7 central neighborhoods, and said that was where we could look. That meant we weren't looking at brandnew stuff in the suburbs, but there was a pretty good mix of old/renoed/infill houses/duplexes/condos.

We ended up just moving into a bigger condo. That's good because there's basically no housework - no lawns to mow, snow to shovel, gutters to clear, etc. so I have lots of time for bikes and the dog. And if my wife was out of town with the car, I could live carfree for weeks without a problem.

It's sortof bad because it basically limits me to 3 bikes - if we'd bought a house I'm sure I'd have 5 bikes by now. But just yesterday I realized that there's some space above the washer and dryer where I'm sure I could fit a fatbike, so who knows...

Ha! Yeah, my wife works well out of town, also, so she has to drive no matter what. I need to be in town, because that's where the permanent opportunities for me are going to be. We really needed to have a standalone house with a garage (and hopefully a shed). Four bikes, a canoe, backpacking gear, yard maintenance equipment from when we owned a house. We were also limited to a specific part of town, because of the location of where my wife works, and that Indianapolis is the largest city we've lived in. We could have found a newer place closer to the edge of town, but those homes are the super cheaply built vinyl-sided, vinyl floors, thin-walled homes that blow away if a tornado even looks at them wrong. There really aren't any condos in the area...nothing worth looking at anyway. There are a few townhouse communities, but they're all old and not well-kept. In the downtown area, there are some new townhouse/condo communities in some redeveloped areas, but they're WAY over our budget.

We had a neighborhood in mind we wanted to live in. Historic homes, awesome Halloween Festival every year, lots of trees, an active garden club, lots of bike lanes and two MUP's. Problem was, there were ZERO rentals there. The place we got is a pretty good substitute. It was built in 1957, so it's older, but it's an all-brick exterior with limestone accents and a cinder block garage, so it's a damn sturdy house. It's only a mile from the edge of the neighborhood we wanted (by bike lane) and maybe another mile from the central commercial district of that neighborhood (with awesome local food and brewery). I can get to downtown Indianapolis entirely by bike lane from this house. The downtown summer farmer's market is finished for the year, but the winter farmer's market will be starting up soon, so it enables market runs (it's actually easier to get downtown by bike lane than by freeway). Plus, via downtown, I can get to a lot of other fun places using the existing bike facilities for now, until the outskirts of town get built out more in coming years (the city has big plans to expand its bike lanes from the current 60-ish miles to over 200 within the next 10yrs and expand its greenways/MUP/protected paths to over 100 miles in the same timeframe).

My wife is excited we have enough storage that she ought to be able to park in the garage all winter. Drawbacks are that the yard isn't completely fenced. 2 neighbors have fencing, but the front side doesn't and one neighbor on the side doesn't. The landlord is open to me making improvements to the property, but I'm not sure if getting the yard fenced is something I want to do. That one will take some thought. It probably wouldn't be super expensive, but it's something to think about because it is going to cost more than I really wanted to invest into any individual improvements. The yard is actually quite substantial, so mowing all that space will be a bit of a drawback. At least I already have a mower. I'll need to get it serviced because all the sand/dust in TX was hard on it. The driveway is kinda long, too. At least it's flat, but I've already mentioned to the wife that a snowblower might be worthwhile. We're on sort of a busy street, so the city plows will probably give us a nice pile at the end of the driveway we'll have to shovel regardless. Having a snowblower for the rest would help.

I'm pretty stoked about the basement bike shop space I'm getting. The basement is divided into two rooms, that are roughly half of the space down there. One room is where the furnace, water heater, and w/d hookups are. The other was sorta finished a long time ago and has linoleum tiles on the floor. I want to turn that one into my bike shop/gear storage area. I'm glad I kept my workbenches. I was going to touch up the walls with some Drylok and see if the existing flooring will be adequate, or whether it'd be worthwhile to toss down some kind of mat on top for my workspace.